Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ncad

• 04-05-2005 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

so, is it really as hard to get into this college as "they" say? I kinda hope to get a place there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

It's not really hard, they just have a high standard (supposedly)

Personally, I wont be putting NCAD as my first choice next year (more than likely) as they are very eassy focused and all theory and little practical. I've heard that NCAD can ruin an artist, but on the other hand some of the late bloomers will blossom there.

I think NCAD is good if you are going for a very Fine Art line of work, while if you are more interested in newer art, such as Vis. Com. or animation, then IADT is the one for you..

Hope you get in. Have you got any pics of ur portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭acri

i was reviewin' my CAO choices and thought feck multimedia, i wanna do character design. so i'll be doin a portfolio course during the summer or start an evening course come autumn. yeah, someone else recommended iadt instead aswell. i really dont wanna stick my head in a book all the time so mabye iadt is that best option.

exactly IADT is not a Stick ur head in the book college.. what year are u in 6th?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭acri

yep. what a jolly time. cant wait till this thing is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

i applied to animation this year in iadt, im nervous nervous nervous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭hippu

hey, ncad isnt a " head in the book" college, i went to their open day and have friends in it and it all seems to be very practically orientated, i think youre right about the fine art focus though, i dont think they have much going for ya if you wanna do animation or multimedia kindof stuff. plus you dont apply for ncad on the cao, which is pretty sweet as youve got nothing to lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

hippu wrote:
    hey, ncad isnt a " head in the book" college, i went to their open day and have friends in it and it all seems to be very practically orientated, i think youre right about the fine art focus though, i dont think they have much going for ya if you wanna do animation or multimedia kindof stuff. plus you dont apply for ncad on the cao, which is pretty sweet as youve got nothing to lose
    Hey Paul, you're an NCAD student now and so am I.

NCAD is quite practical and probably more fine art orientated, but the design faculty is still pretty good.

About 1 in 5 applicants get in, but don't let that scare you. Their process is virtually by random selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

I was going to apply, but then decided it wasnt for me- it was kinda the reputation as opposed to the courses that drew me to it! i think i just gonna apply to DIT and IADT instead now, they seem more design based, rather than fine art.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Was talking to a guy in NCAD today about portfolios etc. He's doing education and says it's brilliant. I think I'll be putting down vis comm in IADT first though still, just about finished my portfolio.

I wish i was a bit more ahead on my portfolio..

What are your finished pieces Daddio?

• Advertisement

Paintings of the ol' saxophone, and also this weird bone theing I found on the beach. I have a theme of exploring space and depth. Both objects are really interesting to draw, which is important enough. I love using charcoal, it's easy and very quick to finish. You can actually do a lot with it also.

Have you got a theme to yours Shrimp?

Mine has a general theme of Growth and Decay. At the moment I'm doing a traditinol still life which I composed. It's Check Cloth, eggs on it, Block of butter on a dish with a knife in it, then a jug in the back.

how about your other pieces?

I've done some A2 paintings of an African flute and an "Asian Pear", different tonal studies/ colour etc just have to get more textural 3d work for next weekend, so I'll get a good bit done tomorrow hopefully. I've done a 3d sculpture that I'm happy enough with and designed a magazine last year aswell so I'll put them in I think.

I need to do a 3d.. what was yours off, and what about the sketchpads?

Advertisement