Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-04-2014, 21:41   #3346
livinsane

For those of ye that have introduced solids, when did ye start giving the baby extra water with meals instead of milk?
My six month old is well established on three small meals a day. He is a great eater and really enjoys it. He is nursing less during the day, as expected. He nurses alot in early morning and evening time. I feel like he is still getting a lot of milk but there is no pattern as I just offer it constantly during the day incase he's thirsty. He'll take a few sups but Im worried I'm forcing it on him too much! He has plenty wet nappies and gaining weight so Im not worried about dehydration but after months of constant nursing it is hard to get used to spacing out the feeds.

I've offered him cooled boiled water in a bottle or sippy cup but he mostly just chews the teat.
Advertisement
13-04-2014, 23:17   #3347
cyning

With C I introduced water with every meal from the start. It was awhile before she started drinking it but it was there if she wanted it. She cut feeds with solids but reintroduced them after!! She's 21 months now and loves her water so I'd definitely introduce it now even to let her get used to it.
Thanks from:
14-04-2014, 17:24   #3348
livinsane

Well with today's heat, it's as good a day as ever to have some water! I will have it there for every meal so. From what I've read it doesn't have to be boiled anymore which makes it less hassle too. I put an empty bottle in the change bag too. Still not sure whether I should offer milk with every meal or just water and keep the milk feeds separate.
15-04-2014, 21:00   #3349
kknitter

Hi soooky, cyning, I understand your little ones have silent reflex, could you please let me know what are the symptoms you spotted? The more I read the more I am convinced my LO has silent reflux.
15-04-2014, 21:12   #3350
lilmissprincess

E is super fussy and clingy today. Will only sleep on us and for a max of half an hour after which he's back crying for a feed, which goes on for about twenty minutes! He seems to be getting a lot but I'm afraid he'll milk me dry before bedtime if he keeps going like this and I'll wind up having to use formula Is this normal at 3 weeks?
Advertisement
15-04-2014, 21:34   #3351
cyning

Lilmissprincess it sounds like a growth spurt and they are really tough. Just keep feeding feeding feeding. It's her way of increasing milk supply so don't give formula: she might be unsettled etc but that's regardless of how they're fed during a growth spurt. Hang in there it passes trite as that sounds.

Kknitter with my first little girl she used arch her back after feeds and we could here her swallowing back when burping her or if we laid her flat. She also roared if we lay her flat!
15-04-2014, 21:43   #3352
kknitter

Cyning, he archs his back alright but more like stretching after a sleep and straightens soon enough. He cries or is fussy in evening not in mornings or after all feeds. He has hiccups though more frequent like 4 or 5 times or more during day, nothing in night. He started coughing, like dry coughs in day few times a day. He doesn't nap at all during day, just like cat nap one or twice in day for 15 mins. He sleeps soundly in night, just waking for feeds and sleeps soon after. I am sorry I am not looking for medical advice but just symptoms you might have noticed.
15-04-2014, 23:30   #3353
Soooky

Kknitter, with my LO it was always very hard to get her wind up, she would cry because she had wind pains but nothing would come up! She used to hiccup several times a day and was quite fidgety too. I spoke to my PHN on numerous occasions and my GP and was told she would grow out of it etc (1st time mama but I still felt something wasn't right) It all came to a head St Patricks week. She was drooling loads, blowing bubbles with her drool, irritable all day but nights were worse! She would spend most of the night thrashing about in bed in her sleep, tossing and turning her head from side to side, arching her back and whimpering. We had her in a cocoonababy bed which is supposed to prevent reflux - if that's the case I would hate to see how she would have been in a cot!) I would have to take her out of her bed and sit up with her upright on my chest all night rubbing her back trying to soothe her - she was literally half asleep with exhaustion and still arching and thrashing and jerking! Then she had 3/4 episodes where she would be sitting on my lap happy enough & quiet and all of a sudden she would start screaming in pain - she could not even catch her breath I can only describe the cry like someone had poured a kettle of boiling water over her! The stress of it was unreal - I was in tears myself to hear her in pain.

She is now on zantac and infant gaviscon and hugely improved! We also went to a chiropractor which really helped I really hope your LO doesn't have silent reflux - you can PM me if I can help in any way

Last edited by Soooky; 15-04-2014 at 23:33.
15-04-2014, 23:35   #3354
Soooky

Also meant to say that at night we could hear her refluxing and swallowing again and she used to cough & sneeze a bit too - we kept thinking she had caught cold
Advertisement
Yesterday, 09:28   #3355
kknitter

Thank you very much Soooky for the details. Appreciate it. My LO doesn't cry that much, he does burp most of the time. He feeds every 1 to 1 and a half hour. He is 10 and a half week old. He does gets hiccups, when he cries most of the time he seems hungry and when latched he is fine. Not sure If he is comfort feeding, but he is happy as larry other times. I might be overthinking I guess he does have hiccups and few times cough and twice he was drooling and bubbles.
I will get an appointment with phn and then may be gp just to ease my worries.
My husband is tired of me being worried for every little thing like if the nappy is a bit lighter I start worrying
Yesterday, 16:41   #3356
Sligo1

Does anybody know if its ok to re-refrigerate expressed breast milk? Basically I took 2 x 150ml bottles on a trip to nanas today which took 3 hours. I know it can be left out for around 6 hours so was wondering if I could put the bottles back in the fridge to give one to my 3 week old baby this evening? Thanks.
Yesterday, 16:46   #3357
How Strange

Unless it was sitting in direct sunlight I'd say absolutely yes.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 17:54   #3358
Sligo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Strange View Post
Unless it was sitting in direct sunlight I'd say absolutely yes.
Ah that's brilliant. Thanks a mill. Id hate to waste it. It was in a bag away from sunlight.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion