Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

I have to disagree on the January wildcard, I think it provides a nice boost of interest to the majority of players. I have led my leagues all year, but even I was keen to get to the wildcard, not to just get a few in form players in, but because it allows you to make strategic changes affecting your team long term.

Any player sitting 50 points back at christmas, only able to change their team one player at a time, that player is as likely to say "feck it" and stop bothering completely as he is to patiently stick with it and hope he catches up over a few months. Don't forget, the majority of FF players are casual. Some are stattos, like a certain crybaby in here, but the majority have no real investment and are very easy to lose as regular players. Premier league FF is completely right to keep measures that will encourage these casual players to keep showing an interest.

If you say forget the casual players, then perhaps take a look at my league, where its obvious that most of the players stopped giving anything but token interest months ago. I have lead from the start and am almost two hundred points ahead of my nearest rival, and its obvious that everybody has just given up. Frankly, the league is now pointless and boring to play, and anything, such as wildcards, that can prevent situations like that are to be welcomed.

Agreed, im in the same position in my leagues, way ahead now so it is good to be able to freshen your team up and give some hope for a challenge. It also allows for more strategy in the game, as shown by the amount of people who comment on when to use their wildcard and whether they should save it for a big points pay off such as this week.

Who's the crybaby ya mentioned btw? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Just got an email from my main opposition in my one money game.

"If Cisse fails to score double figures tonight, I'll be giving up and accepting second as I plan on going away for a few weeks and forgetting the game. If he manages to do it I'll try push you but I'm not expecting much".

There's a €5000 total prize fund, with €3000 for first place and €1000 for second, so there's a relevant difference, for sure. I'm about 50 points ahead of him at the moment, but he still has captain Cisse, Simpson, Bogdan, and VDV to play. While I only have Simpson, Walker, and Bale.

The end of this DGW just got a lot more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

carlcon wrote: »
    Just got an email from my main opposition in my one money game.

"If Cisse fails to score double figures tonight, I'll be giving up and accepting second as I plan on going away for a few weeks and forgetting the game. If he manages to do it I'll try push you but I'm not expecting much".

There's a €5000 total prize fund, with €3000 for first place and €1000 for second, so there's a relevant difference, for sure. I'm about 50 points ahead of him at the moment, but he still has captain Cisse, Simpson, Bogdan, and VDV to play. While I only have Simpson, Walker, and Bale.

The end of this DGW just got a lot more interesting!

Well..... is he strong? Like..... would he knock you over? If he's weak than I wouldn't be too worried.

I've won all my leagues at this stage bar 1 of them. (Which I've no chance of winning) It is extremely unlikely, however, that I will end up getting my winnings off the other players. Although, I kind knew this weeks ago but I'm not too bothered. Losing out on 300 quid but how bad. I'm hoping to finish in the top 50,000. (That just shows how competitive my leagues were!) It was my first year playing the game and I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I'd leave it go for weeks because I'd lose interest. Other times I'd be thinking about what transfers to make all week. It was very fun at the start of the season, it dulled down a lot at Xmas time, got interesting again a while back for a few weeks, but it's gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

VDV goal and assist, Cisse goal, no clean sheet for Walker... I'll put the champagne on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i had planned on dropping tevez and cisse for rooney and vp but
    after tonite cisse is nearly impossible to drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

carlcon wrote: »
    VDV goal and assist, Cisse goal, no clean sheet for Walker... I'll put the champagne on hold.

id go 2k each with it being so close and sucha drop from 1st to second in prizemoney, everyones a winner then....or even 1500 each and battle it out for the rest? Would do something similar in poker a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Thank f**k the worst week I've ever had in FF is over... Dropped on average 40 points against most of my opponents, despite putting in a lot of preparation for the GW. After deductions I ended up on 60 points, probably one of the worst in the entire league. I figured I was at least getting a clean sheet from Simpson last night, log in today to see he didn't play. Standard after the last week! My back line alone shows how much of a disaster its turned out to be. Going into the GW the my defence was as follows.

Bogdan (2 games): 1 point
    BAE: (2 games) late injury
    Cahill: (2 games) late injury
    Simpson: (2 games) -1 point + late injury
    Evans: 0 points late injury
    Caulker: 0 points

Total points = 0

I swapped out BAE for Terry at another 4 point hit, which worked out well as he was the only player that contributed points from my entire defence, even though there was more bad luck involved there with an 83rd minute goal to spoil his clean sheet while Bosingwa owners fluked it. 99 times out of 100 going into that GW with that defence I do well, instead 4 of my 5 starting defenders have become injured and f*cked me over, and its cost me another 4 point hit just to get in a starting defender.

I can understand luck playing its part but its meant to even out over the course of the season, not absolutely headf*ck you with two games to go! I'm probably going to have to take another point hit now as I currently have one fit defender going into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Well we are getting near the end of the season, so I was just thinking to next season ;)

Who do people think will be the big movers in price for next season.

