Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,777 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

antoo wrote: »

Quite probably is the one in this ad: <snip>. I emailed and called but no answer.
    If you have suspicions about an ad, approach the guards - do not post details here

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rapidement

My bike was stolen recently outside my house just off Clonkeen Road, Deansgrange.
    It is a red Specialized Allez 16 with black handlebars, pedals and seat.
    The paintwork on the top tube of the bike is quite scratched and the tape around the handlebars has more or less completely gone.
    Any help or info is greatly appreciated via PM or whatever the normal procedure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

My Cube Aerial was stolen from the work car park on Pearse Street yesterday afternoon. They managed to get in when the electric gates were closing after a jeep had entered. Cut my lock and made off with the bike.

I didnt have an expensive lock as I expected my bike to be secure in the car park !!!! Lesson learnt.

2011 model, red tyres, white bar tape, black frame.

Garmin mount on stem. Cateye front light, cateye rear light on seat stay and one of the long vertical ones on the seat tube. Also had a BBB rear mud guard at the time. Scratch on the top tube that probably only I would spot.

They then had the neck to come back 2 hours later and try nick another one. I was feet away from catching one of them !!!!! Gave chase but when you live your day to day being chased cause your a scum bag you are very good at it so I had to give up.

Caught on CCTV and Guards are investigating. Time will tell but Im on the hunt for a new bike now.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44003460/IMAG0802.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ttmac12

Hi guys,

my bike got stolen recently out of the bike stand in the apartment complex in Cork st. It was locked with a thick chain.
    Please see describtion and pic below:

• Black ITM time trial handle bar with integrated gear shifts and red handlebar tape
    • Carbon fork
    • Carbon saddle post
    • Red/black Selle Italia saddle
    • Front wheel: black Gipiemme Grecal Parade
    • Rear wheel: black Campagnolo Vento Reaction
    • Front / rear derailleur: Campagnolo Centaur
    • Crankset: Shimano 105
    • Contact details: <snip>
    • Reward offered
    http://www.gumtree.ie/cp-lost-and-found-in-dublin/stolen-time-trial-road-bike-422698665#

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2406r

Giant FCR1 stolen 18/10/2012 from bike stand outside Heuston Station , beside Luas platform between 12:30pm and 1:50pm:mad: Theft has been reported to Guards.

Bike was locked to bike stand with Oxford Steel Cable - snipped through and left behind.

Bike is Grey, Black and White 2009 moodel - Shimano 105 rd; Shimano Sora fd, Tiagra crankset; relatively new 105 front brake caliper; grey carrier with rear light mount on rhs i.e. just above cassette. Blue bungee cord on carrier. No front mudguard, handlebar fixings for two front lights, and finally left hand side bar end is missing.

Any information leading to its return would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

When are people going to realise that 1 lock just won't cut it.. (excuse the pun)

The majority of bike thieves will ONLY carry 1 type of cutter, if he can snip the chain, he won't get through the D-lock, if he breaks the D-lock he won't get through the chain..

One of the most depressing threads on the whole of boards and I know for a fact this thread would be a heck of a lot smaller if people used simple logic and bought a second lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Zyzz wrote: »
    The majority of bike thieves will ONLY carry 1 type of cutter, if he can snip the chain, he won't get through the D-lock, if he breaks the D-lock he won't get through the chain..

One of the most depressing threads on the whole of boards and I know for a fact this thread would be a heck of a lot smaller if people used simple logic and bought a second lock.

I don't think second lock is going to save any bike. Imho it's just a matter of couple seconds more for professional thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

sebphoto wrote: »

I don't think second lock is going to save any bike. Imho it's just a matter of couple seconds more for professional thief.
    Absolutely. The main function of a second lock is to make your bike less nickable than one of its neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

sebphoto wrote: »

The majority of thieves are not professional though. I 100% agree with you that if a pro thief wants your bike he will get it, but look at the amount of posts in here that have said "I thought it was in a safe location so I only used 1 lock..". Am I wrong in saying that if 2+ locks (of good quality) were used, the thread would be a lot smaller?

I cycled to college the other day (in town) and locked my bike up for a couple of hours with a D-lock, heavy chain, steel cable and a disc lock..call it overkill but I would prefer to have my bike at the end of the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jkilky

Hi All,

I know there is probably as much chance of recovering my bike as there is of Merkel giving us 60 billion as a christmas present but there is comfort in trying.

Its a Trek 1200 (same colours as pic) which was stolen outside Ryans on Parkgate St between 7 and 8 yesterday (sun 21/10/12). Its got different wheels with fewer spokes and black pedels.

If anybody sees it for sale or around I would really appreciate if you contacted me.

Thanks
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ziggymon

ziggymon wrote: »
    hi Guys - got an electrical Bike Stolen from My Shed recently in Waterford City. between Oct 8th & 13th
    I hadn't been in the Shed since the previous weekend and we noticed the door open last Monday Morning, probably taken on the Sunday night, but it really could have been any night since I had last been in the Shed, feckers Climbed the Fence and lifted it back out over the fence
    Make:Wisper Model 905 SE City , Color BLack
    here is a link to a picture just lik it
    similay bike
    They Didn't get the Charger for it, this is a real distinctive electric bike there is none like it in Waterford - I had to buy it from a Company in Limerick
    Mine is like the linked picture - except I also had saddle/Pannier backs on the back and a childs seat on the crossbar, although these could be removed there will be some marks on the Cross bar from the Childs seat,

hopefully someone will spot it - I'm bloody gutted - only finished paying off the loan for it this month too !

just a follow up on the above - I got it back last friday - pretty bashed up but hopefully repairable - cheeky f%$£Rs hung it up on a fence outside the Local shopping area iin broad daylight -
    I had put up posters in the local area - shops, chippers, local comunity centres - places like that, i noticed one in the nearest chipper had come down 2 days later -turned out some guy in a hoodie walked in & took it down - so I put up another one, anyway - I think the upshot was that they figured out what with how distinctive the bike was and the fact that everyone locally knew it was stolen, they couldn't sell it - so I guess for their last kick they damaged it - all the branding looked like it had been rubbed off the frame with an angle grinder, guess it was their atempt to alter the appearence - that I could understand - but then they Chopped off the pedals and carrier (with the pannier bags on it ) I reckon that the grinder cut into the tire & tube on the back wheel coz thats gone too , funnily enough the battery & motor and most of the electronics ( the actual real expensive bits) seem to be still intact, so once I get it back from the Garda - I'll assess the repair cost

anyway - just wanted to let people know what I did and what happened afterwards - I guess these were just young lads and not part of any major bike theft syndicate or anything like that or it would have been shipped off and I would not have got it back - but if anyone on here has stolen bikes - think about your community & how you can use it to your advantage - mine is not a complete success story but there you go !! (Oh ! and I now have a big lock on my shed Door !!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnnyDrama

Stolen - Specialized FSR Comp XC Full Suspension Mountain Bike
    It was stole from a secure underground car park underneath an apartment block on Mount Merrion Avenue.

The bike was locked, and the thieves needed a code to access the car park and to exit. It was taken over the weekend. The bike has distinctive features. If anyone sees anything like it please IM me, I will give a reward if anyone helps me locate it.

I've attached a picture of the actual bike. I've reported it and gave the picture to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Annelea1

Hi

My specliazed rockhopper mountain bike was stolen for underground car park in beech wood court.
    It was stolen Sunday night 21st Oct/ Monday morning 22nd.

The bike was had three locks on it. But the were all cut off.

Police have been notified and have picture.

Below is a link to what the bike looks like.

I would be so grateful if anyone spots it to contact me.

Thanks

Annelea

Stolen Bike.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My (newish) Pendleton Somerby ladies bike in pale blue was stolen last night from my front yard in Rathmines. It currently has a flat tyre as well. I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eyes open for it.

Additions: A basket holder was fixed to the front handlebars, as well as front and rear lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dudara wrote: »
    My (newish) Pendleton Somerby ladies bike in pale blue was stolen last night from my front yard in Rathmines. It currently has a flat tyre as well. I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eyes open for it.

Additions: A basket holder was fixed to the front handlebars, as well as front and rear lights.

They're stealing mod's bikes now?!? Sh1t just got real...

Anybody using the bikeshepherd or bikeregister websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Hi all,

Two bikes were stolen from my garage between late evening Monday 29th October and Tuesday night 30th October 2012 - only discovered when I went to put out my green/brown bins. Santry area.

Giant SCR 2 (2009)
    Blue/Silver/Black frame (Small)
    Charge Spoon Saddle (White)
    Fulcum 7 wheels (red decals)
    Look Keo 2 Mac pedals (white)

Giant Dash 4 (2010)
    White/Yellow/Grey frame (Small)
    Comfort saddle fitted instead of stock giant saddle
    Very good condition - max 100km of use

If anyone comes across them on your travels, I'd be grateful of a PM.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Hiya,

Its probably long gone but I thought'd I'd stick up a post in case someone spots it for sale. Its a mens Imagine Moscato (same as pictured) but also had lights, pedals with straps, a cable lock, handlebar ends and mud gaurds. It was taken from outside my door (Rathpeacon/Killeens area) sometime between 8pm last night and 6am this morning. Its only about 4 weeks old!

The Gardai in Ballincollig have the report and I've also contacted cash converters

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alastairbwhite

My Dawes Discovery 201 grey with black back carrier was stolen sometime this week from Leinster Sq in rathmines. If anyone sees it or notices one on donedeal or something please let me know.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Stick up a picture ya might get lucky any stand out alterations, grips, toe clips etc?

Don't have a pic unfortunately. Its a few years old but just had it services and a few repairs done recently. The saddle is peeling and there are empty light holders and computer holders on the handle bars and a bit of rust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Don't have a pic unfortunately. Its a few years old but just had it services and a few repairs done recently. The saddle is peeling and there are empty light holders and computer holders on the handle bars and a bit of rust.

Man's or woman's? There's a few Dawes Discoveries on adverts.ie - if you search Google for "Dawes Discovery 201" (with quotes) and adverts.ie you'll see them. Take a look on donedeal.ie and gumtree.ie and buyandsell.ie too, also using those quote marks; and on the Garda Flikr account for confiscated bikes.

Mans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Some asshole's gone and nicked my girlfriends 6 month old silver & black Giant Escape 2 - it's a large gents frame, back mudguards and rear rack. Stolen from an enclosed compound near Baggot St. (high walls jumped and rejumped with bike, hidden from cameras, kryptonite locks gone with the bike, the works).

If anyone sees it, or anything that might be it, it'd be greatly appreciated if you could give me a shout. Thanks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Scott speedster nicked from brothers shed in Waterford sat night also had the hybrid version stolen either the same night a few weeks before, have alerted him to the usual online sites used by scobes, any info welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not my bike, but taken from here, http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/11/08/they-may-normally-do-this/
    10 seconds is all it took to take this bike from outside an office in Ranaelagh

One of the posters on a Broadsheet thread about the Ranelagh bike theft has good advice: it's down to the individual garda, so "It’s the luck of the draw with the Garda investigating. Get a Pulse no, find out his/her Watch A/B/C and sergeant name."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bike must have been locked with a crappy cable lock. No way they could cut through or remove a decent U-Lock that quickly.

EDIT: Guy admits as much in the comments below the video. Sad that it seems most people have to learn the hard way before they'll buy a decent lock and use it properly.

Bike must have been locked with a crappy cable lock. No way they could cut through or remove a decent U-Lock that quickly.

EDIT: Guy admits as much in the comments below the video. Sad that it seems most people have to learn the hard way before they'll buy a decent lock and use it properly.

This so reminds me of the 1970s, when everyone in Ireland used to lock their cars with a big lock attaching the steering wheel to the accelerator, or a gigantic chain and padlock! When did that stop?

Back then, it was popular for citizens to limp slowly across a crossing where cars were stopped, then choose a car (preferably driven by a woman), smash the passenger-side window with a crutch, grab her handbag from the front seat and leg it - or else drag her out and drive off with the car.

There were the same kind of "Serves you right for not taking more care" attitudes to drivers then. They seem to have migrated to cyclists now.

Only lock I'd really like to have would be one wired to explode and incinerate the nearest three metres if anyone tried to cut it or wrench it open... (moment of happy violent fantasy). Sorry. I didn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This so reminds me of the 1970s, when everyone in Ireland used to lock their cars with a big lock attaching the steering wheel to the accelerator, or a gigantic chain and padlock! When did that stop?

Back then, it was popular for citizens to limp slowly across a crossing where cars were stopped, then choose a car (preferably driven by a woman), smash the passenger-side window with a crutch, grab her handbag from the front seat and leg it - or else drag her out and drive off with the car.

There were the same kind of "Serves you right for not taking more care" attitudes to drivers then. They seem to have migrated to cyclists now.

Only lock I'd really like to have would be one wired to explode and incinerate the nearest three metres if anyone tried to cut it or wrench it open... (moment of happy violent fantasy). Sorry. I didn't say that.

I think your confusing South Africa with Ireland there... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I think your confusing South Africa with Ireland there... :rolleyes:

No! Not at all!

In fact, I remember a woman who became an underground hero in south inner city Dublin. She was stopped at the crossroads at Dolphin's Barn, a favourite place for this carry-on, and had her passenger-side window open a bit.

One of these citizens thrust his arm through, and she took him by the hand and quickly rolled the window up. (Those were the days of windy-up handles for windows.) Then she drove slowly off, with him running beside the car, trapped by the arm. She drove for around half an hour with him running all the time, not terribly fast, but enough to give him some healthful exercise and a long walk home, before leaning over and winding the window down enough for him to escape, and booting it away.

Dangerous, stupid and completely illegal, of course. But her name was greeted by cheers wherever it was mentioned.

Then two things happened: the economy improved, and crime plummeted; and the Gardaí started targeting the crime of attacks on cars seriously. Nobody remembers them now.

Advertisement