Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football All Stars 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Fowler87 wrote: »
    long overdue for Cillian

I googled that. Quite amazing that COC still hasn't win all star, although I'm sure he'll win one this year. Not that he'll care too much.

The semi finalists will probably get most awards, but Kernan and Campbell from Armagh may have a chance.

Forwards are COC, JOD, Murphy and probably McHugh and Flynn. Still a spot up for grabs.
    Unless somebody does something amazing in the final, I'd give it to Kernan

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

keane2097 wrote: »
    He was very good in the replay but that was his first really good game all year.

He was excellent v Cork also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Lads, lot of ridiculous stuff here. Firstly a few facts.
    1. Páidi O'Sé was a great corner back but that 0-1 conceded in Finals thing is a myth. For one thing he was marking Paudge Quinn in 1986 and he got a goal at least.
    2. Higgins v JOD was a great battle. JOD got 1-3 from play in Croker, 0-4 on Saturday. In both games Higgins won at least 40% of 1v1 contests. Not the majority, but there is no corner back in the game that could do better on Ham-ez right now. Look at the first point he got on Saturday. Receives a great ball into a 1v1 situation. Higgins prevents him going inside for goal but JOD turns outside and hooks the ball high over the bar to avoid the attempted block. Nothing more any corner back could do.

The 2 of them are nailed on All stars if the awards have any credibility left. It's been a long time since I've seen such a captivating 1v1 duel in the football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Lads, lot of ridiculous stuff here. Firstly a few facts.
    1. Páidi O'Sé was a great corner back but that 0-1 conceded in Finals thing is a myth. For one thing he was marking Paudge Quinn in 1986 and he got a goal at least.
    2. Higgins v JOD was a great battle. JOD got 1-3 from play in Croker, 0-4 on Saturday. In both games Higgins won at least 40% of 1v1 contests. Not the majority, but there is no corner back in the game that could do better on Ham-ez right now. Look at the first point he got on Saturday. Receives a great ball into a 1v1 situation. Higgins prevents him going inside for goal but JOD turns outside and hooks the ball high over the bar to avoid the attempted block. Nothing more any corner back could do.

The 2 of them are nailed on All stars if the awards have any credibility left. It's been a long time since I've seen such a captivating 1v1 duel in the football championship.

Giles v Ryan in the 97 trilogy? Both won all-star on the back of it.

Bellew v Donaghy in 06 was pretty captivating also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Laughable stuff on this trend. Anyone who plays or played football will know Keith Higgins done an unbeliveable job on JOD. Cunniffe and Cafferky were dreadfully outplayed and exposed Higgins but Higgins showed he really is the best man marker out there by dispossessing, blocking & harrassing JOD and giving him nothing easy. Mayo would have being blown out the gate if it wasn't for Higgins both days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

I think the All Stars are definitely going to come from the 4 semi finalist, but I hope Tipp's Colin O Riordan gets a nomination. He was outstanding all year and won player of the month for his performances against Laois and especially Galway when we were very much up against it.

Footballer of the year is James O Donoghue so far. If Murphey or Ryan McHugh are on the winning side and produce m.o.m. performances it might be a different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

dcrosskid wrote: »
    I think the All Stars are definitely going to come from the 4 semi finalist, but I hope Tipp's Colin O Riordan gets a nomination. He was outstanding all year and won player of the month for his performances against Laois and especially Galway when we were very much up against it.

Footballer of the year is James O Donoghue so far. If Murphey or Ryan McHugh are on the winning side and produce m.o.m. performances it might be a different outcome.

I might be a bit biased, but i think Paul Flynn is POTY so far. He's been simply incredible every time he's walked on to the pitch this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I might be a bit biased, but i think Paul Flynn is POTY so far. He's been simply incredible every time he's walked on to the pitch this year.

I think Paul will be our only All Star this year, there's always a degree of disparity with these awards. The AI Champions will invariably get 5-7, losers 4-5 and the crumbs will fall to those who genuinely deserve one and then some charity cases. Unfortunately the likes of McCarthy who I thought was outstanding this year and of course Cooper will have fallen on their sword after last Sunday .. not that they'll care tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I think Paul will be our only All Star this year, there's always a degree of disparity with these awards. The AI Champions will invariably get 5-7, losers 4-5 and the crumbs will fall to those who genuinely deserve one and then some charity cases. Unfortunately the likes of McCarthy who I thought was outstanding this year and of course Cooper will have fallen on their sword after last Sunday .. not that they'll care tbh

I think we'll get two. Dermo should get one. The only thing that will go against him is will we get two in the same line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I think Jason Doherty is worth a shout for an all-star. He's done excellently in every Mayo game I've seen, winning breaks, working hard and getting some great scores.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    I think Jason Doherty is worth a shout for an all-star. He's done excellently in every Mayo game I've seen, winning breaks, working hard and getting some great scores.

Again much like the Dublin set up, Mayo won't get 2 all stars in the forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Again much like the Dublin set up, Mayo won't get 2 all stars in the forward line

There's a decent chance they'll get two if they decide to give Aidan O'Shea the number 11 jersey, because O'Connor is a cert. Anyway, I think the number 11 jersey is between Connolly and O'Shea, so either Mayo or Dublin could have 2 in the one line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Paul Durcan

Keith Higgins
    Neil McGee
    Andy Mallon/Paul Murphy

Fionn Fitzgearld
    Peter Crowley
    Ryan McHugh

David Moran
    Odhran MacNiallais

Paul Flynn
    Diarmuid Connolly
    Donnacha Walsh

James O'Donoghue
    Michael Murphy
    Cillian O Connor

YPOTY - Ryan McHugh
    POTY - James O Donoghue

Kerry - 5/6
    Donegal - 5
    Dublin - 2
    Mayo - 2
    Armagh - 1?

GBXI wrote: »
    There's a decent chance they'll get two if they decide to give Aidan O'Shea the number 11 jersey, because O'Connor is a cert. Anyway, I think the number 11 jersey is between Connolly and O'Shea, so either Mayo or Dublin could have 2 in the one line.

I'm not saying they don't deserve one, but with probably 9-10 taken from the finalists - I'd suggest maybe Hennelly would be Mayo best shout at a 2nd all star - to give a more representative feel to the team I'd say the likes of Shane Walsh might get a HF nomination

I'm not saying they don't deserve one, but with probably 9-10 taken from the finalists - I'd suggest maybe Hennelly would be Mayo best shout at a 2nd all star - to give a more representative feel to the team I'd say the likes of Shane Walsh might get a HF nomination

Oh Mayo are near certainties to get two All Stars anyway, Higgins and O'Connor. Decent possibility of a third, as I was saying, in O'Shea. But half forward line will probably be McHugh, Connolly, Flynn. I thought Hennelly had a great year and would be very close but if Donegal win Durkan is a cert to get the no. 1 jersey, and if Kerry win, it'll most likely be the Kerry keeper, that's just the way it goes as you say with finalists. On Shane Walsh, he has been and is the best number 11 in Ireland this year but he hasn't a notion of winning one. Definite nomination though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No way in hell regardless of the result should Kerry get the GK spot.

Has to be Durkan for me.

Oh Mayo are near certainties to get two All Stars anyway, Higgins and O'Connor. .......

Sorry yeah Higgins was top drawer this year .. agreed

No way in hell regardless of the result should Kerry get the GK spot.

Has to be Durkan for me.

I'd agree with you there, I don't particularly rate the Kerry keeper at all, but look at the bookies odds, Hennelly isn't even priced!! Don't ask me how!

Interestingly, barely anyone on this thread has mentioned Karl Lacey even though he is 1/7 with the bookies to win a half back All Star!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think there's a fair chance Aidan O Shea will pick up a gong alongside Cillian O Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Current odds from Paddypower
    Goalkeeper

Paul Durcan 2/5
    Brian Kelly 5/2
    Rory Beggan 4/1
    Stephen Cluxton 7/1

Full Back

Keith Higgins 1/12
    Neil McGee 1/9
    Eamon McGee 6/4
    Paddy McGrath 2/1
    Andy Mallon 10/3
    Paul Murphy 4/1
    Drew Wylie 9/2
    Aidan O Mahony 5/1
    Marc O'Se 7/1
    Philip McMahon 7/1
    Shane Enright 9/1

Half Backs

Karl Lacey 1/3
    Frank McGlynn 2/5
    Colm Boyle evens
    Dessie Mone 3/1
    Killian Young 9/4
    Peter Crowley 9/4
    Fionn Fitzgerald 9/4
    Anthony Thompson 7/2
    Lee Keegan 4/1
    James McCarthy 5/1
    Aaron Kernan 13/2

Midfielders

David Moran 1/3
    Neil Gallagher 4/9
    Aidan O'Shea 5/2
    Johnny Buckley 9/2
    Anthony Maher 9/2
    Michael D MacAuley 5/1
    Thomas Flynn 16/1

Half Forwards

Ryan McHugh 1/8
    Diarmuid Connolly 3/10
    Paul Flynn 3/10
    Odhran Mac Niallais 8/13
    Donnchadh Walsh 8/15
    Leo McLoone 9/1
    Shane Walsh 14/1
    Stephen O Brien 16/1
    Bryan Sheehan 16/1
    Tony Kernan 25/1
    Kevin Dyas 25/1

Full Forwards

James O'Donoghue 1/500
    Michael Murphy 1/10
    Cillian O'Connor 1/8
    Paul Geaney 9/2
    Declan O'Sullivan 11/2
    Bernard Brogan 15/2
    Colm McFadden 8/1
    Conor McManus 10/1
    Jamie Clarke 14/1
    Paddy McBrearty 14/1
    Colm O'Neill 25/1
    Conor Sweeney 33/1

Based on those odds (and assuming that there is no switching of positions the 15 All-Stars would be

Paul Durcan 2/5
    Keith Higgins 1/12
    Neil McGee 1/9
    Eamon McGee 6/4
    Karl Lacey 1/3
    Frank McGlynn 2/5
    Colm Boyle evens
    David Moran 1/3
    Neil Gallagher 4/9
    Ryan McHugh 1/8
    Diarmuid Connolly 3/10
    Paul Flynn 3/10
    James O'Donoghue 1/500
    Michael Murphy 1/10
    Cillian O'Connor 1/8

This would be
    Donegal 8
    Mayo 3
    Kerry 2
    Dublin 2

You would have to imagine that this is very likely to be the outcome if Donegal win - does seem a bit odd that currently only 2 Kerry players are in the 15

If Kerry win those likely to come into the reckoning are

Donnchadh Walsh 8/15
    Killian Young 9/4
    Peter Crowley 9/4
    Fionn Fitzgerald 9/4

lots of half-back competition so very hard to see all these 3 getting in [anyone know the lowest number of All-Stars a winning All-Ireland team has picked up ?]

looking at these odds hard to see anyone outside the 4 semi-finalist teams pick up a nod

Ryan McHugh is 1/33 for YPOTY - if he has a quiet final he might be edged out of an All-Star seeing as he is almost a cert to pick up YPOTY

I think even if JOD has a quiet final he still has a massive chance at picking up POTY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    anyone know the lowest number of All-Stars a winning All-Ireland team has picked up ?

pretty sure it was cork in 2010 with 4.

I'd agree with you there, I don't particularly rate the Kerry keeper at all, but look at the bookies odds, Hennelly isn't even priced!! Don't ask me how!

Hennelly conceded 23 goals in 14 games this year,
    Kelly has conceded 9 in 10 games {prior to the 2 Mayo games Kelly had conceded 5 in 8 games}

Durkan has conceded 10 goals in 13 games

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

1/500 before a ball kicked in the final

Wow

1/500 before a ball kicked in the final

Wow

You wonder just how bad he'd have to perform not to pick up an All-Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Hennelly conceded 23 goals in 14 games this year,
    Kelly has conceded 9 in 10 games {prior to the 2 Mayo games Kelly had conceded 5 in 8 games}

Durkan has conceded 10 goals in 13 games

3 of those goals were conceded against louth after we were about 12 points up after half an hour. If we hadn't switched off in that game it would be a pretty impressive record from Durcan.

He kept Dublin goalless too. His defence helped but he was there when it mattered.

3 of those goals were conceded against louth after we were about 12 points up after half an hour. If we hadn't switched off in that game it would be a pretty impressive record from Durcan.

Yeah I can understand why he's favourite especially after the weekend. Kelly's horror under the high ball, Cluxton conceding 3, and being below par in terms of kickoutd & deadballs, plus Hennelley's overall number of goals conceded.

As against that he was surely helped by Donegal being in Division 2 in the league - when you look at the overall difference in the level of quality of attacks he faced.

Also helped by all the decent Donegal defenders and the emphasis Donegal have on not conceding goals.

Only danger is Kerry bagging 2/3/4/ goals in the final and Kelly having a shutout and making some highlight reel saves.

Isn't much of a danger of that now in fairness

Isn't much of a danger of that now in fairness

Oh yeah totally agree - Kerry will get the 4 goals handy enough but Donegal won't have enough of the ball to even get a shot on goal for Kelly to save, never mind the 2 or 3 efforts necessary for Kelly to pull off enough spectacular saves to overtake Durkan ;):D:D:D:D :p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

No mention of McNeilis in the centre of the field??!!

Advertisement