Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to do 400m repeats? Anywhere near Phoenix Park?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I'll be in Dublin Tuesday evening needing to do a session of 400m repeats. Are there any pay as you go tracks easily accessible in the evenings? near to Phoenix Park would be convenient, but I could travel.

I saw this (Kilbarrack) but sounds like it won't be lit in the evening:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89086578

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you have a watch you can programme a training session into? A garmin/polar?

The Chapelizod road (park side) has markings every 100m from Chapelizod gate to Islandbridge gate and is a perfect place for repeats. Can be a bit of a wind tunnel but should be fine based on current weather. You might not see the markings on the road but coming from the Chapelizod gate, past the bus shelter, past the 'railing' on your right...when you get to the next wooden (telecoms?) pole thats the start of the markings, you'll get to 400m when you hit a pole with a blue sign (to your left)...if your reach another bus stop, you've gone too far. The bus stops on Chapelizod road are roughly 500m apart.

You could also just start at a cycle lane bike marking along there...they're 100m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A full circuit of the polo grounds, say starting at the pavilion and sticking to bike path/ road all the way around, is 1 mile/ 1600m and a decent surface with not much traffic. You could use the aerial map to divide into four approximate sections, you could do 400 on 400 off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ALSAA track up by airport. 10euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Do you have a watch you can programme a training session into? A garmin/polar?
    Unfortunately not.
    The Chapelizod road (park side) has markings every 100m from Chapelizod gate to Islandbridge gate..
    This sounds perfect for what I'm looking to do. Thank you RQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Another option if you can manage to run in the daylight is the Furze Road.

The 2 sets of posts in the ground are 400m apart. I've done 400's there before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Did the repeats session a short while ago on the stretch recommended by Racoon Queen. Hard to pick out the markings at first but the reference point of the telegraph pole helped on the first eastward section I did. Wind tunnel right enough, but made for a good session. 400m in a straight line seems a lot further than when on a track - or maybe it's just running repeats solo that's hard!

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

Chapelizod road would be good alright but I find the park side of the road pretty badly lit when it gets dark.
    The 15 acres is a great spot for intervals in daylight hours, the pavilions side track/path has 1,2,4,6 and 800m markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ooter wrote: »
    Chapelizod road would be good alright but I find the park side of the road pretty badly lit when it gets dark.
    The 15 acres is a great spot for intervals in daylight hours, the pavilions side track/path has 1,2,4,6 and 800m markers.

Never noticed those markers before - are they on the ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

kit3 wrote: »
    Never noticed those markers before - are they on the ground ?

yeah, they're a bit faded at this stage but you can definitely still see them.
    the 800m marker is at one of the gaa pitches near the magazine fort and they work back from there to the beginning of the straight at acres road.

Advertisement