Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Thank you! Those recipes look delicious. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hey Curry Addict,

Heads up.......................Tom Dunne is looking for entries for the best home made curry on his show. You should check it out.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/competitions/the-tom-dunne-curry-cook-off/

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

frag420 wrote: »
    Hey Curry Addict,

Heads up.......................Tom Dunne is looking for entries for the best home made curry on his show. You should check it out.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/competitions/the-tom-dunne-curry-cook-off/

frAg

thanks for the tip!

Gauge wrote: »
    Thank you! Those recipes look delicious. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

if your making the toor dhal, try cooking the lentils until they melt as this is when they are at their creamy best imho(different people like them at different stages of cooking). note, not all lentils melt so make sure to use toor dhal lentils :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Made the Vindaloo last night. Didn't have the fenugreek leaves and I eased off on the chilli powder a bit as I didn't want the full heat but I have to say it was fantastic!! Big thanks to Curry Addict.

my personal favorite :)

Vindaloo
    1 chef spoon of vegetable oil

2 dried red chillies
    1tbs ginger and garlic paste
    2.5 tbs tomato puree
    1 tbs curry masala
    1 tsp methi/fenugreek leaves
    1 tbs chilli powder
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    ¼ tsp ground cardamom
    1 portion precooked chicken
    2-3 ladles of curry base
    1 tbs white wine vinager
    2/3 tsp salt
    1 tbs coriander leaf
    1tsp ginger and garlic paste
    Pinch of garam masala

Heat the oil and add the chillies and the tbs of ginger/garlic paste, saute for about 30secs. Add the tomato puree and stir in, saute for 20 secs then add the dry spices. saute for 20secs then add the curry base and all the remaining ingredients up to the salt. Cook this for about 5mins then add the coriander leaf, ginger/garlic and garam masala and serve.
    follow the amounts exactly for perfect balance. enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

I made a big batch of the base gravy last week and made a madras, korma and rogan josh this week. All excellent.

I eased off on the salt a little on the Rogan Josh and it definatly suffered, the flavour was missing a bit of definition that the salt would have given it.

I cooked lamb shoulder for 5 hours in the slow cooker and it was melt in mouth tender.

cheers curry addict - I'll be filling the freezer with another batch of gravy this week.

okedoke wrote: »
    I made a big batch of the base gravy last week and made a madras, korma and rogan josh this week. All excellent.

I eased off on the salt a little on the Rogan Josh and it definatly suffered, the flavour was missing a bit of definition that the salt would have given it.

I cooked lamb shoulder for 5 hours in the slow cooker and it was melt in mouth tender.

cheers curry addict - I'll be filling the freezer with another batch of gravy this week.

glad they worked out well and you enjoyed :)

curry is quite salt sensitive as you found out, too little and you just dont get umph in the flavor!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

glad they worked out well and you enjoyed :)

curry is quite salt sensitive as you found out, too little and you just dont get umph in the flavor!

yep - first taste and I knew it was a bit short on salt, still delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My first attempt this evening at a rogan josh and a korma.

I left out the fenugreek leaves as i didn't have any.

Both dishes impressed the whole family.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been using the basic premise of your compartmentalised style of cooking curries but also applying it to recipes from cookbooks and doing a fair bit of makey-uppy curries aswell and by and large its been a delicious success so a huge fan of this thread.

I'm cooking a Korma for my uncle (who's a chef and owns a restaurant so I want to impress) tomorrow.

I've one question.
    It's time for me to make more curry massala again but I was wondering:
    Curry Masala
    This is the generic Indian curry powder used in Indian restaurants.
    2tbs ground coriander
    2tbs ground cumin
    2tbs paprika
    3tbs ground turmeric
    1tbs garam masala
    2tbs curry powder

What's "curry powder"? Last time I just bunged in the other ingredients into a jar with "curry powder" sellotaped to it that my brother presumably made and it smelled and seemed to taste approximately correct. Don't actually know what was in it.

• Advertisement

"curry powder" means any shop bought commercial curry powder. its function is only to add subtleties to the "curry masala".

i also do a lot of experimentation, it really helps improve your cooking and understanding how to balance spices with ingredients. At the moment i like to make regional spice mixes coupled with regional ingredients using the same techniques and try to balance them to make great curries. for example a vindaloo using goan spices and going heavy on the garlic,chilli and vinegar. or a south indian curry with south indian spices, coconut milk, curry leaves, mustard seeds etc. the scope is endless and the reward is memorable ;O)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've been meaning to make your curry for weeks now but kept stalling for some reason. The meat I've bought either turned into stew or stew :D
    I'm determined to make it Friday week, and I will not let anything get in the way. So any chance of throwing in that Lamb Bhuna recipe before then?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I've been meaning to make your curry for weeks now but kept stalling for some reason. The meat I've bought either turned into stew or stew :D
    I'm determined to make it Friday week, and I will not let anything get in the way. So any chance of throwing in that Lamb Bhuna recipe before then?

Lamb bhuna

1 chef spoon of veg oil
    1 chopped onion
    1 quater of a green bell pepper, chopped
    1 tsp garlic and Ginger paste
    2/3 tsp salt
    1tsp methi leaves/fenugreek leaves
    1 tablespoon of curry masala powder
    A Pinch of chilli powder
    1.5 tbs of tomato purée
    half a chopped tomato
    1 portion of precooked Lamb/chicken
    2.5 ladels of curry base gravy

To cook, simply add all ingredients to the pan, mix it well and cook for 5mins on high heat then garnish with coriander.

enjoy :pac:

Thanks CA!
    One last question -- your recipe calls for one portion of chicken/lamb. So do I have to quadruple every other ingredients if I'm cooking for four? Including oil, salt?

Thanks CA!
    One last question -- your recipe calls for one portion of chicken/lamb. So do I have to quadruple every other ingredients if I'm cooking for four? Including oil, salt?

no, its essential to cook each portion of curry individually which will serve just 1 person. the cooking method does not work when scaled up.

so in your case use 4 different pans at same time or 2 pans twice or 1 pan 4 times :)

no, its essential to cook each portion of curry individually which will serve just 1 person. the cooking method does not work when scaled up.

so in your case use 4 different pans at same time or 2 pans twice or 1 pan 4 times :)

Aaaaah I get you now. Great, this means I can try 2-3 different curries at once as the base is the same.
    Thanks again, CA :)

Aaaaah I get you now. Great, this means I can try 2-3 different curries at once as the base is the same.
    Thanks again, CA :)

good plan :)

I just had a bash off the rogan josh, the madras and the vindaloo.

A giant salty disaster.

2/3 tsp of salt per curry strikes me as insane.
    I might put that amount in if I was cooking a curry for maybe 5 or 6 people normally.

Also, having a root around, there's salt in the tomato paste aswell and I had to use ghee because there wastn't any other oil and it's quite possible that had salt aswell.

Even so, I was bitterly disappointed. It was alot more difficult than I thought it was going to be and the result was really terrible. All the more annoying because every now and again I'd get a little hint of restaurant-curry goodness in the backround.

The pilau rice worked out quite nice though...:)

Next time, I might try putting maybe 1/2 or 1/4 tsp salt in, tasting it, and then see if any more is required.

Gbear wrote: »
    I just had a bash off the rogan josh, the madras and the vindaloo.

A giant salty disaster.

2/3 tsp of salt per curry strikes me as insane.
    I might put that amount in if I was cooking a curry for maybe 5 or 6 people normally.

Also, having a root around, there's salt in the tomato paste aswell and I had to use ghee because there wastn't any other oil and it's quite possible that had salt aswell.

Even so, I was bitterly disappointed. It was alot more difficult than I thought it was going to be and the result was really terrible. All the more annoying because every now and again I'd get a little hint of restaurant-curry goodness in the backround.

The pilau rice worked out quite nice though...:)

Next time, I might try putting maybe 1/2 or 1/4 tsp salt in, tasting it, and then see if any more is required.

thats annoying, too much salt is horrible. 2/3tsp should be perfect as ive used this amount 100s of times as it is critical to the flavor. 2/3tsp = 2g or 0.4%, looking at stuff in my fridge 0.4% salt content is not excessive. i wonder where the extra came from? im guessing something in the curry base as it was in all your curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Is it possible 2/3 tsp was misread as "two or three teaspoonfuls" rather than "two thirds of a teaspoonful"?

• Advertisement

thats annoying, too much salt is horrible. 2/3tsp should be perfect as ive used this amount 100s of times as it is critical to the flavor. 2/3tsp = 2g or 0.4%, looking at stuff in my fridge 0.4% salt content is not excessive. i wonder where the extra came from? im guessing something in the curry base as it was in all your curries.

I used your curry base recipe.
    I also used your curry massala recipe.
    Maybe the curry powder I added had alot of salt in it?

I was a bit cavalier with the tomato paste - it was a 150g tin which I think is 10 tbps isn't it?

Between the 3 curries I should've used 5.5 tbsps.

I wasn't using a proper tbsp measurement because i didn't want to get tomato paste on it (using it for spices) so I just used an ordinary kitchen one and used maybe 8 tbsp between the 3 curries.
    On the ingredients on the tin it said 1% salt so that's roughly an extra 0.25g salt in the vindaloo and madras and maybe an extra 0.5g in the rogan josh.

Is ghee made from salted butter? Because I substituded it for the cooking oil (didn't have enough) and that would've presumably effected it too.

radia wrote: »
    Is it possible 2/3 tsp was misread as "two or three teaspoonfuls" rather than "two thirds of a teaspoonful"?

Sure i'd be dead then. :pac:

That'd be about 3 times your daily intake of salt.

Edit: hang on.

I thought you typed 2/3 tbsp.

Yeah. Is it 2/3 as in 0.666 tsp or 2 to 3 teaspoons?

Because I though, 3 is taking the mick so I put in a bit less than 2.

Looking at the recipe:
    2/3tsp salt
    ½ a tomato
    Different notation. Not my fault after all. :cool:

Sure i'd be dead then. :pac:

That'd be about 3 times your daily intake of salt.

Edit: hang on.

I thought you typed 2/3 tbsp.

Yeah. Is it 2/3 as in 0.666 tsp or 2 to 3 teaspoons?

Because I though, 3 is taking the mick so I put in a bit less than 2.

Looking at the recipe:

Different notation. Not my fault after all. :cool:

so you were putting in 2 tsp and interpeting 2/3 tsp as 2 or 3 tsp instead of 0.66 tsp. thats understandable tbh, i better try edit the recipes. Maybe you have some curry base left and can go again!
    i cant edit the recipes unfortunately, maybe a moderator can....

note, if you put in extra tomato puree it will make your curry sweeter and less spicey and change the balance of flavors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I edited the OP.

Faith wrote: »
    I edited the OP.

perfect, thanks!

Tucking into Rogan Josh take 2.

Curry Addict, you've done it again.:D

yum

Tucking into Rogan Josh take 2.

Curry Addict, you've done it again.:D

yum

glad it worked out for you in the end :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I put all the recipes in this thread so far -plus the malaysian curry recipe from Curry Addict's other legendary cooking club submission- into a little doc to print off.. I needed it as a shopping list as well. Anyway, in case anyone else finds it useful: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/417235/2012%20Cooking%20Club%20Week%202b-%20Indian%20Resturant%20curries.rtf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Curry Addict, thanks very much for this.

It is a bit time consuming as you say, but enjoyable to see it all coming together.

Had the chicken rogan josh last night. Tasty stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rewind

Thanks for the all the info Curry Addict, it has clarified a lot of things for me.

Advertisement