Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol v Diesel

• 13-06-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Just wondering peoples thoughts, obviously the cheaper road tax for diesels on the new emissions scheme is a bonus for cheaper tax, but in general, how many miles per year warrant the purchase of a diesel car?

I'm currently doing around 12k per year on 2L petrol (road tax ~700).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Just wondering peoples thoughts, obviously the cheaper road tax for diesels on the new emissions scheme is a bonus for cheaper tax, but in general, how many miles per year warrant the purchase of a diesel car?

I'm currently doing around 12k per year on 2L petrol (road tax ~700).

12k miles or kilometers? Neither really justify a diesel as the purchase price is generally higher. What's your budget and what kind of car are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Pre-2008 as a general rule diesel would pay for the higher initial purchase cost after 100k miles.

Since the new CO2 based system came in in 2008 I don't think it's possible to generalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Confab wrote: »
    12k miles or kilometers? Neither really justify a diesel as the purchase price is generally higher. What's your budget and what kind of car are you looking for?

12,000 miles. Budget around 15k, like the Accord 2.2 CDTI. The new 09 shape is fantastic looking, but a 08 on the new emissions scheme would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I made this site to help answer this question from a pure fuel running cost perspective (ie not tax or initial cost etc):
    http://fuel.netcessible.com/

Its not cleaned up and pretty yet but the calculator should be sound.
    Choose either L/100km Euro (metric mileage and Euro Cents) or UK MPG (and put in the number values as if they were Euro cents ignoring the £ sign).
    US MPG obviously not applicable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I made this site to help answer this question from a pure fuel running cost perspective (ie not tax or initial cost etc):
    http://fuel.netcessible.com/

Its not cleaned up and pretty yet but the calculator should be sound.
    Choose either L/100km Euro (metric mileage and Euro Cents) or UK MPG (and put in the number values as if they were Euro cents ignoring the £ sign).
    US MPG obviously not applicable here.

Great site, nice to see all the details. Is there a way you can work in the road tax as well? If you don't mind I'd like to link to that site for a future article?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Bodhan wrote: »
    Great site, nice to see all the details. Is there a way you can work in the road tax as well? If you don't mind I'd like to link to that site for a future article?
    I could add in further calculations for Road tax, but Im unsure on how to approch it.
    It could make it look very complicated, consider 10 tax bands before 2008 and 7 afterwards, on both cars you want to compare, plus all the fuel calculations.
    I guess I could add a column where the user inserts Tax (annual) but leave it default at 0 for all, therefore those that dont understand it wont be affected by rogue calculations.

You can indeed link to it, though I really need to get it looking right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Great site, give a clear understanding of the advantages and disadvantages. Very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

God be with the days when we changed our cars simply because we had a desire to own something new(er):pac:

Modern life unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I guess I could add a column where the user inserts Tax (annual) but leave it default at 0 for all, therefore those that dont understand it wont be affected by rogue calculations.

I'd go with that. Nice little app :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement