Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunday Buses

Options
  • 29-10-2006 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal here with Sunday buses and the complete lack of service?

Im in Galway at the moment, and although the buses, in fairness, are pretty good during the week (and Saturday), the Sunday service is a shambles. On weekdays/Saturdays there are about 50 services per day on my route (about every 15-20 mins), on Sunday there are 13 - on average 1 per hour. Thats about 1/4 of the services.

Now, in modern Ireland, you cant keep a straight face and say that there are 1/4 the number of people in town shopping as on a Saturday. I know from my time working in shops that Sunday (from 3-5pm) is as busy as Saturday. So why the lack of buses?

I can understand that the buses obviously dont need to start regular services at 7am like weekdays. But why only one bus an hour, when weekdays are 15mins? It seems crazy to me. The traffic was terrible today, possibly as a result, and the bus I got into and out of town was absolutly crammed, so people do NEED and WANT the Sunday bus.

I know theres double time etc to pay on Sunday, but that doesnt account for why there are only 1/4 of the bus services.

Another example of Irish public transport not getting with the times? Or is there a logical explanation?

Do tell :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

One question for you, When your bus did eventually come was it full?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

spareman wrote:
    One question for you, When your bus did eventually come was it full?

The traffic was terrible today, possibly as a result, and the bus I got into and out of town was absolutly crammed, so people do NEED and WANT the Sunday bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Well your not going to get it by posting here, write to your local bus garage operations manager, From my own experiance of working on sundays, some routes would be busy, but most are empty all day, the only ones that complain are the ones who dont check the timetable and end up waiting an hour or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I will admit there were some of those people waiting at the busstop (not me), but that was because the timetable at the stop had Sunday times, but the ink saying "Sunday times" had run off from the rain :D

Letter time ->

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well one reason is because wages are much more expensive on a Sunday, so therefore it's more expensive to run buses on Sundays. And demand is usually much less also....hence the infrequent times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

I drive the sunday mornings too and i have it easy till about 11am.
    The QBC's may fill up sooner??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bazzyk

send your experiences, good and bad, to officialwheresthebus@hotmail.com and they will be posted to www.officialwheresthebus.com

Its just a home page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bazzyk

yeah just set up, once I get some comments I'll post them

I cant see many emailing comments.
    Try a forum (google) proboards OR search Free forums where people can post their true feelings instead of the email approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement