Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler not draining??

• 30-11-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This is our first winter with the MH, so I'm going through the winter checks now. I drained the waste and water tanks a few days ago - remembering to leave the taps open and run the pump for a bit to fully drain. But I remembered yesterday that I hadn't one anything with the boiler. So I went out last night and pulled up the small little release tap that's on the floor beside the boiler. Nothing drained to the outside - I can see where the drain point is on the under-carriage. I really doubt that the contents of the boiler would have gotten to freeze yet. Would my draining of the main water tank have pulled the contents from the boiler? We barely use it - but we know it is functioning, have gotten hot water from it in the past few months.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

Maybe it has self drained. Mine has a drain valve (little vertical cylinder switch) that drops down when the temperature drops below 5Deg. When it drops (or when you push it down) it drains the boiler. It sounds to me like you have just closed the drain valve and that your boiler is already empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭kelbal

Thanks. I read the Truma manual on it, and it says to pull the switch up to drain, which is what I did. The manual said this must be done in freezing temperatures, doesn't say anything about self-drain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If the valve is like THIS ONE the red bit drops down automatically at about 4°C to drain the boiler and pulling it back up closes the valve.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    If the valve is like THIS ONE the red bit drops down automatically at about 4°C to drain the boiler and pulling it back up closes the valve.

No, mine is like this one. Flat is closed and pulled up opens it I think.....

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_25494/Safety_valve_and_drain_tap_for_Truma_Boilers.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

kelbal wrote: »
    No, mine is like this one. Flat is closed and pulled up opens it I think.....

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_25494/Safety_valve_and_drain_tap_for_Truma_Boilers.aspx

Perhaps the boiler drained with the tank, if there was any water in the boiler it should definitely run out of that tap was opened, unless the outlet pipe is blocked with a bit of mud or something :confused:

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Perhaps the boiler drained with the tank, if there was any water in the boiler it should definitely run out of that tap was opened, unless the outlet pipe is blocked with a bit of mud or something :confused:

yeah, might stick a pipe cleaner up the drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

yep , up to drain . Possibly the draining of the tank siphoned the water out of the boiler .

Advertisement