Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

We now have a post up on our website with loads of useful information on parking and buses travelling to the match in Limerick. Info is being updated on an hourly basis as we get more information.

mayoclub51.com/we-go-again-and-heres-how-to-get-there/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Bought terrace tickets online and have to collect them at the box office..anyone know where this is located in relation to the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

K4t wrote: »
    Bought terrace tickets online and have to collect them at the box office..anyone know where this is located in relation to the ground?

There is a small ticket office located behind the Mackey Stand at the corner of the City End Terrace but I don't know for sure if this is what tickets.ie will be using on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Get off their arses?

Take a guess how many years in the last 20 that Kerry have failed to play in Croke Park?

94, 95, 99

17 years of at least 1 game.

97, 00 (x2), 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11 They Played in the Final. That's 11 Finals.

Which means 12 Semi Finals (Replays in 2 years) + 96, 98, 01, 03, 13, 14 = 18 Semi Finals

Quarter Finals Every Year since inception in 2001 (plus 1 replay 2001) = 15

11+18+15 = 44 Games in Croke Park in 20 years. I'd say my family has spent the guts of 15 grand following Kerry football for the last 20 years with travel, tickets, food whatever. Thats a conservative estimate. Also that's just championship. That doesn't take in the league.

Hardly any of my friends go to the Dublin matches anymore, not because they don't want to, but simply because the cost of it has outweighed the enjoyment for them. They've seen All Ireland wins, and great games, and great players. They don't get the same buzz out of watching the current team, so they cannot justify spending hundreds a year going up and down to Croke Park. They go to the Munster Finals and First round games, even some of the league games, but away trips are so costly now.

That's why the chance to take an hour and a half spin to Limerick, with a cheaper ticket, in an unfamiliar venue has more Kerry people looking to go to the match.

Exactly "they don't get the same buzz out of the current team". So it's not all do with finance but apathy is a major factor I'd imagine.
    Fair enough with your maths on the cost but if you were add up figures of what you've spent on anything over the last 20 years then it's going to look like a big number.
    Also, it's Kerry to Dublin 3 times a year - if your team is lucky enough to reach the final - it's not New York you're travelling to.

3 trips every summer isn't much for a supporter. Look at football teams, how many away games do they play every year, no need to blow it out if proportion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

No it's not
    You are not automatically disenfranchising 7k
    There are 7K that are unlikely to go anyway

I have been looking for the attendance at the Mayo v Fermanagh replay from 2004
    The first game had 65K odd, but I cannot find the replay attendance

Can anyone find it, I'd be interested to see what it was

That's hardly an even comparison, the snore fest of Mayo vs Fermanagh compared to last Sunday's game which was lauded as game of the season between two good teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

We now have a post up on our website with loads of useful information on parking and buses travelling to the match in Limerick. Info is being updated on an hourly basis as we get more information.

mayoclub51.com/we-go-again-and-heres-how-to-get-there/

That link is very informative...thanks.

Anybody know a spot about 3 miles north of the Gaelic Ground that one can park,stroll out and in to.Want to make a quick getaway back to Mayo...hopefully without my tail between my legs.:D I reckon parking in the car park opposite McDonalds in close proximity will mean a half an hour stuck in Limerick traffic.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

seligehgit wrote: »
    That link is very informative...thanks.

Anybody know a spot about 3 miles north of the Gaelic Ground that one can park,stroll out and in to.What to make a quick getaway back to Mayo...hopefully without my tail between my legs.:D I reckon parking in the car park opposite McDonalds in close proximity will mean a half an hour stuck in Limerick traffic.:(

Do you intend to arrive very early?

feargale wrote: »

Yeah defo feargale

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Went to thurles for both games in 2001.
    The earlier you arrive the more comfortable day you will have.

Yeah defo feargale

You have to negotiate 4 roundabouts after you come off the motorway. About 300-400 metres from the last roundabout the Greenhills Hotel is on your left. You actually have to pass it to turn left into it. The Greenhills is about half a mile from the Gaelic Grounds, and has limited parking, about 50-70 cars, I would think, so you would need to arrive very early to avail of it. If there's no room there, the Caherdavin housing estate surrounds it. The Caherdavin inhabitants are decent folk and I think your car would be reasonably secure there, provided you don't antagonise a resident by parking in front of his house. There is also a small part of the Caherdavin estate on the other side of the road ( on your right coming in ) which includes the renowned Na Piarsaigh GAA club, which would leave you on the correct side for going home. There are new traffic lights which alleviate that situation but I can't tell you whether they govern the Greenhills exit or the Caherdavin small estate exit.
    Nearer to the Gaelic Grounds, turning right at Caherdavin Cross, there is a tiny carpark behind Ivan's shop, which takes about 12 cars, leaving you just about 400 metres from the grounds. But I would worry that some yob might arrive there and double park hemming you in. For reference Ivan's shop closed recently.
    Across the road from Ivan's there is a scheme of four or five shops back from the main road, fronting the Caherdavin estate, again about 400 metres from the grounds with parking for about 20 cars, but again it leaves you at the wrong side for going home

• Advertisement

Yeah defo feargale

All in all I would have a preference for parking at the Greenhills or in the small part of the Caherdavin estate on your right.

If you have an hour or two to kill the Greenhills provides tolerable sustenance, both liquid and solid. About 100 metres at the far side ( city side ) of the grounds there is the Woodfield House Hotel which does likewise, normally a classy little place, though, being on the city side you might have to endure some Kerry triumphalism. And Woodfield, being small, might be very crowded. Good luck to the green above the red.

Sorry I should have said 4 roundabouts, not two. I've corrected it. And correspondingly I should have said the last roundabout, as now amended in bold, not the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

All in all I would have a preference for parking at the Greenhills or in the small part of the Caherdavin estate on your right.

If you have an hour or two to kill the Greenhills provides tolerable sustenance, both liquid and solid. About 100 metres at the far side ( city side ) of the grounds there is the Woodfield House Hotel which does likewise, normally a classy little place, though, being on the city side you might have to endure some Kerry triumphalism. And Woodfield, being small, might be very crowded. Good luck to the green above the red.

Thanks for the info.... Great to get knowledgeable advice!

Yeah thanks a mill feargale Greenhills it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

You have to negotiate 4 roundabouts after you come off the motorway. About 300-400 metres from the second roundabout the Greenhills Hotel is on your left. You actually have to pass it to turn left into it. The Greenhills is about half a mile from the Gaelic Grounds, and has limited parking, about 50-70 cars, I would think, so you would need to arrive very early to avail of it. If there's no room there, the Caherdavin housing estate surrounds it. The Caherdavin inhabitants are decent folk and I think your car would be reasonably secure there, provided you don't antagonise a resident by parking in front of his house. There is also a small part of the Caherdavin estate on the other side of the road ( on your right coming in ) which includes the renowned Na Piarsaigh GAA club, which would leave you on the correct side for going home. There are new traffic lights which alleviate that situation but I can't tell you whether they govern the Greenhills exit or the Caherdavin small estate exit.
    Nearer to the Gaelic Grounds, turning right at Caherdavin Cross, there is a tiny carpark behind Ivan's shop, which takes about 12 cars, leaving you just about 400 metres from the grounds. But I would worry that some yob might arrive there and double park hemming you in. For reference Ivan's shop closed recently.
    Across the road from Ivan's there is a scheme of four or five shops back from the main road, fronting the Caherdavin estate, again about 400 metres from the grounds with parking for about 20 cars, but again it leaves you at the wrong side for going home

Thanks a million feargale, very helpful information.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Do not park at Ivans, a lot of cars were clamped there during a rugby match in April 4 months after shop closed. Same crowd will try and make a quick buck on Saturday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89722204

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Michael Geaney Dingle
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Same team as the last day.

Will be interesting to see how the subs strategy works out compared to the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any word on keegans appeal

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Shane Enright Tarbert
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Michael Geaney Dingle
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion

Same team as the last day.

Will be interesting to see how the subs strategy works out compared to the last day.

Colm Parkinson has just stated on Off The Ball that Stephen O Brien will not be fit to start.Just releasing the same team but will not line out as selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Colm Parkinson has just stated on Off The Ball that Stephen O Brien will not be fit to start.Just releasing the same team but will not line out as selected.

No question. I'll be very surprised if Donaghy doesn't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

What time are people planning on leaving for the match? I assume there will be bad delays in Claregalway, Clarinbridge and then in Limerick itself. Trying to figure out what time is early enough to go.

• Advertisement

The day I listen to Colm Parkinson's opinion on anything will be the same day my family can have me declared legally brain dead.

Kerry have been gambling with starting players who weren't fully fit all year in championship games and I'd be sure that the management team are doing the same with O'Brien, especially given how much bother he had the Mayo defence in when he was on and also the lack of alternative options in the squad to play a similar role -Darran would be the obvious other option in terms of pace but he's in an even worse place than o'Brien in terms of fitness issues.

keane2097 wrote: »
    No question. I'll be very surprised if Donaghy doesn't start.

Pull the other one - he's played no league game and has played less than 20 minutes in the 3 games of the championship he featured in.

Last sub in the Clare game, last sub in the Cork game, didnt get off the bench in the Galway game, 4th sub in the last Mayo game (in the last 10 minutes) and he's going to start now. Can't see it making sense.

Padkir wrote: »
    What time are people planning on leaving for the match? I assume there will be bad delays in Claregalway, Clarinbridge and then in Limerick itself. Trying to figure out what time is early enough to go.

Usually takes around two and half hours to travel to Limerick in my case but I'm giving myself loads of time,nothing major on ...so I'll amble off around 11 or 12 park up and meet my fellow season ticket holder at my ease.

Usually takes around two and half hours to travel to Limerick in my case but I'm giving myself loads of time,nothing major on ...so I'll amble off around 11 or 12 park up and meet my fellow season ticket holder at my ease.

Yeah, a few are leaving from Ballindine and then meeting me in Galway and we're driving in 1 car from there.

So was planning on telling them to leave around 12.15 or 12.30 or so. Even if they hit traffic in Claregalway, we should be leaving Galway before 2; even if it takes 2 hours to get down and parked up there should still be loads of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

theres a gay pride parade in the City which apparently has alot of streets shut off...could cause traffic mayham.

Padkir wrote: »
    Yeah, a few are leaving from Ballindine and then meeting me in Galway and we're driving in 1 car from there.

So was planning on telling them to leave around 12.15 or 12.30 or so. Even if they hit traffic in Claregalway, we should be leaving Galway before 2; even if it takes 2 hours to get down and parked up there should still be loads of time!

Always head the Headford road to Galway rather than via Claregalway route,equidistant for me.Much quicker and although I'll have an extra bit to travel,I'll hopefully avoid the worst excesses of that Claregalway nightmare scenario.Dreading that small section including Clarenbridge before the Gort bypass.

Always head the Headford road to Galway rather than via Claregalway route,equidistant for me.Much quicker and although I'll have an extra bit to travel,I'll hopefully avoid the worst excesses of that Claregalway nightmare scenario.Dreading that small section including Clarenbridge before the Gort bypass.

Yeah that was my preferred route too but the girlfriend's mother is driving and wouldn't be too keen on the windy backroads across Kilmaine / Shrule / Headford. Won't matter as long as I tell them to get on the road early enough!

Anyway; enough digression! Can't wait for the match. Was extremely nervous heading into the 1st game but, having seen what both teams can do, I'm a shade more confident this time. Not that I think that it won't be a really tight game, but I suppose I didn't know what Kerry would be like against a team like us so now they're not as much of an unknown entity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Keegan cleared

Kalyke wrote: »
    Keegan cleared

Ah that gladdens my heart!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Absolute disgrace.

Whats the point in having a rule book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement