Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Panel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

It would seem from that article that recruitment to the full-time is a while off.

Also going on his comments about foreign nationals in future campaigns, i wonder is he talking about positive discrimination in future campaigns?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

KEBABTRAY wrote: »
    This thread was supposed to be for those on the panel . To share rumours about when recruitment might begin. How it turned into a reserves vs panel thread i dont know.

Anyway. It occured to me whilst reading the irish times article about giving the reserves more powers that the government have hit on an ingenious idea. Getting people to work for the state for free. Whats next reserve teachers? Reserve nurses?

They want the reserves to number !0% of the full time force. Why not make it 20%. That way there will be no need for recruitment till 2020.

Having reserve guards just delays the need for full time guards.
    Those of you who joined the reserves (including those waiting on the panel) believing it would fast track you to a career in the AGS. you are contributing to the delay in Full time recruitment.

If you joined the reserves for the above reason . My question to you is this.... WHY WOULD THEY PAY YOU FOR SOMETHING YOU ALREADY PROVIDE FOR FREE?

As i have said time after time the Reserve force is the way forward, and look what happens more powers to be given to them, great stuff at least they may utlise them better now then they have been doing, every other country has them and they work perfectly fine, what is wrong with people is they are afraid of change nothing more, its all about the fear of the unknown, its about time the country pulled their socks up and brought us into the 21 century, we are way way behind other countries with everything.

Having Reserves means a lot more me thinks, it makes serious room for the fast track route into full time hopefully for many already who already have 3/4/5 or even 6 yrs done.

You ask the question why would they pay for something you are doing for free, well hopefully it will eventually lead to been paid to be a full time member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

KEBABTRAY wrote: »
    This thread was supposed to be for those on the panel . To share rumours about when recruitment might begin. How it turned into a reserves vs panel thread i dont know.

Anyway. It occured to me whilst reading the irish times article about giving the reserves more powers that the government have hit on an ingenious idea. Getting people to work for the state for free. Whats next reserve teachers? Reserve nurses?

They want the reserves to number !0% of the full time force. Why not make it 20%. That way there will be no need for recruitment till 2020.

Having reserve guards just delays the need for full time guards.
    Those of you who joined the reserves (including those waiting on the panel) believing it would fast track you to a career in the AGS. you are contributing to the delay in Full time recruitment.

If you joined the reserves for the above reason . My question to you is this.... WHY WOULD THEY PAY YOU FOR SOMETHING YOU ALREADY PROVIDE FOR FREE?

good man urself, couldnt be put better. reserves who wish to join full time, especially the ones who are moving on a bit (28 or over) might actually be preventing themselves from ever becoming a gardai. the more reserves the less need for full time gards=the longer away a recruitment campaign will be. it is grand for those who are 20-22 because more than likely they will be under the age limit when it eventually comes around. yer extra effort unfortunately might be all done in vain. as for being promoted to a garda or being allowed to join older than 35 because your a reserve, well ye can keep on dreaming.

thekopend wrote: »
    good man urself, couldnt be put better. reserves who wish to join full time, especially the ones who are moving on a bit (28 or over) might actually be preventing themselves from ever becoming a gardai. it is grand for those who are 20-22 because more than likely they will be under the age limit when it eventually comes around. yer extra effort unfortunately might be all done in vain.

Age wont be a problem if they take from with in the reserves, people are not dead at 40 anymore, seeing as the old age pension is now increasing by a year each year, its no longer 65 now so add a year on every year you could be looking at retirement age reaching 70+, remember people are living longer and are much fitter then in the olden days, so as it was said before reserves are already in AGS whatever their age, so if they can do the same work now, whats to stop them doing it full time.

People aged over the 35 yr bracket can still give plenty of service, plus with the new pension system been introduced in the 2013 you will only get what you pay in, nothing more, so it dont matter how long you do your service for.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

This Reserve talk really is getting boring, can you keep it to the reserve thread where it belongs as you guys have already got this thread closed before.
    Bluetop and Ryaner you guys are constantly on here belittling everyone who isn't in the reserves and talk you like know everything that's going on.
    Your a reserve, fair play and well done. But you have nothing to do with the panel, you clearly begrudge everyone on it. With the exception of being too young at the time you have no excuse for not applying before for fulltime AGS.
    Just because your a reserve, it doesn't mean you deserve it more, you sound like you're trying to abuse the system and are looking for an easy way in.
    Prepare to do all the tests that every applicant has to do, there are no short cuts.
    You're like a pair of Christians trying to convert everyone to your way of thinking and your beliefs.
    You know nothing about what will happen, just like everyone else.

Rant over......

Thread name is "The Panel"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 --Ryaner--

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    This Reserve talk really is getting boring, can you keep it to the reserve thread where it belongs as you guys have already got this thread closed before.
    Bluetop and Ryaner you guys are constantly on here belittling everyone who isn't in the reserves and talk you like know everything that's going on.
    Your a reserve, fair play and well done. But you have nothing to do with the panel, you clearly begrudge everyone on it. With the exception of being too young at the time you have no excuse for not applying before for fulltime AGS.
    Just because your a reserve, it doesn't mean you deserve it more, you sound like you're trying to abuse the system and are looking for an easy way in.
    Prepare to do all the tests that every applicant has to do, there are no short cuts.
    You're like a pair of Christians trying to convert everyone to your way of thinking and your beliefs.

Rant over......

I have noting agents people on the panel what so ever we all want to play for the same side and hopefully all of us will some day soon.... Bull**** and rumours aside what will happen will happen and all of us have no say or choice in the matter of the subjects!

+1

bluetop wrote: »
    Age wont be a problem if they take from with in the reserves, people are not dead at 40 anymore, seeing as the old age pension is now increasing by a year each year, its no longer 65 now so add a year on every year you could be looking at retirement age reaching 70+, remember people are living longer and are much fitter then in the olden days, so as it was said before reserves are already in AGS whatever their age, so if they can do the same work now, whats to stop them doing it full time.

People aged over the 35 yr bracket can still give plenty of service, plus with the new pension system been introduced in the 2013 you will only get what you pay in, nothing more, so it dont matter how long you do your service for.

that pension age has diddly squat to do with gardai and their pension age. if you didnt know a gard up to the rank of cheif has to retire at 60 or before due to the nature of the job, that wont change. people are living longer due to better lifestyle but they sure as f*** aren't fitter. 39% of adults are overweight in ireland today, that wasent heard of years ago.

the gardai arent going to train anyone over 35 get over it. dont forget reserves will have to be trained too, with practically the same cost as a recruit. they arent goin to spend money to train someone who is 40 when the most they can do is 20 years, probably 15. they would rather spend the money on people who are within the age limit, which was set for a reason!!! and get anything up to 40 years service, ye are always blowing on about saving money well recruiting above 35 is the opposite. as i said before there is no shortage of people under 35 reserves inclusive, there is no reason/benefit in the wide world to recruit over 35 so why would they???. if anything they will bring it back down to reduce the amount applying. dont for get it used to be 27, 35 is the max believe me. honest to god a guard 70+:rolleyes: uv a lot of waking up to do lad. u need to do a bit of study about the gardai because you haven't a clue.

http://www.gra.cc/pensions.shtml

that pension age has diddly squat to do with gardai and their pension age. if you didnt know a gard up to the rank of cheif has to retire at 60 or before due to the nature of the job, that wont change. people are living longer due to better lifestyle but they sure as f*** aren't fitter. 39% of adults are overweight in ireland today, that wasent heard of years ago.

the gardai arent going to train anyone over 35 get over it. dont forget reserves will have to be trained too, with practically the same cost as a recruit. they arent goin to spend money to train someone who is 40 when the most they can do is 20 years, probably 15. they would rather spend the money on people who are within the age limit, which was set for a reason!!! and get anything up to 40 years service, ye are always blowing on about saving money well recruiting above 35 is the opposite. as i said before there is no shortage of people under 35 reserves inclusive, there is no reason/benefit in the wide world to recruit over 35 so why would they???. if anything they will bring it back down to reduce the amount applying. dont for get it used to be 27, 35 is the max believe me. honest to god a guard 70+:rolleyes: uv a lot of waking up to do lad. u need to do a bit of study about the gardai because you haven't a clue.

http://www.gra.cc/pensions.shtml

Did you ever think of taking up writing for the daily rag mag, because you do exactly what they do taking posts and twisting and taking them out of context to suit yourself, who said anything about garda been 70+, i was speaking in terms of what the retirement age for people in general.

As for younger recruits perhaps they might and then might not, both you me and anyone else on here does not know what is going to happen, everything is pure speculation and wishful thinking on us all, there is no experience like life experience and you defo dont get that ageed 20 to 25, some people at that age can barley stand on their own two feet let alone do anything else, ever wonder why car insurance is so high for people under 25, yep because some of them are so irresponsible, im sure the government thought about this when they hired the age limit.

As for what it costs to train a reserve, im sure the have got their money 10 fold over to pay for the training, so actually has cost them nothing, a person in 6 yrs now and getting training has well paid for that and more with their hours done.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

I think everyone on here needs to stop all this reserves vs panel crap, its getting so old and its that sort of thing that got our last thread closed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 username78

shakin wrote: »
    It would seem from that article that recruitment to the full-time is a while off.

Also going on his comments about foreign nationals in future campaigns, i wonder is he talking about positive discrimination future campaigns?

It's a long way off for sure,I reckon there will be positive discrimination whether officially or unofficially they will target ethnic minorities.

Side note,all this bickering in a way makes me laugh because we are arguing about recruitment thats years away,'in a better economic environment', when it does happen,they may only take in 200/300 and not recruit for another couple of years after so even if your early 20's you may not have many opportunities to join.They aren't going to have recruitment on a regular basis to save money and they won't need the numbers with such a young force.
    This crisis started four years ago and I'm guessing in another four years it'll be the same if not worse.
    Wrong generation to be looking for recruitment,simply it.

Addition:I look forward to a time when we will be financially in a more sound space and able again to commence recruitment to the Garda.

Shatter on kildarestreet.its a loooooooooooooooong way off

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bluecloud

P.C.Plod wrote: »

Rant over......

Here Here couldnt of said it any better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I think everyone on here needs to stop all this reserves vs panel crap, its getting so old and its that sort of thing that got our last thread closed

Agreed....cut the crap

Just back from the college yesterday was doing the first aid that was canceled last year on me..... One of the trainers told me there are very strong "rumors" of intake in early/middle 2013 but also that the new format of training has not yet been tested on how well it works and there could be also a very small intake of 40 split into 2 groups different starting dates to see how efficient this new training program works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i heard something similar ryaner

new boots on the street by 2014, so mid/end of 2013 wouldnt be far off

another rumour that prob has no basis....................but ill share it anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mr magu

I don't they can even afford new boots at this stage!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

--Ryaner-- wrote: »

I'd be interested to see how many retired Gardai have joined the Reserves?

From my experience, 80-90% of people currently in the Reserves are waiting for recruitment so I think that TD doesn't really understand the concept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

FYI Lads
    http://www.thescore.ie/retired-gardai-frontline-alan-shatter-516819-Jul2012/[/QUOTE]

A half-witted politician looking for a sound bite is all - yeah , retired gardai will join the reserves and work for free ..... and pigs might fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Delancey wrote: »
    FYI Lads
    http://www.thescore.ie/retired-gardai-frontline-alan-shatter-516819-Jul2012/[/QUOTE]

A half-witted politician looking for a sound bite is all - yeah , retired gardai will join the reserves and work for free ..... and pigs might fly.

lots were hounded out due to cut backs etc

and threatened with losing chunks of their pension after serving the state for 30 years plus

and theyve to come back and work for nothing........................?

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »

lots were hounded out due to cut backs etc

and threatened with losing chunks of their pension after serving the state for 30 years plus

and theyve to come back and work for nothing........................?

If i am not mistaken they get an extra payment on top of what the reserves get, as they where serving members already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

If i am not mistaken they get an extra payment on top of what the reserves get, as they where serving members already.

Interesting point - I didn't know that.

they dont exist, id would guess there are zero retired gards serving in the reserves, the idea is almost laughable.

they dont exist, id would guess there are zero retired gards serving in the reserves, the idea is almost laughable.

Yet another post taking out of context, should they take up the appointment they get an extra payment on top of the Reserve allowance, is that better.

Yet another post taking out of context, should they take up the appointment they get an extra payment on top of the Reserve allowance, is that better.

i understood you the first time, i was just highlighting that there are no retired guards going to join the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

The only people that would suggest retired members would join the reserves like this are people outside of AGS and have no understanding on how the reserves are viewed as a body within AGS.

Retired guards would never join the reserves. Period.

Just on tv3 news there that Shatter is under pressure to lift the recruitment ban due to the amount of armed robberies lately. At least it's getting publicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 username78

Unfortunately,the only opposition party looking for recruitment ban to be lifted is Sinn Fein and Shatter wont listen to them,FF can't say a word because they signed up to four year plan and the likes of Mayo's Michael Ring who was calling for it before General Election isn't anymore for some reason.

Just on tv3 news there that Shatter is under pressure to lift the recruitment ban due to the amount of armed robberies lately. At least it's getting publicity

I think they will have to ask the Germans first, please can we spend some money and put the bail out on hold, i know what they will be told, pay your debt's first.

• Advertisement

At least it's getting publicity though

Advertisement