Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

GTR63 wrote: »
    What did it say about Kaka ?

The article, which spawned from Nate Marquardt's admission that he used testosterone for medicinal purposes, questioned where the line should be drawn on performance enhancement techniques in sport. The Kaka reference came from the fact that he has had laser eye surgery, which is a form of performance enhancement that is considered acceptable.

2q9w2ys.jpg

The new edition of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

In this jam-packed issue, we go in-depth with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin about his career, and pro wrestling in 2011; look at TNA's Crimson, and consider why his push isn't clicking with crowds; explore Mark Henry's 15 years in WWE, and why his athletic background has stood him in good stead; FSM talks to Daniel Bryan about his twelve months in WWE; look back on how it was Smackdown that first brought people together after the tragedy of 9/11; how Dragon Gate is bucking the trend by prospering in Japan; FSM highlights the wrestlers who have entertained us the most down the years; and we celebrate the 50th birthday of Jim Cornette with some stories from his past.

All of this, plus our regular news, reviews, and columns from Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, Bill Apter, and RD Reynolds.

The cheapest way to receive FSM as a print magazine is by subscribing here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp However, if you prefer to pick us up on your travels, you can do so at any top newsagent. If they don't stock FSM, please ask them to reserve a copy for you each month.

Please enjoy reading, and feel free to leave any feedback in this thread. We are committed to continuing to produce the best pro wrestling magazine available, and would love to know which subjects you'd like FSM to cover in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭jeffk

As promised, I received the complimentary magazine form Brian. Below are some thoughts I have, I haven’t fully read the magazine, yet!

• Firstly I like the new look. The tiles of the reviews on the bottom of the cover are good, they are a quick way to see if a DVD you wanted to get is reviewed.
    • I`m very impressed early on and am seriously considering re-subscribing
    • I’m pleasantly surprised at how much indie wrestling is in it, it can be too easy to stick to the big two.
    • It’s great to see a piece on Akira Tozawa, not long after finishing his US tour.
    • Good to see a page on Irish wrestling (wrestling.ie), especially when most Irish promotions fail to promote shows.
    • The TV lounge is a good three pages of reading for those who missed or didn’t bother watching the shows.
    • The piece on the first ROH Sinclair TV tapings could have been much bigger and thrown in some pictures, but I suppose it’s all down to fitting it all into the allotted size of the magazine.
    • Good to see FSM have kept it as a proper magazine with plenty of colour and printed on good quality paper, compared to the last Powerslam I got, that was barely a step up from a newspaper in paper quality.
    • Personally I’m happy there isn’t that much MMA.
    • No DVD reviews, of PWG or Shoot interviews is a shame.
    • I can’t comment on magazines I haven’t read, but a piece on PWG BOLA (held in August) would be nice (assuming it’s not in a mag I haven’t read/seen)
    • The subscribe offer of getting two fee magazines for the UK only, could have easily stretched to Ireland
    So what are you waiting for, go out and buy it now :P

Heres an idea for the mag, wrestling on IPPV, some back story on it, is it the future, why is there quality issues etc

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. If anyone else would like to make suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I can tell you now that we're working on a piece on PWG, and are negotiating with them to get a steady supply of review DVDs out to our staff.

As for the layout, this is something that I've worked hard to make subtle changes to. Way too many magazines these days clutter everything in what they sell as a fashionable way - but in reality they are hiding their lack of content. As FSM editor I have added around an extra third of text content to the magazine, so I would like to think that there's plenty to keep you occupied for a week or two.

I'm as aware as anyone that quantity does not equal quality, but I hope you'll agree that we've got the latter. too. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yeah noticed the increase in text after deciding to read the mag in one sitting with the last magazine. It nearly killed me.

Just hope you are doing ok with advertisers in these times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How about you run a little competition here Brian for a free sub?

rovert wrote: »
    Yeah noticed the increase in text after deciding to read the mag in one sitting with the last magazine. It nearly killed me.

Just hope you are doing ok with advertisers in these times.
    Doing a final check on the day before FSM before it goes to print is my worst nightmare. Well, not quite, but remember that by this point I've read the issue top to bottom, front to back, and in every other conceivable manner. FSM is a great read, but I've never read a magazine of this size in one sitting!

Regarding advertisers. I greatly appreciate the likes of yourself letting others know that the magazine has turned the corner, because there's no better publicity than a like-minded person telling you about a good product. I believe that we have that, and I believe that we'll create new fans of FSM as long as the word gets out there. I'd love to hand a copy of FSM to every wrestling fan out there, especially lapsed readers and those who buy other publications, and let them make an informed choice.

gimmick wrote: »
    How about you run a little competition here Brian for a free sub?
    Good idea. I'll come up with something.

Issue 72 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

4hoxn6.jpg

In this issue, we have features on:
    - Sting, who gives possibly the most in-depth interview of his career, opening up on the Starrcade 1997 screwjob, how close he was to joining WWE earlier this year, his disastrous match with Jeff Hardy at Victory Road, and what he really thinks of the TNA creative team
    - Sheamus, as he experiences a new push back to the top of WWE
    - WWE's upcoming tour of Mexico, and how they have big plans for this developing market
    - WWE Diva Natalya, as she talks to FSM about the Hart family, and her current pact with Beth Phoenix
    - PAC, "The Man That Gravity Forgot", and how he has become one of the most spectacular and consistent wrestlers on the planet
    - "Gentleman" Chris Adams, who led a remarkable life until his death 10 years ago
    - The historians who are helping us discover more about the sport we love

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. We also have our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds offering up the benefit of their experience in the pro wrestling business.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp However, if you prefer to pick up FSM on your travels, WH Smith and Easons are the most consistent FSM stockists. For other outlets, please consider asking your newsagent to reserve you a copy each month.

We believe that since the turn of the year, FSM has evolved into the most detailed, varied, and thought-provoking pro wrestling magazine available anywhere. If you haven't sampled a recent issue, please consider doing so; if you have, please post here and let others know your honest opinions.

Enjoy the magazine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sounds good,will see if I can get it in Easons tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the Sting interview will be as good as Austin last month.

Be interested in the what side you guys take on Chris Adams too.

Hopefully the Sting interview will be as good as Austin last month.

Be interested in the what side you guys take on Chris Adams too.
    I think both long-time and more recent fans will enjoy the Sting interview. We cover the different periods in his career in a more thorough manner than I've seen in any other publication, and Sting himself offers honest replies, even when it comes to talking about the TNA creative team.

I know I'm taking your words a little too literally, but we don't really take any sides in the Adams article. I'd call it a celebration of his career, without being ignorant of his many frailties. We tracked down his famous brother, judo World champion Neil Adams, to get to know Chris a little better, so I'll think you'll find the article enlightening.

6 Days for a back issue to arrive. On that basis I’ll be re subscribing at the start of the New Year!

jeffk wrote: »
    6 Days for a back issue to arrive. On that basis I’ll be re subscribing at the start of the New Year!
    Really glad to hear it, Jeff. I hope you've had a chance to pick up Issue 72 (Sting cover).

Really glad to hear it, Jeff. I hope you've had a chance to pick up Issue 72 (Sting cover).

There were some delays Brian in getting the back issue sorted; I was using that as a measuring stick for arrival time.

I’ll be buying that issue this week, and the same for the next two. Then mid-December ill subscribe and start it fresh with the New Year.

From the quick look at issue 70, it’s more of the same things I enjoyed from the other issues. Some pieces I’m not that interested in, but then you will get some things you don’t like in all entertainment forms.

If you've had a look at Issue 72, please leave me some feedback here. Thanks!

Right issue 72 initial thoughts

• Nice to see a Chikara dvd review, but why night two only?
    • Good to see ROH gets two dvds reviewed again.
    • Will be interesting to read about Pac, the only time I seen him live was years ago in the IWW Zero G tournament in Balbriggan and he done nothing for me that night.
    • After watching a doc on Chris Adams, it will be interesting to read more about him!
    • It’s good and bad that the same formula is used for each issue, some people get what they want, but for others who aren’t that keen on certain pieces it can get repetitive.
    • Maybe the cover is a little too busy, keep the main piece (sting interview) as the main focus and move the DVD thumbnails down the side, then put also featuring pieces on down the bottom.

Sorry for the late reply, Jeff.

We had other review priorities that month, and Night Two of the CHIKARA tapings was the disc that the company opted to send to us. We hope to review more CHIKARA going forward.

With regard to the basic style being the same in every magazine, that's a standard of the industry; I believe that the news, TV reports, features, reviews, and columns provide a nice overview of everything that's happening in wrestling, from different perspectives. I'll admit to being a feature kinda guy, but a magazine filled with just features would provide no variety at all.

I hope you enjoyed the insight into the life of Chris Adams.

No worries, thanks Brian

Ah right, strange they would do that. But then for those who know CHIKARA, they make a name/living of doing strange things. Be nice to do a piece on different indie promotions for people who aren’t well informed on them.

Oh not them, I meant the guest writers! It’s a shame you can’t get a different one for each issue. I agree you have to have a basic format!

I haven’t read it yet :O , I have about 4-5 magazines almost at once. I do read bits here and there, like I do still read old ones from years ago. Also thanks for reminding me, I’ll have to read that tomorrow.

zx4enb.jpg

The new issue of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

In Issue 73, we have features on:
    - The career of Bobby Roode, and his rise to the top of TNA
    - An in-depth interview with Mickie James, covering her start in the business, making it to WWE, and settling down in TNA
    - Which WWE wrestlers should move to TNA, and vice versa?
    - How 20 years ago, Ric Flair made a huge impact on the WWF by jumping from World Championship Wrestling
    - How WWE is to blame for the fans' love-hate relationship with John Cena
    - FSM interviews Sheamus about his new babyface role in WWE
    - Why two decades after his death, it seems that there will never be another character like Dick The Bruiser
    - How catch wrestling went from the mines of Wigan to the grandest stage of MMA

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and reviews. We also have our distinguished columnists Bill Apter, Nick "Magnus" Aldis, Lance Storm, and RD Reynolds offering up the benefit of their experience in the pro wrestling business.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp . However, if you prefer to pick up FSM on your travels, WH Smith and Easons are the most consistent FSM stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking your newsagent to reserve you a copy each month.

We believe that since the turn of the year, FSM has evolved into the most detailed, varied, and thought-provoking pro wrestling magazine available anywhere. If you haven't sampled a recent issue, please consider doing so; if you have, please post here and let others know your honest opinions.

Enjoy the magazine!

• Advertisement

Sheamus on Undertaker being the one guy left who he hasnt wrestled:
    Taker that would be fantastic. It'd be two gingers knocking lumps out of each other; he tries to hide it, but he's a ginger.

F*cking DIED reading it.

That Shimmer roster photo is ridiculous no wonder Prazak finally broke and started refusing some of the women wrestlers who showed up.

Once a again a fun issue. Looks like I am subbing for the year on Monday.

Like I said a month ago I subscribed. My first issue came in the post today. Chuffed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

bought this month's mag instead of PowerSlam, will give it a read tomorrow. good times

Like I said a month ago I subscribed. My first issue came in the post today. Chuffed.
    Thank you very much for subscribing. It's also good to have eradicated any previous postal problems!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    bought this month's mag instead of PowerSlam, will give it a read tomorrow. good times
    I really hope you enjoy the change of pace. This issue is a little different with our WWE '12 flip cover, but there's plenty of great content to keep you going throughout the month. :)

Thanks Jeff for doing a bit of my work for me by showing off the cover. :)

In Issue 74, we have features on:
    - The Big Show at the peak of his powers in 2011
    - How the pragmatic Kevin Nash has always looked out for No.1
    - FSM interviews Bobby Roode about his career
    - A full rundown of the Dragon Gate UK shows, including some tremendous photography you won't want to miss
    - How Kevin Steen has become the man to watch in pro wrestling
    - FSM examines the wrestling business' relationship with Thanksgiving and Christmas
    - How UK MMA is suffering in the shadow of the UFC
    - The history of WWE videogames - including the WrestleFest arcade game, and WWF No Mercy on the N64

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp . However, if you prefer to pick up FSM on your travels, WH Smith and Easons are the most consistent FSM stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking your newsagent to reserve you a copy each month.

I hope you enjoy the magazine, and please let me know what you'd like to see in future issues.

No worries on the cover Brian, as you know I have yet to get the latest issue,but one thing I noticed:

On the back of issue 73 you have coming up in issue 74:

A piece on hulk Hogan in TNA after two years
    How the wrestling has married with the holiday season

Now again I haven’t issue 74 so can’t say for sure, but going on your run down they are not in the issue? I think this happened with another issue also; content was listed and never appeared.

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    On the back of issue 73 you have coming up in issue 74:

A piece on hulk Hogan in TNA after two years
    How the wrestling has married with the holiday season

Now again I haven’t issue 74 so can’t say for sure, but going on your run down they are not in the issue? I think this happened with another issue also; content was listed and never appeared.
    I'm going to abolish that Next Month page, because everything changes in the time that I'm preparing the next magazine for release. :) Simply put, I felt that the Bobby Roode article was more interesting this month, and that there was a better balance to the content by just not going with a Hogan article at all.

It's unfortunate when content is suggested and then it doesn't make the cut the following month. You'll have to trust me that the changes are for the better!

Advertisement