Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

+1 for SwiftKey.

I tried 3 or 4 in the early days of having an android, and I found SwiftKey to be ahead of the field. Swype had the edge on speed, but now that SwiftKey has Flow, it's the class leader imo

+1 for swiftkey again but it has one issue that bugs me. I know most people don't care but it doesn't have an emoji keyboard. Drives me mad. Not that I can't use them but thay also come up as empty squares when you receive a text with them in it from an iPhone or whatever.

They work on whatsapp as they're built into the app. Only a tiny thing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

pedatron wrote: »
    +1 for swiftkey again but it has one issue that bugs me. I know most people don't care but it doesn't have an emoji keyboard. Drives me mad. Not that I can't use them but thay also come up as empty squares when you receive a text with them in it from an iPhone or whatever.

They work on whatsapp as they're built into the app. Only a tiny thing though!

+1 for swiftkey.

Was listening to an Android podcast recently (could have been All About Android) and they had the had fella from Swiftkey on as guest. He said that they were fully aware of the emoji 'issue' and they were looking to resolve it in a coming release. He made it sound like it wasn't easy to integrate the system into swiftkey.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Anyone else not able to download Fifa 14 on their device? Says its incompatible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.fifa14_row

Im using a nexus 4 by the way.
    Same as, incompatible with my SGS II, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (Original)

Move to Romania (or maybe Singapore)... or wait for the worldwide release.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/23/new-game-ea-launches-fifa-14-for-android-but-most-of-the-world-cant-play-it-yet/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Meh, I couldn't be bothered with Fifa was just checking and confirming for the poster before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Anyone else not able to download Fifa 14 on their device? Says its incompatible.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.fifa14_row

Im using a nexus 4 by the way.

Says compatible for me on my N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Says compatible for me on my N4.

Wasn't compatible yesterday but is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Best app for recording day to day expenses??

Hello people. Just another one. You know those new types of smileys. Are they emojis or emoticons. You see them on twitter a lot but mostly by iphone users. Is it possible to get these on S4? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

closeline wrote: »

I've been using 'Hello Expense' for the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Wife 4.0 :)

Open Signal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal&hl=en

With OpenSignal you can map cellular coverage, find Wi-Fi hotspots, test and improve your reception & get faster data.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I use this. Very easy to use. Only thing against it is that it paints reality right into your face. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

petes wrote: »
    Open Signal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal&hl=en

With OpenSignal you can map cellular coverage, find Wi-Fi hotspots, test and improve your reception & get faster data.
    Just what I was looking for thanks, the signal compass that points you in the direction your signal and data is coming from will settle a debate that has raged for years in our house :D

Thargor wrote: »
    Just what I was looking for thanks, the signal compass that points you in the direction your signal and data is coming from will settle a debate that has raged for years in our house :D

I've been using it a while and forgot to post it in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just tried it in Bray there and it seems very accurate, you can sight along the compass arrow straight to a mast down in the town, what I really want it for though is our parents house in Ballyvaughan, since the days of playing Snake on our Nokias theres been debate about where our signal is coming from, some rooms in the house have wildly different reception levels, some say its from Galway across the bay, some say a mast on the Garda barracks, some say a mast on the Burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you want something simple, then MoneyTab is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hi folks, looking for a news ticker app. I use Flipboard for articles etc and Blinkfeed (HTC One) for social updates, but I'm looking for some type of scrolling app that'll give me the news headlines from RTE or some Irish news source, without having to open an app.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Maybe this was mentioned, but:

Middle Manager of Justice, by DoubleFine (makers of Psychonauts, CostumeQuest, Stacking etc.):
    Somewhere between GOOD and EVIL... Between ORDER and CHAOS... Between UPPER MANAGEMENT and the SENIOR STAFF... You'll find the glue that holds it all together: The Middle Manager of Justice!

Congratulations, you are the new Middle Manager of Justice! You have been hired to whip the latest branch of Justice Corp. into shape! Train and manage your team of superheroes to thwart crime and save citizens around the city! Increase efficiency in your branch by building new facilities and upgrading the equipment! Could it be done without you? Yeah, probably. But it would be sloppy, costly and demotivating!

I don't normally like these sort of build a base games (usually because of how long you have to wait to do anything and because of a lack of felling of accomplishment) but this one has very short waiting times (you do short things regularly, rather than long things occasionally) and you really feel like you are making progress, even early on. There certainly to pay for, if you feel like spending real money, but even if you don't, there is always lots to do. It helps that its pretty funny too.

👍😄 People always use these emoji things on twitter. is it possible to get an app for android like these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hi folks, looking for a news ticker app. I use Flipboard for articles etc and Blinkfeed (HTC One) for social updates, but I'm looking for some type of scrolling app that'll give me the news headlines from RTE or some Irish news source, without having to open an app.

Any recommendations?

The Journal, BBC News, both have headline widgets for your home screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

flazio wrote: »

Wouldn't consider The Journal as news. More online magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

👍😄 People always use these emoji things on twitter. is it possible to get an app for android like these?

There are a number of them to use on the touchpal keyboard. It's a great free keyboard and surprised it doesn't get mentioned on here more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've been searching the bewildering array of alarm clock apps but I'll ask here to save time.

Is there an app that will use Tune In radio as an alarm?

• The Tunein Radio app itself will do that. Go to the radio station you want as your alarm, scroll to the right over to options, then choose set alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Tunein Radio app itself will do that. Go to the radio station you want as your alarm, scroll to the right over to options, then choose set alarm.

Sweet. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Any apps to mirror screen of phone on Xbox etc?

Ie, I want to browse on the phone, but mirror the screen to the Xbox, so boards/eBay etc get displayed on my 42" plasma.

I'm aware there's a browser in Xbox now, but jeez it's horrible to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Any apps to mirror screen of phone on Xbox etc?

Ie, I want to browse on the phone, but mirror the screen to the Xbox, so boards/eBay etc get displayed on my 42" plasma.

I'm aware there's a browser in Xbox now, but jeez it's horrible to use.

You can get Xbox smart glass which will let you use the phone as a touch pad and keyboard for the Xbox browser.

Browser in the Xbox isn't half bad, just like any non PC or touch screen device its a bit awkward to use, plus pointless in my view. Wanna check the internet? Use your phone.

But Xbox doesn't support screen mirroring, most phones don't support screen mirroring and very few TVs support screen mirorroring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

flazio wrote: »

Thanks, but was looking more for an app that would scroll headlines from Irish news feeds. Not a fan of the Journal really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭corkie

The Simpsons Tapped Out, Halloween social event starts today! Oct 1st

This post is for people who may not be following the games thread.

If your going to be active for this event please add your origin id to this thread!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement