Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tech or retro cotton t shirt

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

purple cow wrote: »
    I think a fridge magnet is a great idea - although i get your point about maybe losing it with the big bag etc. I'd definitely display a magnet proudly on the 'fridge.
    I have to say if there's a medal after a race i either don't take it or it eventually makes its way to the bin.....

Just to make it useable we are thinking a bottle opener as part of the fridge magnet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's all very well that people have loads of tshirts and so after a while we feel that we don't need any more, but don't let all race organisers suddenly stop providing tshirts or we'll regret it and soon run out of them. Also where will new runners be accumulating their kit from otherwise.

Best freebie was the fridge magnet that London Marathon gave us a few years ago that you could put your time on. Real shame they don't do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

My hat from the Frank Duffy 10 mile and my mug from the Jingle Bells 5km get plenty of use. Much better getting those then tee shirts. Medals for small races are a bit silly too. Bottle opener is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I could do with a pair of gloves this month :D My Frank Duffy hat is getting plenty of use too!

There was surely a time when the teeshirt was a novelty. It seems that they have become all but compulsory, almost like the first consideration. Which is a bit of a pity. For me, while I like a good teeshirt, I've been at events where I have thought if they put as much thought into the run, marketing it, the organisation on the day, food after etc. as the teeshirt, then I might have gone back in subsequent years. I have loads of teeshirts for events that I haven't bothered with again, I can think of one where afair they advertised teeshirts for the first 1000 as if that was the entire issue, they got about a tenth of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm new to races. I only did my first one last year and have done about 7 so far. For me personally, I quite like getting a medal at the end but I do understand that if you have been running for years then the novelty would wear off.

Well we'll always have medals at our events, its something nice to get and i know i've kept all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

And the Off The Laois medal was a fine medal

diego_b wrote: »
    And the Off The Laois medal was a fine medal

Thanks,

We're cutting out the middle man and sourcing our selves in 2015, it should half the costs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Personally I can't stand medals at a race. Not necessary and pointless, put the money to better use elsewhere. I don't care if you just finished a 10k race, unless you won it you shouldnt be getting a medal.

• Advertisement

Cona wrote: »
    Personally I can't stand medals at a race. Not necessary and pointless, put the money to better use elsewhere. I don't care if you just finished a 10k race, unless you won it you shouldnt be getting a medal.

As i said, everyone wants and thinks something different and in our events we ask and whatever the majority say is the way we go.

We asked last year and the majority wanted medals so we went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

purple cow wrote: »
    I am a bit worried that I like this idea so much.....

Advertisement