Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotels and TVs

• 22-12-2004 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Guys,
    general question. How do hotels relay channels to all their tellys? Even if they only relay FTA channels via satelitte, does it literally mean that they have a cupboards somewhere with say 10 boxes outputing 10 different channels each to all the tellys in the hotel?
    In other words, how do they show CNN, Sky News, Sky One, BBC1 etc if they are not in a cable area and need to use a decoder...something I alweays wondered about...Xmas pressie for me if someone tells me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Good question!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

They pull in the signal the same as everyone else throught a dish and then the signal is worked throught Headend decoders that converts it into signals capable of sending it throught RF cables.
    click for your present

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

I work on board a ship,we have 12 decoders one for BBC1,BBC2,ITV,CH4,CH5,RTE1,RTE2,TV3,TG4,SKY SP1,SKY SP2,&SKY SP3 OR XTRA.They are all on different RF channels eg;BBC1 Ch 23 and RTE1 Ch 33,then they are fed into a 12 way splitter which in turn is fed into different sections of the ship.At this point it is split again depending on how many tv sets it needs to supply.Hope this answers your query.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, basically it's a massive pile of receivers which are then fed into a headend distributer.

In January, I'll be finishing a job where there a total of 15 digital receivers (2 of which have FTV cards) - 8 on Astra 2, 7 on Astra 1. On top of this will be a radio tuner which will be used with a Text Inserter and also 5 DVD players with modulators :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I was actually thinking of this over christmas as well (not on Christmas Day though :eek: ), and managed to convince myself there had to be some kind of multituner that would work out as a cheaper and easier option.... So as the technology stands, you'd be better off with reciever per room, unless you want telly's in more than 10 rooms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How do ships keep on line with the satellite? Especially when in rough seas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭intersplat

Easy with a stabilized Satellite TV dish .

"Designed for power and sail boats as small as 30 feet, the Model 1898S boasts Sea Tel's smallest size and lightest weight ever, and the quietest operation of any fully stabilized marine satellite system in the market. Capitalizing on Sea Tel's worldwide leadership in big system TV-at-Sea, the Model 1898S combines TruePoint tracking with Sea Tel's superior three axis, solid state stabilization system to deliver the quietest, most responsive, fully-stabilized, small antenna for satellite TV-at-Sea available anywhere. Sea Tel's Model 1898S is unique in its versatility in the USA and in Europe (Model 1898E). In the US the Model 1898S, using circular polarization, works equally well with DIRECTV ® , USSB ® and Dish Network ® . In Europe the Model 1898E, using linear polarization, receives all the new digital services from Astra and Eutelsat. In addition, the Model 1898S will receive digital programming services in Japan, Korea, Asia-Pacific, and all the new high-powered satellite services being introduced around the world. Programming choices with the Model 1898S and Model 1898E are tremendous. Mariners in the US can select hundreds of channels of TV programming and digital music including HBO, CNN, ESPN, professional and college sports, Bloomberg, movies, the Weather Channel and much, much more. In Europe the selection includes all the new digital services from Astra (Sky) and Eutelsat. Sea Tel's Model 1898S gives the smaller boat owner the chance to watch his or her favorite TV, sports, movies and news programming whether the boat is anchored or underway in rough weather and adverse sea conditions. The Model 1898S features an attractive above decks radome measuring 21 inches high and 20 inches in diameter. The antenna dish is 18 inches in diameter. The above deck unit weighs 33 lb. Below decks, the Model 1898S connects to 12 volt DC current and features only a small (3x5) panel-mounted control unit for operating the system. MSRP ranges from approximately $5500 depending upon configuration and F.O.B. point."

http://www.seatel.com/products/dbsdth.html

Advertisement