Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Carbs, is this healthy/good/too much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

This is my most popular of thread on boards ever. Delighted with that.
    I think the big thing is to find out what works for you. There is no 1 size fits all diet. You take some advice try it. If it works you keep it, if it doesn't you try something else.
    Last week I ate porridge in the morning. I felt great last week, this week I have substituted porridge with eggs and salad. I don't feel as great. Maybe I need to keep a small element of carbs in my diet.

An element of everything. Just keep the calories in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

An element of everything. Just keep the calories in check.

That is not good advice. An element of everything (everything in moderation) is the message we've been told for the last 50 years. Has it worked? To advise someone who is trying to lose weight that a bit of everything is fine simply makes it much more difficult to lose weight. If they do succeed the likelihood is that the element of everything will result in the weight going back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Bruno26 wrote: »
    That is not good advice. An element of everything (everything in moderation) is the message we've been told for the last 50 years. Has it worked? To advise someone who is trying to lose weight that a bit of everything is fine simply makes it much more difficult to lose weight. If they do succeed the likelihood is that the element of everything will result in the weight going back on.

You're insane. How can you blame the advice? People don't do it, there's nothing wrong in advice. Cop on.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

This is simply untrue. The best "diet" is one that can be adhered to in the long term, a lot of us who are very interested in training and nutrition can find strict diets tough. How long is average joe going to stick it out if he has to eliminate most foods?

People need to eat more dietary fat, the low fat diets have caused more harm than good. But people do not need to eliminate carbs and their favourite foods

You can be strong / lean and healthy and still eat a snickers or a bap every day

conzy wrote: »
    This is simply untrue. The best "diet" is one that can be adhered to in the long term, a lot of us who are very interested in training and nutrition can find strict diets tough. How long is average joe going to stick it out if he has to eliminate most foods?

People need to eat more dietary fat, the low fat diets have caused more harm than good. But people do not need to eliminate carbs and their favourite foods

You can be strong / lean and healthy and still eat a snickers or a bap every day

All you are eliminating is processed foods containing grains and sugar, i.e. 3/4 of the supermarket.

So there is not enough food choice for the average person in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, veg, fruit, nuts, seeds, spices? What is strict about that.

Yes you can but there is no need to consume a snickers bar / bap if you eat properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Yes you can but there is no need to consume a snickers bar / bap if you eat properly.

And there's no need not to if you can fit it into your diet while still achieving your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That is not good advice. An element of everything (everything in moderation) is the message we've been told for the last 50 years. Has it worked?

Yes it works. Its when people don't eat in moderation that there are issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The OED just called, Bruno. They're updating the definition of 'irony':
    That is not good advice.

The OED just called, Bruno. They're updating the definition of 'irony':

How was it ironic?

An element of everything could mean eating mostly crap in the belief it's good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

An element of everything could mean eating mostly crap in the belief it's good for you.

Could...if you're a fcuking idiot...but nobody here is advocating that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Maybe we should just ignore Bruno? It seems every thread is descending into a row due to his nonsense. I know regular posters here feel a responsibility to refute his more outrageous claims but maybe if everyone just resisted the urge we might hear a little less of said nonsense?

How was it ironic?

If people feel they could adjust their eating habits without too much tweaking, e.g. adjusting portion size, you'll get a lot more buy in than if they think they have to change their diet completely so that they eat exactly like you.

I have given lectures, if that adds any weight to my post...

Maybe we should just ignore Bruno? It seems every thread is descending into a row due to his nonsense. I know regular posters here feel a responsibility to refute his more outrageous claims but maybe if everyone just resisted the urge we might hear a little less of said nonsense?

Then you'd have new users or casual readers seeing his bullsh1t statements and taking them as truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Yeah I know what you're saying. It's so frustrating

What nonsense and outrageous claims have I written about?

If people feel they could adjust their eating habits without too much tweaking, e.g. adjusting portion size, you'll get a lot more buy in than if they think they have to change their diet completely so that they eat exactly like you.

No it doesn't.

That would depend on what you've said in lectures, who you are lecturing for and to what audience, what you've been educated on, how well read you are, what you believe to be true, do you have vested interests, etc.

What nonsense and outrageous claims have I written about?

Eating at a surplus will not cause you to put on weight as long as you do not eat sugar or wheat.

^^ that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I think that's his point...

The people that were giving the lectures for 30 years were wrong.....

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    I think that's his point...

The people that were giving the lectures for 30 years were wrong.....

Of course that would include Tim Noakes

Eating at a surplus will not cause you to put on weight as long as you do not eat sugar or wheat.

^^ that one.

Incorrect. I never said that. Get your facts right.
    Sugar (including fruit), all grains, limit starchy veg and certain nuts. You can eat a surplus and you will not get fat if you follow a hflc way of eating. If you are fat you will lose fat. That is what I said.

• Advertisement

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Of course that would include Tim Noakes

Indeed- he was also wrong. He's been very honest and has openly admitted that.

No it doesn't.

That would depend on what you've said in lectures, who you are lecturing for and to what audience, what you've been educated on, how well read you are, what you believe to be true, do you have vested interests, etc.

I have many leather bound books.

I've read more than one of Dostoyevsky's works.

I have no vested interests.

I have many leather bound books.

I have no vested interests.

Have you ever been wrong?:D

Indeed- he was also wrong. He's been very honest and has openly admitted that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Every day I come on to this forum. Every day I see the same people having the same debate, across multiple threads. I'm tired of it. Other posters are tired of it.

So this is it. It stops now. If you guys want to argue this same thing everyday, all day long, by all means do so, but dont do it here. WE GET IT. Bruno doesnt like carbs.

From here on in, on topic, relevant and not repetitive are the watchwords to bear in mind when posting. This kind of petty ongoing debate will get you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I call bull**** :)

Name all three Karamazov brothers without cheating...

Incorrect. I never said that. Get your facts right.
    Sugar (including fruit), all grains, limit starchy veg and certain nuts. You can eat a surplus and you will not get fat if you follow a hflc way of eating. If you are fat you will lose fat. That is what I said.

You are full of sh1t bruno. You said exactly that you spoofer.
    Weight will be lost due to elimination of sugar & grains and therefore most carbs also. Eat over daily calorie amount and you will still lose fat

Here are some more nonsense claims you made.
    My point us you can eat more calories than put out and nit gain weight but actually lose and maintain weight
    it's not possible to get fat from green veg
    You cannot get fat from eating too much meat, fish, butter, cream veg, some fruit, some nuts

edit: sorry mod, i was putting this together before you posted.

ford2600 wrote: »
    I call bull**** :)

Name all three Karamazov brothers without cheating...

Des, Johnner and I forget the other one.

Tommo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Des, Johnner and I forget the other one.

Tommo

What about Waxer Karamazov and Paddy Joe Karamazov ?

• Advertisement

You are full of sh1t bruno. You said exactly that you spoofer.

I'm not and I'm no spoofer. That's an intelligent way to win an argument. Well done.

You changed something I said. You've just proven I've been consistent. Thanks.

I stand over all of what I said. It works for me. I firmly believe it would work for anyone.

Advertisement