Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Not a presenter, a regular guest on Pat Kenny's programme is some fella from the sciences (TCD or UCD) who guffaws at the beginning and/or middle and/or end of almost every sentence he utters. At this stage I think it's probably just as weird tic that doesn't happen once the red light goes off.

I'm not sure I know the fellah you mean, but in general the whole "forced mirthless laugh" thing winds me up a lot. Ruth Coppinger rarely seems to be able to answer a question without a sneery laugh at it. Without any detectable shred of actual amusement in it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

crossman47 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread. The rugby commentator Michael Corcoran always says "the match referee" (what other ref is there?) and "at this moment in time" - just say now.

Also,"over on that far side of the pitch".

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I'm not sure I know the fellah you mean, but in general the whole "forced mirthless laugh" thing winds me up a lot. Ruth Coppinger rarely seems to be able to answer a question without a sneery laugh at it. Without any detectable shred of actual amusement in it whatsoever.

Oh yeah, John Cleese did this incessantly in yesterday's Newsnight interview. Cringey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Nicky Byrne with his of the saying e.g Jenny of the greens, lotty of the Ryan’s. What is the of the about?

Jennehy wrote: »
    Nicky Byrne with his of the saying e.g Jenny of the greens, lotty of the Ryan’s. What is the of the about?

Once got a slight smile about 12 years ago, so he's been saying it relentlessly ever since.

Or alternatively, it's a dogwhistle shout-out to his legions of Freeman on the Land followers. Why should Jim Corr have all the fun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Why do AA traffic reports usually sound like horse race commentaries?

Rapid, random and breathless?

dense wrote: »
    Why do AA traffic reports usually sound like horse race commentaries?

Rapid, random and breathless?

This has struck me before. Maybe it's because their model listener is a stereotypically toxic masculine boy racer type. So in order for them to listen to the reports-- or even not be so enraged they smash their radio up immediately -- the presenters telling them to do things have to sound as harmless and helpless as possible?

This has struck me before. Maybe it's because their model listener is a stereotypically toxic masculine boy racer type. So in order for them to listen to the reports-- or even not be so enraged they smash their radio up immediately -- the presenters telling them to do things have to sound as harmless and helpless as possible?

No I doubt the typical toxic masculinity boy racer type even listens to radio.

Mainly boom boom self selected sub bass stuff.

Must be something to do with the AA wanting to sound like a relevant important almost essential emergency service.

Which is odd because their reports sound so random, almost hysterical at times such is the breakneck speed of delivery.

Of absolutely no use to a driver IMO.

If there was a format, done alphabetically for example, delivered clearly each time, it would make some sense, as it is its just self serving PR. Done poorly.

No I doubt the typical toxic masculinity boy racer type even listens to radio.

Possibly not, but I think it might be at least adjacent to the thinking, if "thinking" isn't to dignify the decision-making process too much. Isn't this roughly speaking why most satnavs are non-threatening female voices, for example?

Possibly not, but I think it might be at least adjacent to the thinking, if "thinking" isn't to dignify the decision-making process too much. Isn't this roughly speaking why most satnavs are non-threatening female voices, for example?

Is that why Alexa has a female tone?

Too OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ray D'Arcy saying "good afternoon on this Xday afternoon"

Is that why Alexa has a female tone?

Might be related. Almost certainly another area where the target market is seen as being majority male.
    Too OT.

Sooo... dragging it back to AA travel, it does seem to be more than the one presenter. There's several of them that sound as if their interview went "You sound like a lispy, breathy, eight-year old!" "Oh." "... which is just what we're looking for, you've got the job."

But admittedly not all. There's one of them that sounds vaguely Nordie/border, by whose pronunciation of "Dorset Street" I'm always struck.

batistuta9 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

batistuta9 wrote: »

More like "Goooooooood afternoon" and "How are Yoooooooooooooou"

There's one of them that sounds vaguely Nordie/border, by whose pronunciation of "Dorset Street" I'm always struck.

There is a chap who I used to hear in the morning with Marty on Lyric who sounded like that and also as if he was whispering the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

Fergal Darcy and his extremely irritating habit of continually harking back to his youth and continuously going on about Ireland in the 80s and 90s. He’s made a career out of it and he talks drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The way you can hear Matt Coopers heavy breathing during an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

johnire wrote: »
    Fergal Darcy and his extremely irritating habit of continually harking back to his youth and continuously going on about Ireland in the 80s and 90s. He’s made a career out of it and he talks drivel.

scarred for life it seems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

EPAndlee wrote: »
    The way you can hear Matt Coopers heavy breathing during an interview

Is that all he is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Michael Reade on LMFM ....eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh... ad infinitum ..eh

• Advertisement

There is a chap who I used to hear in the morning with Marty on Lyric who sounded like that and also as if he was whispering the report?

That AA guy doesn't sound unusual, except that he pronounces Dublin street names other than Dubs would (... no harm there, sez I), and he doesn't sound like an eight-year-old girl, like the other presenters. So he's strikingly odd man out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

That AA guy doesn't sound unusual, except that he pronounces Dublin street names other than Dubs would (... no harm there, sez I), and he doesn't sound like an eight-year-old girl, like the other presenters. So he's strikingly odd man out.

Is that Adrian Harmon-heard Marty say last week that he’s not with AA anymore-I used like their chats

honeybear wrote: »
    Is that Adrian Harmon-heard Marty say last week that he’s not with AA anymore-I used like their chats

I think that's the name, or at least it's tinkling a faint bell in my sleepy brain. Didn't know he'd gone, Drivetime seems to get a completely ad hoc mixture of them. To which I don't generally pay that much attention anyway, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Fake accent of Pat Courtney... drives me crazy.
    Also, radio presenters annoying habit of announcing song title and artist, when its obvious what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Fake accent of Pat Courtney... drives me crazy. Also, radio presenters annoying habit of announcing song title and artist, when its obvious what it is.

No can't agree with that. They should always say at beginning and afterwards names etc. People may not have heard the introduction .

honeybear wrote: »

Yes, he seemed like a nice chap though, but not particularly well suited to broadcasting or public speaking.

I cringe when Marty tries bit of the old bonhomie with the AA crew and they genuinely don't seem to understand any of his witticisms (or know anything at all music wise) due to the age gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Fake accent of Pat Courtney... drives me crazy.
    Also, radio presenters annoying habit of announcing song title and artist, when its obvious what it is.

Not fake....he really is a dope....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

Interviewers on current affairs show who wrap up the interview and don't tell you who they've just been speaking to and possibly why.... It doesn't take that long at all.

'That's Dr. Smarty O'Genius who'll be speaking about paint drying at Dublin's Paint drying Festival in DCU tonight at 8. more information on paintdrying dot com'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Anyone mention Matt Coopers pronounciation of "theatre" yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

smokingman wrote:
    Anyone mention Matt Coopers pronounciation of "theatre" yet?

Or 'three'.

Advertisement