Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESTA - esta.ie - is it a legit site?

• 11-04-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am travelling to Canada in the summer and thinking of going to the USA whilst over there.

I was told I'd need the ESTA so I googled how much it was and saw it was $14.

I googled "ESTA application" and the first website that popped up was www.esta.ie. Very legitimate looking site. Filled out the application and credit card details and just as I clicked "Pay" I noticed in the small print that it was $85!

I since found out that the official ESTA application site is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta.

I'm now panicking a little, have I been scammed?
    Or is esta.ie just like an agency? If I'll get a legit visa from it I'll be happy albeit annoyed that I spent $85 rather than $14 but I'll be even more upset if it's not a legitimate site.

I'm normally quite savvy when it comes to these things so I'm really annoyed.

If anyone has been in the same shoes with esta.ie, can they put my mind at ease - will I get a legit travel visa?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Not legit. Sorry.

From their Contact Us page:
    Legal Disclaimer:This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States. Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit.

When you pay, you go to an external site:
    For expedited service, we recommend you contact us by email at info@evisaservices.com. However, if you prefer to call, you may contact us at +423 231 25 29. The country code for the Principality of Liechtenstein is +423. Long distance charges may apply depending on your location and calling plan.

Your money is now in Lichtenstein.

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

When it comes to US immigration, I would never trust a site that isn't .gov or linked from a .gov site. In saying that, my guess is this esta.ie site is a private company just trying to make money off applications (the ESTA costs $14). They probably still process your application. You should be able to check the ESTA application here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ and see if US immigration has received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

I emailed them straightaway asking them to cancel my application and to refund me, and in fairness less than an hour later they replied saying they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

(unless things have changed recently) An ESTA only applies if arriving in the USA by air

I went to Montreal a couple of years ago and got a train to New York. Like you I applied for an ESTA but ended up having to pay $6 for another entry stamp when immigration got on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Riskymove wrote: »
    (unless things have changed recently) An ESTA only applies if arriving in the USA by air

I went to Montreal a couple of years ago and got a train to New York. Like you I applied for an ESTA but ended up having to pay $6 for another entry stamp when immigration got on the train.

Still true. If you are entering the US via a land border (which you do, if you are entering by car, bus or train) you don't need an ESTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

I'll be flying down so I'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

ESTA is not a visa - it's permission to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CheezePleeze

i JUST paid for 5! of these ests through this site. Thankfully I noticed the $85 charge (read the small print!), rang the VISA card company. He said I could not cancel the transactions, but that all I could do is contact the vendor.
    I have just emailed the vendor, and am hoping for a reply.

I'll keep you informed...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

This happen to me last year .I emailed them as there was a 7 day cancel policy and I got my money back in 10 days so hopefully you will be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

It's not just in the small print, it's on the second screen you click on (I can't post pics). Do people really not concentrate that much :o?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CheezePleeze

I got an email in from them pretty promptly, confirming that they would not be charging me for their services. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

It's not just in the small print, it's on the second screen you click on (I can't post pics). Do people really not concentrate that much :o?!

I'm surprised people don't see the '.ie'. How can that be a US site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lynzvong

I've just been done as well, so annoyed at myself but heres what I found in a bid to get a refund:

Refund Policy
    1) Your right to withdraw

You can request a refund if you do not find either our product or the service we provide to be satisfactory. Under the terms of our refund policy, you are able to withdraw from your contract whenever you want. In order to exercise this right, you must email our customer service team at billing@ immigrationfirst.org, formally informing us in writing that you have the intention of withdrawing from the contract.

2) The result of withdrawal

Should you choose to withdraw from this contract, you will be reimbursed for all payments made. Your payments will be reimbursed using the same mode of payment by which you first made a payment.

All transactions are conducted in United States dollars. Your refund will be issued in US dollars and posted within two working days of your written request for withdrawal from your contract. Once you have received the payment, your bank or credit card company may convert it to your local currency. You will receive the same USD $ amount as charged in return.

If your payment was done via credit card, we will issue your refund to the same credit card used in the initial transaction. No refunds can be made by money order, cheque or cash. There is no charge to request a cancellation request.

3) Withdrawal information

When sending your written request for withdrawal from the contract by email to billing@ immigrationfirst.org, you must include the following details:

The reason you are requesting the refund
    Your order number (contained in the email message you received confirming your order)
    The last four digits of the credit or debit card you used to pay for your order
    Your name, as it originally appeared in the billing information provided

4) Addendum

We are a private company, and have no affiliation or connection with any government. If your electronic travel authorisation (E-Visa) is declined when we apply for it on your behalf, we are liable for the financial responsibility. Exclusive and final discretion to grant or refuse admission to your country of destination lies with the customs officer at your port of entry.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding our Refund Policy, please email us at: billing@ immigrationfirst.org

The 3rd point is most important, tells you what info to send and to what email address.
    Ive just sent them an email and waiting to hear back.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else who unfortunately ends up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fairymojo

Hi

I got caught last night by getting my ESTA on esta.ie. An easy mistake when it is the top return on a google.ie search for ESTA. Steer clear. Luckily I emailed them and they have not taken the money from my account. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

It's not an easy mistake if you've an ounce of common sense and don't just blindly click into the first link and start spewing out sensitive personal info with no consideration. There is even a big legal disclaimer on the page informing you that it's not the official site!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fairymojo wrote: »
    I got caught last night by getting my ESTA on esta.ie. An easy mistake when it is the top return on a google.ie search for ESTA.

You must have put in some additional keyword(s) because if you search for 'esta' alone, the official site comes up top of the screen.

Permit me to draw your attention (by emboldening sections of the text below) to multiple sections of the disclaimer at the top of the esta.ie homepage where they attempt to alert you to the fact that it is not the official site for ESTA....

Disclaimer: This website provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, and is a private website not affiliated with the U.S. government. Outgoing links on this website goes to a third-party website that offers assistance in submitting ESTA applications. The service is provided by a private company, which charges a fee of US$ 73,00 in addition to the U.S. government fee of US$ 14,00. The total service fee for their service is US$ 87,00. If you do not wish to use a private company, you may submit your ESTA application directly at the official U.S. government website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fairymojo

It's not an easy mistake if you've an ounce of common sense and don't just blindly click into the first link and start spewing out sensitive personal info with no consideration. There is even a big legal disclaimer on the page informing you that it's not the official site!

Awh common sense... I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Advertisement