Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house from my Mother

• 05-10-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey boards.ie, I saw some great advice regarding this kind of stuff somewhere so I joined to ask.

I'm wondering is is possible to buy my Mother's house at about 1/3rd the estimated market price.

Because the value of the house is under €255,000, or whatever the CAT threshold is, does this mean I am exempt from paying any CAT?

How does property tax and stamp duty work if I pay less than market value, or do I have to pay PT and SD on the estimated market value irrespective of what I am paying?

I can provide more information I'm just unsure what else might be relevant. Thanks in advance for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think revenue liabilities are calculated on values rather than costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I was in this boat a few years ago. House potential value was 440k and bought for 380k, but the assessor valued the house as I requested (380k) to get under the stamp duty margin at the time. Property tax will also be based on estimated value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Revenue calculates transactions on a cost basis unless it occurs between connected parties in which case liabilities are calculated on a value basis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Because the value of the house is under €255,000, or whatever the CAT threshold is, does this mean I am exempt from paying any CAT?

How does property tax and stamp duty work if I pay less than market value, or do I have to pay PT and SD on the estimated market value irrespective of what I am paying?

This is a request for legal/taxation advice.

Answering these questions incorrectly could cost a lot of money.

OP, please read the forum charter before posting again.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement