Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30 30 lever action

• 26-02-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just fired Hibrions 30 30 winchester today and I want/really need one! Any one know where to pick one up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Just fired Hibrions 30 30 winchester today and I want/really need one! Any one know where to pick one up?

4gun bought one a couple of weeks ago, i am looking forward to having a go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Love to get one now.

I'm just after getting the license for my MarlIn 1894 in .38spl/357mag and like the lever action setup

Im reading good reports on the new hornaday
    Leverevolution ammo in 30 30. It has a soft balistic tip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Lads, is 30/30 deer legal?

Jonty wrote: »
    Lads, is 30/30 deer legal?

It certainly is.

http://www.buckhuntersblog.com/winchester-30-30-americas-deer-cartridge

Do a search and your get better and more answers.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-160-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

There's a John Wayne commorative Model 1894 in Aim & Swing in Mountnugent.

Not sure of the exact calibre, think it might be a 32-40 but I could be very easily mistaken.

It's a stunning piece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

id love one of these also great bit of kit. but after the 9 monthe of phone call, 2 meetings and a gun change i dont think i could go thru it all again for a restricted licence :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

dax121 wrote: »
    id love one of these also great bit of kit. but after the 9 monthe of phone call, 2 meetings and a gun change i dont think i could go thru it all again for a restricted licence :mad:

Please explain why a 30-30 calibre rifle/carbine is restricted? Is it because of the magazine capacity?

tac

extremetaz wrote: »
    There's a John Wayne commorative Model 1894 in Aim & Swing in Mountnugent.

Not sure of the exact calibre, think it might be a 32-40 but I could be very easily mistaken.

It's a stunning piece!

Yup, that's the calibre - also known as 32-40 Ballard. Ammunition might be hard to find, though, as it is passing rare in Yoorup.

Last price I checked was $28-33/20 from Ventura ammunition.

The one for sale in Ireland might well be the only one there is.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

dax121 wrote: »

it's not a restricted licence, 3030win has a bullet diameter of .308;) i bought one myself a few months ago for deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I had a few shots with Cupid Stunt's custom tikka today too! An awesome rifle. I know it certainly shoots better than I can anyway ;)

I got my 30-30 from a dealer in the Uk. Keep your eye on guntrader.co.uk and you might pick up a nice one. If you're going for the winchester, try get one made before 1964.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's a barrel of fun, eh C_S? Not much kick for the weight either.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

It's a barrel of fun, eh C_S? Not much kick for the weight either.

I loved it.. accurate too. Was hitting a ten inch gong consistently at 100yds standing.. Would love to kill a deer with it. Well done today Hibrion, You did well in difficult circumstances and with a strange rifle. Welcome to mountain sika stalking!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Aye, was shooting it at a bottle yesterday and it looked like it was missing on either side. Got up and the bottle was full of holes, so very nice to handle and shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

does the 30/30 not have a mag capacity of more than 10 rounds if its lever action?thought that made them restricted

6 rounds and it wouldn't matter anyway since it's a centre fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

bazza888 wrote: »
    does the 30/30 not have a mag capacity of more than 10 rounds if its lever action?thought that made them restricted

Centrefires have no mag capacity limit, that's only rimfires.

Welcome to mountain sika stalking!

And a seriously good welcome it was.. couldn't have asked for better! :D

no the pistol calibres would do, but not the rifle calibres. A 3030 is 7.62x51R [R for rimmed] And they usually come with a 16" 20" sometimes "24 inch barrel so you can only fit 6 in the mag and one up the spout. also all the pistol calibres would be restricted on the bullet diameter anyways bar the .22 but you need to get the mag plugged then also or it'd be restricted as they are above ten. also none of the pistol calibres would meet the requirements for deer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

that makes sense:rolleyes::D i was keeping away from the lever actions because ithought they were restricted due to the ammo used and mag capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

should have my licence back during the week...
    If any one else is interested in getting a 30-30, Brian Duffy gave me a great price on a new marlin. I also was in contact with a second dealer who had a second hand winchester made in the '90s
    In the end I picked up a very handy one that was going at a price that was hard to let go, the gun need a bit of tlc, but these guns last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

tac foley wrote: »
    Please explain why a 30-30 calibre rifle/carbine is restricted? Is it because of the magazine capacity?

tac

It isn't. But a .32/40 would be. As they say across the pond - go figure.

Sandy22 wrote: »
    It isn't. But a .32/40 would be. As they say across the pond - go figure.

I didn't say it was, but dax did - hence my question -

Quote - id love one of these also great bit of kit. but after the 9 monthe of phone call, 2 meetings and a gun change i dont think i could go thru it all again for a restricted licence mad.gif End Quote

tac

for anyone who would like to know more

the 30-30 is so named because it uses a 30 calibre bullet, originally factory loaded with 30 grains of powder.
    It is deer legal in Ireland
    the tube magazine has a capacity of 6 rounds +1 in breech
    there is a fair variety of different bullet weights available
    It is not a restricted gun
    as the lads have already stated there is very little recoil which means you should be able to stay on target for a succession of quick shots,

there should be more of them in the country :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Due to the tubular nature of the magazine, Can pointed bullets be used? or do they have to be flat nosed style bullets

the only factory spitzer type bullets for the 3030 are the hornady leverevolition ftx bullets which use a soft rubber tip. if it were a thing we were allowed to reload you could have one in the chamber one in the mag for a follow up shot. but you cant load up a full mag as the recoil could start a chain reaction in the mag which would'nt end well.

juice1304 wrote: »
    the only factory spitzer type bullets for the 3030 are the hornady leverevolition ftx bullets which use a soft rubber tip. if it were a thing we were allowed to reload you could have one in the chamber one in the mag for a follow up shot. but you cant load up a full mag as the recoil could start a chain reaction in the mag which would'nt end well.

You can load up the mag full with the round nose and leverevolition ftx bullets. Is the "recoil could start a chain reaction in the mag" not a bit of a myth.

clivej wrote: »
    You can load up the mag full with the round nose and leverevolition ftx bullets. Is the "recoil could start a chain reaction in the mag" not a bit of a myth.

not really the ftx use a soft tip so it compresses when you chamber another round and when the gun recoils but i would'nt risk loading the mag with fmj's or anything with a hard pointy tip. the round nose are ok as there is more surface area. maybe it is a myth but i would'nt want to find out, it'd be like detonating a pipe bomb under your chin.

It is most certainly NOT a myth, else ammunition would not be marked 'NOT suitable for use in arms with tubular magazines'.

Nor is the rounded/flat nose of the bullet intended for use in any lever action tube magazine firearm there as a designer whim.

You will notice that the flat on the bullet - or even the radius of the semi-round nose, is larger than the diameter of the primer.

This is NOT an accident.

When these guns were originally designed - see the Volcanic Repeating Arms Co. Inc - ALL bullets were round-nosed.

My inspired guess is that one upon a time a guy with more adventure than brains thought it would be interesting to see what happened when you put a pointy bullet in such a gun, and found out the hard way.

In firearms design, there are some things that you really DO have to take on trust, so trust me on this one, eh?

And when the RoI finally gets reloading for all - PLEASE don't try it. We really don't want to read about you in the Darwin Awards columns.

tac, Winchester Model 94 shooter since 1956.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

tac foley wrote: »
    I didn't say it was, but dax did - hence my question -

Quote - id love one of these also great bit of kit. but after the 9 monthe of phone call, 2 meetings and a gun change i dont think i could go thru it all again for a restricted licence mad.gif End Quote

tac
    taught i read somewhere someone was applying for a restricted licence for one of these. my bad :(

• Advertisement

grant letter received to day, should be able to pick up mine in the next few days :D:D
    ...last day of deer season too, sobb :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement