Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Carphone Warehouse deal VS. Saorview/Freesat Box

• 24-09-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Would love some expert advice or recommendations on the TV setup I'm going for in my new apartment.
    I'm broke and keeping costs down was a priority, I was very happy to go without Sky or UPS and opt for some sort of Saorview+Freeview setup.
    My friend picked up a box for himself for €100 that offers both, attach a usb HDD and you can record. Sound like everything I need but he couldn't recall the brand off-hand.
    I thought this would be the obvious route to go down but the €15 carphone warehouse deal that ends tomorrow is seriously tempting and I could spread the cost out a bit.

Anyone like to chime in if there's an obvious choice between the two?
    The reason I'm leaning towards the Sky deal is the free installation, HD channels, easy recording (no need to buy another drive on top of buying that €100 box) and Im also non-plussed on the variety and quality of the Saorview/Freesat boxes out there.
    If any of you are Saorview converts, is there a particular box that is a best buy?
    Any I should avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

ok

your friend bought a box so i assume he has an aerial and dish installed.

do you, if not you will have to factor in an install and buying your box and i am giving a conservative price of €250 all in.

versus CPW offer

free install plus outlay of €15 a month x 12 = €180 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

Hello,

I would go for the Sky €15 euro deal. This will take care of getting a satellite dish fitted if nothing else. The Sky epg, series link, access to HD channels is hard to turn your nose up at. Next year if you choose to go fta you just need an aerial and (I would recommend) an Amiko 2 box. There's a really good support thread for this on Boards. This is excellent at accessing the FTA channels including many of the HD versions that sky charge for.

Or you might just suck it up and stick with sky as, in the end, it is the easiest to use and the wife and kids are already used to and happy with it. That's what I ended up doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Have a look at the Aliko Alien 2 thread. It's a great little box that does everything!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

Sound folks, forgot to factor in the dish. I'm going to go with the sky deal it's just less hassle for now but thanks for the heads up on the Aliko Alien 2. I'll keep it in mind for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i would also recomend to get sky in for the year, that sorts getting dish etc installed and spreads out the cost. at the end of the yeat, just cancel sky, keep the box and you will still get all the FTA stuff on it. you will need an aerial though and maybe a box if your tv is not saorview compatable

if you ask me though the only sensible option is next time you are buying a tv get one which is saorview compatible and has a built in satallite receiver, so you can plug your sky dish straight into it. so no mucking around with any boxes, nice and tidy. (though you might have one with these features already..so check it out)

i have one 32 inch, think it was about 400, so a little more than a combi box, but if you are planning a tv upgrade, it makes much more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

John G wrote: »
    Hello,

I would go for the Sky €15 euro deal. This will take care of getting a satellite dish fitted if nothing else. The Sky epg, series link, access to HD channels is hard to turn your nose up at. Next year if you choose to go fta you just need an aerial and (I would recommend) an Amiko 2 box. There's a really good support thread for this on Boards. This is excellent at accessing the FTA channels including many of the HD versions that sky charge for.

Or you might just suck it up and stick with sky as, in the end, it is the easiest to use and the wife and kids are already used to and happy with it. That's what I ended up doing!

What is the sky €15 euro deal is there a link ?

It's an in-store Carphone Warehouse offer, no online links to it but all the info is in this thread on the Bargain alerts page.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057287321&page=20

The offer was supposed to end today but there was such a demand that they've extended it to Saturday.
    Poster in that thread got a printout of the deal in store and posted it up.

hallo dare wrote: »
    Have a look at the Aliko Alien 2 thread. It's a great little box that does everything!!!;)

Any chance you could post a link to that thread? Having trouble finding it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

SMI wrote: »
    Any chance you could post a link to that thread? Having trouble finding it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If you're in an apartment makes ure you can have a dish and get line of sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

anybody got details of the current carphoewarehouse sky deal?
    i heard €38 but not sure what the package setails are
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

kooga wrote: »
    anybody got details of the current carphoewarehouse sky deal?
    i heard €38 but not sure what the package setails are
    tks

Call them or check their website would be best options to find out

Advertisement