Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football All Stars 2014

Options
  • 01-09-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭

I know the final will decide an awful lot WRT these but might be fun to start putting some selections together now.

I won't put in a full team but will take a stab at a few positions I think are locks and see if anyone disagrees and/or wants to fill in their own effort.

Durcan

CB
    FB
    CB

WHB
    CHB
    WHB

Moran
    MF

Flynn
    CHF
    WHF

James O'Donoghue ---- FF
    Cillian O'Connor

I don't want to put in any more without thinking about it as I'd have Kerry players more in mind than would be probably correct, but other names that come to mind are Diarmuid Connolly, James McCarthy, Michael Murphy, MacNiallais, Paul Murphy, Keith Higgins, Ryan McHugh.

From counties outside of the SFs there aren't too many jumping out at me. Don't think Cork have anyone to put forward this year, maybe Walsh from Galway, Walshe from Monaghan, Dyas from Armagh maybe?

Those all seem like reaches to be honest, wouldn't view it askance if the all stars all came from the SF teams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

As long as my 13/8 punt on COC comes in, I'm happy. Long awaited and long overdue for Cillian. Boyler and Skippy deserve awards too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Full forward will be interesting. Donaghy or Murphy...the final could decide everything. Andy Moran an outside bet but like Donaghy was more an impact player throughout championship.

Aidan O'Shea or Shane Walsh in the running for CHF.

Possibly Seamus O'Shea for midfield. I know he plays in patches but they are brillant patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Higgins , m murphy , connolly would be my additions based on the year so far.
    Donaghy may yet upset all calculations as he did in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Seamus O' Shea was outplayed by Moran and the forgotten man Anthony Maher in the semi. I'd have the Kerry midfielders not to mention Neil Gallagher.

Aidan O Shea played well in snatches and judging by last year that'll probably be good enough to win an AS.

Connolly was poor in the provincial series but these things are decided on the latter stages so his very good quarter and semi will probably be enough.

Tony Kernan played well for Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pinesky wrote: »
    Higgins , m murphy , connolly would be my additions based on the year so far.
    Donaghy may yet upset all calculations as he did in 2006.

Donaghey only gets one if he has an influence on the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I would be shocked if MacNiallais and Ryan McHugh weren't both included, as well as Michael Murphy. Where they get to them is possibly up for grabs.

A good final for Donaghy could get him one.

I reckon Paddy McGrath is in with a good shout, Keith Higgins did a pretty good job on JOD and is always consistent, both McGees will be there or thereabouts, Paul Murphy has had a strong season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I think Donegal will win the AI and from it they should have the most All-Stars.

Could change my mind yet but here's my stab at a team anyway.

1. P Durcan (Donegal)
    2. A Mallon (Armagh)
    3. N McGee (Donegal)
    4. K Higgins (Mayo)
    5. R McHugh (Donegal)
    6. C Boyle (Mayo)
    7. F McGlynn (Donegal)
    8. N Gallagher (Donegal)
    9. D Moran (Kerry)
    10. D Walsh (Kerry)
    11. P Flynn (Dublin)
    12. D Connolly (Dublin)
    13. C O Connor (Mayo)
    14. M Murphy (Donegal)
    15. J O Donoghue (Kerry)

Player of the year - J O Donoghue (Kerry)

Young player of the year - R McHugh (Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Durcan

K.Higgins
    N.McGee
    A.Mallon

P.Murphy
    C.Boyle
    F.McGlynn

N.Gallagher
    A.Maher

P.Flynn
    D.Connolly
    R.McHugh (could be included in backs either. MOM in Ulster ifnal)

C.O'Connor
    M.Murphy/K.Donaghy (depending on influence and result in final)
    J.O'Donoghue

Think full back line, Boyle and McGlynn are certs, along with Gallagher, Flynn, Connolly, O'Connor, O'Donoghue. Final spots between McHugh,Moran/Maher,Walsh, Murphy and Donaghy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Maher getting one ahead of Moran seems somewhat unlikely Castletownman

corny wrote: »
    Seamus O' Shea was outplayed by Moran and the forgotten man Anthony Maher in the semi. I'd have the Kerry midfielders not to mention Neil Gallagher.

Aidan O Shea played well in snatches and judging by last year that'll probably be good enough to win an AS.

Connolly was poor in the provincial series but these things are decided on the latter stages so his very good quarter and semi will probably be enough.

Tony Kernan played well for Armagh.

Anthony Maher was taken off in the first game after Kerry were cleaned out for most of the second half and I can't remember him doing much in the replay.

• Advertisement

realweirdo wrote: »
    Anthony Maher was taken off in the first game after Kerry were cleaned out for most of the second half and I can't remember him doing much in the replay.

He was very good in the replay but that was his first really good game all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Moran, Crowley and JOD should be locked in at this stage for Kerry.

C O Connor for Mayo and M Murphy for Donegal are the other two guaranteed

Crowley has been immense all year and getting very little praise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

keane2097 wrote: »
    I know the final will decide an awful lot WRT these but might be fun to start putting some selections together now.

I won't put in a full team but will take a stab at a few positions I think are locks and see if anyone disagrees and/or wants to fill in their own effort.

Durcan

CB
    FB
    CB

WHB
    CHB
    WHB

Moran
    MF

Flynn
    CHF
    WHF

James O'Donoghue ---- FF
    Cillian O'Connor

I don't want to put in any more without thinking about it as I'd have Kerry players more in mind than would be probably correct, but other names that come to mind are Diarmuid Connolly, James McCarthy, Michael Murphy, MacNiallais, Paul Murphy, Keith Higgins, Ryan McHugh.

From counties outside of the SFs there aren't too many jumping out at me. Don't think Cork have anyone to put forward this year, maybe Walsh from Galway, Walshe from Monaghan, Dyas from Armagh maybe?

Those all seem like reaches to be honest, wouldn't view it askance if the all stars all came from the SF teams.

Out of what you left I would say Connolly as a maybe.

Michael Murphy and R McHugh as certs especially if Donegal win.

Keith Higgins, no question. Was absolutely remarkable fover the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Got very tired and was replaced in the first game. Wouldn't hold it against him that he went out of the game either. Kerry, as a team, struggled during that period.

He was excellent in the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Moran, Crowley and JOD should be locked in at this stage for Kerry.

C O Connor for Mayo and M Murphy for Donegal are the other two guaranteed

Crowley has been immense all year and getting very little praise for it.

Keith Higgins is surely a lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ugh. Hate these discussions until the Final is over.

But anyway.

I think based on the three semi final games, Paul Durcan is nearly guaranteed to be goalkeeper.
    I think Neil McGee and Keith Higgins will get the nod in the full back line.
    James O'Donoghue and Cillian O'Connor for full forward line.
    One if not both of Paul Flynn and Diarmuid Connolly.

Outsiders mention in first post:
    Colin Walshe - no, not enough to keep out others who played in semi final.
    Shane Walsh - probably not, I don't think he showed enough against Kerry
    Kevin Dyas - no, I don't think he did enough against Donegal.

From Armagh, I guess Andy Mallon and maybe even Stefan Campbell might get nominated.

All in all, I think there are too many good players among the four semi finalists to ensure no other players get awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ugh. Hate these discussions until the Final is over.

But anyway.

I think based on the three semi final games, Paul Durcan is nearly guaranteed to be goalkeeper.
    I think Neil McGee and Keith Higgins will get the nod in the full back line.
    James O'Donoghue and Cillian O'Connor for full forward line.
    One if not both of Paul Flynn and Diarmuid Connolly.

Outsiders mention in first post:
    Colin Walshe - no, not enough to keep out others who played in semi final.
    Shane Walsh - probably not, I don't think he showed enough against Kerry
    Kevin Dyas - no, I don't think he did enough against Donegal.

From Armagh, I guess Andy Mallon and maybe even Stefan Campbell might get nominated.

All in all, I think there are too many good players among the four semi finalists to ensure no other players get awards.

+1
    Can't see any footballer outside of the semi finalists having a snowball's chance of getting an all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

For me so far:
    1. Durcan
    2. Higgins
    3.McGee
    4.McGee
    5.P. Murphy
    6.C.Boyle
    7.F. McGlynn
    8.Gallagher
    9.Moran
    10.P.Flynn
    11. A' O Shea
    12.R.Mchugh
    13.O'Connor
    14.M Murphy
    15.James O'D

As for Donaghy, he will have the best full back in the game on him and a sweeper for company in the final, rather than Ger Cafferkey so can't see him within an asses roar of an All-Star.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Keith Higgins is surely a lockdown?

JOD scored 3 9 over the two games off him.

I dont think so

JOD scored 3 9 over the two games off him.

I dont think so

You cannot seriously blame Keith Higgins for the 2 penalties he scored...quite aside from the fact neither of them would have been awarded by a competent ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seligehgit wrote: »
    +1
    Can't see any footballer outside of the semi finalists having a snowball's chance of getting an all star.

Armagh reached the AI quarter final beating Tyrone away on route and only lost by one point to Donegal. They deserve at least one all-star with Mallon looking the most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Paul Durcan

Paddy McGrath
    Neil McGee
    Keith Higgins

Paul Murphy
    Colm Boyle
    Frank McGlynn

David Moran
    Odhran MacNiallas

Paul Flynn
    Ryan McHugh
    Diarmuid Connolly

Cillian O'Connor
    Michael Murphy
    James O'Donoghue

You cannot seriously blame Keith Higgins for the 2 penalties he scored...quite aside from the fact neither of them would have been awarded by a competent ref.

Paidi o shea gave up one point to his marker from play in ten all ireland finals.

K. higgins gave up 1 9 from play in two games. You can take away the penalties, fine. They were both stonewall penalties btw, and that leaves 1 9 mostly from play. Thats not all star material. You are totally blinkered. Jod waltzed through in the first game and put one wide and one over he would normally bury. K higgins is over rated

Paidi o shea gave up one point to his marker from play in ten all ireland finals.

K. higgins gave up 1 9 from play in two games. You can take away the penalties, fine. They were both stonewall penalties btw, and that leaves 1 9 mostly from play. Thats not all star material. You are totally blinkered. Jod waltzed through in the first game and put one wide and one over he would normally bury. K higgins is over rated

What on earth are you talking about? JOD only scored 4 points off Higgins from play in the replay. He scored 2-2 from frees and penalties.

Care to withdraw your "over-rated" remark now?

In any case, like I said the two penos wouldn't have been awarded by a competent ref, and in the first game, Donaghy put the goal on a plate for JOD.

If we were to follow your rationale, I could say JOD is over-rated, but I'm not like you thankfully.

Keith Higgins is far from over-rated. He was a top class footballer before anyone had ever heard of JOD.

I think Higgins is excellent but do think he's gotten too much praise over the two games.

Maybe people expect JOD to score every time he gets the ball or something. He did actually win the two pens he scored don't forget.

Tbf Higgins was a driving force when Mayo did have the ball ok.

I think Higgins is excellent but do think he's gotten too much praise over the two games.

Maybe people expect JOD to score every time he gets the ball or something. He did actually win the two pens he scored don't forget.

Tbf Higgins was a driving force when Mayo did have the ball ok.

I hate to repeat this, but JOD wouldn't win those penos in any other game. He was well marshalled in the first game until Donaghy put the goal on a plate.

He missed a couple of easy chances in both games and a certain goal in the first game. If we were to take a critical approach we'd say his finishing let him down on occassions.

Make no mistake, JOD is a good player, a great player and footballer of the year in my book. And Higgins did an outstanding job on him. Higgins has been the most consistant and outstanding player for Mayo over the last 5 or 6 years and in the country for that matter. Anyone says he's over-rated is having a laugh and doesn't know what they are talking about. Kerry and Mayo have both made it to the same number of AI finals in recent years, 2 each. So far this Kerry team's record is no better than Mayo's in recent years.

And there's one thing reaching a final, winning one is another matter totally. We will see how great this Kerry team are when it really counts.

Even if you granted that he wouldn't get either penalty, which very few people seem to think, Higgins still let him out of his sight for what, four clear goal chances? On top of 1-7 from play and however many scorable frees he won over the two games.

Higgins is the best CB in the country IMO but I wonder how much JOD would have had to do for people to say Higgins was decorated. Not that he was decorated but he was nowhere near breaking even.

Even if you granted that he wouldn't get either penalty, which very few people seem to think, Higgins still let him out of his sight for what, four clear goal chances? On top of 1-7 from play and however many scorable frees he won over the two games.

Higgins is the best CB in the country IMO but I wonder how much JOD would have had to do for people to say Higgins was decorated. Not that he was decorated but he was nowhere near breaking even.

Part of Higgins role is to start attacks from deep. He almost plays two games at once, defence and attack. JOD wouldn't know how to defend and only has to worry about one thing, getting past Higgins. So hardly surprising Higgins will get turned on occassion. The job Higgins gets asked to do in most games is almost impossible. He's up and down the field like a hare. And never seems to get subbed. He's far from over-rated, he's been central to Mayo success the last few years.

So far this year no defender in the country has been able to contain JOD. Higgins has probably done the best, but have to remember that was two games and a 6 day turnaround and Higgins probably ran more than anyone in the first game.

Part of Higgins role is to start attacks from deep. He almost plays two games at once, defence and attack. JOD wouldn't know how to defend and only has to worry about one thing, getting past Higgins. So hardly surprising Higgins will get turned on occassion. The job Higgins gets asked to do in most games is almost impossible. He's up and down the field like a hare. And never seems to get subbed. He's far from over-rated, he's been central to Mayo success the last few years.

So far this year no defender in the country has been able to contain JOD. Higgins has probably done the best, but have to remember that was two games and a 6 day turnaround and Higgins probably ran more than anyone in the first game.

I don't disagree with any of that really. Higgins did better than anyone this year head to head and def was involved in driving Mayo from the back as I mentioned earlier. He's brill at that.

At the moment I would be picking him for an All Star alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And if if Páidí was still playing would he still have only given up that amount?

The game is a completely different beast now.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Bizarre comment.

Advertisement