Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manual Skydish tuning

• 02-01-2005 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Folks.

I recently upgraded to sky+ and decided to give my old sky box to my Father, who had an old analogue system, with very little except RTL etc.

I just swapped the LNB's on the dish, assuming that the same dish will work with sky digital (?)

However, I spent nearly 4 hours today trying to find the satellite manually- (I could not get my hands on a sat meter).

Can anyone confirm that the old dish will work with the new LNB, and anyone got any ideas of where to find the sat without a compass or a meter??
    I tried lining up roughly in the same direction as the house next door, but I couldn't get any readings at all on the signal test/set-up page (had the telly outside on a chair).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

If it is an old analogue system, then the LNB probably doesn't have the frequency range required and will need to be upgraded to a Universal LNB, like the ones recently on sale in Lidl.

To align the dish for Astra2 where the Sky and BBC channels are located, set the elevation of the dish to somewhere between 20-22 deg and aim it towards the direction of the sun between 9.00am and 9.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that I 'DID' replace the LNB also, with the old sky LNB from my first set up. (The sky+ requires a dual LNB so I had to get a new one).

I think I may invest in a protractor + compass!!

Anyone any ideas on those 'satfinders' in Lidl for a tenner??
    At that price, it probably wouldn't tell you what satellite you were tuned to, which is not much use considering there are so many?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Anyone any ideas on those 'satfinders' in Lidl for a tenner??
    They're a definite sanity saver for the money. Although, they only stock them from time to time.

Advertisement