Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Received an infraction

Options
  • 06-11-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

:(:(:(
    I received the below infraction for answering a question posed to me in a Thread which does not state no discussion apart from no R/A talk.

I cannot see how the Mod could do this as I broke no rules of the thread, if there was to be no discussion then the thread should state this. Yes the Mod said the following, which is only a question not a statement:

'That vid isn't even all that interesting...can we just drop the chat on that one, and get more vids? '

However the Mod found fit to hand out infractions when the conversation continued.....

I have given the Mod alternatives today & before when this issue previously raised it head as you can see below,

Can the infraction against me please be rescinded as it is not valid.

You have received an infraction

You have been infracted for ignoring a moderator's instructions.

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Alanstrainor

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by celticbest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jesus.
    Are you serious?
    Yes what they did was illegal

Why can I not answer someone question?

Re: You have received an infraction
    Originally Posted by Alanstrainor
    Dear celticbest,

Discussion can become heated, we don't object to that, but when a moderator issues a warning on a thread to reign things in, it stops a heated discussion from turning into a mess.

Alanstrainor

Your post:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Are you serious?

Why can I not answer someone question?
    This is after I requested that conversation to stop. Both received infractions, and both posts deleted.

Dear celticbest,

Alanstrainor

Your post:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Are you serious?

I answered a question put to me, as previously mentioned there is no side thread to answer through
    The point is that after i asked for the discussion to stop, you did so. Reporting the post would have solved this....and not responding.

Alanstrainor

Your post:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Are you serious?

I answered a question put to me, as previously mentioned there is no side thread to answer through

Quote:
    Dear celticbest,

Alanstrainor

Your post:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Are you serious?

The point is that after i asked for the discussion to stop, you did so. Reporting the post would have solved this....and not responding.
    You still haven't answered my question, how you are meant to discuss videos on this thread if when 'you' feel it is boring you, you tell people to stop.

As stated before there is nowhere else to discuss videos and you have not come up with an alternative.

I would happily never post anything but videos to this thread if there was an alternative place for discussions, as there is not then discussions have to be held on this thread.

Hence the infraction you gave is a bit heavy handed considering the circumstances.

See people want to carry on the discussion but there is nowhere to do it,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...postcount=6036

BTW, I won't be reporting this post as it is perfectly legitimate on the posters behalf re the rules of the thread, no talk of r/a's....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi celticbest,

The Mod gave a clear instruction to drop the line of discussion, and you and another poster continued posting about it. Regardless of whether or not you believe there should be a separate discussion thread or if discussion should be allowed in that thread, that doesn't justify ignoring the mod's instruction.

As such, the infraction is upheld. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Penn wrote: »
    Hi celticbest,

The Mod gave a clear instruction to drop the line of discussion, and you and another poster continued posting about it. Regardless of whether or not you believe there should be a separate discussion thread or if discussion should be allowed in that thread, that doesn't justify ignoring the mod's instruction.

As such, the infraction is upheld. You may ask for an Admin to review this decision if you wish.

As I already pointed out he did not give a clear instruction to stop, he asked 'can we just drop it' another poster asked a question which in turn I answered as it was not specifically stated to stop.
    That vid isn't even all that interesting...can we just drop the chat on that one, and get more vids?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92921153&postcount=6035
    As requested I would like this infraction to be rescinded.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was a moderator of the forum posting in bold text (commonly used to signify that the moderator is posting in their capacity as a moderator as opposed to a normal poster) and giving an instruction. Arguing semantics over the terminology used doesn't negate that fact.

Again, you may ask for an Admin to review this decision, or allow this dispute to be marked as resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Penn wrote: »
    It was a moderator of the forum posting in bold text (commonly used to signify that the moderator is posting in their capacity as a moderator as opposed to a normal poster) and giving an instruction. Arguing semantics over the terminology used doesn't negate that fact.

Again, you may ask for an Admin to review this decision, or allow this dispute to be marked as resolved.

Terminology is what defines how a statement is read, again I state that it did not stay' stop' it said 'can we' this was a question not an instruction.

Again I ask for this infraction to be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

celticbest wrote: »
    As I already pointed out he did not give a clear instruction to stop, he asked 'can we just drop it'
    What did you expect, that the discussion would then turn into a discussion about whether or not you all could just drop that topic? If so, would you not technically be posting off topic if you weren't discussing that particular topic? That's rhetorical questions incidentally.
    celticbest wrote: »
    Terminology is what defines how a statement is read, again I state that it did not stay' stop' it said 'can we' this was a question not an instruction.
    No, sorry, that was a clear instruction, a gentle but clear instruction from the Mod.

Boards Mods (and Mods in general) get grief sometimes for being too harsh, for being power trippers, Nazis etc etc. And when someone tries to steer the tiller with a warm hand, they get grief for not being too harsh.

I agree with the infraction so don't agree that it should be lifted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement