Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

roryc wrote: »
    At the expense of who though? Only Valencia/Young would be worth it, the rest are on double GW's.

Already have a mid of Valencia, Walcott, Siggy, Bale and Gerrard so was thinking Gerrard. Would bring me up to 11 for next week and they do have Wolves the week after...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

100% get rid of Gerrard...

100% get rid of Gerrard...

I know he's got a double gameweek in gw36 and he'll probably be angry after we beat him in the semi on Saturday but Silva may well outscore him through the end of the season....but....was Silvas play last night a flash in the pan? It was against West Brom but, is he worth it for the rest of the season?....decisions decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Silva looked very lively last night, back to something like his best form.

Just to add to the difficulty -
    Silva V Norwich, then Wolves
    or
    Sessegnon V Wolves, then Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

smokingman wrote: »
    Just to add to the difficulty -
    Silva V Norwich, then Wolves
    or
    Sessegnon V Wolves, then Villa

Can I remind people of City's poor away form? Of the 5 games they have left, 3 of them are away. They have scored 5 goals in their last 10 away games. That is an absolutely useless record. Norwich aren't looking too bad and I don't think City will score much against them. As for Wolves, Wolves are Wolves and City will surely score a few but they won't destroy them. Then City have United at home and Newcastle away. Their last game is the only one looking in their favour really, besides the Wolves one. QPR at home.

I honestly can't see too many goals from City in their last 5. I could be proven wrong by them, but given the statistics, it'd be a good idea not to knee-jerk both Aguero and Silva in.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

So the guy who has spent six months at the top of the table has slipped to 12th in three weeks

That must be a serious kick in the groin

Surprised it took so long considering he has Hilario and Ferguson in his team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    So the guy who has spent six months at the top of the table has slipped to 12th in three weeks

I can almost relate to that. Based on current form, there's no way I'm going to win the Boards league, which generally wouldn't cross my mind for a moment... only for being on top for practically the whole season has given be a certain "comfort" that I won't be happy to lose so late in the season.

I'm doing a City! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Only 23 behind 3rd! And 47 behind 1st! Go on the Dazzler!

I'll just be happy closing out my money league at this stage, but I seem to be making steady progress towards the top while I'm at it, can't complain really :)

If I get the DGW spot on, then who knows

• Advertisement

Surely the rest of your leagues are over if your 14th!

I'll just be happy closing out my money league at this stage, but I seem to be making steady progress towards the top while I'm at it, can't complain really :)

If I get the DGW spot on, then who knows

are you keeping Cisse or gonna gamble on someone like Bendtner for gw34??

Surely the rest of your leagues are over if your 14th!

Main rival is 70ish points behind me, 407 in the world

Pretty high standard in our cash league this year!

Get through GW 34 without him eating into my lead and then I'll call it as over

manual_man wrote: »
    are you keeping Cisse or gonna gamble on someone like Bendtner for gw34??

Keeping Cisse, brought in Vermaelen to give me the full 11

Going to ignore the double in 35 (no value there imo) then focus everything on setting myself up right for 36

willing to take a four point hit, so should have seven players playing twice

Main rival is 70ish points behind me, 407 in the world

Pretty high standard in our cash league this year!

Get through GW 34 without him eating into my lead and then I'll call it as over

Surely it's 36 you should be worrying about? And 70 is borderline uncatchable now...

Surely it's 36 you should be worrying about? And 70 is borderline uncatchable now...

He has most of the same players as me

So unless he takes a raft of points hits there's no way he can set his team up vastly different to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

Looking forward to the next gameweek, Team picks its self dont have to worry about selecting subs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yep, me too. Just finalised my team there, brought in Turner for O'Shea, Sunderland have some ok fixtures coming up. I'm going 4-4-2 this week, first time in a while!
    Vorm

Evans Caulker Turner Vermaelen

Silva Valencia Siggy McLean

RVP Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Surely it would be a good idea to get a city player in for this gameweek no ? id say they will pull out all the stops now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I've seen some clever team names, but this just takes things to a whole new level...

SiggySongOxSessDemps

• Advertisement

Anyone know why exactly Rooney was taken off in the Wigan game?
    Was it because he was partly at fault for the goal or is he having a bit of an argie-bargie with Fergie lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

smokingman wrote: »
    Anyone know why exactly Rooney was taken off in the Wigan game?
    Was it because he was partly at fault for the goal or is he having a bit of an argie-bargie with Fergie lately?

He was poor,ended up dropping into midfield to try & help out.More of a tactical error by Fergie than anything else.He'll be up front against Villa & Scholes will be back in the team.I expect Rooney to get a couple against Villa after what happened the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yep, me too. Just finalised my team there, brought in Turner for O'Shea, Sunderland have some ok fixtures coming up. I'm going 4-4-2 this week, first time in a while!
    Vorm

Evans Caulker Turner Vermaelen

Silva Valencia Siggy McLean

RVP Rooney
    have 9 of those. Mid table mediocraty.

have 11 for this week after taking an 8 pt hit. hoping my City players can gain me some ground if not this week then next week definitely against Wolves!

Al Habsi Caulker Kompany Evans Valencia Siggy Silva McClean Graham Aguero RVP, Sub Walcott

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

^^
    8 point hit and Walcott on the bench? Why not 4 and play him?

Whoever you got rid of presumably would have had a double in 36?

GetWithIt wrote: »
    ^^
    8 point hit and Walcott on the bench? Why not 4 and play him?

Whoever you got rid of presumably would have had a double in 36?

I'm gambling on Silva making me back those 4 points. I don't fancy Walcott against Wigan, hence the bench

edit I got rid of Dempsey, who does have a double, but to be honest I don't fancy him for that double, excellent rapper though he is

Was talking to one of my mates last night and he was asking me why I think I did better this year in FF than in previous years. I came up with the theory that actually not getting to watch a lot of games is helping me, because I'm avoiding knee jerking players in based on one performance

Have to just rely on the stats

Wonder what Carlcon thinks about this? You live in California don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Was talking to one of my mates last night and he was asking me why I think I did better this year in FF than in previous years. I came up with the theory that actually not getting to watch a lot of games is helping me, because I'm avoiding knee jerking players in based on one performance

Have to just rely on the stats

Wonder what Carlcon thinks about this? You live in California don't you?

You know what... this exact thing came to mind when the guy currently behind me in the Boards league made a post yesterday or the day before, and I noticed his location is set to "USA". That's 3 of the current top players in Boards all in North America. I was trying to figure out if that had any relevance.

My explanation for my own relative success was accepting that stats and professional opinion trumps my opinion tenfold. I relied heavily on BBC Radio5Live commentary during the first half of the season, where I was getting constant stats, facts, and up to date opinion from ex players and managers before, during, and after games. Didn't matter what games I saw, or who I thought played well... I went with them.

It's no coincidence that I've mostly sucked over the last few months, as I've been watching more games as opposed to getting more info.

So yeah... I think there's definitely something to your theory.

I just remember in previous years a guy would score a cracker and I'd have him transferred in before the end of the game, it's madness

avoiding knee jerk decisions is the single biggest factor to doing well, that and a bit of luck of course (I've had no injuries all season)

• Advertisement

Also - We should do some sort of FPL awards at the end of the season

categories like - Worst value FPL player, best value FPL player, best team, most surprising team, favourite FPL player, most disappointing player, player who will absolutely be in your starting XI next year, best team name you've seen etc

could be a good idea :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement