Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connecting TV to Ariel for Saorview

• 18-09-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, sorry I haven't a clue what I'm doing here so may be a stupid question.

Moved into a new house and bought new TV with Saorview channels. When I got home and plugged it in it wouldn't find any channels.

There is an Ariel outside and a connection in the wall but how do I know if it is working / disconnected? Also who could I get to connect up an Ariel if need be?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Is there an aerial on the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rmahynes

Yes, well it is an apartment block of 8 apartments with one Ariel on top. The salesperson in shop where we bought TV said that the one Ariel should do a few apartments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

rmahynes wrote: »
    ... Moved into a new house and bought new TV with Saorview channels. When I got home and plugged it in it wouldn't find any channels.

There is an Ariel outside and a connection in the wall but how do I know if it is working / disconnected? Also who could I get to connect up an Ariel if need be?

If the aerial is the correct type for Saorview in your area, the system is functioning properly & you've connected your TV to the right socket, then your TV should find the channels, if you ran the proper scan (menu option usually includes the terms 'DTV' or 'Air').

You should find out from management/landlord if there is someone responsible for maintaining the aerial system (probably whoever installed it), before you go getting in your own 'aerial man'.

Okay, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Post a pic of the wall connection. There can be different types of wall connection push-in (2 types) or screw on.

The standard flyleads would be this and this (male and female types). The TV connector requires a male connector, depending on the wall type the other end of the cable could be male, female or screw-on F-connector.

• Advertisement

Theres 2 connections on the wall, one is female and the other is screw in...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

Theres 2 connections on the wall, one is female and the other is screw in...

The screw in one is probably satellite and the female one is probably terrestrial TV. Start with the female one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Yes, well it is an apartment block of 8 apartments with one Ariel on top. The salesperson in shop where we bought TV said that the one Ariel should do a few apartments?

He did not know what he was talking about. Ariel is washing powder and will never work to receive TV.

A communal aerial should however.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

winston_1 wrote: »
    He did not know what he was talking about. Ariel is washing powder and will never work to receive TV.
    Give it a rest ffs and leave people alone. A lot of your posts (or maybe that should be "you're" :D) are just coming across as annoying and contributing nothing at times to the discussion.

Not everyone is as well up on the Queen's English as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

muffler wrote: »
    Give it a rest ffs and leave people alone. A lot of your posts (or maybe that should be "you're" :D) are just coming across as annoying and contributing nothing at times to the discussion.

Same carry-on over in the DS forum - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=74747968#post74747968

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

muffler wrote: »

Nothing to do with the Queen's English, but a complete use of the wrong word. Without correction the mistake will continue to be made.
    Ariel (with an upper case letter) is washing powder or brand of motorcycle.
    Aerial (antenna) for receiving or transmission of RF signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

You forgot The Little Mermaid, winston ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nothing to do with the Queen's English, but a complete use of the wrong word. Without correction the mistake will continue to be made.
    Aerial (antenna) for receiving or transmission of RF signals.
    And the world will end because of a simple spelling error of a single word on Boards.ie

Any idea when this apocalypse will occur as I would dearly love a final romp with the missus?

Advertisement