Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint Woes

• 07-05-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭

Basically my car had it's issues paintwise when i bought it and since it has had afew people in carparks lamping it with doors/some jackass in a carwash getting overenthusiastic with a powerwasher and taking off chunks of clearcoat/laquer and the like.

Looks like in order of how bad they are

Rear bumper
    Passanger door
    Driver door
    Front bumper

Will all need either serious correction and more likely than not a full respray

Bonnet also has 3-4 small rust spots so that possibly too.

Will put some pics below (sorry about the reflection as i just washed it)

So just wondering if anyone on here can either give me an idea of cost to get these done right or is in the business and i can head out and get a proffessional eye thrown on it in the next few weeks.

Trying to show 2-3 small dents on passanger door but hard to see.
    img20130507184520.jpg

Left side of back bumper dent and afew serious chips (was like that when i bought it)
    img20130507184553.jpg

Another close up of dent and big swirl type marks from a scuff the poor car got when it lived in the big smoke.
    img20130507184600.jpg

Other side of rear bumper
    img20130507184612.jpg

Big compression mark (again on the poor back bumper)

img20130507184620.jpg

Drivers door light scratches on door handle and nice big lump of paint removed from another cars door
    img20130507184637.jpg

More small marks on same door almost down to metal
    img20130507184658.jpg

Same door
    img20130507184717.jpg

Have 1 or 2 of these scuff type marks also like something either fell on car or some muppet thought it was a lounge chair
    img20130507184732.jpg

Bonnet rust spots 9starting to bubble slightly even with plenty of anti rust spray
    img20130507184751.jpg
    img20130507184801.jpg
    img20130507184828.jpg

Passenger door nice scratch down to metal from another door swinger is another but image came out too big
    img20130507184928.jpg

Sorry about the flood of images, just sick of looking at them and looking for an economical repair in the west or midlands if anyone can recommend a place.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Have 1 or 2 of these scuff type marks also like something either fell on car or some muppet thought it was a lounge chair
    img20130507184732.jpg

Where on the car is this? Can't make it out.

99% of the time these marks are caused by petrol pump hoses. People pull up to the pump on the opposite side of the petrol tank cover and pull the hose across the car, causing these kinds of friction marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

^^^^
    Looks like the top of the rear quarter at the top of the rear window - and you are spot on about the petrol pump hoses on that one!
    That looks like it could be corrected by machine polishing!

The rest of the damage, looks like they need paint unfortunately! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

boreder wrote: »
    Where on the car is this? Can't make it out.

99% of the time these marks are caused by petrol pump hoses. People pull up to the pump on the opposite side of the petrol tank cover and pull the hose across the car, causing these kinds of friction marks.

Front nearside just above the headlight which seems an odd spot to me as the fuel tank is same side of car on the back end

Front nearside just above the headlight which seems an odd spot to me as the fuel tank is same side of car on the back end

Careless mechanic leaning in from that side perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Possibly, gonna go get a quote on back and front bumpers later on and price doors while im at it. Want to fix them but im afraid they will make a haymes of the match and i will end up with a clowncar. (Hence looking for recommendations)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Possibly, gonna go get a quote on back and front bumpers later on and price doors while im at it. Want to fix them but im afraid they will make a haymes of the match and i will end up with a clowncar. (Hence looking for recommendations)

I know a few people that have used Carcraft with all positive results.

I've worked on a few cars that have had panels repainted. Mismatched panels can be a problem, and also blending in, can blow in over panels that arent freshly painted and as a result, down the line its difficult to impossible to correct as swirls are below the clear coat.
    Painting bumpers is usually OK as they are painted off the car and dont need blending. The doors would be my main concern. If I was having a panel painted, id machine correct the panels either side to avoid fore mentioned issue.

Advertisement