Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intermittent issue when starting up

Options
  • 08-05-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Honda Civic 2001 1.4

I'm sending my car for a service but I thought i'd ask here in case there is something (simple) I can do myself first...or at the very least have an idea what the cause might be.

Twice in the last month or so I've had the following issue:

I put the key in the ignition and try to start the engine up. It struggles to fire up and takes 1 or 2 more attempts before starting.
    Then I drive off but after about 100-200 metres (in low gear) it starts to stutter and the "!" warning light flashes.
    One time the engine cut out but started up ok when I tried the ignition again, the other time it struggled for a bit and then appeared to be ok. Both times I tentatively drove around the block a few times and everything seemed fine again.
    Have done a good bit of Motorway driving since without issue.

Could it be a fuel pump or filter issue ?

davej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hm, that does sound odd. Trouble twice in a month and the rest of the time perfectly fine? It cranks no problem but engine just won't fire up?
    Intermittent issue are hard to diagnose, particularly without seeing the car.

Could be the distributor not supplying power properly to the plugs or the injectors not letting fuel properly into the cylinders.
    Check electrical connections to the spark plugs and inspect the plugs themselves. Are they black or discoloured or appear "not right"?
    Perhaps the injectors are getting clogged up, throw a bottle of injector cleaner into the fuel tank.

It could also be the fuel filter and/or fuel pump but these are a bit more difficult diy. Start where it's easy and work toward the harder stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Had similar issues before on a 00 Clio.

Turned out it was a faulty 02 sensor.

Does the Check Engine Light stay on.

Does it re-start fine, if still warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Muckie wrote: »
    Had similar issues before on a 00 Clio.

Turned out it was a faulty 02 sensor.

Does the Check Engine Light stay on.
    Does it re-start fine, if still warm.

Yes, thanks guys for the reply :)

Sorry I did not mention the Engine Warning light had been on (battery disconnect meant it had reset and I forgotten about it).

As I mentioned in OP, once it's running there are no further problems and it restarts fine for for the rest of the day..

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I would be thinking that its a faulty sensor, might be worth getting scanned.

If you have checked all the usual possible faults such as dirty throttle body, spark plugs or leaking vacuum pipes.

Hopefully a simple sensor swap issue.

(Forgot to add the 02 sensor cost us €60 off ebay, simple job to change too.)

Advertisement