Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musgrave Cork Chill Strike

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 knoaky

Show Time wrote: »
    It seems to be all over.
    Bunch of wasters anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Wrong on my part sorry.

It seems they are still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fishrman

Thread seems to be going all over the place! That may be to suit different peoples agendas. So lets bring a bit of clarity back to the debate?

Firstly, everyone is entitled to their position - nobody is saying you have to like or respect it.

So, calling the strikers lazy, greedy, troublemakers is, in my honest opinion, unhelpful. They are entitled to strike for something that they believe in. They should be allowed to pursue this in whatever manner is permitted.

Referring to non striking workers as traitors, scabs, judases isn't going to resolve the dispute either. People are fully entitled to attend their place of employment and do an honest days work. Nobody has to justify that to anyone.

Every company, including Musgraves, is fully entitled to protect and grow their business how the owners decide, once they adhere to the laws of the land and the recognised industrial relations mechanisms.

Lastly, I dont know what the outcome will be but people should start talking again. From what I have read, Musgraves seem to hold the stronger position by far. Then again they do own the ball, so that immediately brings a lot of privileges in deciding who to sign on to their team. Or who to leave out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 cz17hmr

if we don't know the details of why they are on strike then it is hard to make an informed comment. however if they are willing to stay out and run the risk of not being able to pay bills etc that is up to them.

if they are hiring could a guy drop in his cv the dole is a pain in the hole i would rather be working even if only for a couple of months.

COULD ANY ONE TELL ME WHY ARE THEY ON STRIKE I COULD BE WRONG IN SAYING THIS BUT I COULD NOT GET A DEFINITIVE REASON FROM WHAT I HEARD ON THE RADIO OR WHAT WAS IN THE NEWSPAPERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 midmal30

cz17hmr wrote: »
    if we don't know the details of why they are on strike then it is hard to make an informed comment. however if they are willing to stay out and run the risk of not being able to pay bills etc that is up to them.

if they are hiring could a guy drop in his cv the dole is a pain in the hole i would rather be working even if only for a couple of months.

COULD ANY ONE TELL ME WHY ARE THEY ON STRIKE I COULD BE WRONG IN SAYING THIS BUT I COULD NOT GET A DEFINITIVE REASON FROM WHAT I HEARD ON THE RADIO OR WHAT WAS IN THE NEWSPAPERS
    I work in the chill as a HDTM from today the night pickets are over they are only doing day pickets now just goes to show making no impact on the place.Belive me they dont even know why they are out there ask any of them and you get a different ansewer its like the old saying sheep will follow sheep one walked out they all followed all i know the chill union shafted us HTDM and STUDENTS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Why are they on strike well first off

Contract.. Musgrave wants to bring in zero hours meaning you could get 37 hours one week and the next 6 hours

Night shift.. They want it inline with Dublin at the moment their doing 4 night shifts a week no time with the kids etc if you have a family

Handheld.. They have no problem with the hand held devices only that it will make them pick slower and they will lose their picking rate or 80% an hour in turn lose pay.

This is why their out on strike managers in musgraves are feeding their office staff sh!t so in turn they won't take any feelings for the people on strike now the office staff workers are now in the warehouse covering for the people out I. Strike..

Don't take any notice of people stating their only out on strike for money this is not true under te national pay agreement musgrave has yet to give the cork dept it's 6% it was due 3 years ago and guess what Dublin got their full 6% so did galway cash & carry but musgrave closed it down and then gave all the directors a big fat bonus of just under a half million each

Cork24 wrote: »

Contract.. Musgrave wants to bring in zero hours meaning you could get 37 hours one week and the next 6 hours

Night shift.. They want it inline with Dublin at the moment their doing 4 night shifts a week no time with the kids etc if you have a family

Handheld.. They have no problem with the hand held devices only that it will make them pick slower and they will lose their picking rate or 80% an hour in turn lose pay.

This is why their out on strike managers in musgraves are feeding their office staff sh!t so in turn they won't take any feelings for the people on strike now the office staff workers are now in the warehouse covering for the people out I. Strike..

Don't take any notice of people stating their only out on strike for money this is not true under te national pay agreement musgrave has yet to give the cork dept it's 6% it was due 3 years ago and guess what Dublin got their full 6% so did galway cash & carry but musgrave closed it down and then gave all the directors a big fat bonus of just under a half million each
    Well now Mr Cork 24 you have being well and truly informed about the whole situation.Iwork in the chill as a HDTM which is a hourly paid worker and have being for the past couple of years.This has being boiling for the last 10 years since the 35 night shift lads where part time when they got full time in 2002 in there contract the company put in that they could work one week off nights every four weeks this came know as the one in four but the company has not hounered this for the past 10 years.The problems the day shift lads have about 100 of them in total is the deal that Dublin got 19 sundays and no nights but the Dublin lads are on less money cause they have no nights.The company offered the day lads 21 sundays and 3 weeks off nights with no pay cut they are working 6 weeks off nights as it is and half off them dont work any nights cause they swap them with other people.Remember they are on 44,800 a year with a bonus off 2000 on top of that which brings there money up to 46,800 gross a year i am a hourly paid worker and have to brake my bollock to get between 35,000 and 40,000 they are on salary and get paid if they work or not.The voice pick is not a handheld device but a headset like earphones or what they wear at MCdonalds drive through.They get a roaster for a year the day one goes from APRIL TO APRIL and the night one from MAY TO MAY.The day lads work about 185 to 190 days a year and the night lads work 153 nights not bad money for all this

not bad money, the chill kick them selfs in the a** as the warehouse guys told you lot that if they going to bring in this stuff inside the warehouse their going to do the same to you guys but you didnt support the warehouse, so now the warehouse, Drivers, Office Staff are not supporting the chill.

I worked in the chill for 2 years, i hated the place, the full time lads treated us like Sh*t (Students) we would go over our breakfast by over 3 mins they would give out sh*t to the line managers.. never mind but you could be right at the back of the Chill.. had to walk all the way over the from the Chill into the warehouse pass the warehouse lads and into the canteen eat your breakfast and walk all the way back within 15mins..

they would stab you in the back as soon as you turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

Like I said before divide and conquer.
    To all those who passed an official picket, well you have to look at yourselves in the mirror every morning.
    I know little of the ins and outs of the strike, but it showed up how little the working man cares for his fellow working men.
    I feel ashamed to be honest.

The only losers here long term are workers all over Ireland, I am sure IBEC are rubbing there hands with glee that union members crossed an Offiial Picket.

I will not post on this topic again, but it will be a cold day in hell before I support any shop that Musgraves supplies.

Again I am ashamed to be from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 valmascal

I work in dublin chill we did not get full 6% we got 5% over three years this was after we went to the labour court on PAY only and got shafted when they came back with a ruling saying we HAD to do voice picking and work an extra 6 sundays.We have to do this now because the labour court ruling is binding on us as it was under section 20.There is a PERMENANT night shift in dublin.if we had a choice we would not be doing voice.To those office workers and people in the cork chill who have broken the strike. who will you turn to for support when musgraves want to change your terms and conditions?By NOT supporting this strike you have seriously weakened your job security because when musgraves finish with these strikers they will be coming after you.Its a race to the bottom for wages and conditions the company have you by the balls now and you don't even know it.And when you they come looking for change and you say"but i worked through the strike boss" they will tell you" So what"When will working people ever realise that its only by sticking together that we can be strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Divide and conquer. The Ambient and Office staff have shafted the Chill workers on strike. This could come back to haunt them in future if they ever needed support.

regress wrote: »
    Divide and conquer. The Ambient and Office staff have shafted the Chill workers on strike. This could come back to haunt them in future if they ever needed support.
    I work in the chill as HDTM it is in my contract to accept all new devices that the chill want to bring in if i like it or not i still have to go with it thats what the full timers shafted us with.They tought by us HDTM AND STUNDENTS doing it they wont have to.Another thing is we are hourly paid like the student work and have different contracts to the full time people we have no choice but to come in to work or we will be replaced and that can happen very easy in this day and age.The office staff are not in a union most off them are on six month contracts but a good few are there long term no union no vote have to come to work.The AMBIENT work force have accepted the deal they took on the voice pick system they are using it since the start of the year in return they got no saturday night work or sunday day shift or night plus they got a lead in payment of 1000 euro plus pay rise over 3 years and still can make about 44,000 to 46,000 a year without weekend work.The ambient drivers would not touch the strike why should they some off them are on 80,000 plus a year for driving a truck the chill drivers the same they make about 60,000 plus a year both driver union accepted there terms and conditions got a 5% pay rise for using a hand held device to scan combies into and of a store.thats why they have no backing all terms and conditions accepted by all other parts of musgraves these guys better wake up and do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bruce_Wayne

Its about time these spoiled little brats get back to work!

All they've manage to achieve is frustrate the un-employed population of Cork City & County..... These people are in VERY privileged positions and clearly dont realise it.

midmal30 wrote: »
    I work in the chill as HDTM it is in my contract to accept all new devices that the chill want to bring in if i like it or not i still have to go with it thats what the full timers shafted us with.They tought by us HDTM AND STUNDENTS doing it they wont have to.Another thing is we are hourly paid like the student work and have different contracts to the full time people we have no choice but to come in to work or we will be replaced and that can happen very easy in this day and age.The office staff are not in a union most off them are on six month contracts but a good few are there long term no union no vote have to come to work.The AMBIENT work force have accepted the deal they took on the voice pick system they are using it since the start of the year in return they got no saturday night work or sunday day shift or night plus they got a lead in payment of 1000 euro plus pay rise over 3 years and still can make about 44,000 to 46,000 a year without weekend work.The ambient drivers would not touch the strike why should they some off them are on 80,000 plus a year for driving a truck the chill drivers the same they make about 60,000 plus a year both driver union accepted there terms and conditions got a 5% pay rise for using a hand held device to scan combies into and of a store.thats why they have no backing all terms and conditions accepted by all other parts of musgraves these guys better wake up and do the same

How many times are you going to say i work in the chill as a HDTM ?? as once is enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Korean

mcko wrote: »
    Like I said before divide and conquer.
    To all those who passed an official picket, well you have to look at yourselves in the mirror every morning.
    I know little of the ins and outs of the strike, but it showed up how little the working man cares for his fellow working men.
    I feel ashamed to be honest.

The only losers here long term are workers all over Ireland, I am sure IBEC are rubbing there hands with glee that union members crossed an Offiial Picket.

I will not post on this topic again, but it will be a cold day in hell before I support any shop that Musgraves supplies.

Again I am ashamed to be from Cork.
    Typical of the core issue here.... You know little of the ins and outs, yet blindly support the 'working man'. And despite not knowing the ins and outs, you will probably shop in Tesco, lidl, aldi or some other foreign company.

Yeah - you make sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

regress wrote: »
    It seems the Chill workers have shafted themselves.

Management should look sack all the workers still out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 40plus

I have seen how low these guys are willing to go. I came across a facebook page called Cork Chill strike Supporters. Some supporters these guys are. On day 11 they were gutted the drivers didn't back them and today backtracked a bit saying Musgraves is a huge site and everyone works in different sections and its easy to divide them into smaller groups..bla bla bla..but what stood out to me was they made a comment saying, and I quote- "this dispute is not about the 5% that has been put into the media the best suggestion yet is that the 5% which we were supposed to get 4 years ago is something we never had so you never miss and so it should be donated to the local school to help them keep onto their SNA teachers." I hope the are not trying to be smart because children with special needs is no laughing matter or neither should they be used as a bargaining tool in their selfish campaign. I wouldn't stand with these guys if my life depended on it after reading that. And they wonder why they dont have any support..huh.

40plus wrote: »
    I have seen how low these guys are willing to go. I came across a facebook page called Cork Chill strike Supporters. Some supporters these guys are. On day 11 they were gutted the drivers didn't back them and today backtracked a bit saying Musgraves is a huge site and everyone works in different sections and its easy to divide them into smaller groups..bla bla bla..but what stood out to me was they made a comment saying, and I quote- "this dispute is not about the 5% that has been put into the media the best suggestion yet is that the 5% which we were supposed to get 4 years ago is something we never had so you never miss and so it should be donated to the local school to help them keep onto their SNA teachers." I hope the are not trying to be smart because children with special needs is no laughing matter or neither should they be used as a bargaining tool in their selfish campaign. I wouldn't stand with these guys if my life depended on it after reading that. And they wonder why they dont have any support..huh.
    I do wonder sometimes myself what the strike is all about as you say in the piece its not about the 5% you listen to the radio they say its not about voice i work there and what i taught it was about is not.Drive up to the three gates and ask i guarante you will get a different ansewer at each gate cause each one i asked before the strike said it is about this its about that could not get a straight ansewer what the strike was all about .Some saying they want Dublin deal others saying we want the one in four.Some saying they dont want the 5% they would make you laugh the way they are carrying on

How many times are you going to say i work in the chill as a HDTM ?? as once is enough
    I want people to know i am talking about.Let them know the facts not coming on here giving false information.But you are right the full time staff treat us HDTM AND STUDENTS like **** on there shoes i hope when this strike is over management will tackle these guys and we get more respect alround

midmal30 wrote: »
    I want people to know i am talking about.Let them know the facts not coming on here giving false information.But you are right the full time staff treat us HDTM AND STUDENTS like **** on there shoes i hope when this strike is over management will tackle these guys and we get more respect alround

I know my facts im not giving false information,

Since i worked their before i still know a lads that work their in both the Chill and the Warehouse..

and its not very nice on the full time staff to tell one Worker that their going to break his legs is it now ? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Well it's over, and they had to accept original offer..... Quote from blocker on PROC forum "strike is over.they just voted to go back and accept the original lrc agreement,three weeks marching in the rain without wages for nothing"

Enjoy the bank holiday lads 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Btownbar

Well the strike is over, workers back next week having accepted the labour relations rec which is a win for company.. I'm new to boards so this is my first post but would have a fair idea of back round of the dispute. It's quite clear the strikers did not put properly think this out before putting this into this action. in these difficult times job is king. Over 400000 have no job so if you push the nuclear button you need to have the high moral ground. Chill is a hard job days and nights 12 hour shifts so to those working their it's no cake walk. However the rate of pay for that kind of job by musgrave is on the high end of the scale. The jobs in the chill are replaceable with very little training so first mistake by the strikers to believe they were not replaceable was an error, the temp workers most of who were out of work came in and were trained quickley. The fatal error was not to canvass the fellow union members before going out. Ie the drivers and ambient , the go slow to piss off the drivers was crazy stuff. Expecting the ambient and drivers to back them after the nuclear option was hit was unrealistic.It's quite clear the strikers expected the strike to be over quite quickly their idea that no stores would get orders If they were our striking was misplaced , once the first weekend was clear the game was up and the hard work the strikers put in, under difficult weather was null and void. Serious questions need to be asked of those who pushed ahead with the strike. The workers are back next week, the company have won they can push through improvements and the strike has probably opened a can of worms sour feeling will be there . To finish up it came down to when all is said and done their was a pay increase on the table for a job which 300000 people struggling in this country would have done for less , and that is why at the end of the day the strikers failed. It was bad judgement, naive and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭shoegirl

deano30 wrote: »
    i am workin in cork ambient 4 10 years now.we had the same problem with the company and very nearly went on strike 2.the guys in the chill are being treated like nobodys.there is a lot more 2 this strike than people think.the company hired agency workers and are paying them half of what they are paying the strikers who helped this company through out the years to make it where it is today and the management,all they can say is leave them rot out there,were getting the work done at a far cheaper price.if we as unions and people dont stand up to these bullies god help the next generation of workers.to the strikers,well done lads,stand up 4what you belive in and to the readers,this strike is not about money,voice picking or hours its about a lot of other issues 2 that im not so sure about myself.

Not really sure what the actual conditions are, but Musgrave is a funny place. Did some work for through a supplier and found it be a very strange working environment, some offices and depts are lovely and people are well looked after but they don't seem to have a strong hr culture that prevents a bad manager from going rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

they prob dont even dare to open their mouths now

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

News from Musgrave in Fonthill.They do hire new slaves on new conditions.9.75 P/H + BONUS.30-40 Hours a week.So you can end up with 290-320 in your pocket after the tax!

gral6 wrote: »
    News from Musgrave in Fonthill.They do hire new slaves on new conditions.9.75 P/H + BONUS.30-40 Hours a week.So you can end up with 290-320 in your pocket after the tax!

Their paying their cork cash & carry workers the same their just coming out with 320 not even... They now have the part timers on 3 pm till 12am for the next two to three weeks with out any extra cash... So I have heared

Musgrave is not a good company to work for never have their just greedy fu..ks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

Hi Guys,

Just wondering does anyone know what hours the truck drivers in musgrave in kerry work and what they get paid an hour

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement