Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorway from Dublin to Sligo Needed Badly

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jayop wrote: »
    That'd be dreamy.

Fixed post as I left out the standards for the last 4.

That's what's planned anyway. The only one to go ahead soon is the Castlebaldwin scheme. Much needed for safety reasons more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

My wife used to visit her gran on the Headford Road in Galway over 30years ago and stayed with her and reckons Galway was like the size and population of Sligo - I dunno when the M6 was built , but Sligo could be the next Galway maybe one day if they built a motorway (proper one) to sligo? no?

148km of M6 from Kinnegad to Galway -

148km of N4 from Kinnegad to Sligo

It could be possible same thing could be done?

even on the Irish Rail side of things we miss out when travelling from Dublin to Sligo on Irish Rail .. I am not sure where it is (could be after Dromad) but the railway tracks go down to single track and quite ropey (even though supposedly upgraded a few years back) so trains have to slow down.

I went to a talk a few years back and someone said the trains used to run up to Dublin from Sligo the journey would take 2hr 40mins ... but now these days (if there are no delays or holdups) it takes nearly 3 hours so that journey has in fact got longer.

So we cannot have trains running to their full potential/speed because of the track .... and the airport shut down and government funding taken away for that .. and now if we drive we cannot drive at 120kmh all or most of the way if we wanted to to get up to dublin - i see a pattern here , and the pattern is somewhat its not worth the government spending money on the north-west or allocating some much needed funds this way for major transport infrastructure for some reason ... but to 'keep people quiet' patch up bits and pieces of the route here and there

marno21 wrote: »
    Would you agree that:

N4 Collooney-Castlebaldwin Type 2
    N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod Type 2
    N4 Rooskey-Longford Type 2
    N4/M4 Longford-Mullingar Type 1/motorway standard
    N17 Tobercurry-Collooney Type 2
    N17 Tobercurry Bypass Type 2
    N15 Sligo to County Boundary Type 1/motorway for 6km + rest as Type 2
    N16 Sligo to County Boundary Type 1 Single Carriageway

would be more beneficial than the motorway to Dublin?

The above would cost the same or less.

I am not really sure wht this Type 2 and Type 1 busines means , I would have to look it up... I am taking a guess that Type 1 is better than type 2 ?

would be more beneficial than the motorway to Dublin? - well with my un-educated look at it no, - because all I can see is that you cannot do 120kmh on an N-Road .. and on an N-Road its not excuding tractors, cycles and learner drivers and other slow moving vehicles ... so no, I cannot see how N-Roads are more beneficial than a motorway really .. especially on such a long trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Could you see Traffic volumes getting near to necessitating a motorway and a massive increase in population in Sligo & the north west if a Motorway was built to Sligo and the Northwest? ;)

That's one way of looking at it I guess...

I would love to see a Motorway from Sligo to Dublin, I use the route quite often on my journey from Donegal down to Kildare.
    But I would certainly agree the Castlebaldwin stretch needs to be done asap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I am not really sure wht this Type 2 and Type 1 busines means , I would have to look it up... I am taking a guess that Type 1 is better than type 2 ?

would be more beneficial than the motorway to Dublin? - well with my un-educated look at it no, - because all I can see is that you cannot do 120kmh on an N-Road .. and on an N-Road its not excuding tractors, cycles and learner drivers and other slow moving vehicles ... so no, I cannot see how N-Roads are more beneficial than a motorway really .. especially on such a long trip.

Type 1 is Motorway Standard. Basically the HQDC (high quality dual carriageway) from Sligo to Collooney. Type 2, also known as 2+2, it's also two lanes in either direction, separated by high strength wire, with no hard shoulders.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Type 1 - 2x 3.5m running lanes, 2.5m hard shoulder, concrete central median, all junctions fully or compact grade seperated (same standard as the N4 around Mullingar or most of the N6, or the N4 around Ballisodare with slightly narrower lanes and a concrete median instead of grass)

Type 2 - 2x 3.5m running lanes, no hard shoulder, wire barrier, junctions roundabout or compact grade seperated. This is the same standard as the N4 Dromod/Roosky bypass and the planned Collooney-Castlebaldwin. C-C will have a grade seperated junction for Drumfin and a roundabout south of Castlebaldwin.

That's one way of looking at it I guess...

I would love to see a Motorway from Sligo to Dublin, I use the route quite often on my journey from Donegal down to Kildare.
    But I would certainly agree the Castlebaldwin stretch needs to be done asap...

Oh yeah so would I agree on that - money aside I would like to see the bad parts of the N4 upgraded and made safe .. but also alongside the N4 a nice new purpose built M4 running alongside it (I know money for one project is tight, let alone 2 projects with one being huge)

- but if there were 2 roads (The existing upgraded N4 and Motorway running next to it) - then the people who want to drive to dublin in car, coaches, commercial vehicles could travel 120kmh on the motorway and all the other traffic (traffic prohibited to driving on motorways) can travel on the N4 up to 100kmh at stretches - major accident ahead on the (mythical) motorway there could be signs on the motorway bridge saying "Accident ahead" then traffic could come off the next junction/slip road on the motorway and use the existing N4 to complete their travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

even on the Irish Rail side of things we miss out when travelling from Dublin to Sligo on Irish Rail .. I am not sure where it is (could be after Dromad) but the railway tracks go down to single track and quite ropey (even though supposedly upgraded a few years back) so trains have to slow down.

There is no demand for it. It doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of million to shave 20 mins off the journey. Sure you could shave 20 mins by cutting off stops along the route.
    and the airport shut down and government funding taken away for that ..

Lets not pretend Sligo Airport was a major international Airport. It had two flights a day to Dublin. If you wanted to fly Dublin to Sligo, it is about 40 mins from Dublin City to the Airport. By the time you do security, get to the gate etc you have lost another 30-40 mins. Drive from Sligo Airport to Sligo Town which is another 20-30mins. There is no real time saving. Sligo is not some remote Island off the mainland, it is well connected by the train and bus.
    i see a pattern here , and the pattern is somewhat its not worth the government spending money on the north-west or allocating some much needed funds this way for major transport infrastructure for some reason ... but to 'keep people quiet' patch up bits and pieces of the route here and there

If you lived in Dublin, you would see a pattern too. Almost 1.5m people live in Dublin, yet all they have gotten in the last 25 years is an upgrade to a congested motorway, a tunnel to take trucks off the congested streets and 2 Luas lines that don't cost the taxpayer a cent(the state profits from them). Yet the NW with 10% of the population of Dublin needs "much needed funds" as they dont like the extra 20 mins on their railway line or because they when they make the odd trip to Dublin they can't go faster?

Im sorry but I dont see how shaving 20 mins off your odd trip to Dublin trumps the massive infastructure spending the biggest city in Ireland needs. In Dublin, our council doesn't even patch our roads and they are used by tens of thousands per day...

newacc2015 wrote: »
    There is no demand for it. It doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of million to shave 20 mins off the journey. Sure you could shave 20 mins by cutting off stops along the route.

Lets not pretend Sligo Airport was a major international Airport. It had two flights a day to Dublin. If you wanted to fly Dublin to Sligo, it is about 40 mins from Dublin City to the Airport. By the time you do security, get to the gate etc you have lost another 30-40 mins. Drive from Sligo Airport to Sligo Town which is another 20-30mins. There is no real time saving. Sligo is not some remote Island off the mainland, it is well connected by the train and bus.

If you lived in Dublin, you would see a pattern too. Almost 1.5m people live in Dublin, yet all they have gotten in the last 25 years is an upgrade to a congested motorway, a tunnel to take trucks off the congested streets and 2 Luas lines that don't cost the taxpayer a cent(the state profits from them). Yet the NW with 10% of the population of Dublin needs "much needed funds" as they dont like the extra 20 mins on their railway line or because they when they make the odd trip to Dublin they can't go faster?

Im sorry but I dont see how shaving 20 mins off your odd trip to Dublin trumps the massive infastructure spending the biggest city in Ireland needs. In Dublin, our council doesn't even patch our roads and they are used by tens of thousands per day...

Ah yeah i totally agree - the capital of the country needs sorting out too ... but not at the expense of taking funds that could be allocated to other rural parts of Ireland to make the whole infrastructure better for all parts of Ireland which has population and a potential market for tourism and new business to start up that dont want to be located in Dublin.

- so to me personally the issue of getting from the northwest of Ireland to the capital in the shortest possible time is more important than what and what is not being done up in the capital , sorry it sounds so selfish but that is the way it is. - if you also had to travel out of your area to get medical treatment you would also realise what a pain it is to not have an efficient regular transport infrastructure and decent road structure in place for when the Train and Bus services are not running at the times you want them to run and the journey time they take to get to and from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

The HUGE issue for Donegal transport at the moment is having no idea what is going to happen with cross border transport when Brexit happens.
    If there's a sudden imposition of a customs border, it's going to make life very awkward for businesses up there and I could see more focus on going via the N4 from Letterkenny.

