Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extremely cheap tablet - Archos Arnova 8, dropped from £139 to £57.27 Amazon

• 13-07-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Not the most powerful tablet on the market, but still pretty useful for the price.

I'm just getting this for someone who needs to read her college PDFs, the odd Audio and eBook, facebook, youtube and the usual net use.

A quick check on CamelCamel shows it was up in the £139/€160 a few days ago, down to £57.27/€66.12 with free delivery to UK or your ParcelMotel (UK VAT) -or- free delivery to Ireland at £58.71/€67.84 (Irish VAT).

61Z64432VlL._SL300_.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Xzen wrote: »
    Not the most powerful tablet on the market, but still pretty useful for the price.

I'm just getting this for someone who needs to read her college PDFs, the odd Audio and eBook, facebook, youtube and the usual net use.

A quick check on CamelCamel shows it was up in the £139/€160 a few days ago, down to £57.27/€66.12 with free delivery to UK or your ParcelMotel (UK VAT) -or- free delivery to Ireland at £58.71/€67.84 (Irish VAT).

61Z64432VlL._SL300_.jpg

Resistive screen = pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

It's got a resistive screen so I'd steer clear even at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I've used this it's a horrible piece of tat. Wouldn't use it for a coaster. Avoid at any price.

39670968.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

RAM Size - 4 GB
    that's BS, it has 512MB of memory and 4GB of storage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

That thing is a total waste of money. OP, you should cancel your order before it's too late.

Multiple reviews on Amazon say it doesn't even have Google Play access, along with the really, really bad spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

you should cancel your order before it's too late.

Too late for me, it's already dispatched.

Not too worried though, I've used resistive tabs and phones in the past, never had major issues. They're not as responsive as capacitive screens, but good enough for reading a few PDFs and the odd email :)

As for the Google App store, that can be fixed with a new ROM, although the only app being used is Aldiko (available as an APK for self-loading).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Too late for me, it's already dispatched.

Not too worried though, I've used resistive tabs and phones in the past, never had major issues. They're not as responsive as capacitive screens, but good enough for reading a few PDFs and the odd email :)

As for the Google App store, that can be fixed with a new ROM, although the only app being used is Aldiko (available as an APK for self-loading).

One of the reviewers says it's actually capacitive anyway. For all its short comings, the reviews aren't that horrific and it is cheap enough. Battery is supposedly decent which lets a lot of the really cheap Chinese tablets down. I don't think you will be that disappointed. For that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

One of the reviewers says it's actually capacitive anyway. For all its short comings, the reviews aren't that horrific and it is cheap enough. Battery is supposedly decent which lets a lot of the really cheap Chinese tablets down. I don't think you will be that disappointed. For that money.

That model can be resistive or capacitive, see link:

http://arnovatech.com/products/g2/arn_8/?country=lv&lang=en

I've asked Amazon for more info and they're going to do a physical check for me in their warehouse. Soon as I know more I'll update the thread :)

Incidentally, my tablet dispatched with a new delivery company called iParcel - first time I've ever had this on Amazon - anyone ever heard of or had packages from them? Are they any good :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've asked Amazon for more info and they're going to do a physical check for me in their warehouse. Soon as I know more I'll update the thread :)

Incidentally, my tablet dispatched with a new delivery company called iParcel - first time I've ever had this on Amazon - anyone ever heard of or had packages from them? Are they any good :confused:

I've had a package from Iparcel. It took about a week to arrive, it's delivered by Fastway when it gets to Ireland

One thing though, their online tracking is rubbish. It'll tell you that your package is in America, or Australia or the UK so that's a bit nerve racking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Would never buy archos again.

Archos 70 Internet tablet, fine hardware wise, updates are crap, missing codecs so you can't play some movies (you have to buy these as an add on)

Also it didn't charge from USB ... PILE of CRAP.

Got an update and good news. The screen is capacitive.

The i-Parcel tracking shows mine in Australia though :D . We'll see on Monday.

(added here since I can't update the OP).

Advertisement