Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5/3/1 for Middle aged Fat Guys!

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

First a little background info

I am 43 years old and have been lifting weights on and off for about 10 years. I was a typical gym goer – just doing a sort of bodybuilding style split routine with no real plan.

In the last 8 months or so I started to become dissatisfied with this and wanted more (mid-life crisis maybe!). After searching the internet I came across Mark Rippetoe’s book Starting Strength and started to squat for the first time in my life! I was so inflexible that this was pure agony. I stuck with it and eventually it became a little easier – I then even plucked up the courage to try deadlifting!

After further research I happened upon Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. After purchasing this and reading it, I realised that I had found what I was looking for! In August 2009 I tested my max in the 4 lifts and started my first cycle of 5/3/1.

My maxes were as follows: Bench: 115, Squat: 135, Press: 70, Deadlift: 160. This equated to training maxes of Bench: 103.5, Squat: 122, Press: 63, Deadlift: 140. Due to circumstances (job, kids etc) I train at lunchtime and can only fit in about 35 minutes 4 days a week. This meant I could train one main lift a day with no time for assistance work or as Wendler calls it "I’m not doing jack sh1t".

After a couple of cycles I teamed up with Brutusthebarber as we were both training at lunchtime in the Hercs. This speeded things up a bit and I was now able to fit in a small amount of assistance work on the upper body days. We would do 3 sets of chins on bench day and 3 sets of dips on press day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

I won’t bother posting my previous training, but here are some of my rep records taken from various weeks to give you some idea of how I progressed.

Cycle1
    Bench: 92.5 x 10
    Squat: 110 x 10
    Press: 55 x 9
    Deadlift: 125 x 8

Cycle 2
    Bench: 100 x 8
    Squat: 115 x 10
    Press: 62.5 x 5
    Deadlift: 137.5 x 7

Cycle 3
    Bench: 102.5 x 8
    Squat: 120 x 8
    Press: 65 x 3
    Deadlift: 142.5 x 6

Cycle 4
    Bench: 100 x 9
    Squat: 122.5 x 9
    Press: 60 x 7
    Deadlift: 140 x 8

I have now completed 4 cycles and competed in my first Powerlifting meet – see next post.

Saturday 12 December 2009

My first Powerlifting meet – Hercules Club Championships 2009

Weighed in at 11am – 98 kilos.

Lifting started at 2pm when Olympic lifting ended.

Squat
    1. 130
    2. 140 PR
    3. 150 PR
    Bench
    1. 110
    2. 120 PR
    3. 125 - fail
    Deadlift
    1. 150
    2. 165 PR
    3. 175 PR – this lift was dedicated to my dad who died on 30/11/2009 after a 3 year struggle against cancer
    Total: 445

Observations:

I was absolutely delighted with my performance! I really enjoyed the day, although I wasn’t expecting it to go on for so long – my first lift was about 2pm and my last lift about 6pm! By the time I got to the DL warm up I was wrecked. A 120 warm up felt like 160 and my lower back had really tightened up from the squats.

Another thing I had to learn fast was what and when to eat during all this. I had brought a big tub of tuna and rice with me, but James Hanley advised me that this would not be a good idea. So off we marched to Tesco’s and stocked up on cereal bars, Jaffa Cakes and caffeine drinks! I snacked on these throughout the comp and it seemed to keep me going.

The atmosphere was great with all the lifters really supporting each other. I am normally a quiet guy but found myself roaring and shouting before each of my 3rd attempts! I got so psyched up for my last bench that I forgot to pause and wait for the press command!

I have read a few of the logs here and know that some of you are getting ready for your first competition, so if any of this helps that’s great. Feel free to ask any questions. I will try and post some vids when I figure out how to do it!

Here are my three best lifts from the club champs - squat 150, bench 120, deadlift 175. Comments welcome.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Didn't get to see any of your deadlifts on saturday... but there's a couple of things I'd say;

-get your stance in a bit and hands closer together
    -hips lower for more leg drive
    -be more patient at the top
    -pull the legs of your singlet up high and get talc on your quads to smooth lockout

Thanks. I will work on those points in my next deadlift session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

5 PRs at your first meet, Show off :D, brill work

Thanks! I think PRs at your first meet are easy enough. Now it gets hard. I didn't think people would actually read my log - the pressue is on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

That squat flew up, i think 160 is def in those legs if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Well done on your first comp. Now you've a total against your name you can improve on. Oh and don't let Hanley bring you over to the Jaffa Cake side, if I ever see one of those again after last years single lifts I'll puke!

