Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

She hasn't pulled the trigger yet anyway as far as I can see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Karen112 wrote: »
    i noticed that first thing. Really annoys me to see people still do that, nevermind that the photographer missed it too.....:rolleyes:

If you think about it though the tags are designed back to front.
    The logical thing would be to have the point going into the concave part of the ear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

If you think about it though the tags are designed back to front.
    The logical thing would be to have the point going into the concave part of the ear

Exactly, alot easier to do it the wrong way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't know the lady, but I'd say she's tagged more calves in a year than some of us on here will do in 10years!(she's milking 180cows and God knows how many heifers she calves down each year) Her husband has some form of disability which means that she does the lion's share of the work on the farm.

I don't think there's one of us that hasn't EVER put a tag on wrong at some stage. And that's without a camera stuck in your face! If you wanted to be picky her posture is all wrong too. She should be kneeling down over the calf with her back straight!

But I suppose we wouldn't be Irish if we weren't knocking the doers.

Your dead right she probably has tagged a lot more but im just saying you would think someone would have spotted it before it was put on the front page of the paper. I wasnt having a go at her by any means.

just do it wrote: »
    What's your plan with the heifers, sell them or breed them?

Breed the best of them is the plan at the moment anyway. Its hard to beat your own stock. You dont know what your buying in the mart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

you would think someone would have spotted it before it was put on the front page of the paper.

Agreed. I'd be the same as you. Grand making the odd mistake, but it's different in a public forum.

Poorly worded, spelt and punctuated newspaper articles, signs etc are pet peeves of mine! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Breed the best of them is the plan at the moment anyway. Its hard to beat your own stock. You dont know what your buying in the mart.

And jeez the time to go out and source stock that you like! I agree with you, best way to go. Particularly if you can use some AI on the better cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

i dont see the mart as a burden or even work. i think its more like a live version of boards where you discuss different aspects of farming, compare stock and watch whats bringing in the dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Anyone else going to the Fatstock in Carrick on Sunday? Neighbour of mine is bringing one so I'm wandering over:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

fr298size580.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

first timer that calved a bit early, nice heifer but had a tiny calf, she calved on slats and was half perished when i found her, is coming around now but heifer wont let her suck unless i lock her up, she wont kick her once she is locked but wont stand for her otherwise..the joys of it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Lovely heifer vander. I have a cow that does the same thing every year when she calves for the first two days and after that she lets the calf suck no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's a lovely heifer vander. And I see you've the full headgate. A strong job, she's not going to warp that no matter how cracked the cow is!

Muckit wrote: »
    That's a lovely heifer vander. And I see you've the full headgate. A strong job, she's not going to warp that no matter how cracked the cow is!

true although its hard to get them to put their head out..hence the trough out front! the gate closes in to make a short crush, this weekend I must remove the bottom bar altogether so the calf will have access to udder, currently the bottom bar is in the way which is why the gate is open in that shot..
    its a 2nd hand skulling gate, 70 euro and a gate hanging post from coop which is 80 i think and a made up gate for the crush itself, very cheap and simple and probably the one thig I couldnt manage without in the winter

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Lovely heifer vander. I have a cow that does the same thing every year when she calves for the first two days and after that she lets the calf suck no problem.

ya im waiting for it to click with this cow but no joy yet

fr298size580.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

first timer that calved a bit early, nice heifer but had a tiny calf, she calved on slats and was half perished when i found her, is coming around now but heifer wont let her suck unless i lock her up, she wont kick her once she is locked but wont stand for her otherwise..the joys of it :rolleyes:

That's a bear of a cow Vander! Lovely animal, does she have milk breeding in her? Nice set up too, we have no crush in the slats but a dry shed connected direct opposite with two calving pens. Our animals are all well used of the place to cross the three boards into the feeding area when they need to leave for calving. In hindsight, having a set up in the lying area like that would be better but sure no harm. What's the sire out of interest?

What's the sire out of interest?

50 quid says its a part:D

50 quid says its a part:D

I say an easy LM :D:D

I say an easy LM :D:D

you owe redzer 50 :D
    in fairness to him he is easy calving but that calf is particularly small, she is a bit before her time. Took me a while to figure out who had actually calved her!
    cow has no particular breeding, her mother was same build black cow, couldnt say for sure if she was lim cross or angus cross, lots of milk, culled her this autumn as she had bad mastitis. this cows sire would have been cf52 bull, ive kept on plenty of my own heifers from him and have not had issues with milk and this cow seems ok in that regard as well

you owe redzer 50 :D
    in fairness to him he is easy calving but that calf is particularly small, she is a bit before her time. Took me a while to figure out who had actually calved her!
    cow has no particular breeding, her mother was same build black cow, couldnt say for sure if she was lim cross or angus cross, lots of milk, culled her this autumn as she had bad mastitis. this cows sire would have been cf52 bull, ive kept on plenty of my own heifers from him and have not had issues with milk and this cow seems ok in that regard as well

Dagnammit! Redzer, I'll give you 50 commission off a christmas dinner! If I could only have seen the calf's nose... Are you big into the Parts then Vander? You sold a couple there recently at a good price. Any idea who bought them?

Dagnammit! Redzer, I'll give you 50 commission off a christmas dinner! If I could only have seen the calf's nose... Are you big into the Parts then Vander? You sold a couple there recently at a good price. Any idea who bought them?
    no not big into them at all, those few I sold were my first PT calves. i think they are nice cattle, not convinced that they will have huge impact in ireland. I used bull only on a few heifers this year and left a CH bull with main herd. not sure what i will do next year, might leave some with PT and some with CH.

• Advertisement

no not big into them at all, those few I sold were my first PT calves. i think they are nice cattle, not convinced that they will have huge impact in ireland. I used bull only on a few heifers this year and left a CH bull with main herd. not sure what i will do next year, might leave some with PT and some with CH.

From what I've heard over the years I've worked with cattle, not many Irish :pfarmers like black noses:confused: I am still bemused to hear people say that but it goes on. The Irish are a feckin' stubborn breed, CH cattle are the top!
    In all fairness though, it's very hard to beat a good CH store. Were you aiming for the export with the parts?

From what I've heard over the years I've worked with cattle, not many Irish :pfarmers like black noses:confused: I am still bemused to hear people say that but it goes on. The Irish are a feckin' stubborn breed, CH cattle are the top!
    In all fairness though, it's very hard to beat a good CH store. Were you aiming for the export with the parts?

nah, my CH bull got wicked there in his 2nd season out of the blue, I suppose I just wanted to try something different at the time and was considering a blue and a few other breeds, I had seen the Pt cattle somewhere and like them and kinda went from there. the purebred PT cattle are lovely, must buy a few heifers at some stage. But as you say they are not everyones cup of tea

I'm a Blonde woman myself (My dad hates them) so I have no experience with PT. I was undecided between PT/MA or BA to put on a PB LM this year, so far she's thrown heifers for 6 years...... Sod's feckin law if I get a bull this year!

I'm a Blonde woman myself (My dad hates them) so I have no experience with PT. I was undecided between PT/MA or BA to put on a PB LM this year, so far she's thrown heifers for 6 years...... Sod's feckin law if I get a bull this year!

ya dont know much about blonde but they are interesting, seem to really produce when crossed with blue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Good heifer no doubt especially seeing as she should have milk! I bet that calf as a weanling will be as good as any of them. There's too much emphasis by lads on the size of the calf. It's their size at weaning that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I just wondered what the limit any of ye lads would spend on a good bulling heifer?

Some people not moving with the prices IMO ie. take E900 to E1200 for a right good weanling straight off of the cow (bit of meal alright) yet begrudgingly go 1200 but not over 1300 on a right good heifer fit for the bull?! someone has been feeding her somewhere for two winters like ?!!

Bodacious wrote: »
    I just wondered what the limit any of ye lads would spend on a good bulling heifer?

Some people not moving with the prices IMO ie. take E900 to E1200 for a right good weanling straight off of the cow (bit of meal alright) yet begrudgingly go 1200 but not over 1300 on a right good heifer fit for the bull?! someone has been feeding her somewhere for two winters like ?!!

have never bought a heifer, was tempted to buy a pair of Lim weanlings heifers a few weeks back to keep on and breed but only because I knew the guy selling, in the end I didnt bother as I have enough stock at mo. I think I would prefer buy nice weanling and put her in calf myself

Bodacious wrote: »

Went to 960 on a 340kg weanling a few weeks ago.....more out of thickness than actually wanting her at that money, Theres always some hoor up the back. Too much moneys for me tho and to be honest I bought nicer last year for around 600, Didnt go to the mart since:o

have never bought a heifer, was tempted to buy a pair of Lim weanlings heifers a few weeks back to keep on and breed but only because I knew the guy selling, in the end I didnt bother as I have enough stock at mo. I think I would prefer buy nice weanling and put her in calf myself

Oh im the same i think we probably are all the same, even give a bit more when you know the seller, the milkiness of the dam, reason for selling etc

But when a neighbour rolls out one, good quality, 100%, genuine reason for selling, ready for the bull, dead quiet.. it beats keeping a weanling for 2 winters to get her to that point

• Advertisement

Went to 960 on a 340kg weanling a few weeks ago.....more out of thickness than actually wanting her at that money, Theres always some hoor up the back. Too much moneys for me tho and to be honest I bought nicer last year for around 600, Didnt go to the mart since:o

That was a fair rattle alright Red but its what the fancy ones are going alright. Saw some great heifer weanlings sold here last year for round 6-650 same lads that sold them buying back bulling heifers this year at probably double the money! A crystal ball would have been wild handy last year, id have bought the world of good heifer weanlings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement