Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Gary ITR wrote: »
    injection nipple

*Titter* :o

Finally got the ST3 door cards put into my car over the weekend, interior conversion complete!

Now the fun part of selling the cloth interior... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

I've seen worse 4 year old cars. It ain't too bad, but long lists of faults can be scary lol

It's scary cos you don't really know what half the things are but to be fair I got a lot of information this morning, even if the questions I asked were a bit silly :o
    Top Dog wrote: »
    On the plus side, you'll have the E30 running as it should after it, so there is light at the end of the tunnel ;)

True hopefully nothing big while happen for a while....... famous. last. words.
    What mrs c posted isn't the full list :eek:

Yes then there was my list which was just as scary :P
    Oh dear. One thing I hated in the garage was giving bad news, especially to people like Mrs C who would be enthusiasts.

Jeez dunno if I class myself as an enthusiast! I don't know half the stuff I would like to know about cars :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mrs crilly wrote: »
    It's scary cos you don't really know what half the things are but to be fair I got a lot of information this morning, even if the questions I asked were a bit silly :o

True hopefully nothing big while happen for a while....... famous. last. words.

Yes then there was my list which was just as scary :P

Jeez dunno if I class myself as an enthusiast! I don't know half the stuff I would like to know about cars :o

I wouldn't be overly worried, I'm sure it'll be tip top soon

As for being an enthusiast? Well most of the lads the I have dealt with don't really know much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I understand old cars will cost but thats what i love, keeping them on the road or part restoring it. But theres a difference between investing in one and enjoying improving it and it breaking your balls constantly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I understand old cars will cost but thats what i love, keeping them on the road or part restoring it. But theres a difference between investing in one and enjoying improving it and it breaking your balls constantly :)

Unless it's a fast ford you leave in a glass cabinet or a McClaren or something a car is never an investment. Anybody that thinks that is nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Not as a monetary investment, with time mostly. I know a car is definitely not an investment, unless its a diesel toyota in ireland possibly.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Unless it's a fast ford you leave in a glass cabinet or a McClaren or something a car is never an investment. Anybody that thinks that is nuts

I must be nuts so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

2 new Toyo Proxes on the rear :)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I take it you have some Chinese ditch finders on the front :)

Nope.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    While I dont advise doing the above it can be fun on a car like yours, massive understeer followed by oversteer :)

Ha,never thought of that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Engine bay cleaned.

Before.

33o33hd.jpg

During.

b3wiet.jpg

FINISHED.

15my80o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Where is the best place a get part worn tryes in athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

@johntegr what did you use to clean the engine bay it made a great job of it

deaglan169 wrote: »
    @johntegr what did you use to clean the engine bay it made a great job of it
    GUNK foam engine degreaser and a smidge of elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Johntegr wrote: »
    GUNK foam engine degreaser and a smidge of elbow grease.

Fine job and all that......but tax your car you bollix! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Today i got the interior valeted,and i managed to removed my rear wheels off the hub as they were seized on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

cena wrote: »
    Where is the best place a get part worn tryes in athlone

polish garage in baylough, at centra there
    Wouldn't recommend part worn though, they'll only end up costing you more in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

darokane wrote: »
    Wouldn't recommend part worn though, they'll only end up costing you more in the long run

thats the one near opel. I didn't like the look of the place

Fizman wrote: »
    Fine job and all that......but tax your car you bollix! :p
    Just put the disc in the window an hour ago. :)

cena wrote: »
    thats the one near opel. I didn't like the look of the place

the one behind the centra garage just down the road, they're grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

darokane wrote: »

Its been done to death by now but part worn premium brand tyres are vastly better the new Chinese rubbish.

Its been done to death by now but part worn premium brand tyres are vastly better the new Chinese rubbish.

true, was thinking of remoulds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Today I crashed my car !

Bollox !

Going over a bridge keeping under the limit but didn't see what was on the other side until the last second :(

Car I hit is perfectly fine / no damage.

My car - headlight unit turned and few clips and bit of plastic broken on the inside.

No metal damage though so not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Had luck robbie. You want do that again in a hurry!!

Could have been a lot worse. That car is becoming a little bit unlucky for you I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Had luck robbie. You want do that again in a hurry!!

Could have been a lot worse. That car is becoming a little bit unlucky for you I think.

Couldve being a lot worse indeed but i did my best and slammed on the brakes as early as possible.

thankfully nobody hurt.

but yeah no not the cars fault - just bad driver ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

I did a job that took all of 20 seconds:D
    Adds a nice touch though I think,

Added silver GTI plate to seat:
    DSC00107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Reversed into a lamp post but no damage done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Today I added parking sensors to my car, mainly for when my wife uses it as she finds it hard to judge the back end when parking. This was a €20 kit that I got from Ebay. It has four sensors and a beeper. I didnt bother with the one that has the visual display on the dash.

The first hurdle was the mental one of having to drill inch wide holes into my nice shiny bumper but once I got over that I cracked on.

I didnt need to remove the bumper which was handy. I stuck a line of masking tape along the rear bumper to allow me to draw on it so I could make sure the measurements were correct. After quadruple checking everything it was time to go at it with the supplied hole saw. I drilled a 3mm pilot hole first and then used the hole saw. I mistakely deleted two early pictures from the process.

Once the holes were drilled I fed the cables through a rubber grommet into the spare wheel well.

Boot.jpg

I fed the cables under the boot carpet and into the side cubby hole which houses the cd Changer. Here is where I mounted the control unit and beeper. I tapped into the reverse light feed and ground on the rear nearside light cluster.

cubby.jpg

And the end result.

Rear.jpg

side.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

did you spray them to match the bumper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Drop the old girl to get her timing belt done today.Got them to do a full service as well. Total cost €600. Not bad at all.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement