Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Final score Dublin 2-6 Louth 0-8. Our number 25 (Watson?) scoring 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Final score Dublin 2-6 Louth 0-8. Our number 25 (Watson?) scoring 2-1.

Danny Watson St. Annes ?

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Danny Watson St. Annes ?

I had no team sheet with subs on it but it was him I'd say. Banged in a cracker for number 1 following a blissful over the top pass and outran two lads for number 2 smashing it into the net from the ground. Supersub stuff, we were awful flat without him and Jonny Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

Danny Watson St. Annes ?

Yip, what an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

.... and Philly McM starts at centre forward tonight :rolleyes:

I KNOW ! I don't know who was more confused at him playing there, me or Philly. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cooper was great when he came on, that Watson lad missed the best goal chance he had, he fairly stuck the other two, his point was our second best IMHO, thought that lad I think it was Martin was decent enough at no 9.
    Keenan was quite for Louth.

I like George at no 3, but he had a far better first half, made some poor calls to leave his man in the second half, he's strong, likes to set his man up for the shoulders.

The ref seemed at sea with the black card, Nelson got one for what looked like a late hand in the face, them Keenan did the same to Cooper but got a yellow, cynical stuff from both sides got yellow cards, it's early days on the black card alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cooper was great when he came on, that Watson lad missed the best goal chance he had, he fairly stuck the other two, his point was our second best IMHO, thought that lad I think it was Martin was decent enough at no 9.

I like George at no 3, but he had a far better first half, made some poor calls to leave his man in the second half, he's strong, likes to set his man up for the shoulders.

The ref seemed at sea with the black card, Nelson got one for what looked like a late hand in the face, them Keenan did the same to Cooper but got a yellow, cynical stuff from both sides got yellow cards, it's early days on the black card alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Lads, bit off topic from the match last night but I was just about to book a hotel in Mayo for the Dubs V Mayo league match on the 29th March but the listings are saying the match is to be played in Croke park.

We played Mayo in Croker last year, or am I mad!!! The year before was the cancelled match due to fog in Mayo. Am I missing a year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I KNOW ! I don't know who was more confused at him playing there, me or Philly. :p
    Stoner wrote: »

LOL... Philly with Kickhams anyway has a lot more football in him than he's given credit for ... but centre forward ... not even he would've expected that !!
    I didn't get up last night.. emmm I got home "late" from Mullingar and with the young lad not wanting to head up, my travel pass was revoked :o Seems by all accounts to have been a very disjointed affair. Fair play to George he was very assured last Sunday and appears to have been again last night ... his only problem is minding the jersey for ROC (he would've been a nailed on certainty if he'd stuck with Laois :)

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Lads, bit off topic from the match last night but I was just about to book a hotel in Mayo for the Dubs V Mayo league match on the 29th March but the listings are saying the match is to be played in Croke park.

We played Mayo in Croker last year, or am I mad!!! The year before was the cancelled match due to fog in Mayo. Am I missing a year :D

You're not, 2012 was McHale Park (twice :D) and 2013 was Croker. It should be McHale Park again this year but the GAA have it down as being in Croke Park. There's also the Mayo GAA blog which lists the same thing. Perhaps there's some redevelopment in McHale park that weekend or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

You're not, 2012 was McHale Park (twice :D) and 2013 was Croker. It should be McHale Park again this year but the GAA have it down as being in Croke Park. There's also the Mayo GAA blog which lists the same thing. Perhaps there's some redevelopment in McHale park that weekend or something?

Fixtures are re-done every 2 years so it's not always home 1 year and away the next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Yeah seen it on their home page for fixtures also. So our away fixtures are DERRY, TYRONE and WESTMEATH. Darn, don't see any over nights there that interest me... Day trips it is this year so...

AGC wrote: »
    Fixtures are re-done every 2 years so it's not always home 1 year and away the next

Cheers, had no idea that's the way it was done
    Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Yeah seen it on their home page for fixtures also. So our away fixtures are DERRY, TYRONE and WESTMEATH. Darn, don't see any over nights there that interest me... Day trips it is this year so...

Pick up a hurling season ticket along with the football, then you've an overnighter in Galway, Waterford or Tipperary too :D

Yep. Fixtures are on a two year cycle of being home and away. 2014 is the start of a new cycle. It can't be done on a straight back to back basis, due to the relegation & promotion of two counties into and out of every division every year. It works out that each county gets the same amount of home and away games over the two years. (Unless they are Kildare. :P ) It just may not look like it sometimes, when a county has a home game at the end of one cycle (such as Dublin/Mayo in Croker in 2013) and then has the same one at the start of the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Stoner wrote: »

Cooper was excellent in the second half, full of energy and commitment. The first 30 mins was turgid stuff. They defended well but we couldn't hit a barn door. Even the point we scored, although well worked, I felt Whelan would go for goal and miss. That being said the rain was awful.

Second half was much better. Hudson pointed a couple of nice frees, super point from Carthy, and some great finishing from Watson. Sean George looks like someone who could be a bit special, he has a bit of the hardman in him. But relatively cool and unruffled at the same time. Does he have the pace to deal with top class forwards?

Any word on Chris Guckian? He pulled up awfully sharp with what I suspect was a hamstring issue midway through the second half.

I've just noticed that our league matches for football are taking place in HQ while hurling is confined to Parnell Park this year with no double-headers. This got me thinking about a mid-sized stadium and I found out that back in 2011 Dublin GAA launched their new 2011-2017 strategy which included a proposal to building a new mid-sized stadium. I'd be fairly sure somebody put the kabosh on this because we're into 2014 and I can't find anything on it. Anybody have any news or recent progress reports on that initiative or the strategy itself?

I've just noticed that our league matches for football are taking place in HQ while hurling is confined to Parnell Park this year with no double-headers. This got me thinking about a mid-sized stadium and I found out that back in 2011 Dublin GAA launched their new 2011-2017 strategy which included a proposal to building a new mid-sized stadium. I'd be fairly sure somebody put the kabosh on this because we're into 2014 and I can't find anything on it. Anybody have any news or recent progress reports on that initiative or the strategy itself?

Was the proposal to do it in Tallaght?

If it was that between SDCC, Thomas Davis and Shamrock Rovers the whole thing ended up in court and turned out the municipal ground would not accommodate GAA

Was the proposal to do it in Tallaght?

If it was that between SDCC, Thomas Davis and Shamrock Rovers the whole thing ended up in court and turned out the municipal ground would not accommodate GAA

No, the proposal was a green field site or similar identified with the help of NAMA on the outskirts of Dublin for a ~25-30,000 seater. I thought the Thomas Davis/Rovers thing was settled way back in 2007 and happened when it was being built

No, the proposal was a green field site or similar identified with the help of NAMA on the outskirts of Dublin for a ~25-30,000 seater. I thought the Thomas Davis/Rovers thing was settled way back in 2007 and happened when it was being built

Maybe. Thought SDCC/GAA would have liked Tallaght as the venue but the Sports Minister told them to look towards Rathcoole or somewhere.

• Advertisement

Past30Now wrote: »
    Hudson pointed a couple of nice frees, super point from Carthy, and some great finishing from Watson
    Was that Carthy or Martin, was it the point from distance after a nice dummy from number 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Falconno4

The site was in Rathcoole.

Team for today against DCU

Half time, Dublin 0-6 DCU 1-03.

The midfield of O'Mahony and Carthy are poor, for 30 minutes solid I don't remember recovering possession from a breaking ball or kick out. It's an area I far too often see myself commenting on in the last few years though I know it's only pre-season.

Whelan, McMahon and McMenamin are playing well off each other with some good chances at the net. Costello has had some wild shots from afar costing us a few points. Nice to get a look at the likes of Lowndes and Dawson though the latter has been quiet

A horrible last 10 minutes results in a loss. DCU 3-8, Dublin 0-16

Yeah, the wheels kinda fell off there in the last 10 minutes. Oh well, at least the players get to experience something they have probably never seen before. A pissed off Jim Gavin. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really poor last 10, backs got really really isolated and such a stupid thing to do by Flynner, should know better

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Really poor last 10, backs got really really isolated and such a stupid thing to do by Flynner, should know better

What did you see? It happened right in front of me and I didn't see a thing. The ref sure did though, straight up to him and a straight red. Guessing he threw a dig?

I think Rory O'Carroll can feel hard done by for the black card. From what I saw it was a 50-50 ball and he went in with the hands and the DCU player came out the victor but was tripped. It was a foul and I expected a yellow. It don't think it was deliberate and that's key here - the refs are using the black card instead of yellows in some situations. It changed our match, Sean George had been replaced already because he wasn't having a fantastic match and he was forced to come back on after O'Carroll was dismissed, leaving us at a disadvantage. Flynner didn't help matters at all either.

In the 20 minutes Daniel Watson was on after replacing Kev he got the ball 3 times (shot twice, one goal mouth wide and one point). The quantity and quality of ball was in the last 20 minutes was very poor.

I hope Jim tears them out of it, they should have had that game sewn up and shored up the defence to stop leaking goals. A bad end to the O'Byrne Cup this year.

At least we've next Sunday's Walsh Cup match to look forward to in the Neller against UCD, who beat Carlow today

I hope Jim tears them out of it, they should have had that game sewn up and shored up the defence to stop leaking goals. A bad end to the O'Byrne Cup this year.

So do I & I think he will. He often talks about character in interviews & of how proud he is of the lads playing for the full 70 plus minutes & never giving up, or lowering the intensity levels. After the AI final, he singled out the league game against Donegal as one of the most important games of the year, as it showed the true grit & work ethic of the team. So I wouldn't like to be in their shoes, if he thinks that any of them took their foot of the gas going into the final quarter, when we were up by 5 or 6 pts.

Not cruising to victory in the O'Byrne Cup, could turn out to be a very good thing for us, if the squad gets a collective kick in the hole in January, that they remember all year long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What did you see? It happened right in front of me and I didn't see a thing. The ref sure did though, straight up to him and a straight red. Guessing he threw a dig?

I think Rory O'Carroll can feel hard done by for the black card. From what I saw it was a 50-50 ball and he went in with the hands and the DCU player came out the victor but was tripped. It was a foul and I expected a yellow. It don't think it was deliberate and that's key here - the refs are using the black card instead of yellows in some situations. It changed our match, Sean George had been replaced already because he wasn't having a fantastic match and he was forced to come back on after O'Carroll was dismissed, leaving us at a disadvantage. Flynner didn't help matters at all either.

In the 20 minutes Daniel Watson was on after replacing Kev he got the ball 3 times (shot twice, one goal mouth wide and one point). The quantity and quality of ball was in the last 20 minutes was very poor.

At least we've next Sunday's Walsh Cup match to look forward to in the Neller against UCD, who beat Carlow today

Yeah was a dig to the ribs,DCU guy didnt make a meal of it but the punch was thrown. Think it was more of a wild swing than anything else but very bery stupid. I am sure worse were thrown during the two pile ups, but still think he deserved to go, you cannot do that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement