Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Avoiding Carbs, is this healthy/good/too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

ford2600 wrote: »
    There was a time when I was probably worse, jaffa cakes and milkados.

Don't know why, and haven't heard anyone else report it, but upping fat made it very easy for me to cut out such stuff. Lots of lads really struggle to cut sugar.

Have seen the opposite to, when people are advised to reduce fat, sweet tooth often gets worse.

Exactly. Google appestat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Why? Have you a vested interest in this area?

Bruno, the problem is you're a neophyte. You've found something that works for you and good luck to you.

But you're jumping from thread to thread peddling it as gospel without referencing an ounce of academic research to back it up.

Referencing bukes or youtube doesn't count.

Keep it simple.....stick with advising on unprocessed food and the wheat and grain craic.

If you want, suggest what works for you. But the valid part of what you say is being lost in your zeal to reference youtube and bukes.

Bruno, the problem is you're a neophyte. You've found something that works for you and good luck to you.

But you're jumping from thread to thread peddling it as gospel without referencing an ounce of academic research to back it up.

Referencing bukes or youtube doesn't count.

Keep it simple.....stick with advising on unprocessed food and the wheat and grain craic.

If you want, suggest what works for you. But the valid part of what you say is being lost in your zeal to reference youtube and bukes.

Why respond to a question directed at someone else? I'm sure they can speak for themselves.

I'm not advising anyone-just giving an opinion. You'd want to be deluded to take advise from here.

I'm a neophyte as opposed to you who first posted in this forum 10 months ago! Just because I've only recently posted does not mean I'm new to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm a neophyte as opposed to you who first posted in this forum 10 months ago! Just because I've only recently posted does not mean I'm new to this.

I wasn't referring to your time on boards.

You're not giving an opinion. You're ramming it down throats.

It's not my intention to have a go. It doesn't offend me. I just think there are better ways of saying what you have to say.

I've given my opinion to the OP so there's not much point in conducting a debate that's spread across a load of threads now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

OP just a few comments
    * You've lost 3 stone, well done; you obviously have corrected something and know what you are doing.
    * Nobody knows your body better than you. If you learned something that works, by accident or by taking on advice, stick to it.
    * You eat a lot of whole foods and obviously cook; your a lot of the way there
    * What works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa

I think you post in cycling forum and I will be starting a thread there soon on cycling and food. Over the years I've gotten more and more interested at your typical cyclist/sportive rider and their struggles with weight. My thread will generate more questions than answers but it may interest you

10 months into a 12 month experiment on eating high fat low carb to power ultra long distance cycling and will at end detail MY experiences. I should add I've never been overweight and don't run that badly on high carb.

However most guys I know that cycle, other than the skinny mountain goat types, struggle somewhat with weight and are convinced that high carb is the only way to power cycling. I know guys who do race the ras and despite cycling 400km plus a week struggle with weight.

Definitely will keep an eye on that. It was doing long cycles that threw my diet off track. I just started cycling to get fit, and set myself a goal of the ring of Kerry, - 2 more weekends then the big day! Once that is out of the way I will probably move onto crossfit (need to get functionally fit - years of functioning over weight has left my legs out of balance and not so functional, and prone to little niggly injuries) and rugby pre season

And folks, thanks a million for all the comments and discussion, regardless of the difference in opinion, it all aids nutrition education in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Don't do this again, guys. Just don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

You need carbs,fat,protein,water to stay alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jimmyie wrote: »

Wise words.

In fairness Jimmyie, we have kind of already established that, but we have moved on to discussing the quantities involved.

Please feel free to critique my initial post and let me know if in your opinion the quantities of carbs, fat, & protein are correct, or would you recommend any changes or tweaks to it?

I drink loads of water so I am happy enough in that department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

In fairness Jimmyie, we have kind of already established that, but we have moved on to discussing the quantities involved.

Please feel free to critique my initial post and let me know if in your opinion the quantities of carbs, fat, & protein are correct, or would you recommend any changes or tweaks to it?

I drink loads of water so I am happy enough in that department.

Input your diet into a calorie counter, find the macro breakdown ie ratio of carbs/fats/protein in grams. Post your weight, your basal metabolic rate (look that up too), any excercise you do (not detailed just resistance or cardio, how many times a week), along with your macro breakdown. Then you'll get useful comments. You could be a 150kg powerlifter or a 50kg high fat lunatic. Without any specificity any advice will be totally arbitrary and useless.

• Advertisement

So my BASAL Metabolic rate is 2539.4 as per some bmi calculator site.
    It says then to multiple that by 1.55 (moderately active weight).

That gives me a recommended Calorie intake of 3936.07.
    That looks really high.

As regards exercise I would do an hour- 2 hours of cardio say 4-5 times a week.

I don't do any resistance work yet as I am focusing on the cycle for July 5th. After that I will be changing my exercise regime.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

According to another site the macro breakdown of a such a diet based on the above calorie reading is:

Carbs 246
    Protein 443
    Fats 131

Let me know if this is what you mean or not?

So my BASAL Metabolic rate is 2539.4 as per some bmi calculator site.
    It says then to multiple that by 1.55 (moderately active weight).

That gives me a recommended Calorie intake of 3936.07.
    That looks really high.

As regards exercise I would do an hour- 2 hours of cardio say 4-5 times a week.

I don't do any resistance work yet as I am focusing on the cycle for July 5th. After that I will be changing my exercise regime.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

According to another site the macro breakdown of a such a diet based on the above calorie reading is:

Carbs 246
    Protein 443
    Fats 131

Let me know if this is what you mean or not?

I meant the macro breakdown of your current diet, the foods you listed in your first post. Work out their macronutrient composition using myfitnesspal or nutritiondata.self.com . Include your weight and height also

Carbohydrates are not essential for survival. Fat is the body's preferred fuel.

Due to our genetic make-up the majority of us are insulin resistant to some extent.

When carbs are eaten our blood glucose levels rise. Insulin is secreted by the pancreas in response to glucose entering the bloodstream from the gut. The insulin causes the glucose which is not used immediately for energy to be stored by the liver and muscles as glycogen. Once the glycogen reserves are filled the excess is stored as fat.

If the carbs cannot be burned off it gets converted by the liver into fat and sent to our fat tissues for storage. We're just getting fatter and hungrier.

Insulin the body's defence mechanism against carbs, both transforms carbs/glucose into fat and then stores it by preventing it from being used. The result is you get fat.

Carbohydrates are nutrient deficient and often packed with salt and sugar, you feel the need to eat more of them therefore it's very difficult to keep the weight off.

Of the three macronutrients in our diet only carbohydrate is non-essential for life. We cannot function properly for more than a few days without eating fat. Without protein we develop protein calorie malnutrition within a few months. Avoiding carbs has no short or long term effect on humans except weight loss.

Carbohydrate serves only two functions in humans. It must either be burned as an energy fuel or is stored as fat. It cannot be used to build any of the body's structures. Persons with insulin resistance have a reduced capacity to burn carbs as a fuel both during exercise and when at rest, or to store it as glycogen.

Carbohydrates are not essential for survival. Fat is the body's preferred fuel.

Carbs mightn't be essential for survival but glucose is. The body gets its glucose easiest from carbs, if you're on a low carb diet as a survival mechanism the body can use fat or break down muscle and convert it to glucose through gluconeogenesis but it seems like highly stupid thing to do on purpose to me, why use expensive protein for energy when you can use carbs? Carbs are preferred for muscle contraction.
    Due to our genetic make-up the majority of us are insulin resistant to some extent.

Due to LIFESTYLE choices some of us MAY be SOMEWHAT insulin resistant. Insulin isn't an on off thing, it's a massive spectrum. If you're going to make claims like that, which could cause a health scare and/or unwarranted worry to people who may read your tripe and be brainwashed like you, you're going to have to give evidence. I know you can't provide evidence on your conspiracy theories because the government, big pharma and big agriculture burned all the evidence but if you have any decency at all you'll provide evidence for your scare tactics or say nothing.
    When carbs are eaten our blood glucose levels rise. Insulin is secreted by the pancreas in response to glucose entering the bloodstream from the gut. The insulin causes the glucose which is not used immediately for energy to be stored by the liver and muscles as glycogen. Once the glycogen reserves are filled the excess is stored as fat.

If the carbs cannot be burned off it gets converted by the liver into fat and sent to our fat tissues for storage. We're just getting fatter and hungrier.

That was all true and then you just stuck on 'We're getting fatter and hungrier' total non-sequitur, WTF was that, it doesn't make any sense at all?
    What is wrong with you described? It's how the body functions. The normal and sane approach first, followed by yours:

You exercise, you use glycogen, you eat carbs, carbs are easily converted to glucose and go into your muscles, your muscles recover, you are able to exercise at the same intensity within hours, if there are excess carbs they will be stored as fat.

You exercise, you use glycogen, you eat fat, it is stored as fat and then, along with protein, is converted to glucose through a ridiculous amount of steps, glucose will eventually get into muscles, you won't be able to exercise with the same intensity that day, if there is excess it will go back to fat, and you will look like an idiot.

(Gross simplification of both processes)

So you use fats for energy instead of carbs, fat has to be stored as fat and then turned to glucose, rather than used immediately like carbs, it's less effective for performance (at high levels of heart rate/intense activities at least), takes longer to recover from that exercise and the excess is stored as fat any, and you look like an idiot.
    Insulin the body's defence mechanism against carbs, both transforms carbs/glucose into fat and then stores it by preventing it from being used. The result is you get fat.

Insulin isn't a defence mechanism.
    Insulin also; causes ribosomes to manufacture protein which is what builds muscle; prevents protein breakdown; transports the branched chained amino acids in muscle cells; and allows for the transportation of glycogen into muscle cells. Glycogen isn't stored in adipose tissue apart from minuscule, negligible amounts. It's easy to to think of something as 'good' or 'bad' but it isn't always wise.
    Carbohydrates are nutrient deficient and often packed with salt and sugar, you feel the need to eat more of them therefore it's very difficult to keep the weight off.

Spinach, kale, berries, fruit etc are nutrient deficient? Saying carbohydrates are 'often packed with ... sugar' is the same as saying that water is often packed with H2O, which is a very very stupid statement.
    Of the three macronutrients in our diet only carbohydrate is non-essential for life. We cannot function properly for more than a few days without eating fat. Without protein we develop protein calorie malnutrition within a few months. Avoiding carbs has no short or long term effect on humans except weight loss.

Fat and Protein are converted to do the same job as carbs so that's a total moot point and saying that avoiding carbs only leads to weight loss is a lie. It will also lead to a decrease in performance at intense activities and weird breath. Carbohydrates are preferred fuel for muscle contraction. It's estimated that the body can store 2,000 calories worth of carbohydrates before it's turned to fat, that's a lot of ANY food. Even half a kg of pure table sugar wouldn't get you that.
    Carbohydrate serves only two functions in humans. It must either be burned as an energy fuel or is stored as fat. It cannot be used to build any of the body's structures. Persons with insulin resistance have a reduced capacity to burn carbs as a fuel both during exercise and when at rest, or to store it as glycogen.

Carbohydrate as energy source stops protein (muscle) being used as an energy source, it is a better energy source for exercise full stop. Brain fog ensues during/after exercise without adequate carbs. More benefits you forgot to include to giving up carbs are halitosis, muscle cramps and diarrhoea.

Fat is stored as body fat and then, if necessary, used as energy where as carbs are used as energy and in the very unlikely event of going over the 2,000 calorie body reserves stored as fat.

One of, if not the, best ways to lower insulin sensitivity is intense exercise, low carb diets hinder so don't use it as an argument.

Bruno out of interest can you post up what you'd eat in a day?

It sounds like you wouldn't touch carbs with a barge pole so it should be interesting. Do you drink or eat junk food at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Ingredients of an egg:

