Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HELP!!!!! Can it be insured???

Options
  • 11-12-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Recenlty finished converting a Man Lorry horsebox into a camper, it is 6.9 litre engine, seats 8 and is worth bout 6,000 euro. (1990 reg).

Is it possible to get this insured? Dolmen say in fine print that horsebox's will not be considered - even if converted.

You can walk through the drivers cab etc....

I am really worried that i have converted this truck and won't get insured!!

Please Help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

If you're prepared to scroll back a while you will find a thread, started by me so look for my name, which will give you more or less all of the brokers that deal with campers.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Is this the thread you are looking for?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73353960

Well done skibum, I had no idea how long ago I started it.

Time just flies when your having fun doesn't it.:)

From the female point of view,
    A good friend would console you when your husband dies.
    A best friend would help you bury the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

Thanks a million, ill give them all a try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

From the female point of view,
    A good friend would console you when your husband dies.
    A best friend would help you bury the body.
    Is there something you need to tell us??

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Is there something you need to tell us??

I think you'd get a good answer from one of my ex wives to that question:D.

No joy with any of them, the irish insurance federation said to get two letters of refusal and they can make my current company provide a reasonable quote even though they dont do camper insurance.

Anyone ever had that happen??

ambo112 wrote: »
    No joy with any of them, the irish insurance federation said to get two letters of refusal and they can make my current company provide a reasonable quote even though they dont do camper insurance.

I've certainly never heard of this.

Have you had a DOE test done on it yet?
    If you haven't you can always find a friend, who has car/camper insurance, to drive it down to be tested.
    Might make a difference if it passes ok. You would need this or engineers report anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I knew that you could force a company to insure you after 3 refusals, I never heard that it had to be reasonable. Nice to know that, but what you, and I, consider reasonable and what the insurance federation consider reasonable may be totally different amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have you had the vehicle Body Type (D.3) and the Motor Taxation Class (J.2) reclassified as a Motor Caravan and also the EU Vehicle Category (J) changed to M on the RF101 (log book).

Without the above the vehicle is not properly classed as a 'motor caravan'. If the changes are done it is no longer a horse box, or whatever it was in its former life, it is a self built camper/motorhome/motor caravan, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

They say minibuses and buses and trucks without a walkthrough are unacceptable too but there are plenty on the roads insured. You're best be is via the camping club see the other thread re: insuring a converted bus.

Thanks for all the responses, they are really helping.

This is my point of confusion, if it is reclassified as a camper then surely its a self build camper - full stop.

But why then do these companies mention the horsebox conversions?

Can a coach, truck, horsebox etc.. be all living area - not classified as a camper, but get insured as a camper???

Did that make sense?

Right, im gonna try your collective knowledge to see this option.

Horse Boxes; These are not acceptable even if they are converted to a
    campervan.
    So that's the end of that.

But,
    Trucks; If you have a truck with a box body and you have adapted it for
    living in where there is no bodily access to the driving cab. This is not
    acceptable.

So the horsebox started life as a Truck
    i have sealed the back door/ramp,
    it is now a sealed box body (Side door access).
    It has a walkthrough.

So i have a Man truck with walk through and box body. It may look similar to a horsebox on the outside ;)

Anyone think that might work???

Thanks for all the responses, they are really helping.

This is my point of confusion, if it is reclassified as a camper then surely its a self build camper - full stop.

But why then do these companies mention the horsebox conversions?

Can a coach, truck, horsebox etc.. be all living area - not classified as a camper, but get insured as a camper???

Did that make sense?

To get a vehicle insured as a camper it must be a camper, the same rule would apply to any vehicle it can't be insured as something else.

A horsebox can not be classed as a camper, for that matter neither can a 'race van', ie a vehicle with living accommodation plus storage for cars/ motor bikes etc.
    Basically if the vehicle, even though it has living accommodation, is used to carry 'goods' (horses, rally cars, Trial bikes, stuff to sell at a fair etc. etc.) is should be classed as a 'goods vehicle' and taxed and insured as such.

However, any goods vehicle converted in such a way as makes it unsuitable for transporting 'goods' and is declared as such can be reclassified as a 'passenger vehicle', a passenger vehicle with not more than eight passenger seats and with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum: (a)seats and table;(b)sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;(c)cooking facilities;(d)storage facilities.This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment. However, the table may be designed to be easily removable is defined as a 'Motor Caravan' see Annex II, Part A, Paragraph 5.1 HERE. |

That's my confusion, if it is reclassified as a camper then what difference does its last use make?

I'm really confused, if it is converted and passes the engineers report needed to reclassify it then what's the problem :-(

That's my confusion, if it is reclassified as a camper then what difference does its last use make?

I'm really confused, if it is converted and passes the engineers report needed to reclassify it then what's the problem :-(

You mention an engineers report, it's not an engineer who does the reclassification, have you had it reclassified officially (as mentioned in my earlier post) by the Vehicle Registrations Office at Shannon, it is only after you have completed that process that you can expect to have it considered to be a camper by insurance companies.

Somebody who has already gone through the process should come along here and set out what is involved.

BTW, the reclassification process will include some amount of VRT to be paid, which will be 13.5% of the vehicles OMSP as a camper, as assessed by Revenue.

niloc1951 wrote: »

You mention an engineers report, it's not an engineer who does the reclassification, have you had it reclassified officially (as mentioned in my earlier post) by the Vehicle Registrations Office at Shannon, it is only after you have completed that process that you can expect to have it considered to be a camper by insurance companies.

Somebody who has already gone through the process should come along here and set out what is involved.

BTW, the reclassification process will include some amount of VRT to be paid, which will be 13.5% of the vehicles OMSP as a camper, as assessed by Revenue.

Thanks again, I meant that I have to get the engineers report next week in order to get the right paperwork together for Shannon. It's an old truck so hoping VRT will be low, have to wait and see :-)

Advertisement