Jayoo - yeah maybe 160 in the single lifts on 23/01. Thinking of doing squat and bench

Kevpants - thanks! Yeah, I will have to think about the Jaffa Cake issue - probably not a good long term nutritional plan!

I must study both your logs now to see if I can learn anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

wow sqaut looked really easy man! your good for more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Good to see the log up and running!!

As the lads have said the squat was very easy.

@Kevpants.. man those jaffa cakes were a life saver!

First day back training since the club champs on Saturday. Met Brutus at Lunchtime in the Hercs and we did some general stuff.

Chest supported rows 3 x 10
    Face Pulls 3 x 10
    Side delt raises with light DBs 3 x 10
    DB curls 3 x 10
    Dips 3 x 10

Haven't used DBs or done any curls in about 8 months - felt like a bodybuilder!

Didn't really have a plan just getting back into it! Where my right tricep attaches to my elbow is still very sore - been like that for a few weeks now:(

Haven't trained since Wednesday. I am back in the gym tomorrow and I am planning a sort of "getting back ito it after a competition" 5/3/1/ week. I will do 50/60/70 % on my work sets and then start cycle 5 of 5/3/1 on the 28/12. This will give me a deload week right before the single lifts.

Goals for single lifts - Squat 160 and Bench 125

Must get some of that super duper shake from Brutus!

Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I will not be able to get to the gym today. I will double up tomorrow with bench and squat.

I have decided to post my goals for the IDFPA nationals in March. I am currently a fat 98 Kilos and intend to compete in the under 90 kilo class. My goal is a 500 kilo total in the unequipped section.

I obviously have to check my form nearer the event but the rough breakdown I have in my head is Squat 170, Bench 130, Deadlift 200.

I have made it public now, so the pressure is on:D

Warm up 5/3/1 week in preparation for Cycle 5 starting next Monday.

Squats

Warm up

Bar x 5
    40 x 5
    60 x 5

Work sets

70 x 5
    85 x 5
    100 x 5
    110 x 5 - felt very heavy

Bench

Warm up

Bar x 5
    40 x 5
    50 x 5

Work sets

60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 5 - felt very heavy

Chest Supported Rows - 2 light warm up sets then 3 x 15 with 90 kilos.

Didn't feel too bad, but Right elbow and shoulder a bit sore
    afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Patto

Good blog Pavel66. 3 weeks into my first cycle of 5/3/1 nice to see someone else's experience. What height are you? How much assistance work have you been doing?

Thanks Patto. I am 5' 10". As I outlined in my first post I have very little time to train so for the first 2 cycles I did no assistance work. After I started training with a partner it speeded things up a bit and I now do 3 sets of chins and 1 or 2 sets of chest supported rows on bench day and 3 sets of dips on military Press day.

I don't usually have time for any assistance work on squat or DL day but the odd time I do I just add some ab work. I seem to be able to make progress on this amount of work but it may be to do with my age (43), a young guy may need more volume.

Military Press

Bar x 10
    Bar x 5
    25 x 5
    30 x 5
    35 x 5
    40 x 5

Deadlift

60 x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 5
    100 x 5
    120 x 5

Dips (bodyweight)

3 x 15, 12, 9:(

Assistance work does not seem to be my strongpoint!

Cycle 5 week 1 of 5/3/1 starts on Monday - squat and bench

5/3/1 Cycle 5 Week 1

Squats

Warm up

Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 2

Work sets

92.5 x 5
    107.5 x 5
    120 x 10 PR

Assistance squats

70 x 12
    70 x 12
    70 x 20:eek: - Forced into this by Hanley and Brutus - fcukers! I was wrecked afterwards

Bench

Warm up

Bar x 5
    40 x 5
    60 x 5

Work sets

75 x 5
    85 x 5
    97.5 x 10 - needed 12 for a PR:(

60 x 10 x 3

Chest Supported Rows - 2 light warm up sets then 3 x 15 with 100 kilos.

I was very happy with the 120 x 10 - it was tough but I think there is more in the tank. The set of 20 nearly killed me - I was out of breath for about 10 mins and my lower back had a crazy pump!

Didn't feel great on the bench, it seems to have gone a bit haywire lately. Felt strong on the rows!

Thanks to Hanley and Brutus for the help, encouragement and abuse!

• Advertisement

"We should take the hooks to make sure he does the 20":pac::)

:D

I felt the same today with my bench but you have to remember that you did a max set on the "5" day AND 20 reps for the first time ever! It is going to take it out of you no matter how rested you are.

Great work today.. see you thursday!!!

I love the feel of squat soreness in the mornin:D

Special Offer: Power-bellies half price while stocks last:p

Defo more in the tank!!:cool:

Sorry Jim, I am giving up 5/3/1, This is the real deal!

5/3/1 cycle 5 week 1

Deadlift

warm up

60 x 5 x 2
    80 x 3
    90 x 3

work sets

105 x 5
    120 x 5
    135 x 8 :(

Military Press

Warm up

Bar x 5 x 2
    25 x 5
    30 x 5

work sets

37.5 x 5
    45 x 5
    50 x 13 PR

Assistance work

Dips 3 x 15, 12, 8
    Lat Pulldowns 2 x 10 with 75kg

The minute I started to deadlift I knew it wasn't going to be a good day. My lower back was so fatigued it wasn't funny! It just got worse as I went on. I needed 135 x 10 for a PR, but the 8 nearly killed me. Afterwards my lower back felt as bad as after the squats on Monday.

If you're wondering why the military press is so low, it's because it wasn't going well lately and I have decided to reset it. The good news is I set a PR! Dips were rubbish.

Stepped on the scales after training - 100.4:eek:

I have been off work for a while but it's back to the grind tomorrow! This means a return to my usual training schedule - 4 lunchtimes a week, 35 mins each session!

It will be interesting to see how long I can make progress with such a small amount of volume :)

5/3/1 cycle 5 week 2

Bench Press

Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5

Work sets

80 x 3
    90 x 3
    102.5 x 8

60 x 10 x 2

Assistance work

NG chins 3 x 6, 5, 5
    Chest supported rows 2 x 12 with 90 kilos

Squats

Bar x 10
    40 x 5
    60 x 5
    80 x 3

work sets

100 x 3
    112.5 x 3
    127.5 x 8 PR

75 x 10 x 2

Can't get to the gym again until Thursday so had to fit bench and squat in today. I didn't feel good on the bench, but managed to equal my PR - I was aiming for 9 but only managed to get it about an inch off my chest.

My chins suck as usual:(

Very happy with the squats :D

Walking to the gym today I slipped on the ice and all 100kg of me came crashing down on my right hand. Click on the attachment to see the result....

I then foolishly completed my workout! (see next post)

5/3/1 cycle 5 week 2

Military Press

Bar x 5 x 2
    30 x 5

Work sets

40 x 3
    47.5 x 3
    52.5 x 10 PR

Dips

3 x 15, 10, 8

Close grip underhand pulldowns - 3 x 10

When I got to the Hercs I was a bit shaken up after my fall (see above). I probably should have skipped training and went back to work! There was a fair bit of blood coming from the cuts on my hand and one of the lads cleaned it up with TCP and put a couple of plasters on it for me (thanks Patsy!).

I don't know if it was the fall or if I was just feeling bad but I felt awful during the entire workout.

Military Press - A PR but not a good one considering I got 50 x 13 last week! I was seriously struggling after 5 and only pig headedness got me to 10. The last rep took about 20 seconds to lock out!

Dips - Not really sure how I even managed to do dips at all :eek:

Pulldowns - used an underhand grip and light weight to try and hit my biceps! It seemed to work. I super-setted these with the dips to save time. Brutus keeps telling me that curls will help my elbow soreness -obviously I will try anything to avoid curls :D

Overall not one of my more enjoyable training sessions. I was supposed to deadlift tomorrow, but that is now out of the question as I cannot even close my right hand :(

Not sure when I will be able to train again ....

• Advertisement

Sh!t Pavel... Hope the hand gets better.. Respect for getting through the training!!!

If you miss tomorrow you have till Monday to rest the hand!! Won't do any harm at all man.

Advertisement