Obviously we have no idea what will happen yet as the UK government is completely clueless and has no idea either other than repeating "brexit means brexit" but it potentially has major implications for transport around the NW in future years.

We may also be able to get some kind of regional financial assistance as Brexit has direct impacts up there in a way it doesn't have anywhere else in the EU. So I'm thinking maybe some kind of European or even UK EU alimony might cover a revamp of the road network to mitigate the impact of Brexit.

Ah yeah i totally agree - the capital of the country needs sorting out too ... but not at the expense of taking funds that could be allocated to other rural parts of Ireland to make the whole infrastructure better for all parts of Ireland which has population and a potential market for tourism and new business to start up that dont want to be located in Dublin.

Dublin is the only county that pays more taxes than it gets in expenditure. What you are saying is Dubliner should pay more taxes if they want better services. The LPT on properties outside of Dublin is a joke. There McMansions paying less LPT than 1 bedroom apartments in poor parts of Dublin. Im sorry to break to you, but businesses dont want to locate outside of Dublin. The IDA will tell you this.
    - so to me personally the issue of getting from the northwest of Ireland to the capital in the shortest possible time is more important than what and what is not being done up in the capital , sorry it sounds so selfish but that is the way it is.

I admire you honesty. Admitting it is selfish, because it is. It selfish to think that the residents of an area that with 10% the population of Dublin deserves billions to be spent on upgrading roads so when they make the odd trip to Dublin that is quicker for them. Who cares about the fact the Dubliners who will pay for that road are stuck in their cars 2-3 hours per day in congestion in the city that nearly half of the state works in...
    - if you also had to travel out of your area to get medical treatment you would also realise what a pain it is to not have an efficient regular transport infrastructure and decent road structure in place for when the Train and Bus services are not running at the times you want them to run and the journey time they take to get to and from Dublin.

So let's spend billions on road, rail and air so the when the odd resident of the NW needs to travel to Dublin for medical care its quicker for them? Why not leave the house earlier?

I would love for the residents of the NW to spend a week living in Dublin. I have a feeling a lot of this thread are out of touch with how bad public transport is in Dublin. It is better than Sligo, but considering it has probably 30 times the population that is expected. You can spend over 90 mins getting from one part of the city to another during rush hour, but who cares about that? Lets take 20mins off the Sligo to Dublin rail line. That is really what's needed in Ireland...

It would be nice for the residents of the NW to get to Dublin quicker. But the money that will blow on that motorway could be much better spent in Dublin. Dubliners aren't asking for 20 mins off their semi-annual journey, they just want to be able to get across Dublin in less than 90 mins driving. Taking public transport, you are probably closer to 2 hours

Dublin is the only county that pays more taxes than it gets in expenditure. What you are saying is Dubliner should pay more taxes if they want better services. The LPT on properties outside of Dublin is a joke. There McMansions paying less LPT than 1 bedroom apartments in poor parts of Dublin. Im sorry to break to you, but businesses dont want to locate outside of Dublin. The IDA will tell you this.

I admire you honesty. Admitting it is selfish, because it is. It selfish to think that the residents of an area that with 10% the population of Dublin deserves billions to be spent on upgrading roads so when they make the odd trip to Dublin that is quicker for them. Who cares about the fact the Dubliners who will pay for that road are stuck in their cars 2-3 hours per day in congestion in the city that nearly half of the state works in...

So let's spend billions on road, rail and air so the when the odd resident of the NW needs to travel to Dublin for medical care its quicker for them? Why not leave the house earlier?

I would love for the residents of the NW to spend a week living in Dublin. I have a feeling a lot of this thread are out of touch with how bad public transport is in Dublin. It is better than Sligo, but considering it has probably 30 times the population that is expected. You can spend over 90 mins getting from one part of the city to another during rush hour, but who cares about that? Lets take 20mins off the Sligo to Dublin rail line. That is really what's needed in Ireland...

It would be nice for the residents of the NW to get to Dublin quicker. But the money that will blow on that motorway could be much better spent in Dublin. Dubliners aren't asking for 20 mins off their semi-annual journey, they just want to be able to get across Dublin in less than 90 mins driving. Taking public transport, you are probably closer to 2 hours

I really, really cannot comment about your woes of congestion up/down (across?) there in the capital, sorry i dont live up there (I dont personally have a desire to live up there either) - you would have to take that up with your powers that be up there why infrastructure isnt better up there - maybe if it was an easier/quicker/more pleasant journey to and from Dublin to the northwest then maybe more people would move out of Dublin and commute from Sligo to Dublin or vice versa if there was a good motorway in place and then Dublin population would spread out and congestion would lessen up in Dublin then it wouldnt take 90 minutes to get across Dublin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Andy you're talking about airports. If we got the DC to Dublin and a DC to Shannon then you'd have 3 major airports within less than two hours with the knock talking about 40 minutes. Getting north South roads as well as East West would be more beneficial and a better way to spend the money imo.

Personally I couldn't give a rats ass about rail. It's absolutely unnecessary in a country as small as Ireland and all rail money should be spent on light rail and commuter train in and around the big cities.

There is NO need for an airport with scheduled flights out of Sligo. There's an airport in Knock with several services, people in west Donegal can use CFN for getting to Dublin too. Sligo is also around 3 hours away from a major international airport.

Rail wise, it'll be beneficial for Sligo railway users when Luas BXD opens as they will have city centre access via change at Broombridge. Further down the line there'll be access to Metro North at Dromcondra for Airport and Swords access. Both will also conenct to Luas Green Line at Stephens Green and will connect to the southern Line at SSG meaning Sligo-Cork can be done by rail if necessary.

Rather than campaigning for a motorway, Sligo should campaign for the N4, N15, N16 and N17 schemes above to be delivered. Given the limited resources there's no point in having a full M4 if the N17 around Curry stays as is.

To true. I've long been a massive champion of knock and Sligo Airport was a waste of time in comparison.

Jayop wrote: »
    To true. I've long been a massive champion of knock and Sligo Airport was a waste of time in comparison.
    Yep, especially when you take into account SXL's size and runway issues.

If the N17 in Sligo was dualled (Sligo has by far the worst standard stretches of N17, especially when the M17 opens), Knock should be reachable in 30/35 minutes. Definitely negates the need for an airport in Sligo especially considering the range of destinations available at Knock.

marno21 wrote: »
    Yep, especially when you take into account SXL's size and runway issues.

If the N17 in Sligo was dualled (Sligo has by far the worst standard stretches of N17, especially when the M17 opens), Knock should be reachable in 30/35 minutes. Definitely negates the need for an airport in Sligo especially considering the range of destinations available at Knock.

Knock is a fantastic airport really, and quite well served considering it's size, and as for the N17, even when you compare it's worst stretches, they still don't compare to the N4s worst sections.

Just continuing on the N17 though, it is a shame the new Motorway does not come that wee bit further, as I do think connecting of the W and NW towns along the Atlantic Corridor ranks higher than a Motorway from Sligo to Dublin.

Now wouldn't expect Motorway all the way either Galway to Sligo, but the roads do need improving in and out of all the W and NW large towns, that includs the N4 improvements as far as Castlebaldwin, N17 to T2 for a distance, Something done with the N16, maybe dualing of the N15 Sligo to Rathcormic to T2, and improvements in and out of Letterkenny. Their short section of DC towards Derry is a bit of a nightmare with its right turn junctions across/through the central reservations.

Also with Dublin expenditure, their public transport is definitely a joke in places. I suppose being from London originally, I am spoilt by their level of transport, but when there is not even a rail link from the City Centre to an international Airport, something is not being done right .

I really, really cannot comment about your woes of congestion up/down (across?) there in the capital, sorry i dont live up there (I dont personally have a desire to live up there either) - you would have to take that up with your powers that be up there why infrastructure isnt better up there -

You don't need to take my word for it

It is ranked 10th most congested city in the World! 3 years ago and it is far worse now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-is-world-s-10th-most-congested-city-1.1818738

Dublin is the sixth most congested city in Europe

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revealed-dublin-ranked-worse-than-london-or-paris-for-road-congestion-34563994.html
    maybe if it was an easier/quicker/more pleasant journey to and from Dublin to the northwest then maybe more people would move out of Dublin and commute from Sligo to Dublin or vice versa if there was a good motorway in place and then Dublin population would spread out and congestion would lessen up in Dublin then it wouldnt take 90 minutes to get across Dublin ;)

Dubliners commute daily from Dublin to Sligo? Why would they want to move to Sligo? A four hour around journey per day? You honestly don't know what you are on about at all. A majority of Dublin would not commute from Sligo if you paid them. The standard of living is horrific compared to Dublin.

Money needs to be spent in Dublin not spent on motorways to places where people dont care about where 40% of the population lives.

I have a feeling if most of this thread experienced Dublin congestion they would realise this motorway is not in anyway badly needed compared to money spent on Dublin

I dont understand why a thread to dscuss an idea of a motorway needed between sligo to Dublin (or sligo to link up to existing M4 in Westmeath) has all of a sudden eroded into a discussion about how congested Dublin has got and that should be number 1 priority, why is the issue of Dublin being congested and the crap transport infrastructure just kept to the Dublin threads on boards and leave this thread to discuss a possible idea of a motorway from sligo to Dublin/vice-versa - its starting to detract from the original thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Just as a point: that's actually not true.

The following local all produced an LPT surplus

Cork City Council
    Kerry County Council
    Clare County Council
    Cork County Council
    Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
    Dublin City Council
    Fingal County Council
    Galway City Council
    Kildare County Council
    Meath County Council
    South Dublin County Council
    Wicklow County Council

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/LocalGovernment/Administration/FileDownLoad%2C43581%2Cen.pdf

Also property tax is down to valuation and population density so obviously will leave a strong bias toward the south and east of the county.

It doesn't really help the NW's argument - but a very significant % of Irish GDP more than 15%, and the largest part of the industrial output is actually in the SW.

I find this "Dublin vs down the country" thing a bit ridiculous.

A fast link from Sligo into Galway City might actually make a lot more sense and help cement a bit of a regional economy too.

Doesn't necessarily need to be motorway but should be Hugh quality.

Likewise Sligo Dublin is very hard to justify as motorway Co. Cork for example has a population of over half a million most of which is in Cork City's hinterland.

We need appropriate infrastructure in Sligo and the NW. What's there at present is inadequate but we also don't need a hugely expensive motorway that's completely underutilised.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Knock is a fantastic airport really, and quite well served considering it's size, and as for the N17, even when you compare it's worst stretches, they still don't compare to the N4s worst sections.

Just continuing on the N17 though, it is a shame the new Motorway does not come that wee bit further, as I do think connecting of the W and NW towns along the Atlantic Corridor ranks higher than a Motorway from Sligo to Dublin.

Now wouldn't expect Motorway all the way either Galway to Sligo, but the roads do need improving in and out of all the W and NW large towns, that includs the N4 improvements as far as Castlebaldwin, N17 to T2 for a distance, Something done with the N16, maybe dualing of the N15 Sligo to Rathcormic to T2, and improvements in and out of Letterkenny. Their short section of DC towards Derry is a bit of a nightmare with its right turn junctions across/through the central reservations.

Also with Dublin expenditure, their public transport is definitely a joke in places. I suppose being from London originally, I am spoilt by their level of transport, but when there is not even a rail link from the City Centre to an international Airport, something is not being done right .

The N17 through Sligo is still pathetic, and needs replacing badly. Unfortunately, it won't be done soon.

There's a suspended DC scheme from Tuam-Claremorris. The traffic on the N17 north of Tuam simply doesn't warrant the traffic levels for a motorway. Of course there will likely be an increase in traffic on the N17 north of Tuam when the M17 opens, but still likely not motorway volume.

One of the few schemes on national roads that is NOT suspended is the N13 dual carraigeway upgrade. The right turn mess will be replaced with a grade seperated junction. The full length of the DC will be tidied up and there will be a link road connected to the N56 north of Letterkenny.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Knock is a fantastic airport really, and quite well served considering it's size...

Shame they dont do a flight from Knock to Dublin ... aer arran used to do once but they went bust . Where I live we can get/drive to knock airport in around 35mins - and then what say 40mins flight to Dublin airport - all this opposed to a 3 hour train ride or 4hour bus/coach ride

Shame they dont do a flight from Knock to Dublin ... aer arran used to do once but they went bust . Where I live we can get/drive to knock airport in around 35mins - and then what say 40mins flight to Dublin airport - all this opposed to a 3 hour train ride or 4hour bus/coach ride
    The Aer Arann Knock-Dublin flight was a Government subvented flight. It ended because the Government suspended the subvention, due to low passenger numbers. With the N5 upgrades in recent years, there would be even less demand for a NOC-DUB flight. Not viable I'm afraid. Much better to invest the subvention costs in surface transport improvements.

35 minute drive 40 minute flight and an hour waiting in the airport, then you have to get out of Dublin airport. You're saving no time and spending a lot more money for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

You don't need to take my word for it

It is ranked 10th most congested city in the World! 3 years ago and it is far worse now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-is-world-s-10th-most-congested-city-1.1818738

Dublin is the sixth most congested city in Europe

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revealed-dublin-ranked-worse-than-london-or-paris-for-road-congestion-34563994.html

Dubliners commute daily from Dublin to Sligo? Why would they want to move to Sligo? A four hour around journey per day? You honestly don't know what you are on about at all. A majority of Dublin would not commute from Sligo if you paid them. The standard of living is horrific compared to Dublin.

Money needs to be spent in Dublin not spent on motorways to places where people dont care about where 40% of the population lives.

I have a feeling if most of this thread experienced Dublin congestion they would realise this motorway is not in anyway badly needed compared to money spent on Dublin

I don't get this snobbish attitude from some people in Dublin....
    Fair enough its your opinion, but there are plenty of people who would completely disagree with you on that one.
    I Have lived and worked in Dublin for many's of years, I live up in Donegal now and consider myself and my family to have a far better standard of living than I think I would if I was back in Dublin. I know of an Indian family who live near me here and they also lived in Dublin, and he told me that he would never go back to Dublin, he much prefers it up here.
    Anyway this is all off topic so ill stop now...

I actually agree with you that there is not enough money being spent on Dublin infrastructure, and I don't think a motorway would be justified to Sligo but there are some dangerous stretches that do need upgrading as soon as possible.

I don't get this snobbish attitude from some people in Dublin....
    Fair enough its your opinion, but there are plenty of people who would completely disagree with you on that one.
    I Have lived and worked in Dublin for many's of years, I live up in Donegal now and consider myself and my family to have a far better standard of living than I think I would if I was back in Dublin. I know of an Indian family who live near me here and they also lived in Dublin, and he told me that he would never go back to Dublin, he much prefers it up here.
    Anyway this is all off topic so ill stop now...

I actually agree with you that there is not enough money being spent on Dublin infrastructure, and I don't think a motorway would be justified to Sligo but there are some dangerous stretches that do need upgrading as soon as possible.

+1

We may not have any Starbucks, but we did get an Insomnia in the last couple of months.

:D

....I actually agree with you that there is not enough money being spent on Dublin infrastructure, and I don't think a motorway would be justified to Sligo but there are some dangerous stretches that do need upgrading as soon as possible.

None of us are furnished with crystal balls nor have special gifts or powers to look into the future unfortunately ... but we can have vision if we just think out of the box - I personally have a vision of a motorway being built, then people using it to commute quickly to A & B , open up tourism , Make it more attractive for people to set up business near the motorway , bring more people to the area to live and work. I have seen before what motorways can do to areas in the way of opening possibilities up and bringing new life to areas ....

None of us are furnished with crystal balls nor have special gifts or powers to look into the future unfortunately ... but we can have vision if we just think out of the box - I personally have a vision of a motorway being built, then people using it to commute quickly to A & B , open up tourism , Make it more attractive for people to set up business near the motorway , bring more people to the area to live and work. I have seen before what motorways can do to areas in the way of opening possibilities up and bringing new life to areas ....

Sorry Andy, but I too agree a Motorway is not justifiable, by all means, reclassify the DC from the end of the existing M4 to Mullingar to Motorway, maybe DC to Longford, and reclassify the HQDC in Sligo to Motorway, and build the DC to Castlebaldwin. Most of the road in between is not actually to bad, bar all the Roundabouts around Longford, and the bottleneck at Carrick. I have rarely got held up on route, and have done Sligo to Maynouth in both directions at all times of the day and night in around 2 hrs. I won't count between Maynouth and Dublin, as that as taken me another 30 to 60 minutes depending on time of day.

I still think connecting the towns in the West and Northwest as more important for this region, tourism, commuting, and trade movements are important here too. Whilst the transport infrastructure may be bad in Dublin, it's worse here, and could get even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm from dublin (dundrum to be spefic) and the standard of life in sligoin not worse
    its different but its easily comparable

Advertisement