Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti RTE, anti Irish

Options
  • 26-11-2007 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi All,

I stumbled across the TV forum today and dived in for a read. I really wish that I didn't. It seems that every thread quickly degenerates into an anti-RTE (and in a lot of cases, anti-Irish) rant, that reeks of a sheep mentality. I would wager that most of the people who claim that the Cassidy's is rubbish, have never actually seen it, and it seems to have taken on the role as Poster Boy of bad Irish comedy. Was it really that bad? I certainly don't know as I've never seen it.

So, most threads are becoming watered down versions of the ones that proceeded them and are offering little in terms of constructive Television criticism. And instead they're gaining in offensiveness.

Pat Kenny and the Late Late have never pretended to be anything then what they are. It's not 'random' like South Park. It's not 'wacky' like J Ross. But it's not supposed to be. It's a magazine programme, that regularly tackles the big issues and gives a forum for those who wish to discuss. It punctuates this with appearances by noteworthy people and light entertainment pieces, usually from some pop star. And it does all off this with flying colours. Why is there thousands of posts devoted to Pat 'Plank' Kenny when the very people who are offering this criticism are the very ones who would never watch it anyway? Maybe because it's boards.ie fashion.

There are bad shows on RTE, but there are bad shows on BBC. Per capita, and in terms of budget, I don't expect RTE to rock my world but they constantly box above their weight, and shows like Hidden history lately blow any BBC documentary out of the water. Soupy Norman was the funniest thing on these islands this year. News, Prime time, and Sports coverage is way above the norm for a terrestrial station. The Clinic is as professional and well written a drama as any ITV one of late. The Panel is vastly superior to Mock the Week.

I think you guys gotta step back and look at the widescreen here. To call something 'usual Irish crap' is as lazy a comment as I can think of, but it does beg the question? Why don't you guys do something about it?

Seth McFarlane made his show cos he was not happy with comedy, and didn't sit around and spout the same rubbish over and over on boards.ie. So why don't you..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, but he does sit around and spout the rame rubbish week and week on fox, so maybe we're not that different after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mock the Week wins cos its 30 mins of gags, not 60 mins of "funny" chat.

As for The Cassidys I saw one once, never again.

Mike.

ps your sig kinda undermines your argument, edit - now I get it you work for RTE don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Punchbowl wrote: »
    There are bad shows on RTE, but there are bad shows on BBC. Per capita, and in terms of budget, I don't expect RTE to rock my world but they constantly box above their weight, and shows like Hidden history lately blow any BBC documentary out of the water. Soupy Norman was the funniest thing on these islands this year. News, Prime time, and Sports coverage is way above the norm for a terrestrial station. The Clinic is as professional and well written a drama as any ITV one of late

RTE does have it's hits, which frustrates me because I know the talent is there - we end up watching ****e like the cassidys (which I did watch, more than once, as my mate was in it) because of bad decisions, not a lack of talent.
    . The Panel is vastly superior to Mock the Week.

oh good god no. No it isn't. no no no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

mike65 wrote: »
    Mock the Week wins cos its 30 mins of gags, not 60 mins of "funny" chat.

As for The Cassidys I saw one once, never again.

Mike.

ps your sig kinda undermines your argument, edit - now I get it you work for RTE don't you?

No, but hopefully after this!!

Seriously, I really hate TV3 though. Can't we just unload on them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tv3 isn't the national broadcaster though, is it?

tv3 is ****e, but I don't pay for it and I don't watch it. Rte is often ****e, and I would pay for it if I had a tv to pay a license for, even though I wouldn't be watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's just nonsense. I think it would be a worse reflection on Irish people if we didn't criticise RTE, because it means we're willing to put with this guff.

RTE do somethings very well (eg soccer coverage), but on balance, given their budget and advertising revenue and dominant position, any objective assessment would say that their scripted dramas and comedies are poor. One comptent show like the Clinic doesn't save all the other mediocrities. And their comedies... it's just a litany of disasters, of bad shows filmed and great shows (ie Father Ted) ignored.

Take a trawl through the boards and you'll find a lot of criticism of RTE. At least 50% of it legitimate, on everything from bad scheduling, to dubious drugs documentaries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

odyssey06 wrote: »
    and great shows (ie Father Ted) ignored.
    Father Ted wasn't ignored by RTE.

Punchbowl wrote:
    I would wager that most of the people who claim that the Cassidy's is rubbish, have never actually seen it, and it seems to have taken on the role as Poster Boy of bad Irish comedy. Was it really that bad? I certainly don't know as I've never seen it.
    How do you know that whether everybody is right in their criticisms if you've never seen the show yourself?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Father Ted wasn't ignored by RTE.

How do you know that whether everybody is right in their criticisms if you've never seen the show yourself?

I was using it as an example of the power of hype, or in this case, anti-hype, to generate opinion. For a show that was barely on, a lot of people seem to have seen it. A bit like Bowie in the Baggot...

As for the comedy claims above, I agree and disagree. Paths to Freedom, Apres Match, The End, Couched, Soup Norman Fergus Wedding, Naked Camera, Anonymous are all of a very good standard. I certainly don't balme RTE for not making Father Ted or Black Books, it's not their fault CH4 got in there first.

The blanket 'RTE is ****e' reaction that we get is just way too lazy a comment to make. Back it up, remember that what's good for the Goose, is also sometimes good for the Gander and then it becomes a valid critisicsm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I certainly don't balme RTE for not making Father Ted or Black Books, it's not their fault CH4 got in there first.
    RTE were never given the choice to make either of those shows so it's a moot point anyway.

The blanket 'RTE is ****e' reaction that we get is just way too lazy a comment to make. Back it up, remember that what's good for the Goose, is also sometimes good for the Gander and then it becomes a valid critisicsm
    Personally I would never criticise (or praise) a show unless I had seen it. I would imagine that most people would be the same. Anybody that does criticise a show that they haven't seen is a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

Yes i do think RTE get slagged on these boards too much.
    I think in general RTE is very good-and value for money,whats 160 euro a year? not much really when you consider all the great hours of entertainment we get from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

lucyburn wrote: »
    Yes i do think RTE get slagged on these boards too much.
    I think in general RTE is very good-and value for money,whats 160 euro a year? not much really when you consider all the great hours of entertainment we get from it.

Maybe the people who peruse boards.ie are in a different demographic. Some of the great shows are on at bizarre times - Boston Legal is just brilliant and is on at 12:30am. Which suits me actually but that's not the point.

However the numbers seem to indicate 90% of people just watch Corrie and Fair City and that's all they want to watch. Fair enough I suppose. Could be worse, could be TV3 and yet another "Celebrity" semi-reality thing.

PS: What's with RTE cutting films short. They just say "THE END". I was watching "13 Ghosts" the other week and suddenly "The End" came up on the screen. Did the film even get to the end? I don't believe the MPAA allows this and it is possible that RTE are breaking their licencing contracts by doing this. I wonder can I rat on them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Seth McFarlane made his show cos he was not happy with comedy, and didn't sit around and spout the same rubbish over and over on boards.ie. So why don't you..

I'd prefer that people just vent their disgust here and left it at that if the alternative is thousands of shows with the quality & intelligence of Family Guy suddenly popping up all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Personally rarely watch RTE, most of the shows don't appeal to me. As for Late Late Show, Pat Kenny is just not a chat show host imo. He is however excellent on the radio. Soccer coverage is ok. Horse racing coverage is excellent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

I would agree to an extent that the forum topics constantly fall into the trap of "typical RTÉ crap" and I certainly don't think it's a fair argument. I do however understand peoples frustrations with the organisation, especially for younger demographics. I know scores of people who certainly don't feel represented by RTÉ because the majority of their programmes are made with older audiences in mind.

Fair City, is the worst piece of television I have ever had the misfortune to watch. Visually it boarders on upsetting, one memorable scene I saw in the past 12 months was set in a hospital ward, and was lit with what looked like two lights... It boarded on offensive to anyone who might even hold a passing interest in television.

Then there's the talent pool. While there does seem to have been an effort in Young Peoples in the last few years to look outside of the D4 postcode for new talent, the station is still shockingly lacking in new faces. Who on earth would sanction the likes of Derek Mooney and Keith Duffy to present You're A Star? A show based on international formats where the hosts are cool, talented and not naff, wooden or like the current host cheesey.

With regards your comments on the Late Late you say it's a magazine show. It isn't. It's a live chat show and there's a big difference because by nature they live or die by their host. Unfortunately the Late Late was the victim of politics and unimaginative casting when Pat was made host. While there is no arguing he is a great radio journalist, he has never looked comfortable on television and this forum and others are littered with numerous scenes where he was unable to handle a guest or situation. If the host cannot handle any situation his live chat show throws up at him, then they are simply the worng person for that show. Pat strikes me as someone who is doing the job for the sake of it, and not someone doing the job for the love of it.

Unfortunately I think your statement about Seth McFarlane is wasted when talking in terms of RTÉ or Irish Television in general. From what I've heard, comissioners in RTÉ receive a bonus based on ratings performance, meaning that most are of the attitude "if it ain't broke..." Those who want to shake things up are usually never in their department long enough to be given the chance or are simply vetoed by micromanagement. And then there is money, or the lack of it. There is simply very little money floating around in Irish TV to allow anyone to try anything new. Too many times, great concepts have been ruined by poor sets, or low production values and end up looking "irish".

I do think there is some good in RTÉ. Their acquisitions department have usually got their finger on the pulse, it's the one area that seems ready to acknowledge that RTÉ does have competition and often schedules US hits a week or two before the UK. That said, its often stuck with slots that are simply unappealing to mass viewers.

I also get a kick out of their filler shows that they are forced to make. Hands On for the deaf is surprisingly interesting as is Eco Eye on a Sunday morning. When they can be bothered to putting the money into it, they've shown some superb docs. Haughey and indeed Gaybo were both visually stunning as was the recent Father Cleary film.

In the end of the day, you'll never please everyone. Especially when people feel the licence fee is an excuse to nail RTÉ to the cross. You do have to listen to those people though, 'Pat the plank' didn't take off for no reason you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Anti-RTE and anti-Irish are not the same thing, unless your view of Ireland is exclusively of aran jumpers, uillean pipes and the church.

RTE is a state-funded national broadcaster, and as such has a responsibility to provide programming across all age-groups. My problem is not with Pat Kenny and the Late, Late - I recognise it's not aimed at me, and I also recognise there's a silent majority that tune in every week and love it (though I'd also assume that the majorityof fans has dwindled since the days of Gaybo).

My problem is that RTE are the most complacent, head-in-the-sands broadcaster on my television, especially when it comes to programming aimed at 18-35 year old male. They'll either buy in programmes from the States and the UK that are available to most people on the island just a few channels away, or they pump out the most derivitative, bland, stale-ten-years-ago rubbish.

Programmes like The Office and Peep Show (and Father Ted, for that matter) prove that you don't need a ginormous budget, lavish sets, a studio audience or big name stars to make a successful comedy. You just need someone to choose an innovative idea over another candid-camera rip off.

On top of that, RTE habitually spoil films and TV shows in their ad-spots for them, all too frequently show the wrong programme at the wrong time, drop half way through, and other foul-ups that can't be explained away by budgetary concerns, but rather by incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I would wager that most of the people who claim that the Cassidy's is rubbish, have never actually seen it, and it seems to have taken on the role as Poster Boy of bad Irish comedy. Was it really that bad? I certainly don't know as I've never seen it.

I watched 2 and a half episodes of it which was probably more than anyone in Ireland and I thought it was rubbish. The most completely unfunny comedy I've ever seen. I know it's difficult to believe anything was that bad it was.
    So, most threads are becoming watered down versions of the ones that proceeded them and are offering little in terms of constructive Television criticism. And instead they're gaining in offensiveness.

I would like to think that I and most posters try to offer a balanced perspective. Sure a lot of people are annoyed when they make an original post but most people here watch a lot of TV (it is the TV forum) so are well versed in RTÉ's failures (and successes - this is the only forum where you will see Hands On discussed)
    Pat Kenny and the Late Late have never pretended to be anything then what they are. It's not 'random' like South Park. It's not 'wacky' like J Ross. But it's not supposed to be. It's a magazine programme, that regularly tackles the big issues and gives a forum for those who wish to discuss. It punctuates this with appearances by noteworthy people and light entertainment pieces, usually from some pop star. And it does all off this with flying colours. Why is there thousands of posts devoted to Pat 'Plank' Kenny when the very people who are offering this criticism are the very ones who would never watch it anyway? Maybe because it's boards.ie fashion.

I think that some of the abuse Pat gets is over the top. However he is pretty poor at interviewing any celebrity whose "cool factor" is above a zero. See his interview with Russell Brand last week as an example. He is very good at the serious issues but if he's only good at serious issues then he shouldn't be presenting the LLS (the opposite is also true if your only good at fluffy interviews then you shouldn't do it)

There are bad shows on RTE, but there are bad shows on BBC. Per capita, and in terms of budget, I don't expect RTE to rock my world but they constantly box above their weight, and shows like Hidden history lately blow any BBC documentary out of the water. Soupy Norman was the funniest thing on these islands this year. News, Prime time, and Sports coverage is way above the norm for a terrestrial station. The Clinic is as professional and well written a drama as any ITV one of late. The Panel is vastly superior to Mock the Week.

I agree that RTÉ doesn't have the budget to make Lost or whatever but it has the ability to do much better. Current affairs good, sport mainly good, documentaries above average. But thats probably only half the RTÉ 1 schedules and less than a quarter of RTÉ 2. You have to admit that drama (including soaps), comedy, chat shows are all performing poorly enough with the kids department and lifestyle programmes both going downhill.

I think you guys gotta step back and look at the widescreen here. To call something 'usual Irish crap' is as lazy a comment as I can think of, but it does beg the question? Why don't you guys do something about it?

I do look at big picture. I see some talent and ability in RTÉ. I don't see it in TV3. I don't see vision, bravery and getting the most from the budget in RTÉ, I do see it in TG4. What annoys me about RTÉ is that it could be a lot better with relatively small changes. RTÉ 2 is supposed to be the "young people" channel yet from 6.30 to 9/9.30 I'd hardly ever watch anything thats not a match on it. Thats their core audience not watching during prime time: SOMETHING IS WRONG. Even relatively small changes like replacing the endless Friends repeats with stuff the bought from the US and dumped in the crazy hours (V Mars, Friday Night Lights etc.). They seem to believe noone will watch them cos their up against soaps but their are an array of 18-35 men out there who hate soaps (look at viewership of CL footie to see that).

Overall RTÉ is one of the stations I'd watch the most; because it's Irish, because it gets good US dramas early, because it has good sport coverage and good news for an Irish audience. They go on about public service but surely there main public service should be to entertain. They risk losing younger viewers who have more choice than ever and are the future of the TV audience

Ok, well that's more like it. I've seen more balanced and resonable argument in this thread than in a lot of the others. I do realise that it is a bit of fun bashing certain celebrities and I don't see much harm in it...

One very good point above about RTE 2 vacum of interesting programes between 7-9.30. Never thought about it, but it is true. They effectively throw in the towel for those hours (unless it's Champions Lge) so there is a big hole there that, with some imagination, could be filled

One very good point above about RTE 2 vacum of interesting programes between 7-9.30. Never thought about it, but it is true. They effectively throw in the towel for those hours (unless it's Champions Lge) so there is a big hole there that, with some imagination, could be filled

Yep I mean they used to put 2 hours of nature docus twice a week there. Now I like nature docu but it's neither the time or place. And they wouldn't even have to buy in new stuff or make anything new themselves simply rejig their schedule. Tbh if I had control of RTÉ for one week the main changes I would make would be scheduling ones. Just putting some of the programmes they have into more suitable slots to maximise viewership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Ok, well that's more like it. I've seen more balanced and resonable argument in this thread than in a lot of the others. I do realise that it is a bit of fun bashing certain celebrities and I don't see much harm in it...

exactly they fill those hours with repeats and
    then the put veronica mars on at 1.20 at night why why why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Love TV

How dare anyone criticise RTÉ! (it appears)

Never mind TV3 … it’s just a Granada company that generally shovels out “top” ITV programming.

But RTÉ as a national broadcaster should be scrutinised and scrutinised regularly.

Forget about any British or American programming. RTÉ have no control over the quality of these “fine shows”. When it comes to home produce, I have to say that there have been some good Irish productions broadcast on RTÉ, but it’s RTÉ’s own in-house “stuff” that generally falls down.

I don’t think budget should be used as an excuse for poor TV. A great example was the Reardons. Done on a shoestring but puts Fair City to shame as far as soaps go. Fair City is cringe TV. Embarrassing to watch and completely unbelievable. The scripts can be excused but the acting is dreadful. I know of a TV & Film Studies group that view Fair City as part of a “how NOT to do it” module.

But it’s just the general inability of RTÉ to find presenters that actually display genuine charisma. A condescending attitude or being able to say “rindabite” instead of roundabout should not be part of the criteria for presenting television. But it appears to be the norm within RTÉ.

Overall as a broadcaster RTÉ falls down big time when it comes to its own in-house productions. They don’t relate to the general population and appear to cater only to the so called upper middle class of south side Dublin. Off the top of my head, Anne Cassen is one of the few that displays a natural ability as a presenter. There may be more but unfortunately they don’t stand out.

I could go on and on and on but it’s just a waste of time. RTÉ will never change their attitude and we will be forever subjected to the same old terrible formats and presenting. I have to exclude the Rugby, GAA and Soccer coverage but that goes without saying. At least in general, sports people know what they’re talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

The problem with boards and RTÉ is simple. RTÉ doesn't really cater for the 18-35 year olds which happens to be the main users of boards. As was already pointed out, the 7-9 spot is usually taken up with nature docs. This is mindblowing. Especially when they the insist on putting on programs like veronica mars, 24 etc. during the grave yard shift.

There are probably two reasons RTÉ neglects the 18-35. Most of the good programs aimed at that age group are american made and available from the cousins in america:) quicker than RTÉ and secondly there is very little Irish made programs aime at that group.

What there is made usually loses its appeal quickly, or is a crap rip off of some foreign format or simply crap altogether. What's more there doesn't seem to be any creativity in Ireland for making innovative entertaining programs.

csk wrote: »
    The problem with boards and RTÉ is simple. RTÉ doesn't really cater for the 18-35 year olds which happens to be the main users of boards. As was already pointed out, the 7-9 spot is usually taken up with nature docs. This is mindblowing. Especially when they the insist on putting on programs like veronica mars, 24 etc. during the grave yard shift.

Agree totally
    csk wrote: »
    There are probably two reasons RTÉ neglects the 18-35. Most of the good programs aimed at that age group are american made and available from the cousins in america:) quicker than RTÉ and secondly there is very little Irish made programs aime at that group.

Don't really agree here. You can't blame the interweb. RTÉ never made an effort before such practices became commonplace in the last couple of years. Anyway what are TV stations gonna do over here, just give up because everyone has relations across the pond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

kevmy wrote: »
    Agree totally

Don't really agree here. You can't blame the interweb. RTÉ never made an effort before such practices became commonplace in the last couple of years. Anyway what are TV stations gonna do over here, just give up because everyone has relations across the pond?

I'm not necessarily blaming it completely. Before the internet, though, RTÉ at least attempted to make an effort and while it might have been nowhere near good enough it was better than now.

As to what are RTÉ going to do, probably nothing knowing them. What they should do is make more Irish programs aimed at that age group. However for various reasons I imagine the talent is not there in the country and any new shows will be godawful like Dan and Becs and I dare Ya or goodforbid the Cassidy's.:eek::D

Jerry Seinfeld on the Late Late tonight... I wonder how that will go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

I wouldn't say RTÉ neglects 18-35 year olds - half of RTÉ Two's remit is to service this age group. It'd probably be fairer to say that RTÉ doesn't do it very well.

Ditto TV3 - their target is 15-40 year olds or thereabouts, yet it gets a grilling on boards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The problem is that people are going to always compare RTE's output with that coming out of the UK and US , two of the finest countries in the world in terms of broadcasting , If you actually compare it with other European countries its not that bad at all.

Advertisement