Risers
    Cisse (big rise) Ba, Bale, VDV, Silva, Dempsey, Sess, some of these have already gone up a lot and you would wonder can they go up much more especially RVP!!

Fallers
    Lampard(big fall), Ferdinand, Hangeland, Adam, Cahill, Bent, Torres, Drogba.....

Cisse will do a big jump, I think Adam did the same last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

roryc wrote: »

Cisse 9.5 next year. Disagree with Cahill. He'll be 7m at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Thank f**k the worst week I've ever had in FF is over... Dropped on average 40 points against most of my opponents, despite putting in a lot of preparation for the GW. After deductions I ended up on 60 points, probably one of the worst in the entire league. I figured I was at least getting a clean sheet from Simpson last night, log in today to see he didn't play. Standard after the last week! My back line alone shows how much of a disaster its turned out to be. Going into the GW the my defence was as follows.

Total points = 0

I swapped out BAE for Terry at another 4 point hit, which worked out well as he was the only player that contributed points from my entire defence, even though there was more bad luck involved there with an 83rd minute goal to spoil his clean sheet while Bosingwa owners fluked it. 99 times out of 100 going into that GW with that defence I do well, instead 4 of my 5 starting defenders have become injured and f*cked me over, and its cost me another 4 point hit just to get in a starting defender.

I can understand luck playing its part but its meant to even out over the course of the season, not absolutely headf*ck you with two games to go! I'm probably going to have to take another point hit now as I currently have one fit defender going into next week.

roryc, what happened to you this week is the very reason why I kept my WC 'till the very end to benefit from a DGW or avoid a disastrous scenario like what you experienced. I remembered from last year that the last GWs can be very chaotic and with all competitions reaching to an end there are more chances of getting the benefit of a DGW.
    Despite making an infuriating stupid mistake with keeping Simpson instead of getting Walker in, it worked out great for me with 118 points before the last BPs (if nothing too weird happens out of them I should get the weekly prize in my money league too).

But, not using my WC early as most of you on boards did (I can't remember if it's your case) cost me a lot and I'm around 100 points behind you overall. So my strategy didn't really work out in the end. Then it's not only that, I've made some bad choices too (back in October I went for an 8 pts hit to accomodate Nani to my team thinking I was going to benefit from my transfers over the upcoming GWs but the exact opposite happened, Nani stopped performing, Sess' & Eagles who had a poor start and whom I dropped started to overperform etc.. etc..).

Yes. From 5.4 or something to 9.0 !!!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Disagree with Cahill. He'll be 7m at least.

Depends which Cahill ye're talking about. Chelsea's one or Everton's one? The former will increase and the latter decrease IMO.

iroced wrote: »
    Yes. From 5.4 or something to 9.0 !!!

Depends which Cahill ye're talking about. Chelsea's one or Everton's one? The former will increase and the latter decrease IMO.

Ah yeah. Was racking my brains for the other Cahill but forgot Evertons Cahill. Agreed.

roryc, what happened to you this week is the very reason why I kept my WC 'till the very end to benefit from a DGW or avoid a disastrous scenario like what you experienced. I remembered from last year that the last GWs can be very chaotic and with all competitions reaching to an end there are more chances of getting the benefit of a DGW.
    Despite making an infuriating stupid mistake with keeping Simpson instead of getting Walker in, it worked out great for me with 118 points before the last BPs (if nothing too weird happens out of them I should get the weekly prize in my money league too).

But, not using my WC early as most of you on boards did (I can't remember if it's your case) cost me a lot and I'm around 100 points behind you overall. So my strategy didn't really work out in the end. Then it's not only that, I've made some bad choices too (back in October I went for an 8 pts hit to accomodate Nani to my team thinking I was going to benefit from my transfers over the upcoming GWs but the exact opposite happened, Nani stopped performing, Sess' & Eagles who had a poor start and whom I dropped started to overperform etc.. etc..).

I am a huge proponent of using the wildcard early. Has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The newcastle defenders will go up also, much closer to the other big 4/6 teams.

Few swansea players will see a rise too.

Stoke have been the most disappointing team overall for me. Spent money and expected them to do well (regardless of europa league). Feck all clean sheets too.

roryc, what happened to you this week is the very reason why I kept my WC 'till the very end to benefit from a DGW or avoid a disastrous scenario like what you experienced.

I kept mine later than most, only used it a few weeks ago. Was impossible to see this coming tbh, I thought the only issue I'd have this week would be captain choice (which I also got disastrously wrong), or whether to pick Bale over VDV (also wrong), or even whether or not to bring in Everton players (yep, wrong again).

Seeing three of my first choice DGW'ers going down injured last minute was nothing other than bad timing. I couldn't have even changed Simpson out, he conceded 4 against Wigan and then didn't start against Chelsea. No one saw that coming, I was expecting a minimum of 8 points from him tbh.

In previous years I've actually always used my wildcard early, in the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Bonus points are a joke, how the f*ck did bale not get a least 1 bonus point? He set up 2 last night , should of been more.

I kept mine later than most, only used it a few weeks ago. Was impossible to see this coming tbh, I thought the only issue I'd have this week would be captain choice (which I also got disastrously wrong), or whether to pick Bale over VDV (also wrong), or even whether or not to bring in Everton players (yep, wrong again).

Seeing three of my first choice DGW'ers going down injured last minute was nothing other than bad timing. I couldn't have even changed Simpson out, he conceded 4 against Wigan and then didn't start against Chelsea. No one saw that coming, I was expecting a minimum of 8 points from him tbh.
    Ah right... Well, hopefully you had all the bad luck concentrated on one GW.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I am a huge proponent of using the wildcard early. Has never let me down.
    In previous years I've actually always used my wildcard early, in the first month.
    Well, seeing how both of you are performing I may change my tactic next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Bonus points are a joke, how the f*ck did bale not get a least 1 bonus point? He set up 2 last night , should of been more.

I watched the match and dont think he deserved any. well in terms of how they pick it, i personally wouldnt of gave any BPs to ade despite his two goals, VDV and Modric were certs,they were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

agreed, where are the bonuses for the liverpool and everton match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

The 3 goalscorers from the winning team got the BP's.....under the current system that's the way it goes, having watched the game VDV and Modric were the 2 best players on the field so no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Fair enough modric and vdv but ade was awful even though he managed to get 2 goals.

Ade had his finger stuck in his hole all game while bale wasn't as good as he usually is but he was still getting the crosses in and getting on the ball.

He had to of whipped in at least 5 excellent crosses, 2 of which were low and hard waiting to be tapped in. He ended up getting 2 assists in the end and probaly should of had a goal.

Just taught his input deserved bonus points especially over ade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Eldoco wrote: »
    agreed, where are the bonuses for the liverpool and everton match?

Good point, they aren't up yet.
    I'm nip and tuck in my money league again this month, its basically down to bonus points if I win or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Juxtapose

Really hope they sort the bonus points system for next year. Whatever way they have it running doesnt obviously work. Having the bonus points from tuesdays game coming in before the bonus points on monday!

Its frustrating enough playing this game for 38 weeks of the year without them adding extra frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Good point, they aren't up yet.
    I'm nip and tuck in my money league again this month, its basically down to bonus points if I win or not.

I'd say billymitchell doesn't take too kindly to coming second in fantasy football games. Are you aiming for over 1,000,000 points? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I'd say billymitchell doesn't take too kindly to coming second in fantasy football games. Are you aiming for over 1,000,000 points? ;)

I got 1,000,000 points at home and video recorded it. That should be good enough proof that I am the best, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I got 1,000,000 points at home and video recorded it. That should be good enough proof that I am the best, right?

Yea I would have too but the random barrels killed my captain when he was clean through on goal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Fair enough modric and vdv but ade was awful even though he managed to get 2 goals.

Ade had his finger stuck in his hole all game while bale wasn't as good as he usually is but he was still getting the crosses in and getting on the ball.

He had to of whipped in at least 5 excellent crosses, 2 of which were low and hard waiting to be tapped in. He ended up getting 2 assists in the end and probaly should of had a goal.

Just taught his input deserved bonus points especially over ade.

BPs this year don't reward the best players, their done according to the EA player rating system, which basically gives lots of points to goalscorers. it's a stupid system though, hopefully will be reverted to last year's system.

froog wrote: »
    BPs this year don't reward the best players, their done according to the EA player rating system, which basically gives lots of points to goalscorers. it's a stupid system though, hopefully will be reverted to last year's system.

Unfortunately, not in a million years. EA and the FPL are snugly wrapped up in bed with each other and abandoning the system will basically say that EA's system is flawed. That's not going to happen.

The very best we can hope for is a modified version that has different weights for occurrences that are more important to fantasy football. For example, it is quite clear that assists mean diddly squat. Bale proved that last night and Mata got 1 bonus for 4 assists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Total points = 0

This is probably going to start another argument with you but why the sudden emphasis on luck?

Yes, there is an amount of luck involved in this game but was it luck that meant Bogdan got 1 point? I've Bogdan myself and, to be honest, luck or no luck, I wasn't expecting much from him in a gameweek where he was playing Sunderland away and Spurs at home. Also, when did you transfer Cahill in? If it was at the start of the gameweek before his injury was known about, then that's a poor decision by yourself rather than luck. It's why most people leave their transfers until the last minute Friday evening/Saturday morning. To have jumped the gun and made a transfer early in the gameweek which doesn't work out is nothing to do with bad luck.

Regarding the BAE injury, it ruined my plans for the week as well as plenty of other people's, but we still managed to come out of the gameweek with a respectable score. I also had Evans injured and Kelly missed the first game.

Don't mistake poor decision making with luck is all I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement