Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Hard to see how the six best forwards are KK players out of the two teams as well. Leahne would start for KK ahead of Colin Fennelly in my estimation on current form.

Colin isn't getting his game ahead of Ger Alyward who on form is ahead of all the cork front 6. And ok I'd have O'Neill ahead of paddy hogan or fogarty. Still it is only a handful at best you could consider from the cork team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

adrian522 wrote: »
    So what changes would you have to the Cork team? I thought it looked pretty strong but I haven't seen much of them this year admittedly.

None, that is the best team Cork hurling can put out as of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Pudders wrote: »
    I agree. I'd struggle to pick any of those to make the KK team other than Nash.May sound arrogant but anyone name someone in the KK team to drop for any of the above. Sad to see Cork hurling in the state it is.
    I'm curious as to how the standard/general health of Cork hurling would be viewed outside of Cork. I ask, because I believe hurling in the county is in serious trouble given the underage record/secondary school demise since 2000. Yet I read Pat Daly,of Croke Park,, a few days ago talking about how KK/Tipp/Cork will always be strong at hurling ect. It seems Cork's decline isn't really being highlighted enough for anything to be done about it. Or maybe mushrooms will spring fort from somewhere?

I'm curious as to how the standard/general health of Cork hurling would be viewed outside of Cork. I ask, because I believe hurling in the county is in serious trouble given the underage record/secondary school demise since 2000. Yet I read Pat Daly,of Croke Park,, a few days ago talking about how KK/Tipp/Cork will always be strong at hurling ect. It seems Cork's decline isn't really being highlighted enough for anything to be done about it. Or maybe mushrooms will spring fort from somewhere?

Another lad stuck in the dark ages. Must be a good friend of Frankeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

adrian522 wrote: »
    So what changes would you have to the Cork team? I thought it looked pretty strong but I haven't seen much of them this year admittedly.
    There is not many other options available.Egan will be a big loss to us, and the fact Murphy is not a full back there is a weakness their. Riche Hogan or if Walter Walsh starts will cause him problems.No better team around than KK to exploit a weakness.
    The other main problem for Cork is the half forward line.Paudie Sul is Corks leading forward but is no threat 40 yards from goal.The half forward line bar Cian Mccarthy does not look like it will win much ball and KK half back line will be a severe test for them.If KK dominate here the Cork defence will be under severe pressure as they will be under constant attack.
    Paudie Sullivan has always performed well against KK ,he created the penalty in 2011 when we made a great comeback, he should be in the full forward line instead of Patrick Horgan.

• Advertisement

This talk of Mushrooms in Cork Hurling ,that hurlers will be produced overnight is never going happen.Long gone are the days when Cork can think its Cork and it will just happen .
    These thoughts and the views that the Cork County Board have that Cork have no right to win All irelands and it comes in cycles and that Corks hurling turmoil is just part of life is rubbish.KK have earned the right with the proper structures in place to be where they are today.And credit due to them for that.Cork are no where near solving the underage crisis in Cork hurling.They dont think a crisis even exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Orizio wrote: »
    Whats strong about it exactly.

^^^^^

Gimmick needs freshening up.

This talk of Mushrooms in Cork Hurling ,that hurlers will be produced overnight is never going happen.Long gone are the days when Cork can think its Cork and it will just happen .
    These thoughts and the views that the Cork County Board have that Cork have no right to win All irelands and it comes in cycles and that Corks hurling turmoil is just part of life is rubbish.KK have earned the right with the proper structures in place to be where they are today.And credit due to them for that.Cork are no where near solving the underage crisis in Cork hurling.They dont think a crisis even exists.

Its so sad because its true. Can you imagine the reaction in KK if they went 15 yr without reaching an U21 final? If hurling in St Kierans totally collapsed like the Mon. If they won 2 provincial senior club titles in 25 yrs+. Minors 12 yrs without a title. Minewhile in Cork the silence is deathly.

^^^^^

Gimmick needs freshening up.

There is nothing 'strong' about that Cork team, and no one in Cork will tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

There is nothing 'strong' about that Cork team, and no one in Cork will tell you otherwise.
    They're competing as well as anyone in the division atm in fairness.

And your opinion would hold more weight now if you hadn't been saying the exact same thing since about 1927.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

i think cork are the poorest side in munster, i honestly dunno where they are going to get hurlers from, when you have guys who would be recognised as hurlers defleting to the football panel it says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Kilkenny Team v Cork

EOIN MURPHY
    CONOR FOGARTY
    J.J. DELANEY
    JACKIE TYRRELL
    TOMMY WALSH
    BRIAN HOGAN
    KIERAN JOYCE
    LESTER RYAN
    MICHAEL FENNELLY
    WALTER WALSH
    EOIN LARKIN
    RICHIE HOGAN
    GER AYLWARD
    COLIN FENNELLY
    AIDAN FOGARTY

They're competing as well as anyone in the division atm in fairness.

...its the league.

Are you going to explain how it is a strong Cork side or not.
    And your opinion would hold more weight now if you hadn't been saying the exact same thing since about 1927.

Please leave the personal stuff out, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Kilkenny Team v Cork

EOIN MURPHY
    CONOR FOGARTY
    J.J. DELANEY
    JACKIE TYRRELL
    TOMMY WALSH
    BRIAN HOGAN
    KIERAN JOYCE
    LESTER RYAN
    MICHAEL FENNELLY
    WALTER WALSH
    EOIN LARKIN
    RICHIE HOGAN
    GER AYLWARD
    COLIN FENNELLY
    AIDAN FOGARTY

Any word on Power/Rice?

Totally agree.Cork have some very talented players but as a team are weak in key positions that make up the spine of the team.And this team still plays as indivuals rather than a team espiceally in the forwards.Nash,Cronin,O Neill are the only ones that are all proven at this level.There are many other promising talents but have yet to do it at this level to be deemed strong.Brian Murphy is not a Fullback,centre back while talented is raw and inexpierenced,we have no Centre or Full forward who can dominate a centre or Full back and gets the best out of Moylan,Paudie Sullivan and O Farell etc.
    Lehane may be the great white hope of the future but hes form is woeful and Sunday will tell us if he is still a boy in a mans world.
    Remember what Moore of Galway done him last year in the semifinal,it will be nothing like the test walsh will.put to him.
    And the league so far is not a great indicator.Last year Cork looked awseome but in the final were miles off.
    Sunday is a true test as it is at the business end of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

phkk wrote: »
    Any word on Power/Rice?

Both listed as subs so might get an appearance in the 2nd half. Glad to see colin and wally back in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Are you going to explain how it is a strong Cork side or not.

If you want to discuss Cork use the Cork thread, not this 1, thanks.

Clareman wrote: »
    If you want to discuss Cork use the Cork thread, not this 1, thanks.

Feel free to warn Adrian and the others as well then, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Feel free to warn Adrian and the others as well then, thanks.

In fairness, there's a difference between discussing the cork team in relation to the match coming up, and ranting and raving about cork underage structures on a kk thread. One is immediately relevant to kk and the other isn't. One person even pointed out that cork are doing well in the league (thus pointing out that they are potentially strong opposition for tomorrow) and you responded that its just the league (but what other context are we discussing cork on this thread for). obviously there's a difference between discussing cork v kk and derailing the thread to accommodate your favourite subject because one thread isn't enough to contain your righteous indignation about your incompetent shambles of a county board.

anyway as to our team, I think its strong, looking forward to seeing walsh again, and if our half backs play to potential and improve the quality of ball the forwards are getting, we can capitalise and steer clear of the danger zone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd be pretty concerned about tomorrow, Cork are capable of beating us, and I'm not mad about the team that's been selected. Whoever wins this is into the semi's and whoever loses could well be looking at a relegation play off.

Personally I'd be much happier with Power in the team, and I'd like to see Michael Rice given another 60 mins or so.

Hopefully it's a good game anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I really really can't see past Kilkenny. The league has been tight to date, but something has to give. Reckon Kilkenny should win by 5 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I really really can't see past Kilkenny. The league has been tight to date, but something has to give. Reckon Kilkenny should win by 5 or more.

Yeah would say six points myself

In fairness, there's a difference between discussing the cork team in relation to the match coming up, and ranting and raving about cork underage structures on a kk thread. One is immediately relevant to kk and the other isn't. One person even pointed out that cork are doing well in the league (thus pointing out that they are potentially strong opposition for tomorrow) and you responded that its just the league (but what other context are we discussing cork on this thread for). obviously there's a difference between discussing cork v kk and derailing the thread to accommodate your favourite subject because one thread isn't enough to contain your righteous indignation about your incompetent shambles of a county board.

anyway as to our team, I think its strong, looking forward to seeing walsh again, and if our half backs play to potential and improve the quality of ball the forwards are getting, we can capitalise and steer clear of the danger zone.

I'm the one who asked what KK's view of Cork hurling is as someone, presumably from KK, mentioned how poor he felt Cork hurling is at the moment. I done so simply out of curiosity. Not the right forum I grant, but a couple of the over the top, aggressive, hit a raw nerve type responses are a bit puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just found out that throw-in for the match is 3pm! I thought it was 2pm, and I was about to head over to the Park! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Great performance by Miichael Fennelly -

Colin , and the two Richies really found the goalposts , when it really mattered .

Walsh was clearly not match fit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Great performance by Miichael Fennelly -

Colin , and the two Richies really found the goalposts , when it really mattered .

Walsh was clearly not match fit

Mick is some animal to hurl alright.

Cork were way fitter than the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

Fogarty corner back had a great game. Hogan really stood up in the second half after his early wides. HAs Richie Power ever scored a penalty? Fennelly powered into the second half with Ryan ably assisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Was anybody else confused as to why Colin Fennelly was full-forward for the first half and the start of the second half? :confused: He was absolutely glued to the edge of the square. I can understand the tactic of trying to create space between the full-back and centre-back, but Colin has so must pace, he needs to get the ball further out and be able to run at the backs.

Richie Power made a huge difference when he came on as a half-forward and KK became the better team for the last 10 minutes of the first half. But then in the second half for a while he was moved to corner-forward and he wasn't able to make an impact. But then for the last 15 minutes he was moved to centre-forward and, along with Michael Fennelly, began to dominate the game.

KK were also helped by the introduction of Cussen, as Cork's tactics were to land high balls up to him. I counted four balls into Cussen, three of which were cleared straight back up the field :D

Overall, KK haven't played great at all, but have managed to qualify for the semi-finals which is great, especially given the fact that they lost their first two games.

Should be a good game against Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

yes looking forward to the semil again galway, its great to see the players
    up for the league after all they have won over the years.

Richie Hogan is having a great league and is now one of the best forwards
    in the game. its also good to see the two Fennellys coming back to 2011
    form in the black and Amber.

Cork hurl well, but they beat us last year, but in the final and when it really matter Cork were way off the pace in the league final and semil all ireland
    again galway.

they have nice hurlers but that cork team won't win liam any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭me89

From Kilkennygaa

Kilkenny Senior Hurling Manager Brian Cody underwent pre-planned cardiac surgery today and is currently recovering in hospital. He is in good form but has to take a break from team affairs for a number of weeks. In his absence Martin Fogarty and Michael Dempsey will be taking charge of the Senior Hurling Panel. The Co. Board asks that Brian and his family be afforded privacy for the duration of his recovery and will not be issuing any further statements.

Get Well soon Brian.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement