Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Took a while for my camper to start

• 18-12-2012 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi all my 1980's Talbot Express campervan always takes about 10 seconds to start after I turn the key (and have the choke out) maybe even a second turn of the key and 10 more seconds but today it took about 10 turns of the key I thought the battery would even run flat, I start it every few weeks over the winter and bring it on a run once a month or so to keep everything moving.

I was wondering is there anything I can do to help with the starting problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

Could be the ignition is outtov alignment with the starter contacts or just corroded. Does it make any noise when it won't start? Perhaps the barrel has turned inside in the mechanism.

Does it have glow plugs? Those could be worth checking too if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

You say Choke, so I assume it is a petrol? I wonder is the diaphragm in your petrol pump ok.... Does it run ok when started?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    You say Choke, so I assume it is a petrol?

ah...not the glow plugs then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Hi thanks for the replys, yes its a petrol and once it starts its fine runs perfectly and tomorrow it will start after 2-4 seconds like a normal ish vehicle but once its laid up for a week or two im back to square one,
    This summer I got the carburetors, timing and that type of tuning stuff done in a garage and I replaced the ignition coil, ht leads, rotor arm dizzy cap etc.
    The starting problem is like this since I bought it (2 years ago) and nothing I've done has improved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue, any petrol leaking from carb after a run.

Otherwise I would guess it's the needle valve from the symptoms you are giving.

m8 wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like a fuel issue, any petrol leaking from carb after a run.

Otherwise I would guess it's the needle valve from the symptoms you are giving.

Hi theres no petrol leaking, I changed the fuel filter and i got the carb fuel/air mix fixed in the summer and told all was good carb wise

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

it might be letting the petrol flow back to the tank as you say it will start ok tomorrow after being driven today,

a non return (or a one way valve) just before it reaches the carb or petrol filter if thats high up in the engine bay, i think €10 to €15 should get you one from a motor factors,

it might be letting the petrol flow back to the tank as you say it will start ok tomorrow after being driven today,

a non return (or a one way valve) just before it reaches the carb or petrol filter if thats high up in the engine bay, i think €10 to €15 should get you one from a motor factors,

Ok thanks I'll fit a one way/non return valve on the fuel hose just before the fuel filter and see how that works and when I fit it I'll post if it works or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Would your mechanic be old skool? Cos most lads now wouldn't have a notion about carbs. I agree tho about trying the non return valve first.

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Would your mechanic be old skool? Cos most lads now wouldn't have a notion about carbs. I agree tho about trying the non return valve first.

Yeah very old skool Aidan he works on Citroen 2cv's and the like all the time and his garage and engine hoists could be put in a museum ;) I'll defo try that valve and see how it does.

Advertisement