Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I'll contribute further to the Devitt love. Two utterly amazing matches with Marufuji, a really great one with Ibushi and another great one with Kenny Omega are the ones that comes to mind. Loads more though as a singles performer and as part of a tag team. The guys been on fire this year.

Can anyone give me some must see Dragon Gate matches that have not been in the last couple of years. Most of the stuff I have is from 2008 to present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

What Tanahashi matches are worth checking out? I haven't seen any matches of his yet but seeing him in pictures has already made him one of my favourites :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Complete nonsense, but quite funny this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Sorry to res a thread but I didnt see the sense in starting another.

Been watching some old stuff on youtube and really enjoyed it.

Do Noah or AJPW, NJPW have weekly shows? Or just supershows? How does it work over there? And more importantly how can I watch it?

And is there an english site that I could use to get up to speed? I only know the big names really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

And is there an english site that I could use to get up to speed? I only know the big names really

Et voila:

http://www.puroresuspirit.com/

• Advertisement

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=4572

He also has a 30% sale on atm. Can't go wrong really. Anyone recommend a good recent Japanese card?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ethan Swagger

flahavaj wrote: »
    I've often bemoaned the fact that not many people on here seem that interested in Japanese wrestling. All the time I hear complaints from people that they're tired of WWE, but they never seem to seek out an alternative. Looking at the feedback on the Fergal Devitt thread and the positive response to the matches that were posted over there makes me think that perhaps people aould be interested in looking at other stuff?

What I was thinking of doing was putting up maybe one match a week that I think people will enjoy. Then you can leave feedback and or criticuims of the matches or the style in general and we might get a bit of aul debate going.I'll try and start off with people that WWE fans wil already be familiar with and introduce the stars of Japanese wrestling from recent years as the weeks go by. If I even got one person interested in what I find an unbelievably rewarding genre of pro wrestling it would be a worthwhie project.

Of course it may equally be an EPIC FAIL of an idea, in which case, I won't bother my hole for too long.:pac:

I'll do up the first post in a bit. Would ye be interested or not in the meantime?

Delighted if you would! I honestly believe far more folks would take pro wrestling more seriously if they saw the skill, athleticism and energy of the japanese version. Big shout out to Fergal and Jordan over there btw - you is doing us proud boys!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Delighted if you would! I honestly believe far more folks would take pro wrestling more seriously if they saw the skill, athleticism and energy of the japanese version. Big shout out to Fergal and Jordan over there btw - you is doing us proud boys!

unfortunately Flah no longer posts here on boards but anyone is welcome to upload youtubes etc into this thread with great examples of Puroresu wrestling whenever they wish as there are posters here who would a) already appreciate it and b) perhaps get into a new genre of wrestling due to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

A CLIPPED version of one of the year's biggest matches Okada vs Tanahashi:

If want a serious shot of energy and happiness watch the match or just finishing sequence from 14 minute mark on. The crowd are staggeringly amazing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭JoeSnow

That's a nice video...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I was in the mood for some Ibushi last night so went to YouTube and this was one of the first results. I really enjoyed it despite a couple of slip ups at various points. A sick Michinoku Driver and an equally sick Brainbusta included.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqp6c1_05-kota-ibushi-vs-el-generico-ddt-05-04-12_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kobashi

Sorry to res a thread but I didnt see the sense in starting another.

Been watching some old stuff on youtube and really enjoyed it.

Do Noah or AJPW, NJPW have weekly shows? Or just supershows? How does it work over there? And more importantly how can I watch it?

I am puro fan and its the only pro-wrestling I watch. Gave up on WWE well over 15 years ago.

The TV shows in Japan are nothing like the WWE/TNA weekly TV shows which are full of that soap opera garbage.

The Japanese promotions have tours and results and reports are printed in the fight magazines. The TV they have is not prime time and is shown very @ midnight or even later. By the time some matches are shown on TV it could be 2 weeks after the results have been printed in the magazines.

The TV will recap matches from the tours etc and show press conferences and interviews.

