Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Significant399

Today actually went pretty well. Really happy with all my classes. Only had 45 minutes homework, tomorrow's when it all kicks off. Looking forward to learning everything tho, just the homework :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Liordi wrote: »
    Had three hours of homework tonight. I'm not liking this :rolleyes:

On the first day?

Jaysus, that's a baptism of fire if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Peregrine wrote: »
    On the first day?

Jaysus, that's a baptism of fire if there ever was one.

No it's my fourth day. Started last Wednesday. :( Was off on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Back tomorrow, dreading getting my timetable:-/ the other year's timetables have been cat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Went back today and it was great craic but i have a few useless teachers.

• Advertisement

Homework only took an hour and a half today. :D

Out of the subjects I have; I'm really disliking Biology and English due to the teachers.
    Maybe they'll grow on me but as of now the classes feel so long because all the teachers are doing is reading from the book. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Started today, timetable is grand. Ended up with a lot of useless teachers, except for physics and maths where I got an absolute genius of a man for the subjects.

You know you go to a culchie school where one of the first things on the principal's address this morning was an outright ban on "tractors and other agricultural vehicles" in the school car park.

There used to be great freedom in bringin the MF 135 for a spin into school in the mornings :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

It's no fun if it's not a Massey 65😉

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I also started today. We haven't gotten our full timetable, but what I have gotten is grand. I got great teachers for most of my subjects. There are so many people in my year, as there was a lot of TY's, loads of people in 3rd year skipped TY, and a good few repeated.

I've bought around 13 A4 Copies. :o I need 3 for French. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

Started back yesterday, timetable is fine except for double maths and physics first thing on a Monday morning which might just kill me...

Really regret not choosing chemistry, I can't move to it since we picked our subjects at the end of 3rd year before going into TY and the class already started the work last year :mad:

• Advertisement

@tea
    What if someone who skipped transition year opted for Chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 teafanatic

@tea
    What if someone who skipped transition year opted for Chemistry?

TY is compulsory in my school because we do loads of the LC course during it. Apparently this is against the rules but the school has yet to get in trouble for it after 10+ years :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Started back Tuesday, complete waste of a day sorting out classes and timetables and stuff like that. Haven't gotten any great deal of homework yet but that will probably all change soon :( doing English, irish, maths, geography, chemistry, French, biology and music

teafanatic wrote: »
    TY is compulsory in my school because we do loads of the LC course during it. Apparently this is against the rules but the school has yet to get in trouble for it after 10+ years :rolleyes:

I didn't know schools did that. :eek:
    I would not have done TY if it was more work orientated. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is my "easy" day. Have PE & Careers. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

teafanatic wrote: »

The more people talk about it online the more the DES will look for the school. It's easy enough work out what school it is from the subjects mentioned by people posting about it.

spurious wrote: »
    The more people talk about it online the more the DES will look for the school. It's easy enough work out what school it is from the subjects mentioned by people posting about it.

Honestly, if that was my school I'm sure several of the parents would have complained and reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

I'm doing history geography and Ag! Anyone else doing ag it doesn't seem that popular? We haven't done that much so far really but I'm liking everything! We're doing The Great Gatsby and The Kings Speech for the comparative as well! Not happy with my base class but I'm only with them for Religion, PE and study so I'll deal, all my other classes are grand no terrible teachers (yet lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Xgracie wrote: »
    I'm doing history geography and Ag! Anyone else doing ag it doesn't seem that popular? We haven't done that much so far really but I'm liking everything! We're doing The Great Gatsby and The Kings Speech for the comparative as well! Not happy with my base class but I'm only with them for Religion, PE and study so I'll deal, all my other classes are grand no terrible teachers (yet lol)

There's over a third of our year doing ag, that's more than chemistry. Haven't done a lot either, they've been sorting out classes and teachers and what not. It's not too bad now until they start piling on homework. :(

We don't have base classes.
    There's different people in all of my non-exam subjects.

Like I had expected; Thursday was my least time consuming day with homework thus far. Only took me 40 minutes. That was without Applied Maths though as noone has the book yet so it could take a lot longer next week. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Honestly, if that was my school I'm sure several of the parents would have complained and reported it.

I'm amazed the teachers haven't. There is extra money given for TY and a different PTR, it is not supposed to be an extra LC year and the school would have accepted those funds knowing they were not going to bother fulfilling the conditions. Nice example to be setting the students.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying Chemistry but our Biology class is a Joke.

My HL Irish teacher is a disaster. Delivers the whole class in Irish which should be beneficial but is leaving most of us completely lost. Made us transcribe an A3 newspaper article that was in Irish into our copies, must have been about 500 words. Irish -> Irish, no translating involved, was like giving us lines more or less. Pointless stuff altogether.

A few of us went to the VP today asking (politely) if there was any way we could move out into the other HL class. She said she understood our plight totally, but that if we "jump ship" everybody else will want to follow and there will be war. She said that it's pretty much a dead end and there's nothing she can do.

Where do I go from here? Just endure it complacently and wave goodbye to a decent grade in Irish or try to persue this further? Not sure what to do really. Several of my friends in leaving cert have this same teacher for HL Irish and they've all ended up doing grinds. Students have tried getting petitions going for stuff like this in the past but often those who started the mutiny end up getting suspended and I'd like to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

We got loads of homework tonight its the first proper night of homework we've had but we'll get more next week which I'm not looking forward to. My base class is also awful however we're not in it that much so I'll get over it.

My Irish teacher also speaks only in Irish but we're getting along fine. I'd stick with it for a while if I was you and if you need to get grinds next year. Or teach yourself using the Irish book. My French teacher also only speaks in French which is going to take loads of getting used to as I can't remember a word of French but hopefully it will come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

My HL Irish teacher is a disaster. Delivers the whole class in Irish which should be beneficial but is leaving most of us completely lost. Made us transcribe an A3 newspaper article that was in Irish into our copies, must have been about 500 words. Irish -> Irish, no translating involved, was like giving us lines more or less. Pointless stuff altogether.

A few of us went to the VP today asking (politely) if there was any way we could move out into the other HL class. She said she understood our plight totally, but that if we "jump ship" everybody else will want to follow and there will be war. She said that it's pretty much a dead end and there's nothing she can do.

Where do I go from here? Just endure it complacently and wave goodbye to a decent grade in Irish or try to persue this further? Not sure what to do really. Several of my friends in leaving cert have this same teacher for HL Irish and they've all ended up doing grinds. Students have tried getting petitions going for stuff like this in the past but often those who started the mutiny end up getting suspended and I'd like to avoid that.

I'm not sure if it would work because you've already been to the VP about it but you could always say that you'd like to be moved to a slower paced HL class if there's one available as you're finding the teacher difficult to understand. You might have to fib a bit but it could be worth a try.

DES policy is that Irish classes should be in Irish, likewise other languages, once you get past the basics.

Yeah. I would say our Irish and German classes are 80% Irish/German and 20% English.
    I don't think anyone would learn much if it was 100% the specific language but a large quantity of it definitely helps.

Absolutely wrecked this evening and I only had a 3 day week. Teachers are going hard as nails to try and wake us up after TY. 100 French verbs to learn for the weekend :pac:

Just waiting on my work ethic to magically reappear...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Absolutely wrecked this evening and I only had a 3 day week. Teachers are going hard as nails to try and wake us up after TY. 100 French verbs to learn for the weekend :pac:

Just waiting on my work ethic to magically reappear...

100 French verbs. That's actually disgusting. :(

I've been in school a week today and still no sign of the pre-TY work ethic...going into study tomorrow in school though so that might give me the kick up the ass that I need...at least, I hope it will! :D

100 French verbs. That's actually disgusting. :(

I've been in school a week today and still no sign of the pre-TY work ethic...going into study tomorrow in school though so that might give me the kick up the ass that I need...at least, I hope it will! :D

The evening study and saturday study in our school is completely booked out with just LCs alone. No room for 5th years or 3rd years at all...I never planned on doing either but I know a lot of my friends are sort of at a dead end because they were banking on a seat :pac:

• Advertisement

Has anyone made any kind of study plans yet?

Advertisement