Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Ah very clever. I had the image of yer man up in a tower with a list of numbers and names. Now that I've written that down it does sound ridiculous. Nice to know how these things work. It was such a buzz to hear my name called out.

Its what happens in Ballycotton and they do a great job at it. Must be stressful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Ah very clever. I had the image of yer man up in a tower with a list of numbers and names. Now that I've written that down it does sound ridiculous. Nice to know how these things work. It was such a buzz to hear my name called out.

Very good - you learn something from every race - I had the same idea as you! I remember my name being called out last year - have no idea if it was this year - I could hear nothing and the whole finishing straight is a blur save for me looking at the finishing clock as it ticked 3:14:xx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

We do it all the big events we are involved in. We were not at Ballycotton this year past so not sure if it was done then or not. Does anyone know? Hope to be back there in 2013 if invited by John and the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

That was a great day yesterday.
    I wasn't meant to be running any of it but got drafted at the last minute for a charity relay team.
    I ended up running the 3 first legs of the relay slightly ahead of the 3:45 pacers (despite having handed over the band to another runner).
    Set a new PB for a 1/2 (unofficial of course, just going off clock time.)
    The water situation at the first few stations was a bit off, I wasn't too bothered until heading down the glanmire road and there was some crazy crossed paths later on as people tried to get water, which is understandable.
    Coasted back to the city hall, collected my gear and strolled up to the finish line just in time to see Robin glide across the finish line, and after a "short" wait saw my running buddy wiggle storm home for his superb time.
    The highlights, having to jump over some girl at the start who was trying to recovery her dropped phone after the gun, the crowd along the route, the friendly runners, walkers and marshals and the fact that it wasn't piddling rain.
    It's one I will pencil in for next year, the timing was a bit off for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've finished my race pace report, for anyone interested.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2012/06/another-one-in-bag.html

I'd love to read other race reports as well. If you've run the race, please write up something and post a link for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'd love to read other race reports as well. If you've run the race, please write up something and post a link for all to see.

Great report as always Thomas.

That tops off the race for me - quoted in your blog and even get my head into a couple of photos on it :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was pretty bent out of shape after race. Had that 'never putting myself through that again' feeling for a few hours. But hobbling around now and thinking...you know what...maybe I'll have a look at that Run Ireland Events Calendar in the next few days...

Was there some incident with a car running into a water station or relay changeover area?

How'd you do? Sub 3:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Looking at the results i think i was first m 40 finisher in the half does this earn me a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Didn't have any negative issues with the race at all.
    Just two suggestions, for registration could the organisers specify if they are going to have ladies and men's tee shirts. There is a big difference between men's and ladies sizes. Also some chocolate in the goodie bag wouldn't go amiss :)

• Advertisement

How'd you do? Sub 3:30?

Still feeling the effects...in fairness you said I had it in me going by other times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Still feeling the effects...in fairness you said I had it in me going by other times.

Yep, knew you'd do it. Sounds like it was a tough day out there too and it's quite a tough course. Could knock a chunk off that in Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

For anyone that's interested they can view my race report here.

Cork was my 5th Marathon and my 2nd Cork City Marathon.

3:14:37 gives me a PB of nearly 11 mins.

Garmin Link

Background
    Having cracked 3:30 in Berlin last September I set myself a goal of 3:15 for 2012.
    I trained to hit this in Rotterdam in April but due to injury had to scale back the target in Rotterdam and ran a relatively comfortable 3:25 over there.
    Having run Cork last year I had always intended to come back again this year but to simply enjoy the race.

On the way home on the plane from Rotterdam my mate put it into my head that I might as well give it a lash in Cork for 3:15 and so what if the wheels come off sure I've nothing to prove to anybody but myself.
    Sound advice I thought.

Between missing races due to injury and not running Rotterdam at full effort I was a little concerned that I was going to be running in Cork without having had an all-out effort since a 5 mile race last December but then again I was looking forward to the opportunity to do so.

Race Weekend
    Felt good coming up to race weekend and the only real issue I had to contend with was avoiding catching a cold from the missus - even took to sleeping in a different bedroom for a couple of nights.
    We arrived down to Cork on Saturday - picked up the number en route to the hotel. Collected my parents from the train station on Sunday.

Nice family dinner in the hotel and off to bed early.

Race Day
    Got up at 6am for the breakfast - porridge, toast, coffee and bananas.
    Was joined for breakfast by a chap from Bohermeen and had a relaxing enough chat with him - he went on to crack 3hrs.

Made my way to the start with the missus and 2 kids in tow. Did a bit of a warm up and into the start area with me.
    Beautiful morning weather wise for the race if just a little too warm but I'd rather that than windy conditions.

Introduced myself to LeCheile and TFB - the 2 x sub 3:15 pacers - and also said hello to Meno and Robinph who were running the relay.
    The first time I met LeCheile and TFB was in my first marathon in Dublin 2010 where I could only stay on their then 3:30 bus for 18 miles before they sailed away from me - this time I was hoping to stay with them from start to finish at a much quicker pace.

Didn't have to wait long and off we go. I'm actually surprised at the size of the 3:15 group and I'm already wondering how many will still be there at the finish and will I be one of them.
    We settle into a rhythm pretty quickly and we're more or less at the right pace. One of the benefits of the pacers is that I don't have to keep fussing over my pace and just go with them.

Giving the heat my mouth got dry pretty quickly and I nearly miss the 1st water stop but manage to grab a bottle.

First 5k done comfortably in 22:53 (Note splits are from Garmin)

LeCheile gets into the 'Come on the 3:15s' mode and demands of any spectators to give us a cheer - all great fun at this stage!
    Take my 1st gel at the water station before 10k and feeling good if somewhat hot.

Second 5k in 22:52.

Soon after we're dropping down into the Jack Lynch tunnel and this is followed by the longest climb of the day back up towards Mahon. I stick with TFB here and note we fall about 20 metres behind LeCheile - I'm happy to do this though rather than go bombing up the slope.
    I see some girl running in a tracksuit top in the heat and suggest she must be from Arizona or something - I find out later that she is indeed from the USA and may be more accustomed to running in the sun.
    I grab a bottle of water at the water station and the top won't open properly so I have great fun trying to suck the water out over the next 5 minutes or so.
    We're closer to LeCheile and his sub-group by the time the Garmin beeps for 15k.

22:59

Over the next km we're back into a single group again. I notice that this brings up the quickest km split so far and am worried that I may pay for this quick km later on but I'm sure TFB knows what he's at!
    We pass the half-marathon start and get a great cheer from everybody. Soon after we take the tight turn into Blackrock Castle car park whare I take my 2nd gel. LeCheile warns us to watch the pace along the narrow waterway section and make sure we stick to the group.

15-20k in 22:27

Soon we cross halfway - 1:36:51 - may be a few seconds fast but more or less spot on. I quite enjoy this part of the Cork Marathon route as we're off the main roads and it feels like we're running on a forest trail for a while. We get some shade from the trees and at the same time a few clouds start to hide the sun so things are going in our favour.
    We soon turn on to the Marina towards Pairc Ui Chaoimh. I start banging on to the group about the mighty Dubs beating Cork in 1983 in the semi-final replay and the great Joe McNally. Soon after TFB starts promoting his blog. I nearly miss the water stop with all the chat and end up downing my 3rd gel without much water.

20-25k in 22:54

We're now back out on the main roads and with it there's a few little steep testers. I'm still feeling game ball at this stage and looking forward to seeing the missus and the kids after the climb up from the Lough. I tell everybody in the group that the missus will have kisses for everybody so to stick with me.
    I'm a bit slow at the next water stop and I get a slap from LeCheile for blocking all those behind me - whoops!
    I take on the water as we run up a slope and all of a sudden I don't feel so good and start to question if I can keep the pace - however once we're on an even keel again the moment passes and I'm feeling good again.
    LeCheile keeps up the encouragement although my now he's not getting a verbal response from the group which has thinned out a bit.

25-30k in 22:59

Take my 4th gel running past the Lough and see the missus and kids at the top of the slope - she's no kisses but she does give me a bottle of water which is probably more welcome at this point. These sections of the course are a bit up and down and I feel I only have to hold it together for the next couple of miles and I'll be fine.
    We get to pass the last relay changeover point on a downhill section and we get a great cheer. We get through the last slope on the Model Farm Road and I'm feeling good and thinking it's straightforward from here in!

30-35k in 23:03

As we go through Inchigaggin Lane I'm still on TFB's shoulder - he comments that I'm looking in good shape and I do feel the same as I did in Rotterdam at the same point even if I'm here over 10 mins earlier.
    I take my last gel as we turn onto the Carrigrohane Road. There's a "stiff" breeze blowing into our faces and I find myself running in front of the group. I settle back in as best I can behind TFB to try and lessen the impact. We're passing dozens of runners along here and it seems like they're barely moving.
    Before we get to the end of the road I start to suffer. TFB suggests that I push on but I tell him I can't - I'll be happy if I can keep at this pace. LeCheile reminds us its all in the head now.
    There's a "funny" moment when the two balloons get tangled and I struggle to give the lads space to disentangle them. At this point the water bottles already have the tops lifted on them for us which is a great help. I'm a bit happier out of the breeze as we turn into the walkway at Fitzgerald Park. Along here the leaders in the half-marathon go whizzing past us.
    LeCheile reminds us at some stage there is only 15 mins to go but that seems a lot.

35-40k in 23:11

We're now running across the Mardyke Bridge. TFB opens up a few metres gap on me but I'm still in front of LeCheile. I'm really starting to struggle. Up until now I'd been glued to the pacers and must have banged my head off the balloons about 50 times. I really don't want to let it slip now. I've no idea if we have any time in the bank.
    As we run up the quays there's one chap stopped with cramp in his calf that he's trying to stretch out. Things start to get worse as I feel pins and needles in my hands - funny enough the legs feel fine but the rest of my body seems to be shutting down.
    I can see the crowd on Patrick's Bridge and just want to be there. Finally I'm crossing the bridge and we're in the finishing straight - TFB in front of me and LeCheile behind me. I don't really hear the crowd and it's all a bit of a blur but I do see the clock ticking away 3:14:xx as I cross the line. No energy for arm raising or showboating.
    I seek out TFB and LeCheile to thank them for their help and encouragement - much appreciated. I give a hug to a couple of other lads in the group - apparently there was only 4 of us left with the pacers at the finish although 2 had pushed on earlier.

40k-Finish 11:17

So - official time 3:14:37

Sit down with the wife, kids and my parents for a few minutes afterwards and wait for that spaced out feeling to pass.
    Realise at this point that as I turn 40 later in the year I have a Boston Qualifying time for 2013 despite the standards tightening up by 6 mins.

Have to say I love this race - although the crowds aren't as big as Dublin I think that's a good thing. The relay changeover points really add to the atmosphere.
    I also enjoy the aspect of having the weekend away for the race I suppose.

Really enjoy the family dinner back at the hotel and this time there's no pasta and plenty of drink!

What's next?

I've never actually raced a half-marathon so might have to pick one in the summer to aim for sub 90 mins.
    No doubt I'll take on an autumm marathon.
    Will deffo throw an entry in for Boston 2013.
    Maybe I can start thinking that a crazy ambition of a 2:59 marathon is just a little bit closer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

Fantastic PaulieYifter, fair play to ya, great race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Great race and report Paulie, brilliant stuff........me very jealous!!!!!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Great race and report Paulie, brilliant stuff........me very jealous!!!!!

Cheers - you'll have your day - I see you're planning to banish the demons pretty quickly so best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done Paulieyifter, I really enjoyed your report.
    Huge congrats on the BQ also:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just throwing another another CCM race report into the mix.

outforarun wrote: »

Great report - well done on pulling out a PB from a near impossible angle.

• Advertisement

Good report.

Have a feeling we were near each other going through tunnel, was doing 7.40s or so for first few miles and fellow beside me started shouting 'Oggy Oggy Oggy' in tunnel.

3.30 caught me but managed to hang on to them. Shared your feelings about how tough it was from the Lough and especially Model Farm Road on.

At the risk of sounding rude, and of course what works for one might not for another, but us it possible you overanalysed your run, up one mile, down the next etc. Were you possibly putting yourself under some pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Great report - Sounds just like my race. Except add 40 mins to finish time. Same pain at 19/20 miles.

Similarly to you, I think my training mileage was too low, although all my LSRs were done correctly, and very comfortably, and felt very confident going into it.

Ahh well, another time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

At the risk of sounding rude, and of course what works for one might not for another, but us it possible you overanalysed your run, up one mile, down the next etc. Were you possibly putting yourself under some pressure?

You're not the only person to have said this. I think there is more than a grain of truth here. I should maybe try focus more on enjoying the run which doesn't have to be at the expense of watching my splits. I think I probably was worrying too much about how I felt and how I was goinf to feel. I don't do that on training runs where I tend to take in the surroundings more. I reckon I will try Dublin at 8:1X pace and hopefully this will relieve some pressure and convince me that I can run a full marathon without dying a death.

Well done on your own sub 3:30. Great running on a day that was difficult for many.

I should maybe try focus more on enjoying the run which doesn't have to be at the expense of watching my splits. I think I probably was worrying too much about how I felt and how I was goinf to feel. I don't do that on training runs where I tend to take in the surroundings more. I reckon I will try Dublin at 8:1X pace and hopefully this will relieve some pressure and convince me that I can run a full marathon without dying a death.

I have been running for about 2 years and have run the great total of 2 marathons, so anything I say might be completely wrong! And one man's casual approach may be anathema to another who prefers the more analytical approach. I remember before my first 10km run a couple of yars back asking a very experienced runner how he would run the first km, the second km and he looked at me and said "its a 10km run, you run all of it as fast as you can". And when you think of the great athletes and the great achievements back though the generations, there were no gels or Garmins or the like.

Did think I was overdoing it on the way out, and that I was going too fast...but just felt comfortable so thought I'd try and do it for as long as possible. Surprised that my split for the second half was within 4 mins of my time for the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I have been running for about 2 years and have run the great total of 2 marathons, so anything I say might be completely wrong! And one man's casual approach may be anathema to another who prefers the more analytical approach. I remember before my first 10km run a couple of yars back asking a very experienced runner how he would run the first km, the second km and he looked at me and said "its a 10km run, you run all of it as fast as you can". And when you think of the great athletes and the great achievements back though the generations, there were no gels or Garmins or the like.

Did think I was overdoing it on the way out, and that I was going too fast...but just felt comfortable so thought I'd try and do it for as long as possible. Surprised that my split for the second half was within 4 mins of my time for the first half.

You can risk blowing up in a 5k/10k by throwing everything at it because you can go again the next week, blow up in a marathon by going out too fast and you throw away 3 months+ of training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Couple of days now have passed on the legs are getting back to normal (who would have thought getting down a stairs would be so difficult).

Reading all your race reports has me itching to go again, thats it DCM2012 here i come!!!

A work colleague said to me 'when you run the marathon, one of two things will happen - 1) you will promise yourself never to do another one again or 2) you'll be bittin by the bug. I'm thinking the latter for the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You can risk blowing up in a 5k/10k by throwing everything at it because you can go again the next week, blow up in a marathon by going out too fast and you throw away 3 months+ of training. :)

thats the fecking thing about marathons. Very difficult to get everything right for one day. but i suppose thats the challenge and its why there seems to be an extra bit of magic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

alitoast wrote: »
    A work colleague said to me 'when you run the marathon, one of two things will happen - 1) you will promise yourself never to do another one again or 2) you'll be bittin by the bug. I'm thinking the latter for the moment!!
    Or both within a half hour of each other!!

I seem to have picked up the virus again that knocked me out of action a couple of weeks ago. Not sure I want to be told by a Doctor to go on a course of antibiotics during my 9 days in Poland!:eek:

alitoast wrote: »

All I could think of after that effort was never again. I had kinda only entered DCM in a fit of madness last year. And then I wanted to do Cork anyway, because I love the city and because I wanted to say "I am a marathon runner"...as opposed to "I once ran a marathon".

And now I'm thinking...could I ever run a 3.20...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

With the weather leading up to last Monday & now the weather for the rest of this week in Cork at least, have to say we were very lucky with the nice sunny morning!

Advertisement