New Japan do put up some of there matches from the tours on there youtube channel.

Great FREE download!

Big Van Vader vs. Shinya Hashimoto (4/24/89)
    Big Van Vader/Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Koji Kitao/Riki Choshu (4/27/90)
    Big Van Vader vs. Tatsumi Fujinami - IWGP Title (1/17/91)
    Big Van Vader vs. Antonio Inoki (1/4/96)

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=8770?osCsid=9b09d3aa976d79918df0769b59e6b7ec

Short but it goes from 0 to 60 like the flip of a switch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzFa2diySc

New Japan are offering their first worldwide Pay Per View for reals this time.

The bad news is that it airs 9am on a Monday our time and that it is $10 more than what US iPPVs charge. The cost of the show is $25.

The good news it is available on Video on Demand - it is archved to watch at any time. The card itself is tremendous:
    Match No.9
    [60 minutes One Round Match]
    IWGP Heavyweight Championship

(58th Champion)          (Challenger)
    HIROSHI TANAHASHI   vs   MINORU SUZUKI

(4th title match as champion)

Match No.8
    IWGP Inter Continental Championship

(Challenger)          (4th Champion)
    HIROOKI GOTO   vs   SHINSUKE NAKAMURA

(2nd title match as champion)

Match No.7
    Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship (Rights Acquisition Match)

(Challenger)          (Rights Holder)
    KARL ANDERSON   vs   KAZUCHIKA OKADA

Match No.6
    [30 minutes One Round Match]

WATARU INOUE  vs   KATSUYORI SHIBATA

TOUGI MAKABE       KAZUSHI SAKURABA

Match No.5

TETSUYA NAITO  vs   YUJIRO TAKAHASHI

Match No.4
    IWGP Tag Tournament

(60th Champion)          (Challenger)
    SATOSHI KOJIMA   vs   Davey Boy Smith Jr.

HIROYOSHI TENZAN      Lance Archer

(1st title match as champion)

Match No.3
    IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

(64th Champion)        (Challenger)
    KOUTA IBUSHI   vs  LOW-KI

(3rd title match as champion)

Match No.2
    IWGP Junior Tag Tournament

(Challenger)         (33rd Champion)
    Alex Shelley   vs   Alex Koslov

KUSHIDA        Rocky Romero

(2nd title match as champion)

Match No.1
    MANABU NAKANISHI (First Match after Return)

Strongman      TOMOHIRO ISHII

YUJI NAGATA  vs   TAKASHI IIZUKA

MANABU NAKANISHI     TOURU YANO

Devitt isn't on the show as to the best of my knowledge he will still be in Mexico.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972/buyticket/382964

Ibushi vs Low Ki is what I'm looking forward to.

NASH

October 8th, 2012
    Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. Manabu Nakanishi Return Match: Manabu Nakanishi, Yuji Nagata & Strong Man vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii
    2. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) © vs. The Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
    3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs. Low Ki
    4. IWGP Tag Team Title: TenKoji (Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan) © vs. Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.)
    5. Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi
    6. Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
    7. IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership in Tokyo Dome: Kazuchika Okada © vs. Karl Anderson
    8. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Hirooki Goto
    9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs. Minoru Suzuki

Full show on Youtube:

Likely to get taken down anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

What time is the Ippv on here.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    What time is the Ippv on here.

Usually somewhere around 8am.

• Advertisement

Link to buy here:
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972

Prince Devitt vs Low Ki is on this card a match I thought they were saving for their annual January 4th Toyko Dome show. Meltzer's run of the show.
    It is official that the 11/11 New Japan show from the Bodymaker Colosseum in Osaka, the company’s next PPV for Japan, will once again air at www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972 for $25. The lineup is, in order from start-to-finish, is The Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs. The Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & Kushida) for the IWGP jr. tag titles, Manabu Nakanishi & Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan & Negro Casas vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi & Jado, Yuji Nagata & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Minoru Suzuki & Taichi, The Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.) defending the IWGP tag team titles against former champions Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Low Ki defends the IWGP jr. title against Prince Devitt, Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Togi Makabe & Wataru Inoue, Kazuchika Okada puts up his Tokyo Dome IWGP title shot against Hirooki Goto, Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Karl Anderson for the IC title and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yujiro Takahashi for the IWGP heavyweight title. It looks on paper like an excellent show. Tanahashi vs. Takahashi is a completely different style main event than Tanahashi vs. Suzuki, but Tanahashi tears down the house at every big show. Low Ki vs. Devitt was fantastic earlier this year. They also announced that Kota Ibushi would be at the show, so he’ll likely challenge the winner for the next title shot. With the exception of the second match, which still should be decent, and the third match which just seems to be putting guys who aren’t figured into anything this month on the card, every match has a storyline and looks to be really good.

Hopefully will be awake for this *hick*

The video quality is amazing for an iPPV and available on demand until Thursday - ish.

Really enjoyed this. For a B show they booked things that made it important and several matches made you think the logical/obvious winner wasn't going to win. Great show New Japan always know what they are doing.

My top three matches
    1. Nakamura vs Anderson
    2. Low Ki vs Devitt
    3.Tanahashi vs Yujiro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Good to see this thread still alive. The OP is of course possibly the greatest man alive so no surprise there. :pac:

Finally leaked

1hr 20min mark for the Devitt match.

NJPW Presents WRESTLE KINGDOM 7 ~EVOLUTION~ in Tokyo Dome, 1/4/2013 [Fri] 17:00 @ Tokyo Dome in Tokyo, Japan

(0-1) Wataru Inoue, Captain New Japan & Tama Tonga vs. Jado, YOSHI-HASHI & Tomohiro Ishii
    (0-2) Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, KUSHIDA & BUSHI

(1) Special 6 Man Tag Match: Manabu Nakanishi, MVP & Strongman vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Yujiro Takahashi

(2) NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [1st Champion] Masato Tanaka vs. [Challenger] Shelton Benjamin

(3) IWGP Tag Championship Match: [61st Champions] "Killer Elite Squad" Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith, Jr. vs. [Challengers] "Sword & Guns" Hirooki Goto & "The Machine Gun" Karl Anderson
    ~ 2nd Defense.

(4) Special Singles Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki

(5) IWGP Jr. Heavy Championship Triple Threat Match: [67th Champion] Prince Devitt vs. Low Ki vs. Kota Ibushi
    ~ 1st Defense.

(6) Special Tag Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Keiji Mutoh & Daichi Hashimoto

(7) Special Singles Match: Togi Makabe vs. Katsuyori Shibata

(8) IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    ~ 4th Defense.

(9) Main Event ~ IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [58th Champion] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada
    ~ 6th Defense.

:D

In other news, the NOAH decline looks set to continue:
    There is a major shakeup in Pro Wrestling NOAH. We don't have a lot in the way of details right now but should have more as the night goes on.

The gist is that Kenta Kobashi was fired, apparently because his salary was so high and the company is in such financial distress. Right now the rumor is Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki and Yoshinobu Kanemaru and others may not sign their contracts for 2013 out of loyalty to Kobashi, who along with Mitsuharu Misawa, were the two people who really built the company.

Good chance they wont be around for much longer. Apparently they are on life support in terms of finances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Read that about Kobashi on twittah a few days ago, will they just head all to New Japan now?

Doubt it, none of them are really needed in New Japan. Probably no room for them in All Japan either so they will probably just be freelance for a while.

Would be something if they went to All Japan considering how NOAH was formed.

Looking forward to this show more than any other show in wrestling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Doubt it, none of them are really needed in New Japan. Probably no room for them in All Japan either so they will probably just be freelance for a while.

Would be something if they went to All Japan considering how NOAH was formed.
    They need to do Kobashi/Muta at the next Dome show.

• Advertisement

Kobashi announced his retirement today. Pretty much saving NOAH from losing a ton of guys and crippling the company.

Advertisement