Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just noticed on my ESTA form....

Options
  • 24-08-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Myself and the girlfriend applied for ESTAs a little under two years ago which were approved and used to travelled with no problems whatsoever. They're still valid until November 12 and we're off back to the States next week so, as you do, we've updated and printed them off. Here's where are problem comes in, when we got them printed out the box where it says 'Country of Birth' comes up blank on both as if they had not been filled in?? Has this happened to anyone here?

It's not something you can update on the form itself and it couldn't be a case of me not filling in that part as it appears on both ESTAs and yet we've already travelled on both. The funny thing is I filled out an ESTA form during the week for my brother who is coming with us this time and the blank space doesn't appear on his? Is this going to be a problem or shall I just fly with it :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

you should update your application anyway (costs nothing) https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Update the Flight number you are coming in on and the address that you are staying. Makes things easier

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

smog wrote: »
    you should update your application anyway (costs nothing) https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Update the Flight number you are coming in on and the address that you are staying. Makes things easier

Sorry mate I think you've misread my post. I've already updated them, the problem lies with the blank space coming up underneath 'Country Of Birth' which is not something you can update on an ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You don't need to print it out. Just how up with your passport.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    You don't need to print it out. Just how up with your passport.

I know mate I just print them out for personal record more so than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you've already travelled on the current ESTA then I wouldn't worry about it.

Your existing 2010 ESTA approval will show up on the US Immigration system when they enter your passport numbers. They can't really say there's something wrong with that approval when you've already presented at US Immigration and been admitted on a tourist visa on that approval.

If the approval was defective it would have caused problems in Nov. 2010, it didn't so there's nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    If you've already travelled on the current ESTA then I wouldn't worry about it.

Your existing 2010 ESTA approval will show up on the US Immigration system when they enter your passport numbers. They can't really say there's something wrong with that approval when you've already presented at US Immigration and been admitted on a tourist visa on that approval.

If the approval was defective it would have caused problems in Nov. 2010, it didn't so there's nothing to worry about.

Cheers mate, exactly what I was thinking myself, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something we would be pulled over. I always print out my ESTA for personal record and I have both the one I used in Nov 10 and the updated one im using now and the blank space in question doesn't even show up on the old one (if that makes sense). Strange one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 traceymcg

hi was just wondering how you got on, i have just updated my boyfriends esta and the same thing has happened to his a blank where place of birth should be, i was wondering should i pay for new esta to avoid any hassle or is this esat fine, dont know what to do,please help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

** Moving from defunct USA/ Canada travel forum to USA form. PLease do not use the old forum ****

traceymcg wrote: »
    hi was just wondering how you got on, i have just updated my boyfriends esta and the same thing has happened to his a blank where place of birth should be, i was wondering should i pay for new esta to avoid any hassle or is this esat fine, dont know what to do,please help

It's probably coming up blank for the simple reason that it's a field you're not allowed to change. It's definitely a field you have to fill in when making the original application so there's no way that his original application was approved with that field blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 traceymcg

i know it is a field that definitely has to be filled in,his application was approved in 2011 and he travelled on it then with no problem,but when it was updated this time when printed place of birth was blank.i also did 3 new applications and our has place of birth thats why i was wondering woukd it cause a problem

• Advertisement

traceymcg wrote: »
    i know it is a field that definitely has to be filled in,his application was approved in 2011 and he travelled on it then with no problem,but when it was updated this time when printed place of birth was blank.i also did 3 new applications and our has place of birth thats why i was wondering woukd it cause a problem

Printing an ESTA is a complete waste of time, it's tied to your passport number and when they look it up on their system they either find it or they don't, waving a piece of paper at them will achieve nothing.

If the ESTA has not expired and you've already travelled on it then go and use it again, otherwise for peace of mind get your credit card and spend $14 on a new one - your choice.

You said that the place of birth was visible when you applied for new ESTAs, that doesn't contradict anything I have said. When you go in to update an existing ESTA, all you have to supply is details like flight numbers and the address of where you propose to stay on your first night in the US, I wouldn't go looking for problems with the other data.

Your place of birth can't have changed since the ESTA was originally approved, why would they give you the option to change it or even bother to remind you of where you were born?

If the original ESTA was approved then stop worrying about it or go buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but i have a somewhat similar issue - i recently filled out my ESTA form and was accepted to go to the US. The only thing i am worried about is that i wrote down that i planned to go to California (but did not give details on where). However after checking ticket prices i saw that New York is both cheaper and faster to reach (i'm currently living in China btw). I tried to change that online but the website only allows you to adjust a few details and intended state is not one of them... although you can change where you first plan to stay when you arrive. If i go to New York instead of California, is that going to be a problem for me? Any thoughts on what i should (or shouldn't) do?

stannis wrote: »
    I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but i have a somewhat similar issue - i recently filled out my ESTA form and was accepted to go to the US. The only thing i am worried about is that i wrote down that i planned to go to California (but did not give details on where). However after checking ticket prices i saw that New York is both cheaper and faster to reach (i'm currently living in China btw). I tried to change that online but the website only allows you to adjust a few details and intended state is not one of them... although you can change where you first plan to stay when you arrive. If i go to New York instead of California, is that going to be a problem for me? Any thoughts on what i should (or shouldn't) do?

Get the zipcode of the place you will spend the first night, I believe that's all they need. If you're staying in a hotel, it will be on their website, if you're staying with a friend, get it off them. Don't worry about where you intend to go after that.

You can use a single ESTA as often as you like i.e. for multiple trips within the two year validity so multiple changes to the intended destination on the first night are allowed.

Advertisement