Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

I just saw that there is a Beginner's Machine KNitting Class on in Dublin in the yarn shop The Constant Knitter on Francis St in dublin, this coming Sat 13th june.
    link: http://www.theconstantknitter.ie/
    It says:
    Beginner Machine Knitting class - Sat 13 June

We have machines but bring your own if you have one. Yarns supplied. Places limited.

(There is a teacher's contact email provided, if you go to the Constant Knitter website above, but I do not want to put someone else's email address into this message).
    What I am thinking is that maybe the people at the Constant Knitter, or the tutor herself, would know where knitting machines can be serviced in Dublin, and/or parts bought, even if you did not want to take the actual MK class this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Hi knitting community I'm clearing out the attic in preparation for a conversion and theirs and old knitting machine up their and possibly a sewing machine.
    Are these to be skipped of do they have any sort of value at all? I'm sorry I don't have any more info until I get them out but I'd say they are from the 70's or 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No No No, all knitting machines are loved!

As they are no longer made, often people may have to buy a few to get a full working set.

Depending on the machine it worth €70 to €250 just as it it. You can even leave the dust on the box!

My first machine took me 6 months to clean and service, its from 1979 and it works perfectly now and has done for the last 15 years.

If you can get a picture even of the box/case, i can give you more info.

Same for older sewing machines. Someone gave me a metal Noveom, its only has two stitches and its brilliant, it compliments my modern Singer perfectly. Value of the sewing machine €50 plus as long as it works. The pedal is important with the sewing machine, you can replace but it could be as much as the machine.

iamtony wrote: »
    an old knitting machine.......
    agreeing with wpmdd, don't chuck the knitting machine in the skip.
    Let us know if there is any code on it or even brand name. Brother/Toshiba/etc. What colour are the buttons on the machine?

However, please don't let anyone run the carriage across the bed of the machine, as the machine will definitely need to have its 'sponge bar' replaced, and without a new sponge bar, the needles can get bent or broken if you run the carriage across them.
    What part of the country are you in, sometimes the Art students in the Art colleges want machines for their knitting projects? but it will have to be cleaned and serviced before it's ready for use.
    I have the number for a Knitting Machine Service man in Shannon Co Clare, just saying....

I'm told the sowing machine isn't actually up their anymore it was given away.

Anyway you have perked my interest in the knitting machine so I just asked my father about it. He thinks it's made by Philips and he actually bought it in the early 60's! He said it worked the last time he used it, which was to knit my school jumpers in the 80's. I still haven't got up and looked at it but I think the case it's in is kind of an army green colour.

• Advertisement

duckling10 wrote: »
    agreeing with wpmdd, don't chuck the knitting machine in the skip.
    Let us know if there is any code on it or even brand name. Brother/Toshiba/etc. What colour are the buttons on the machine?

However, please don't let anyone run the carriage across the bed of the machine, as the machine will definitely need to have its 'sponge bar' replaced, and without a new sponge bar, the needles can get bent or broken if you run the carriage across them.
    What part of the country are you in, sometimes the Art students in the Art colleges want machines for their knitting projects? but it will have to be cleaned and serviced before it's ready for use.
    I have the number for a Knitting Machine Service man in Shannon Co Clare, just saying....
    I m in north Dublin. I'll hop up and have a quick look now see what I can see and get a picture....

Here's the best I could get its pretty old and greasy looking in fairness

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Interesting and good god you know your machines. So any idea of its value?

Its an odd one. Well worth putting it on ebay. If it was in perfect condition, it would be €200 plus. Its would have cost as much as a small car, the person probably paid it off over a year with the shop, so the original owner may not be at all happy that thats all its worth!

I can look into it further, and get back to you.

You'd probably be shipping it and as its longer than 3 feet only certain couriers take it, but anyone buying machines knows that and will pay for shipping and insurance.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its an odd one. Well worth putting it on ebay. If it was in perfect condition, it would be €200 plus. Its would have cost as much as a small car, the person probably paid it off over a year with the shop, so the original owner may not be at all happy that thats all its worth!

I can look into it further, and get back to you.

You'd probably be shipping it and as its longer than 3 feet only certain couriers take it, but anyone buying machines knows that and will pay for shipping and insurance.

That would be great thanks. Personally I wouldn't bother with the eBay and the shipping etc. so if anyone is interested send me a PM and I'd let it off cheap enough. My father thought it was thrown out years ago until I asked him about it tonight.

Thanks again for sharing your freakishly good knowledge on the subject:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 karreys

iamtony wrote: »
    Hi knitting community I'm clearing out the attic in preparation for a conversion and theirs and old knitting machine up their and possibly a sewing machine.
    Are these to be skipped of do they have any sort of value at all? I'm sorry I don't have any more info until I get them out but I'd say they are from the 70's or 80's.

Hi my name is karen,and I would like to get your machine up and running again if it is still available let me know and I can collect thanks...I live in kildare so not too far,I have fixed up an old knitmaster and is now working but would love to tryvthe double bed

karreys wrote: »
    Hi my name is karen,and I would like to get your machine up and running again if it is still available let me know and I can collect thanks...I live in kildare so not too far,I have fixed up an old knitmaster and is now working but would love to tryvthe double bed
    Hi Karen, I'll send you a private message about it now thanks.

Can anyone reccommend a knit tee pattern. I used to have one ages ago and he sleeves hung really nicely but I cant find it. Tension and needles dont matter I can grade the pattern.

I mean a top with just side seams, no arm hole seam.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I know what it's like to mislay a favourite pattern :( but I'm having a problem visualising the sleeves as you describe them. You may already be familiar with Patternfish and Elann.com but if not, I find they have great patterns and really useful search options (especially Patternfish). Elann have a good selection of free patterns to download as does the Drops website. If you can find an hour to kill, you may see what you're looking for or at least something close. Good luck!

Yep tried all those. I love drops and pebbles, Nordic patterns seem to look the most modern when made up.

I think I'm just going to Wing it.

I'm about to try one of their patterns for the first time, just waiting for the postman! Has anyone knit any of their patterns before, are they straightforward enough or very complicated? The pattern will be in English but the warning is that it's written in the continental style, whatever that is, and leaves it up to the knitter to interpret. I may be worrying about nothing and I do have a good bit of experience but I'm a little apprehensive. I love the pattern and have bought the wool so there's no turning back! Any tips would be helpful and much appreciated. Thanks folks.

The patterns are lovely and quite simple but the results are great. There's usual a diagram which love. Any problems, let us know! Do you have the pattern number? I have the catalogue here.

Thanks for coming back to me, it's reassuring to hear what you think. I'm used to written patterns and haven't used charts much other than knitting with different colours so you will be more than sick to death of me before long!!!
    I can't think where to look for the pattern number so here's a link to the pattern on Deramores. What do you think?

http://ie.deramores.com/crossover-shawl-collar-jacket-in-bergere-de-france-sport-429-04

This is very simple, all the decreases are outside of the pattern, like in the ditch!

The hardest bit will be getting into the swing of the pattern. DO a swatch!!! Honestly its a great time to get the pattern well planted in your head.

So when you get your pattern, knit a 40 row x 40 st swatch in the pattern. Or 10 sts and rows more than the tension guide.

You can always rip this piece back ad reuse if you run out of wool, like I always do. Make sure your needles are very comfy, you'll know them inimitably by the end of it!

You can get a bergere de france catalogue for free here, loads of inspiration.

http://www.bergeredefrance.co.uk/customer/account/create?utm_source=homebuttons

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the advice, I'm really looking forward to it now, rather than that butterfly feeling! I actually bought everything from their UK site so I've been there already but didn't think of a catalogue. I think I'll get this one under my belt and then take a closer look afterwards, although I've promised myself a project from Brooklyn Tweed next, love their patterns, especially their mens collection. Anyway, fingers xd and wish me luck! Thanks again, you're a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I'm just looking for suggestions....
    I'm off on holidays and will have a bit knitting time (yeah). I would like to take something with me - but something portable, easy and taking one or two balls. BTW I'm no sock knitter! I don't mind something that I could do duplicates of. Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A cowl? Plenty of nice patterns on Ravelry. In fact I'm doing the same myself. It'll be the first time I've picked up the needles in months!

I just did one! That might be a bit bulky, I'm doing a cardy at the minute and think it'll be too bulky to bring (and will annoy me too much if left behind or the kids get hold of it). What are you doing?

I've got some Debbie Bliss DK silk yarn - So I'll be taking that and a circular...

OOHH fancy!! I'm not confident that I could do it justice! Maybe another 10 years of practice!

Not really - bought the yarn from Deramore's in a sale! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

How about a shawl (basically a big triangle) with one of those 2 ply mohair type yarns, but knit on big needles (6mm upwards) to look lacy.
    I did one as a present for someone last Christmas and only used 50g (well, a fraction over).

@aknitter, I agree with TreasureBin, a shawl. I've just been on hols and I knit a shawl, and I knit one last year as well, my first shawl actually.

Not sure what level of knitting you are at, so here's the link to the pattern for the first shawl, Winter Sunrise Shawl, which leads to this blog.
    I modified it, the pattern is every line Purl, I did every line Knit.
    The triangular shape is made by the increases, which are created by Yarn Overs, 4 YO on every second line, spread out, 1 at each end of the line and 1 on either side of a central stitch which gives a wonderful spine effect to the shawl.
    It was very simple to master and no pattern as such to remember, just Yarn Over after first stitch of every second line, then knit to centre, yo before centre stitch, K1 then yo again and knit to last st, yo, knit last st. You can stop when you have 200 sts. You can also knit more if you want if you are tall and want a bit more length.
    You can choose any wool you have and needles just a little bigger than the wool would usually have so the knit is loose-ish. I used circulars, not joining the work just knitting over and back. Circulars are great (cheapie Lidl ones) because you don't run the risk of losing a needle and neither do you drop stitches when you leave down the work, you just push all stitches far back onto the loop and then roll up the work and it makes a small bundle until next time.
    If you want a more complicated shawl you can look at this one,
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lalas-simple-shawl
    it has mixture of garter stitch, stocking stitch and rows of eyelets created by YO, K2Tog, repeated across one line, very simple and very effective.

2 or 3 balls, pair of circs, printout of pattern, Bob's your uncle!

• Advertisement

Thanks duckling10, I've rethought the shawls and it maybe a runner! I've just started buying Knitpro circs and I'm a convert on the 4mm or bigger, I broke the 3.25 one I got so not impressed with the smaller sizes! Now I just have to go through the stash and see if I've anything suitable otherwise it'll be a trip to town!!!

Advertisement