Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

• 25-05-2011 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

RTE have been advertising that they will be showing the Magners League and Champions League on HD at the weekend.

I cannot see that RTE 2 HD has been added to the Sky EPG.

I cannot see any reference where RTE 2 HD can be added in the Other Channels Section.

I basically cannot find any answers on the net for this.

Does anyone know how I can get this channel on my Sky HD box ??

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, RTE2 HD is currently only available on Saorview. The new digital replacement for terrestrial (needs an aerial) TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

Not available on Sky, adverts on RTE state Saorview - no reference to Sky at any point.

Of course we hope it does eventually get onto Sky................

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

Surely as TV Licence payers and also paying Sky for RTE, Sky customers will have to be given the Saorview channels on the Sky platform.

Or am I being over simplistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Why_oh_why wrote: »
    Surely as TV Licence payers and also paying Sky for RTE, Sky customers will have to be given the Saorview channels on the Sky platform.

TV licence is just a tax on having a television - what you receive on it is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, as has been said, TV Licence is a tax on TV equipment.

Also, DTT RTE 2 will be switching between HD and SD content - can sky receivers handle that? There's no seperate RTE2 HD channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I don't see why. Sky is a foreign platform who pay no taxes from subscriptions to the Irish exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Go Freesat

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Go Saorview

http://www.saorview.ie/

BBC1 HD, ITV HD, CH4 HD, RTE HD - All Free, gratis, no charge, zero, nada.

You get the point. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

evilivor wrote: »
    TV licence is just a tax on having a television - what you receive on it is immaterial.

But your paying to receive RTE content. The license fee goes to RTE. Surely it is up to them to ensure all households who pay the license fee get the same content.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭StiophanM

I assume RTE will broadcast their HD content free on their new Saorsat service but that isn't going to come from the same satellite you get Sky from. You will certainly need additional equipement other than the standard SKY\FTA set up to view.

I also assume the reason for 'having to pay' for RTE on Sky is both a commercial deal done between Sky and RTE and copyright issues where an 'imported' program in Ireland is owned by RTE but for the UK someone else. The latter probably explains why it will go onto a different satellite altogether when RTE broadcasts via satellite free.

The TV license does get to me too. I can't even justify (in my head) the Tax on a TV thing'. You pay for it via Sky or Cable as well as stations getting revenue for advertising etc etc.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Demesneman

Have you checked with Saorview? I think RTE2 is broadcasting via this service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

It won't happen yet. RTÉ have stated that they will make RTE 2 HD available to Sky, UPC and any other platform at a later date so that the Saorview platform can be promoted. After that it will then be up to that platform if they want to carry RTE 2 HD and indeed any other Irish HD channel.

Yes RTE2 HD is on Saorview (For those not knowing its via your Aerial and you may need a set top box - there are numourous threads about it elsewhere on Boards)

Yes RTE HD channels will be on Sky but not FREE

:cool:

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    But your paying to receive RTE content. The license fee goes to RTE. Surely it is up to them to ensure all households who pay the license fee get the same content.
    That's not correct. TV Licence is on equipment not content.

Sorry Rlogue - he wasn't asking in the first place if it was going to be FTA!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That's not correct. TV Licence is on equipment not content.

So RTE do not get the monies from the license fee?

They get most of it (not all), but that doesn't change what the fee is actually on.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Yes, as has been said, TV Licence is a tax on TV equipment.

Also, DTT RTE 2 will be switching between HD and SD content - can sky receivers handle that? There's no seperate RTE2 HD channel.

This is incorrect. RTE 2 on Saorview is broadcast in HD all the time. For SD content the picture is upscaled to HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

rlogue wrote: »
    It won't happen yet. RTÉ have stated that they will make RTE 2 HD available to Sky, UPC and any other platform at a later date so that the Saorview platform can be promoted. After that it will then be up to that platform if they want to carry RTE 2 HD and indeed any other Irish HD channel.
    Interesting that tomorrow is supposed to be the official launch date for Saorview. Thursday is one of the days when Sky rolls out new channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

homelink wrote: »
    Interesting that tomorrow is supposed to be the official launch date for Saorview. Thursday is one of the days when Sky rolls out new channels?

Now that really is clutching at straws!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

RTE is utter drivel and on Sky I think I may of brushed past it a couple of times that's it since it was made available... ****e in HD is still ****e... just it's High Definition ****e... =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Noffles wrote: »
    RTE is utter drivel and on Sky I think I may of brushed past it a couple of times that's it since it was made available... ****e in HD is still ****e... just it's High Definition ****e... =)

You can't please everybody all the time. On the flip side, I watch RTE maybe 75% of the time. The majority of everything else on Sky (exlcuding the BBC / C4 channels) I consider to be utter drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The TV Licence fee goes to the exchequer, from there it is allocated by the Dept of Comms to RTÉ, TG4 and the BAI Sound & Vision fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭homelink

JDxtra wrote: »
    Now that really is clutching at straws!!
    Just hoping someone might bite;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Noffles wrote: »

Your not wrong there ;)
    JDxtra wrote: »
    You can't please everybody all the time. On the flip side, I watch RTE maybe 75% of the time. The majority of everything else on Sky (exlcuding the BBC / C4 channels) I consider to be utter drivel.

There are many quality shows on the likes of Sky HD, Living HD, Atlantic HD, FX HD, Comedy Central HD, Universal HD, Syfy HD and the many HD documentary channels plus of course BBC HD Eurosport HD and then the HD channels via other channels. ;)

In the UK when BBC HD was released it was made available on all platforms.

After all, that's the right way to do it, as people already have equipment. No need to buy additional equipment.

Of course there is the right way and then there is the Irish way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

mad muffin wrote: »

The Irish way (and anywhere else I know in the world) is to best serve your own commercial interest which is what RTE are doing in this case.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    The Irish way (and anywhere else I know in the world) is to best serve your own commercial interest which is what RTE are doing in this case.
    It's not even really just an RTE commercial interest though - giving saorview an advantage to establish itself will help the consumer in the long run. The launch of saorview, along with greater consumer knowledge of the availablity of freesat and/or combo's has to have been a factor in the Sky price freeze and them finally adding BBC3 and BBC4. Some coincidence of timing if it wasn't!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

After all, that's the right way to do it, as people already have equipment. No need to buy additional equipment.

On the other hand, that isn't what ITV HD or C4 HD did.

ITV HD launched exclusively on Freesat, to help promote that and C4 HD launched exclusively on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

It's not even really just an RTE commercial interest though - giving saorview an advantage to establish itself will help the consumer in the long run. The launch of saorview, along with greater consumer knowledge of the availablity of freesat and/or combo's has to have been a factor in the Sky price freeze and them finally adding BBC3 and BBC4. Some coincidence of timing if it wasn't!

yes amazing what even the hint of a reduction in subscription revenue will do to sky. before this it was a take it all attitude and give as little back as possible to their irish subscribers.
    I welcome RTE 2 HD and look foward to watching live sport in HD for free on saturday without having to pay sky an extra 15euro to watch it or have to invest in a satellite dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

But they do, as much as is possible they do make it available to all households, via their own network. It's up to you whether you want to receive it or not. Why should RTE facilitate Rupert Murdoch's empire? I know I wouldn't if I were in their shoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Your not wrong there ;)

There are many quality shows on the likes of Sky HD, Living HD, Atlantic HD, FX HD, Comedy Central HD, Universal HD, Syfy HD and the many HD documentary channels plus of course BBC HD Eurosport HD and then the HD channels via other channels. ;)

All those HD channels you have listed with the exception of BBC HD are all an extra in subscription to Sky. They charge you more to get a picture quality that we should be getting by default if we are to pay at all to receive it. That's €15 a month extra for zero extra content, only a few of the channels you have already in higher resolution. BBC have a corporate link to Sky, which is why they would make BBC HD available on the listing.
    BBC, ITV and RTE all give their HD channels free of charge, which you can receive if you like.
    Obviously you prefer to applaud Sky and criticise the "Irish way". Fair enough, if that makes you happy!

Advertisement