AQUA (75.8%), AMINO ACIDS (12.6%) (GLUTAMIC ACID
    (14%), ASPARTIC ACID (11%), VALINE (9%), ARGININE (8%), LEUCINE
    (8%), LYSINE (7%), SERINE (7%), PHENYLALANINE (6%), ALANINE (5%),
    ISOLEUCINE (5%), PROLINE (4%), TYROSINE (3%), THREONINE (3%),
    GLYCINE (3%), HISTIDINE (2%), METHIONINE (3%), CYSTINE (2%),
    TRYPTOPHAN (1%)); FATTY ACIDS (9.9%) (OCTADECENOIC ACID (45%),
    HEXADECANOIC ACID (32%), OCTADECANOIC ACID (12%),
    EICOSATETRAENOIC ACID (3%), EICOSANOIC ACID (2%), DOCOSANOIC
    ACID (1%), TETRACOSANOIC ACID (1%), OCTANOIC ACID (<1%),
    DECANOIC ACID (<1%), DODECANOIC ACID (<1%), TETRADECANOIC
    ACID (<1%), PENTADECANOIC ACID (<1%), HEPTADECANOIC ACID (<1%),
    TETRADECENOIC ACID (<1%), HEXADECENOIC ACID (<1%),
    EICOSENOIC ACID (<1%), DOCOSENOIC ACID (<1%), OMEGA-6 FATTY
    ACID: OCTADECADIENOIC ACID (12%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID:
    OCTADECATRIENOIC ACID (<1%), EICOSAPENTAENOIC ACID (EPA)
    (<1%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID: DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA) (<1%));
    SUGARS (0.8%) (GLUCOSE (30%), SUCROSE (15%), FRUCTOSE (15%),
    LACTOSE (15%), MALTOSE (15%), GALACTOSE (15%)); COLOUR (E160c,
    E160a), E306, E101; FLAVOURS (PHENYLACETALDEHYDE, DODECA-2-
    ENAL, HEPTA-2-ENAL, HEXADECANAL, OCTADECANAL, PENTAN-2-ONE,
    BUTAN-2-ONE, ACETALDEHYDE, FORMALDEHYDE, ACETONE); SHELL
    (E170), ALSO CONTAINS BENZENE & BENZENE DERIVATIVES, ESTERS,
    FURANS, SULFUR-CONTAINING COMPOUNDS AND TERPENES.

OM NOM NOM NOM.

I've eaten four eggs already today! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It sounds like you wouldn't touch carbs with a barge pole so it should be interesting. Do you drink or eat junk food at all?

I've a suspicion he's eating some carbs, would be interested in seeing this too

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Also it'd be interesting to know Bruno's stats..height, weight and bodyfat. Do you train Bruno? If so, what do you do. I get the distinct impression though that all his 'information' is gleaned from trawling the internet.

Are you at the peak of physical perfection due to your slavish devotion to your 'wonder diet'?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Are you at the peak of physical perfection due to your slavish devotion to your 'wonder diet'?? :D

It's not a diet apparently. Everyone except Bruno is on a diet.

Also it'd be interesting to know Bruno's stats..height, weight and bodyfat. Do you train Bruno? If so, what do you do. I get the distinct impression though that all his 'information' is gleaned from trawling the internet.

Certainly not- nothing wonder about it- simply the way I believe that humans were / are meant to eat. very little training unfortunately. Some golf!

Height 183 cm - just over 6 ft

Weight 76 kg (2 years ago about 88kg)

Body fat 14% (done couple of years ago was over 21%)

BMR 7841 kj
    1874. kcal
    Visceral Fat rating = 3
    BMI = 22.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Certainly not- very little training unfortunately. Some golf!

Height 183 cm - just over 6 ft

Weight 76 kg (2 years ago about 88kg)

Body fat 14% (done couple of years ago was over 21%)

BMR 7841 kj
    1874. kcal
    Visceral Fat rating = 3
    BMI = 22.5

Any chance of an average day?

I do eat carbs.

A sample would be the following:

Breakfast: 4 slices bacon and 3/4 eggs omelette with cheese and creme fraiche or Greek yogurt and berries

Coffee with butter & coconut oil or cream

Lunch: 2 chicken breast (sometimes fish) cooked in coconut oil, lots of broccoli and asparagus (maybe sprouts, spinach or kale) with butter, maybe sweet potato with butter

Dinner: 1/2 rib eye steak (sometimes curry or chicken tikka masala) lots of green veg again , maybe carrots with butter

Snacks could be Greek yogurt, macadamia nuts, almond butter, dark chocolate.

2-3 coffee a day with butter or cream.

Drank once in last 5 months.

Zero junk food.

Essien wrote: »
    It's not a diet apparently. Everyone except Bruno is on a diet.

I eat a diet of certain foods. It's the idea of being on a diet (eating less) that I detest, as being on a diet is unsustainable. More often than not when you come off the diet and go back to old habits the weight goes back on.

I eat as much food as I desire. No restrictions on amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

No. And carbs don't make you fat. Everything cleared up?

No but the majority of carbs the average joe eats leads to more carbs than the average needs to fuel the average joes daily energy needs. So why be a average?

OP just a few comments
    * You've lost 3 stone, well done; you obviously have corrected something and know what you are doing.
    * Nobody knows your body better than you. If you learned something that works, by accident or by taking on advice, stick to it.
    * You eat a lot of whole foods and obviously cook; your a lot of the way there
    * What works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa

I think you post in cycling forum and I will be starting a thread there soon on cycling and food. Over the years I've gotten more and more interested at your typical cyclist/sportive rider and their struggles with weight. My thread will generate more questions than answers but it may interest you

10 months into a 12 month experiment on eating high fat low carb to power ultra long distance cycling and will at end detail MY experiences. I should add I've never been overweight and don't run that badly on high carb.

However most guys I know that cycle, other than the skinny mountain goat types, struggle somewhat with weight and are convinced that high carb is the only way to power cycling. I know guys who do race the ras and despite cycling 400km plus a week struggle with weight.

PM me when you start that tread I'd be interested a to follow it. I convinced a few middle and long distance runners to switch from high carbs in the diets and gels and stuff during races to good fat sources and the results were better than I even expected.

I eat a diet of certain foods. It's the idea of being on a diet (eating less) that I detest, as being on a diet is unsustainable. More often than not when you come off the diet and go back to old habits the weight goes back on.

I eat as much food as I desire. No restrictions on amounts.

Your diet is very good - I'll give you that much.

The fact that you can eat "as much as you want" and not put on weight is a pure coincidence. A 6' relatively active male will struggle to eat 3k+ calories when you take junk and simple carbs out, and since your diet is mostly meat and veg it's nearly impossible unless you try really, really hard.

Try putting a 5' 45kg woman on your exact diet and we'll see if she doesn't put on weight. I don't deny that what you do is working, in fact I'd be shocked if it didn't - but it's more a result of circumstance rather than what you think.

Having said that, if you can get anyone to believe what you're peddling I have no doubt it will work brilliantly. In the end it doesn't matter if there's science to back it up or not, the right thing is the right thing regardless of what it takes to get you to do it. So if anyone agrees with Bruno then by all means go ahead - everything he says will aid your fitness goals and I stand by that 100%. If you're looking for peer reviewed studies to back up his information before you put it in practice I suggest you reconsider. All the arguing here is just pedantic, everyone knows what it comes down to; eat plenty of meat, fresh vegetables, and good fats. No junk food, keep carbs to a minimum unless you work a physically exerting job (debateable). Lift weights, run/swim, and stretch a few times a week and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

siochain wrote: »
    PM me when you start that tread I'd be interested a to follow it. I convinced a few middle and long distance runners to switch from high carbs in the diets and gels and stuff during races to good fat sources and the results were better than I even expected.

Will do Sir.

Doing the Mile failte 1200 starting tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see how I fair on that.

Whatever about racing for 3hrs where your hr might average 150-160 for long distance stuff at a hr average 130ish the body is very very adaptable to running on fat. I'm an average cyclist at best but can do things on high fat I can't do on high carb.

Check out Barry Murray optimumnutritionf4sport( for BMC nutritionist) and check out@enduro who posts on boards; he is a ultra distance runner

Are you a coach or personal trainer? I've never seen you post something that wasn't very informative or helpful.

Coached in a few team and individual sports over the years. This year I've been involved with a GAA club for the first time and I will do work one on one but only with people who are really committed to a goal. For me it's a very rewarding hobbie.

• Advertisement

@Bruno26 why do you just ignore posts that provide evidence against your view? Surely if your view was correct you could refute any contrary information put to you? Why do you just post links by people with financial incentives in promoting the high fat cult? You haven't given one shred of reputable information out, you've filled pages with dangerous and false information with zero regard for peoples' health. Any sane person in your position would question the fact that there is no evidence to back up their claims, but not you. In my view spurious health claims such as yours with no evidence and purposeful ignorance of requests for evidence, because it goes against science and common sense and puts peoples' health at risk, warrants a ban. Man up and answer some of the questions about your information.

Advertisement