Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL regulalr season game in Croke Park ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As soon as I read Mary Hannafin was involved I closed the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Isn't there already a college football game planned for Croke Park next year:
    http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/Notre-Dame-will-play--99541444.html

It's hard to trust an article that says:
    It was quite the spectacle with a frenzied atmosphere usually experienced at native Irish sporting events, such as Curling and Gaelic football games played in the park.
    :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

no spideog7 - however there is a college game in ireland next year =) Notre dame and navy are playing in the aviva . i think its september or october , not sure though .

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

september 3rd first game of their season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

spideog7 wrote: »
    Isn't there already a college football game planned for Croke Park next year:
    http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/Notre-Dame-will-play--99541444.html

It's hard to trust an article that says:
    :mad:

On a final note to offer some friendly advice, if you are travelling from America to see the game and are lost and looking for the “Croke Park” the locals pronounce it with a silent “k” (like “Crohe”) or the “Croker”.

from that article again - crohe :confused: crow :confused: how does one pronounce crohe???

and slightly more topical - when are the tickets for this game going on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What game are you on about exactly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jagerluvinliamo

Dan Rooney was on newstalk, pretty much shot down the idea. But if expects croke park will approach the nfl about it. He was adamant that it be a Steelers road game if it ever happens. It pretty much sounds like that CP is offering an alternative venue to the wembley game or a second international game.I woulda thought they have done this before. Thing is i doubt that the nfl would be interested in ireland given the size market and would look to offers elsewhere insted such as in germany if a game outside of wembley was a runner.

As regards the Steelers, it would have to be an away non conference team so given 49ers were in london last year it would have to be Arizona. So already its narrowed down to one hopeful volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Dan Rooney was on newstalk, pretty much shot down the idea.

he was on RTE Radio 1 last night and he stated that it was a distinct possibility of a game being played in croker in the 2011/12 season.

he said the commissioner of the NFL was to meet GAA representatives over the coming summer to trash out a deal.

but he did say it was far from a fore-gone conclusion that it was a certain fixture

he also said the Steelers would be very interested in being one of the franchises to participate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 imqc12

I'd luv 2 c pats and d saints playin in croker or aviva,:D:):cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd love to be going out with Giselle. Neither going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

imqc12 wrote: »
    I'd luv 2 c pats and d saints playin in croker or aviva,:D:):cool:

Two things wrong with this post, Text speak and the type of fantasy land where I am the starting QB at the Pats playing in the Aviva in 2020 against the Saints and I robbed Giselle from the arms of adrian552 also.

But in all seriousness both of those teams are done doing international games. Can't see either of them doing it ever again.

Must not forget the smiley face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SimpleOrder

that would be great if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I still think the Meath team of the late 80s will have been the toughest football team to ever play in Croke Park.:cool:

Certainly the dirtiest.

It doesn't look like there will be an NFL game at Croke park any time soon,

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/no-more-non-gaa-sports-for-croke-park-says-mckenna-147622.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

adrian522 wrote: »
    It doesn't look like there will be an NFL game at Croke park any time soon,

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/no-more-non-gaa-sports-for-croke-park-says-mckenna-147622.html

it says in that there are hopes for an NFL game in the future? its a nothing article really.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

no spideog7 - however there is a college game in ireland next year =) Notre dame and navy are playing in the aviva . i think its september or october , not sure though .
    bobby wade wrote: »
    september 3rd first game of their season

the Aviva stadium site says Sept 1 2012.

who would be handling ticket sales i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Torlac wrote: »

Too early to say really. Depends on who Navy decide to sell the tickets through as they are the home team. Im sure the decision will be made all in good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Could we host the Pro Bowl? I'm no expert but I think it was only 4 million dollars for the rights to it!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't pay to see the pro bowl to be honest.

it's a nothing game, I wouldn't open the curtains if it was on in the back garden.

The rules for the game destroy any chance it could be an interesting game (e.g no blitzing, must play zone defence etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lol at the pro bowl. Hmmm, I wonder what the players would prefer, a week Hawaii or a week in Dublin in January. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Torlac wrote: »

yeah it's the 1st I guessed at the date

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Newstalk sport reported this morning that a delegation from the NFL will be visiting Croke Park on Friday with a view to holding a regular season game in 2013. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jpjc05 wrote: »
    Newstalk sport reported this morning that a delegation from the NFL will be visiting Croke Park on Friday with a view to holding a regular season game in 2013. :)

Yeah I heard that on the radio. Would be great. Im already looking forward to the college game next year. to have an NFL game to look forwrd to the folowing season would be great.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just a bit of literature from the Examiner.
    HIGH ranking NFL officials will visit Croke Park on Friday to assess the stadium’s suitability to host their games.

As was revealed in yesterday’s Irish Examiner, American Football’s top brass admitted Dublin was on their radar as they plan to develop their brand in Europe by playing regular season games on this side of the Atlantic.

A number of other European cities are understood to be bidding for such ties and last night Croke Park chief Peter McKenna revealed that his team are close to finalising a formal bid document.

Mr McKenna said: "That story is very timely. We are hosting a delegation on Friday from the NFL. We have been looking at this issue [hosting a regular season game] for some time and have been very encouraged by the huge support we have received from US Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney who is also chairman of the Pittsburgh Steelers in recent months."

If Croke Park are successful in wooing the NFL, McKenna believes that there will be massive economic potential from such games.

He reasoned: "This is not just about Croke Park, this is about Ireland. We are used to hosting large events in this country, like the Volvo Ocean Race and the Ryder Cup. So we would be perfectly capable of hosting a regular season NFL game.

"But this represents a tremendous opportunity for Croke Park, Dublin and for Ireland in terms of tourism, publicity and revenue generation."

Friday’s meeting is part of a complex bid process.

"The officials will want to have a number of questions answered as part of a tender process.

"We are competing with other cities in Europe for this, so it is very more than just a once off hit. We are due to have a formal bid with them by mid December.

"We are at a very advanced stage in our bid document, this is not something that you could do in a day or a week.

"We have been preparing this for quite some while and we hope that it will all pay off.

"This will all hopefully fit with the Sports Minister’s plan for The Gathering’ Diaspora 2013 project. So hopefully all these things are coming nicely together. Croke Park has hosted NFL games in the past. But this is on a different level."

NFL’s owners voted last month to add a second foreign game to the league’s season to go with the London fixture which was first played in 2007. The first time the NFL ever went abroad for a regular season game was Mexico City in 2005 but Wembley has been the venue on the last five occasions.

"It’s clear that there’s support for more than one game (in the UK)," league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell told Sports Illustrated. "The ownership has passed a resolution allowing us to do that. We may do that as early as 2012. We’re sort of contemplating that in the context of them hosting the Olympics next summer. We had a (pre-season) game (in Croke Park) in the 1990s where Chicago and Pittsburgh played, and it was a great success."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/croker-touchdown-for-nfl-chiefs-175426.html#ixzz1f5RoMwAh

how long before the rumour mill starts again about the Steelers with Mr Rooney the US ambassador for Ireland wanting to play here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

D3PO wrote: »
    how long before the rumour mill starts again about the Steelers with Mr Rooney the US ambassador for Ireland wanting to play here ?

As long as we're given a good bit of notice. I want to make sure any female relatives are out of the country before Big Ben arrives.

Cam Newton wrote: »
    As long as we're given a good bit of notice. I want to make sure any female relatives are out of the country before Big Ben arrives.

Your honor I thought Mna was the mens toilets .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Up against other cities and tbh with the game in Wembley im sure they would problably want to extend the reach further East like maybe have a game in Germany!

More likely to get a Steelers pre-season game?

Advertisement