Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Boat

• 24-04-2012 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

This may not be the right place but tought I mite just ask. Im looking to get a boat for general use really (spin with friends weather dependent, possibly a donut/ wake board, small bit of fishing) basically something with a bit of speed. I have a small bit of experience with boats ribs mainly but have recently been looking at bayliners/ sea rays in around the 5k mark. I will mainly be using it between malahide and maybe howth. Iv been told that these would be no use for me and that if there was any sort of swell these would be highly unstable and wouldn't have enough power and would be incredibly sluggish at 130hp 3liter.

Would this be the case. Does anyone have any advice? Im a bit lost here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

john6 wrote: »
    This may not be the right place but tought I mite just ask. Im looking to get a boat for general use really (spin with friends weather dependent, possibly a donut/ wake board, small bit of fishing) basically something with a bit of speed. I have a small bit of experience with boats ribs mainly but have recently been looking at bayliners/ sea rays in around the 5k mark. I will mainly be using it between malahide and maybe howth. Iv been told that these would be no use for me and that if there was any sort of swell these would be highly unstable and wouldn't have enough power and would be incredibly sluggish at 130hp 3liter.

go to divegear.ie -- they sell boats as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

See a wide range of wee boats on donedeal.ie

Could also check

www.apolloduck.ie/

www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk also list boats in Ireland

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

john6 wrote: »
    . Iv been told that these would be no use for me and that if there was any sort of swell these would be highly unstable and wouldn't have enough power and would be incredibly sluggish at 130hp 3liter.

I'd agree with this to be honest, something like the bayiner capri is a great boat, but more suited to calmer waters like lakes etc!
    I'd defo much prefer to go out on the sea in a rib thats for sure!!

As for where to look, donedeal or apolloduck would be your best bet!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi John it might be a good idea to do a powerboat course http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ to get the feel of the more power boats this will also stand to you when you go to get your boat insured. The bayliners and the like will be fine for close to shore boating and a bit of water sports on calm days, 130hp is plenty power in a 17 foot boat top speed is about 45-50 mph and thats fast on the water. If your more into fishing and want to go out to deep water have a look at the Raider and warrior boats.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Moved from Maritime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi. We're thinking of purchasing a Sealine 305 Statesman s/h. Does anyone know how this model handles in sea conditions as well as rivers etc. Any help or info appreciated.
    Tnks GrannieAnnie

Advertisement