Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin v Donegal Sunday 31 August AI semifinal Mod Warning Posts #392 #541

Options
  • 26-08-2014 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

With all the attention going on to the Mayo Kerry replay,you could be forgiven for forgetting there is a huge other semi final on Sunday with Dublin and Donegal battling it out.

With Dublins current form and results so far this year,in theory at least it would seem that they should go on and win this,but Donegal are certainly not to be underestimated and will actually be delighted to be going in as the underdog.

Hopefully it's a good game of football and on the day may the best team win :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dublin by at least 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Although i hope it isn't like the 2011 game I can see Dublin edging this game.

I would exercise caution in saying it would be a cricket score. It will be the test that Dublin need if (when) they go to an AI final...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Dublin, the greatest side to ever play football to win by 40 points after they unleash the bench (tm) Who by themselves would probably win the all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dublin, the greatest side to ever play football to win by 40 points after they unleash the bench (tm) Who by themselves would probably win the all Ireland.

So yer confident of a Donegal win so ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

It's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Nidgeweasel, I'm feeling good about Sunday boys.

At the very least I really think our lads are going to give us one hell of a performance. They may not win, but it won't be for want of trying and I believe they will put every single thing they have into this one given the opposition. If it is to be the end, it will be a fitting one.

We haven't been given a prayer, JMG will be delighted.

Just for those that don't read the Donegal thread :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dublin County Board should send out for some decent silver polish and cloths because they're gonna be busy tarting up the Sam Maguire for the next year or two.

realies wrote: »

At the very least I really think our lads are going to give us one hell of a performance. They may not win, but it won't be for want of trying and I believe they will put every single thing they have into this one given the opposition. If it is to be the end, it will be a fitting one.

Because my post on this thread was entirely genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Its hard to see Dublin getting a score of much less than 20 points regardless of how defensive Donegal are and the way Donegal are playing this year I can't see them racking up that big a score.

Donegal need to move Michael Murphy into the full forward line.Although he does a decent job out the field his lack of pace will be exposed.If they played with McBrearty ,Murphy and McFadden in an orthodox full forward line and used the long ball more often Donegal might have a chance as Dublins full back line hasn't really been fully tested yet and they are all good ball winners and could create a few goals which they are going to need to get.

Donegal need to be more attacking in this match the overly defensive style is not going to be as effective as it is against other teams.The blanket defence was beaten by Dublin in 2011 when they started to run hard at Donegal and one thing Dublin are extremely good at these days is running hard.

Donegal need to improve alot to have any sort of a chance. I think they will up their game but I'd still fancy Dublin to win by 8 or 9 points.If Donegal continue their current form Dublin could give them the sort of hiding they have dished out to the rest of their opponents this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

realies wrote: »

Thats true of every team Dublin have played this year. Average winning margin has been 16 points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I hope Donegal give them a game and think they may be the first team to stay within 10 points of Dublin, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't more than 6 points in it at the end. I'd expect the final to be similarly handy for Dublin.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thats true of every team Dublin have played this year. Average winning margin has been 16 points.

There is a big difference between playing this Donegal side under McGuinness than playing Laois.

There is a big difference between playing this Donegal side under McGuinness than playing Laois.

Laois were the closest to Dublin all year, only 11 points in it and gave them plenty to think about early on.

McGuinness' dogma of restricting the other team from scoring in a purely defensive formation will not suffice on Sunday. Under his current system this will be a damage limitation exercise. It would be nice to see an expansive game from Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

DoctaDee wrote: »
    It would be nice to see an expansive game from Donegal

Why?

Laois were the closest to Dublin all year, only 11 points in it and gave them plenty to think about early on.

McGuinness' dogma of restricting the other team from scoring in a purely defensive formation will not suffice on Sunday. Under his current system this will be a damage limitation exercise. It would be nice to see an expansive game from Donegal

That's why I used them as my example. They done quite well against Dublin and we're better.

There's an awful amount of guff being bandied about at the minute. There will be no annihilation on Sunday and I fully expect Donegal to equip themselves very we against this Dublin team.

Listening to some of the clowns around and in the papers we'd be as not turn up such is the hiding we are in for.

A nonsense. On the balance of probabilities Dublin are the more likely victors, it would be churlish to suggest otherwise. That being said, Donegal won't be a stroll in the park for the dubs and should be approached with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

That's why I used them as my example. They done quite well against Dublin and we're better.

There's an awful amount of guff being bandied about at the minute. There will be no annihilation on Sunday and I fully expect Donegal to equip themselves very we against this Dublin team.

Listening to some of the clowns around and in the papers we'd be as not turn up such is the hiding we are in for.

A nonsense. On the balance of probabilities Dublin are the more likely victors, it would be churlish to suggest otherwise. That being said, Donegal won't be a stroll in the park for the dubs and should be approached with caution.

Donegal have not met a decent team yet, and McFadden is not capable of scoring many points anymore, even when they get the ball to him, and they can't. Donegal rely on the blanket defence and three/four key players. The rest of their football is exceedingly mediocre. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Donegal have not met a decent team yet, and McFadden is not capable of scoring many points anymore, even when they get the ball to him, and they can't. Donegal rely on the blanket defence and three/four key players. The rest of their football is exceedingly mediocre. <snip>

I wonder will Donegal even bother turning up. There doesn't appear to be any point from what you say. I suppose it would be bad form to give a walkover in an All Ireland semi final and it would cost the GAA a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Donegal are loving been written of by the media, they will come and perform. It will be a tight game. Dublin will hopefully prevail.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Why?
    Because if they don't commit numbers forward they'll invite Dublin onto them, there's only so long that you can play a game chasing players down. I wouldn't discount a Donegal win, but the balance of probabilities with the respective playing styles of each team would suggest to me that they will struggle to put the scores up.

Saying you're better than Laois is not quite understanding the full concept of Laois' strategy. I've no doubt Donegal would put a good few points on Laois, but Laois in fairness set up to attack Dublin, which isn't something that's likely Sunday. They contested all Cluxton kick outs 1st half, left a forward line of Munnelly & Conway with Donie Kingston playing out between the 21 and 45. Weight of numbers eventually told and in hindsight the 11 point deficit and decent performance on the day was to be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Because if they don't commit numbers forward they'll invite Dublin onto them, there's only so long that you can play a game chasing players down. I wouldn't discount a Donegal win, but the balance of probabilities with the respective playing styles of each team would suggest to me that they will struggle to put the scores up.

Saying you're better than Laois is not quite understanding the full concept of Laois' strategy. I've no doubt Donegal would put a good few points on Laois, but Laois in fairness set up to attack Dublin, which isn't something that's likely Sunday. They contested all Cluxton kick outs 1st half, left a forward line of Munnelly & Conway with Donie Kingston playing out between the 21 and 45. Weight of numbers eventually told and in hindsight the 11 point deficit and decent performance on the day was to be applauded.

There is a fallacy that Dublin are an all out attacking team, something they certainly aren't. Against Monaghan there were times when they played 12 men behind the ball and hit Monaghan on the break. Where Dublin excel is in getting players forward at pace and they commit numbers to attack.
    However I expect Sunday's game to be a cagey affair early on. You can expect Paul Flynn to drop back at every opportunity to protect the Dublin full back line. Donegal need to be economical with the ball and make every opportunity count. They also have to counteract the mobility of the Dublin midfielders and use Neil Gallagher intelligently as he doesn't have the legs for McAuley or O'Sullivan. There is a danger that Dublin could run away with the game but if Donegal can frustrate them long enough they can ask questions of this Dublin team that have yet to be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Unfortunately, cannot see anything but a convincing Dublin win. We are a shadow of the team that won in 2012, all the players were on song then and not too many weak spots. Whereas now, were carrying players, some not 100% fit and nowhere near as attacking.
    Can honestly see a mauling like the Mayo game last year. Only hope we have, is probably revert back to the 2011 tactics and hope for more scores this time.
    Hope I am totally wrong but am afraid I will be proved right..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

An expansive game from Donegal might well suit Dublin :)

Equally, if you say that if we will struggle to put up scores playing defensively, well then why wouldn't a Dublin supporter want that?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    An expansive game from Donegal might well suit Dublin :)

Equally, if you say that if we will struggle to put scores playing defensively, well then why wouldn't a Dublin supporter want that?

LOL .. I'm damned if I do and damned if I dont !

But seriously, it seems that all of Donegal are putting their faith in Jim finding a way to curtail Dublin defensively. It just begs the question to me that if things don't go as planned early on for Donegal that they won't have the scope to change strategy ?

If they have to push the panic button and commit big numbers forward they will ship a big score, but if they set out early to place 2-3 players in advanced positions it will still give defensive solidity but with enough manpower to occupy the Dublin back 6 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

You've spoken before about how Dublin have been planning for this game for a long time. The opposite is also true. Donegal have known for a long time that they would be likely to face Dublin at some stage in the Championship. They've been preparing for this game.

Most of us agree that Donegal will have to contest Cluxton's kickouts otherwise we'll have continuous uncontested possession in our own half on Sunday. Most of us agree that Dublin will eventually find a way through the defensive blanket that we are likely to encounter. Most of us also agree that McFadden is not playing at his high standards of 2012 and in all likelihood won't score enough himself. I think it's quite likely that JMG can also see these points. It may be that the Donegal we see on Sunday will surprise us. I don't believe that we'll see Michael Murphy filling in at full back on Sunday. They know they have to use him further up the pitch. I'm not suggesting that we'll get into a free flowing contest devoid of defensive responsibility, but I don't think we'll see 15 Donegal players in their own half on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

If they have to push the panic button and commit big numbers forward they will ship a big score, but if they set out early to place 2-3 players in advanced positions it will still give defensive solidity but with enough manpower to occupy the Dublin back 6 ?

Didn't see this before my last post. We are broadly in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Donegal will need to improve their attack to have a hope in this game*, their shooting has not been upto scratch, and keeping Dublin to low scores only will work if they can sneak a few in at the other end.

It may be horrific to watch, but I'm guessing it'll be close and exciting.

* I wouldn't discount the possibility of a mighty ducks style V attacking formation as the new JMcG strategy

Grudaire wrote: »
    Donegal will need to improve their attack to have a hope in this game*, their shooting has not been upto scratch, and keeping Dublin to low scores only will work if they can sneak a few in at the other end.

It may be horrific to watch, but I'm guessing it'll be close and exciting.

* I wouldn't discount the possibility of a mighty ducks style V attacking formation as the new JMcG strategy

The two McGees are well capable of their own 'Knuckle Puck' (Or was it knuckle punch) if the occasion calls for it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I can't see anything but an easy win for the jacks, 2.19 to 11 points, I think the dknegals will keep it close for the first 20 but that will be the end of it,

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Look at what happened last year against the mayos, Donegal can 've totally opened up by a top team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Look at what happened last year against the mayos, Donegal can 've totally opened up by a top team

Coming off the back of a first AI for 20 years and carrying lots of injuries. You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Donegal lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement